Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

Barudak posted:

Kemco bundle is 200 dollars for 50 games.

Time to finish all the Asdivine games and start arguing about which one is the best with the all none of you who have played them too.

Edit: Asphadia Genesis is medieval fantasy rpg blade runner, laffo.

Man, if I hadn’t just started BG3 I would be all over this. Would definitely love to hear your impressions if you’re interested in sharing them, though! I’ve probably played 5-6 kemco games, and the ones I’ve picked out have been decent times. I’m curious what the stuff I wouldn’t try is like.

I am quite enjoying Baldur’s Gate 3 so far. Good production values, rewarding exploration, intriguing opening.

I was a little concerned that 5e combat and character building would be less exciting when I remember past D&D games with such nostalgia, but I don’t really miss allocating my skill points and nonweapon proficiencies.

I deliberately went into a bandit encounter with suboptimal prep, and the enemy AI impressed me. I used grease spells to try breaking them up, including midway through a doorway, then closing the door, then lighting the grease so it burns underneath it. They scattered sensibly, and they conserved their good spells until they could hit a bunch of my characters. I will remember the risks of taking a cone formation at a choke point next time!

I am looking forward to level 5 a bunch, and am seriously considering having 2 wizards in my party. A dedicated Evocation guy is absolutely amazing in a game where you have serious dungeon architecture and can place a blast so it hits people around a corner and then baits them into arrow range.

I am feeling the same excitement I did with bg2 and Shattered Lands back in the day. You don’t have to be an RPG tactics sicko to play this, but if you are and you seek out hard fights, you will be rewarded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, Atlus in particular never drops their prices but uses the high prices as an excuse to do huge discounts. It's probably a workable marketing strategy for them because "75% off" tends to attract attention

Sega in general does it, too. It's really obvious with the Yakuza series. Yakuza: Like a Dragon is still normally priced at $60 but has gotten 75% off sales by now, and even deeper on third-party sites like Fanatical.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I think Im about half-way into Alphadia Genesis based on world map progress.

Narratively it has too much going on for what appears to be a straightforward 20 hour or less rpg. We've got a romantic rivalry, a secret plot, a person being "manipulated" to evil, learning what it means to be a person, and a leftover character who still needs screentime. Theres too much going on and too weak writing to support all this. The entirely one sided romance in particular is sucking all the air out of the room.

Combat wise it has the usual Kemco issue of undercooked combat design and accessories. Its not from the pseudo cash shop all these games have this time, so far, which is different. Those items seem to have significant penalties or just the translation is so bad I think they do.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, Atlus in particular never drops their prices but uses the high prices as an excuse to do huge discounts. It's probably a workable marketing strategy for them because "75% off" tends to attract attention

Is this the new Atlus meta? That's kinda tame, They used to be pretty big assholes when it came to pricing.

I remember back in the 3ds days, their games were like 1000-2000 yen more expensive than any other game on the 3ds shop. You'd pay like 7400 yen for a Persona Q game if m y memory serves me well, when launch day pokemon was around 5000, and launch day Mon Hun was 6200ish. US releases were always 10 bucks higher, as well, so 49.99 instead of 39.99.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

BabyRyoga posted:

I remember back in the 3ds days, their games were like 1000-2000 yen more expensive than any other game on the 3ds shop. You'd pay like 7400 yen for a Persona Q game if m y memory serves me well, when launch day pokemon was around 5000, and launch day Mon Hun was 6200ish. US releases were always 10 bucks higher, as well, so 49.99 instead of 39.99.

Yeah I remember this, the price gouging was so notorious the thread called it The Atlus Tax.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

avoraciopoctules posted:

Man, if I hadn’t just started BG3 I would be all over this. Would definitely love to hear your impressions if you’re interested in sharing them, though! I’ve probably played 5-6 kemco games, and the ones I’ve picked out have been decent times. I’m curious what the stuff I wouldn’t try is like.

I am quite enjoying Baldur’s Gate 3 so far. Good production values, rewarding exploration, intriguing opening.

I was a little concerned that 5e combat and character building would be less exciting when I remember past D&D games with such nostalgia, but I don’t really miss allocating my skill points and nonweapon proficiencies.

I deliberately went into a bandit encounter with suboptimal prep, and the enemy AI impressed me. I used grease spells to try breaking them up, including midway through a doorway, then closing the door, then lighting the grease so it burns underneath it. They scattered sensibly, and they conserved their good spells until they could hit a bunch of my characters. I will remember the risks of taking a cone formation at a choke point next time!

I am looking forward to level 5 a bunch, and am seriously considering having 2 wizards in my party. A dedicated Evocation guy is absolutely amazing in a game where you have serious dungeon architecture and can place a blast so it hits people around a corner and then baits them into arrow range.

I am feeling the same excitement I did with bg2 and Shattered Lands back in the day. You don’t have to be an RPG tactics sicko to play this, but if you are and you seek out hard fights, you will be rewarded.

