Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Sakurazuka posted:

Spellblades turning out to have even more in common with Cold Steel since no one actually died last ep lol
Cowards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

i'm still on the gene of ai train. think it's my favorite thing i'm watching this season besides jjk and mygo.

this week's episode was probably the best one yet, dealing with themes of talent and personality and how they intertwine. this show feels kind of like 90s tv in some ways - it's more interested in using a cast of familiar characters (in this case, a doctor's office) to tell episodic stories rather than having an overarching arc. that nostalgia and the themes they're going for are always interesting, even if they occasionally miss the mark.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

I'm still watching AI no Idenshi, but it's not really grabbing me. Gives me somewhat of an urge to rewatch ghost in the shell though.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Waffleman_ posted:

We gotta public domain Columbo, then anime will be overrun with more things

Put Columbo in Ace Attorney

Malsangoroth
Apr 2, 2015

I'm enjoying Gene of AI, but I would be lying if I said I wasn't hoping for a conspiracy to reveal itself and shake things up, given how many rich tools the setting has provided for it. I'm not holding my breath on that one, though.

Malsangoroth fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Aug 4, 2023

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I'd be quite happy if Ai no Idenshi doesn't turn into a conspiracy thriller, so far I've quite enjoyed it as a series of vignettes. It's been a bunch of firmly established archetypal stories, except this time with robots and AI of varying sorts and I think it's done well with them.

I wouldn't be surprised if they ended on an I, Robot-esque twist, but given the overall tone of the story I suspect if there is a deeper plot it will be a relatively grounded one.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Arc Hammer posted:

I haven't really dipped my toes into any shows outside of Helck this season because there really hasn't been much popping out to me. Even Helck is just an okay snack show than anything super meaty. Zom100 I might watch after it ends but as far as weekly watches I'm still rather stumped. I know people are raving for MyGO! Is it supposed to be funny, dramatic or anxiety-inducing? What's it's vibe and are there any other shows that have really been popping off this season?

If youre looking for some light humor/spookiness Dark Gathering is worth a shot. Im enjoying it and think its worth a recommendation as long as you keep in mind it doesnt lean too hard into the horror aspect. Also cant go wrong with Bungo Stray Dogs.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

cave emperor posted:

Murderface is still good but I'm extremely over Sherlock Holmes fanfic. Put that poo poo back in the private domain imo.

Eh their take on Holmes seems fairly loyal so far, which I dig.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Lupin is the weird one for me cause every time I hear Lupin in an anime I'm expecting Lupin the third

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Gene of AI seems replaceable by Real Drive, since it's likely someone never saw that over a decade ago. Same for Dark Gathering, there's enough episodic supernatural detective things to dive back for rather than this mediocre modern incarnation. Though actually I feel like fairly contemporary stuff like Hanako-kun or Muhyo & Rohji have a better look to them too.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

ive already seen many of the episodic supernatural detective things. sometimes you like a genre enough to watch all the new stuff regardless of whether it's in the upper crust

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
they jump right to Moriarty in any adaptation with Holmes, but somehow as a kid, I read every Sherlock Holmes story OTHER THAN the ones dealing with Moriarty.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
the crazy female friend is what's keeping me watching in Dark Gathering

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Yeah same

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

GateOfD posted:

the crazy female friend is what's keeping me watching in Dark Gathering

Yeah this is a big part of it. Plus its not teenagers/high school.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Dark Gathering and Gene of Ai are both decent enough to watch a full episode and finish the series but also will instantly be forgotten by me once they end. But hey that's okay

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Spellblades turning out to have even more in common with Cold Steel since no one actually died last ep lol

Let's see how you feel about that comparison next episode (hopefully).

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Southern Cassowary posted:

i'm still on the gene of ai train. think it's my favorite thing i'm watching this season besides jjk and mygo.

this week's episode was probably the best one yet, dealing with themes of talent and personality and how they intertwine. this show feels kind of like 90s tv in some ways - it's more interested in using a cast of familiar characters (in this case, a doctor's office) to tell episodic stories rather than having an overarching arc. that nostalgia and the themes they're going for are always interesting, even if they occasionally miss the mark.

AI Black Jack

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

GateOfD posted:

they jump right to Moriarty in any adaptation with Holmes, but somehow as a kid, I read every Sherlock Holmes story OTHER THAN the ones dealing with Moriarty.

"The Final Problem" isn't a very good story, frankly. It's one big "show, don't tell" violation; there's a lot of hype about how dangerous and intelligent Moriarty is, but we don't get much in the way of details about his activities, and Watson never even meets him. It feels like the real purpose of all this is an excuse to kill off Holmes, which is exactly what it was. It didn't even succeed at its intended goal, as Doyle eventually gave in to fan pressure and retconned Holmes back to life!

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

i stopped watching anything i checked out after ep 1 cuz of life. sorry, all

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

symbolic posted:

i stopped watching anything i checked out after ep 1 cuz of life. sorry, all

Sounds like you need to become a movie head

There’s only one ep to watch

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

I think I'd be more tolerant of murderfarce having a Sherlock Holmes appearance if it didn't also have every other public domain character from European literature coming in for a HUGE party at the same time

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Erg posted:

i am lol

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Triggerhappypilot posted:

I think I'd be more tolerant of murderfarce having a Sherlock Holmes appearance if it didn't also have every other public domain character from European literature coming in for a HUGE party at the same time

my brother in christ lemme tell u about Bungou Stray Dogs

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

that sounds based, maybe I should get watching this show already

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

symbolic posted:

my brother in christ lemme tell u about Bungou Stray Dogs

In bungo it's the authors

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

In bungo it's the authors

i know but let me make a joke u son of a bitch

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

symbolic posted:

i know but let me make a joke u son of a bitch

Joking about bungo is not allowed

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Joking about bungo is not allowed

you know what, i'll concede at that. i still have to check out further than the first couple eps of season 3

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Bram has hit on NOBODY in bungo yet and I’m beginning to question the writer’s dedication to accurately portraying these authors

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

eagerly awaiting season like 9 when we find Hunter S. Thompson and William S. Burroughs

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Erg posted:

Bram has hit on NOBODY in bungo yet and I’m beginning to question the writer’s dedication to accurately portraying these authors

While some of them (like Dazai) are based on the actual authors, most of them are based more on the authors’ best-known characters.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

Erg posted:

being half-sword sounds like it would take the fun out of things

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

symbolic posted:

eagerly awaiting season like 9 when we find Hunter S. Thompson and William S. Burroughs

The main factions we haven’t met all the main members of yet are the Seventh Agency (Japanese, may not even have any ability users) and the Order of the Clock Tower (British). I don’t think we’ll see more American authors.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The 7th Guest posted:

that sounds based, maybe I should get watching this show already
It's a mix of public domain characters plus a small number of real world people such as the occultist Aleister Crowley

Although to be fair they changed up his appearance a little bit, see if you can spot the subtle differences

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

hes missing the dip on his cheek

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Erg posted:

can confirm it's a good life

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

movies > shows

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I wonder how Sherlock vs our protagonist detective 'fight' will go. It seems Sherlock wins in pure analytical prowess (as hinted by their observation of the thieves in the police wagon) but I'm feeling they can do a (and I'm quoting a Spanish proverb here, the translation makes it a bit clunky) "the Devil knows more through being old than through being a devil". It means the life experience can be invaluable even compared against superior bookish knowledge, and well, she had 900 years of life experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
for those interested, the live action Zom100 got released on netflix, looks to be about a little over 2 hour movie.