Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Hughmoris posted:

For those who use Ansible at their jobs, can you give me some examples of how it's being used? Sometimes the marketing talk and blogger dazzle doesn't match up to the reality of how a product is used.

We use Ansible playbooks to automate setting up development environments in WSL on developer laptops.

It's great because, instead of relying on some kludgy shell scripts that one person wrote years ago and nobody knows how to update, now we've got some kludgy playbooks that one person wrote years ago and nobody knows how to update, but it sounds better on a resume.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

xzzy posted:

What's worse: covid or the cloud

Yes.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Hughmoris posted:

For those who use Ansible at their jobs, can you give me some examples of how it's being used? Sometimes the marketing talk and blogger dazzle doesn't match up to the reality of how a product is used.

*I'm curious because I'm thinking about applying for an associate-level Devops job and I have a lot of what they're looking for except Ansible experience.

Ansible/AWX is used for network configuration management and templating for the whole environment. Also using it for managing various server side jobs, environment customization etc.

Network config is the big one though. Kills config drift and makes all changes controlled through a managed pipeline instead of ad hoc.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Hughmoris posted:

*I'm curious because I'm thinking about applying for an associate-level Devops job and I have a lot of what they're looking for except Ansible experience.

Do some home labs and get some ansible experience! It’s very simple to do basic stuff with and it’s stupidly flexible.

It’s fundamentally a replacement for “run this script against X hosts”, with a ton of the error handling and idempotence handled out of the box for you. You can use it as a configuration management tool but that’s really just scratching the surface. We use it for preparing our packer VM builds, for configuring and managing services in client environments, and even for certificate rotation for the handful of places we haven’t fully automated with vault. It’s easily my favourite configuration management tool compared to Salt/Chef/the terrible cloud provider offerings. Great for network automation too though I’ve not used it much in that capacity.

Who amongst us was not prematurely aged after the better part of a decade in this industry*?

*offer not valid for workers who have a >10 meter commute or a physically demanding/destructive/demeaning job.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

The Iron Rose posted:

Do some home labs and get some ansible experience! It’s very simple to do basic stuff with and it’s stupidly flexible.

It’s fundamentally a replacement for “run this script against X hosts”, with a ton of the error handling and idempotence handled out of the box for you.

This is 90% of what we use it for and it's still been a great tool for us. We have a Python script that dumps our inventory database into an Ansible inventory file. We write playbooks for common security fixes on legacy platforms, and tedious CMs just become "ansible playbook blah blah blah target=DISPATCH_prod".

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
A good way I've seen ansible described is "functional confluence pages" so if you have a process, any process, that you'd write a confluence page on, with step by step instructions, instead do it in ansible.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Cenodoxus posted:

We use Ansible playbooks to automate setting up development environments in WSL on developer laptops.

It's great because, instead of relying on some kludgy shell scripts that one person wrote years ago and nobody knows how to update, now we've got some kludgy playbooks that one person wrote years ago and nobody knows how to update, but it sounds better on a resume.

i think ansible is pretty nice and easy to work with but yeah a lot of poo poo ends up being, you have an ansible playbook that is 30 lines long and references 3 other files, this could have been a 6 line shell script. But at the same time, one of the benefits of that verbosity and the simplicity of yaml (in the ansible context, at least), plus having, in general, very good documentation, is it has a pretty shallow learning curve -- its reliably been one of things our jr admins have been able to pick up most easily. we use it for IaC and all kinds of procedural stuff we have to do routinely, although the Ansible for IaC stuff is gradually being replaced by hashicorp products on one end of the spectrum and containerization on the other. I think Ansible shines pretty nicely when used with Packer though. it is a lot easier to dive into than chef, although it functions pretty differently to achieve a similar goal.

post hole digger fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Aug 4, 2023

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

tbh Ansible's a lot less bad than I made it sound. The agentless model is fantastic. Chef Client can burn in hell for all eternity.