I'm so happy it's getting recognized

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i dont think it was ever a question if it'd get recognized it's one of the biggest rpg launches of the year

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
thinking about game news sites trying to doomsay ff16's sales and everyone latching onto the idea of underdog pikmin 4 outselling it cause one guy on twitter said so, when they're, both big releases from famous companies with one on a system that's more popular in japan, owned by the company that released the game on it and has reasons for people to buy physical leading to more physical sales to track

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

there are 5x as many switches as ps5s in japan comparing them directly is a lost cause

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

That tweet also thought 600k sales for a big triple A game was "huge" so its even funnier they didnt even just lie and pick a higher number.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's probly pretty good sales for pikmin cause i can't imagine the games are putting zelda level heft in budget-wise and uh, a lot of the game asset-wise is just higher quality versions of pikmin 2 enemies and bosses lol, but it's funny how so much of the discussion around the series' success focuses on the fact that it's not as well known as mario and thus must mean the games never sell well. weighing sales for a nintendo game is in a weird space cause they're big enough that a game just breaking even probably counts as a failure to them, i don't think they've ever exactly lost money on pikmin they've always seemed to do about average for games of their niche

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Barreft posted:

I'm so happy it's getting recognized

Heck, I'm glad of how Larian has gradually become bigger and more successful over the process of many games over many years. They've earned it.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The Colonel posted:

it's probly pretty good sales for pikmin cause i can't imagine the games are putting zelda level heft in budget-wise and uh, a lot of the game asset-wise is just higher quality versions of pikmin 2 enemies and bosses lol, but it's funny how so much of the discussion around the series' success focuses on the fact that it's not as well known as mario and thus must mean the games never sell well. weighing sales for a nintendo game is in a weird space cause they're big enough that a game just breaking even probably counts as a failure to them, i don't think they've ever exactly lost money on pikmin they've always seemed to do about average for games of their niche

Sure but when the narrative is trying to claim it sold more in Japan than ff16 did worldwide its insane to choose such a small number lol

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

The Colonel posted:

Pikmin 4's first week sales are higher than Pikmin 1-3's combined. It's doing just fine.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Sure but when the narrative is trying to claim it sold more in Japan than ff16 did worldwide its insane to choose such a small number lol

It's even dumber if it's physical sales because PS5 games benefit from being digital and installed on the SSD, rather than using a disc (while it doesn't really matter for a Switch game). Plus digital sales are getting more and more popular in general. The biggest reason to have a disc drive on a PS5 is if you want to play physical PS4 games imo.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

I thought physical PS5 (and PS4 games for that matter) still got installed anyways

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Erg posted:

I thought physical PS5 (and PS4 games for that matter) still got installed anyways

Physical copies actually get cheaper over time because retail shelf space is finite. Digital games can also get pulled from stores for any number of arbitrary reasons.

(Not to say don't use digital storefronts or course, just that there are reasons to favour physical copies)

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Pikmin 4's first week sales are higher than Pikmin 1-3's combined. It's doing just fine.

It's even dumber if it's physical sales because PS5 games benefit from being digital and installed on the SSD, rather than using a disc (while it doesn't really matter for a Switch game). Plus digital sales are getting more and more popular in general. The biggest reason to have a disc drive on a PS5 is if you want to play physical PS4 games imo.

The weird thing about ff16 is that I have a disc ps5, bought ff16 digital, but it made my cd drive spin the entire time. Real odd.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Physical copies actually get cheaper over time because retail shelf space is finite. Digital games can also get pulled from stores for any number of arbitrary reasons.

(Not to say don't use digital storefronts or course, just that there are reasons to favour physical copies)

oh i agree, i want to go physical as often as possible especially with stuff like the 3ds shop shutting down in recent memory.

the "i thought they got installed anyways" bit was in response to this though

Evil Fluffy posted:

It's even dumber if it's physical sales because PS5 games benefit from being digital and installed on the SSD, rather than using a disc (while it doesn't really matter for a Switch game).

i thought PS4/5 games were getting installed to the SSD either way, so i was trying to clarify what they meant there

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Pikmin are cute.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Erg posted:

oh i agree, i want to go physical as often as possible especially with stuff like the 3ds shop shutting down in recent memory.

the "i thought they got installed anyways" bit was in response to this though

i thought PS4/5 games were getting installed to the SSD either way, so i was trying to clarify what they meant there

Ahh, gotcha :hmmyes: For what it's worth, you are correct on that count. Blu-Ray read speeds are relatively slow, so it's why disc games get installed to the internal drive as a matter of course nowdays.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Srice posted:

Heck, I'm glad of how Larian has gradually become bigger and more successful over the process of many games over many years. They've earned it.

I wish they'd go back to to doing weird janky action RPGs because the concept of western turn based combat makes me taste sick a little

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
xenoblade DE's expansion has justified itself with kino's presence alone. this kid rules

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
pikmin 4 the win

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i really wish your crewmates wouldn't ping you over every little thing though

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
also upgrades being purchased with a worthless crafting collectible is kinda lame vs finding them in dungeons and stuff

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
really been enjoying FF Crystal Project, though i'm a bit bummed with how jobs are handled. since it uses the "base job + subjob" system for skills (which i generally vastly prefer over classless systems!) it feels like it really doesn't incentivize trying out new classes once you find something that works. and since all the classes feel very Complete and (at least playing blind) you aren't going to find a lot of jobs until very late, you're probably not going to end up using the vast majority of them.

i see the game has a "randomize jobs" option and that'd definitely be fun in future playthroughs just to force some variety

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
Played someone at Skellige and he didn't have the card icon for Gwent and I'm not sure if that was an error of some kind or if people who have already given me a card don't have that. Before you ask, I don't remember who I played because these motherfuckers blend in after so many hours.

Edit: Looking at a different player that I certainly beat and no, the card icon is still there. Bothered, but I will get over it.

A Bystander fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Aug 6, 2023

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
re: rpgs i've still been plugging away at golden sun dark and it's kinda weird that, if you give everyone djinn of their own element, the warrior guys have bigger spell lists than the caster guys where i am (a little bit past the first point of no return)

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

it's not what you've got, it's what you make of it
got to the Flavour Restaurant and the subsequent Simon visit in Wooden Ocean, and god, even when this game explains things it doesn't explain things. playing this game is what I imagine looking at a lovecraftian being is like, this constant sense of things beyond your understanding. gently caress if I don't love it, though, it's truly a unique experience

fluffyDeathbringer fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Aug 6, 2023

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

How much of Pikmin 4 is the dog.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I bought Pikmin 4 and did not buy FFXVI and have zero goddang regrets.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Inspector Gesicht posted:

How much of Pikmin 4 is the dog.

the dog is insanely busted but you can buy bombs and pocket lightning for the captain so they're busted too. pikmin 4 is more about efficiency than difficulty

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

pikmin 4 is modern nintendo so every time a pikmin dies it sends you a personal apology letter

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Endorph posted:

pikmin 4 is modern nintendo so every time a pikmin dies it sends you a personal apology letter

Cant be, they figured out how to add cutscene skip to this game.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Barudak posted:

Cant be, they figured out how to add cutscene skip to this game.
thank god because there's so loving many in the first hour (does it get better? I was afraid to skip the cutscenes in case they were relevant tutorials cause I haven't played a pikmin since 1, but they kept not being...)

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
im playing through pikmin 2 for the first time and there are a ton of mini cutscenes for the first few hours in that game too. jst constant interruptions from the ship

Barudak
May 7, 2007

DACK FAYDEN posted:

thank god because there's so loving many in the first hour (does it get better? I was afraid to skip the cutscenes in case they were relevant tutorials cause I haven't played a pikmin since 1, but they kept not being...)

It stops after the first hourish. Less time obviously when you realize what you have that none of that poo poo matters and can all be skipped.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008

Countblanc posted:

really been enjoying FF Crystal Project, though i'm a bit bummed with how jobs are handled. since it uses the "base job + subjob" system for skills (which i generally vastly prefer over classless systems!) it feels like it really doesn't incentivize trying out new classes once you find something that works. and since all the classes feel very Complete and (at least playing blind) you aren't going to find a lot of jobs until very late, you're probably not going to end up using the vast majority of them.

i see the game has a "randomize jobs" option and that'd definitely be fun in future playthroughs just to force some variety

Turn on 300% LP. It's pretty much the only way to play if you want to juggle jobs around. I get the playing blind problem though. I got stuck for a while my 1st playthrough when I didn't know where to go next and it soured me on the game until I started making decent progress.

I only have Mime, Summoner, and Beastmaster left to unlock. Just got Time Mage so I can't speak for it yet, but I've found most of the jobs to be worth trying. Some are more situational, but I don't think any are bad. Like a Chemist is really good for boss fights, but I'd rather have any other job for regular fights. I'm pretty sure there are 2 passives that when combined would let you act 1st and cast a magic spell with no MP or CT cost, but I haven't even bothered to try it yet. There seems to be a lot of viable ways to build a party it's just that the early ones are a lot more straightforward.

I'm definitely randomizing jobs next time if I do this again.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Randomized seems like it'd spice up a second playthrough but I'd definitely be annoyed if it dropped summoner early since you get the skills via boss battles (or the late game acc)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

GloomMouse posted:

Randomized seems like it'd spice up a second playthrough but I'd definitely be annoyed if it dropped summoner early since you get the skills via boss battles (or the late game acc)

I guess but also you start with 6 jobs and quickly get ~4 others so like, it's not exactly a big loss. I already didn't use half of my jobs by the time I had a dozen