My biggest frustration to date has been trying to manage a ton of host and group variables in a clean manner with an easily-defined hierarchy for overrides. With Ansible, everything's just a big block of YAML and there are no less than 500 ways to do X. Host/group variable management is the one single thing I actually miss about Chef.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Cenodoxus posted:

tbh Ansible's a lot less bad than I made it sound. The agentless model is fantastic. Chef Client can burn in hell for all eternity.

My biggest frustration to date has been trying to manage a ton of host and group variables in a clean manner with an easily-defined hierarchy for overrides. With Ansible, everything's just a big block of YAML and there are no less than 500 ways to do X. Host/group variable management is the one single thing I actually miss about Chef.

Yes this is definitely the biggest weakness. You have to rig it up yourself and unless you keep good control of it, results in different people doing it in different ways all over the place.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

What are the thread's recommendations for RMM solutions that don't require the end user to do anything? We're using ScreenConnect currently and while it works fine, I would say 1/5 or 1/4 users struggle with having to click the link and run the program to get the remote session going

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

johnny park posted:

What are the thread's recommendations for RMM solutions that don't require the end user to do anything? We're using ScreenConnect currently and while it works fine, I would say 1/5 or 1/4 users struggle with having to click the link and run the program to get the remote session going

If you're already using SC, just deploy the agent to machines. It's not a true RMM (that's why Connectwise sells, y'know, Connectwise), but it gives you a decent chunk of info and is relatively easy to deploy - SC will build you an MSI / PKG / EXE and it's like 2 MB.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
how the gently caress did the vpn manage to make a msi that doesn't work with intune

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

johnny park posted:

Do you mean RMM or do you want a remote support application? Are these endpoints you manage?

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Sorry, I guess I didn't understand what RMM meant. I mean a remote support application for user laptops, yes

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
For what it's worth, this is a major, never-ending debate, but you can absolutely use Ansible and it's good for the things it's good for, but you can also just roll your own Python scripts with other packages (Netmiko, Nornir, etc.) and it's somewhat more flexible. Either tool set is fine if it does what you need it to, but Ansible isn't the only option.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
We use the “remote support standard” license for screenconnect and deploy the agent. It’s per concurrent tech so you don’t even need one per tech if you’re cheap and a light work load.

Hosted on the cloud with AAD entra as our idp.

Cyks fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Aug 4, 2023

Sunblood
Mar 12, 2006

I'm a freakin' blur here!

guppy posted:

For what it's worth, this is a major, never-ending debate, but you can absolutely use Ansible and it's good for the things it's good for, but you can also just roll your own Python scripts with other packages (Netmiko, Nornir, etc.) and it's somewhat more flexible. Either tool set is fine if it does what you need it to, but Ansible isn't the only option.

God I miss the days when people used descriptive names for their poo poo. Now every little library or platform or tool has to have a google-safe name like "Flerpy" or "Bythma" and if you don't know what those are or what they do or why anyone would use them then it's just more work to find out why using "Bample" is a better solution to your current problem than using "Prixbag" or "Ungungundu".

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

Cyks posted:

We use the “remote support standard” license for screenconnect and deploy the agent. It’s per concurrent tech so you don’t even need one per tech if you’re cheap and a light work load.

Hosted on the cloud with AAD entra as our idp.

:flag:

you're in posting jail for using entra

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

johnny park posted:

Sorry, I guess I didn't understand what RMM meant. I mean a remote support application for user laptops, yes

Do you meet the prerequisites for this?

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/mem/intune/fundamentals/remote-help

Susat
May 31, 2011

Taking it easy, being green
Nvidia engineers are back today. And we're going over the testing process for their GPU servers. Got a quiet, fearful "oh poo poo" when he dropped a 10,000 dollar known-good GPU in the ground.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Susat posted:

Nvidia engineers are back today. And we're going over the testing process for their GPU servers. Got a quiet, fearful "oh poo poo" when he dropped a 10,000 dollar known-good GPU in the ground.

In the box?

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

3|\|tr@

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

i am a moron posted:

:flag:

you're in posting jail for using entra

I love that it’s being called just Identity in the admin portal.

And intune, formally Microsoft Endpoint Manager, is just Endpoint.

Trauts
May 1, 2010
So, how would y'all go about sharing out another user's calendar to the admin or that users boss in exchange online? So they can schedule. Been resetting pw's then manually sharing the calendar. Far from ideal. Help

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
I’m not even going to dignify that with a let me google that for you link

Trauts
May 1, 2010
Is it really only doable in power shell?

Sunblood
Mar 12, 2006

Yeah, Powershell or paid addons (we use Easy365Manager, it's an ADUC plugin)

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

No, and despite iaam's snarkiness it is a straightforward exchange admin task.

thinking of full mailbox not calendar only

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

Lol drat I was being a dick since when can’t you delegate calendar permissions using Outlook or the UI?? Or did I imagine that’s how you do it

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

You know what I’m glad I don’t know. gently caress email never read em

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The user would delegate it, yes. I guess if the user isn’t available and you need to give out permissions?

Though not sure why you’d give an employee’s boss permission to schedule for them directly on their calendar. The only time I’ve ever done what is being asked is to give permissions out to somebody’s assistant because they were computer illiterate.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

I'll ask on Monday, thanks!

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

johnny park posted:

I'll ask on Monday, thanks!

Heads up, it’s $3.50/mo per user (both helper and helpee!) making it stupidly expensive with less features than connectwise.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
Got an interview next week for a senior engineer position. Pay is topped out at $100k but I think I'm okay with that being as I live in a relatively low cost of living area. It is for an MSP but on their projects side rather than triage or helpdesk work, which would be a-ok with me. I've wanted to at least try with an MSP for several years now so I could get a taste of a bunch of different tech, but am nervous it still might have the same issues that you hear with MSPs.

Either way it's nice to finally have companies start actually reaching out for interviews. Ready to get back to work.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

Cyks posted:

The user would delegate it, yes. I guess if the user isn’t available and you need to give out permissions?

Though not sure why you’d give an employee’s boss permission to schedule for them directly on their calendar. The only time I’ve ever done what is being asked is to give permissions out to somebody’s assistant because they were computer illiterate.

Some departed employees boss is probably using the calendar because it’s…. Critical or something

If you have access to the account just do this: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/allow-someone-else-to-manage-your-mail-and-calendar-41c40c04-3bd1-4d22-963a-28eafec25926

Sunblood
Mar 12, 2006

I try not to grant myself direct access to mailboxes if I can help it. Set-MailboxFolderPermission would be the less messy way to do it.

Trauts
May 1, 2010

Cyks posted:

Yeah that's essentially why I'm doing that. These are people who don't want to deal with m365 stuff beyond checking their schedule or email - plus aren't in the office at all much. So their passwords get reset when something needs to be changed. Its not terrible but it just isn't ideal; especially since I just got everyone on board with having separate passwords rather than..not.

I worked out a powershell script I think will do what I want without resetting pw's but testing it on my account wasnt successful. I've got the email helpdesk etc roles on for me. Tbf though I've very very little experience with powershell. And all things m365. Stuff was simpler last time I was doing anything like this (a decade ago lol)

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

Trauts says they are constantly resetting passwords so we might be in a ‘lol… sigh’ kinda scenario here

Edit: send them my link and tell them to sort it the gently caress out themselves

Trauts
May 1, 2010
Thanks for the link and the confirmation I was on the right track with the powershell. I am actually leaning towards not setting up delegate access since it apparently generates more email notifications. The Can edit events level should be sufficient I think. Anyways thanks for the help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Sunblood posted:

I try not to grant myself direct access to mailboxes if I can help it. Set-MailboxFolderPermission would be the less messy way to do it.

This is the way I do it when my boss lets me, it's pretty straightforward. follow this guide and make sure you understand the syntax before you start changing anything. IIRC you'll need the 365 exchange admin role if you're on AAD.