Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.
A brewery/brewpub is insane profitability with markups; there's no distribution middleman in between them and a store/restaurant, so it's just right in their pockets. I used to work at one of the biggest craft breweries in the country and we'd charge $5 for a pint (pre-COVID, I think it's $7 now) and the cost of that versus how little it costs to make 16oz of beer is ludicrous. Assuming your beer isn't lovely and you aren't a raging alcoholic who gives it away, you'd have to be a goddamned idiot to fail in that industry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

Milosh posted:

At least i'm honest about it.

The econ onboarding i've taken is already so much bullshit. People actually believe this poo poo too :(
enjoy yourself tbh, there's not a lot of people who do an mba with your level of insight into how stupid it all is, maybe you can write a book about how economic thinking contributes to psychopathy from an informed standpoint and society will still benefit from your spiritual downfall

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Xaris posted:

i feel bad because i don't like drinking that much and i especially dont like paying $15+ for a drink that's priced the same as entrees also like $15+

so i just never order alcohol when dining out and would rather just get another meal and take it home than pay for a tiny drink. it's me, the guy whose causing negative profit to restaurants

the nice thing about being a Marxist is whenever someone complains about declining profits you can just lol & lmao

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Nonsense posted:

it’s time for Apple to announce a new iPhone and save the economy

instead they announced a $3,500 VR set and crashed the economy

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Real hurthling! posted:

people are so desperate an influencer saying he had ps5 to give away just caused a riot in ny

He streams on Rumble 🤣

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
as people get wiser to capitalism's tricks, capitalism must devise new ways to extract their share

Morbus
May 18, 2004

RealityWarCriminal posted:

as people get wiser to capitalism's tricks, capitalism must devise new ways to extract their share

"turns out we can just charge more and they will pay it lol"

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

people are so desperate an influencer saying he had ps5 to give away just caused a riot in ny
they're really excited for Street Fighter 6 at Evo

Only registered members can see post attachments!

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
i've just retreated from society. buying anything feels awful.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

Xaris posted:

afaik appetizers are actually bigger profit margins than entrees? at least most of the time apps are like $10-15 while entrees are close to $17-20 but usually twice as much food. i only sometimes order apps if it's something unique or really sounds good to share, but would probably end up paying way more if we only ordered apps as mains.

in college every other week or so a couple friends and I would get mega stoned and hit up applebees happy hour, it was half off apps (or maybe bogo) and 2-3 dollar pints depending on the beer. A table splitting pitchers and apps was incredibly cheap but of course the tradeoff is applebees apps are literally the same thing as boxed frozen garbage so it's not like the value was high. I feel like they still had to be making money on the beers even if they broke even on apps so it seems like maybe a good promo to have regardless to fill out tables.

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013

a strange fowl posted:

enjoy yourself tbh, there's not a lot of people who do an mba with your level of insight into how stupid it all is, maybe you can write a book about how economic thinking contributes to psychopathy from an informed standpoint and society will still benefit from your spiritual downfall

I know someone who did an MBA in 1990 and started his own business.

"So did the MBA help?" I asked.
"No. It only teaches you how to compete against other middle managers and get the promotion at a big listed firm. It's not actually useful knowledge otherwise."

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Vox Nihili posted:

instead they announced a $3,500 VR set and crashed the economy

jesus i already forgot about that thing

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

Abner Assington posted:

A brewery/brewpub is insane profitability with markups; there's no distribution middleman in between them and a store/restaurant, so it's just right in their pockets. I used to work at one of the biggest craft breweries in the country and we'd charge $5 for a pint (pre-COVID, I think it's $7 now) and the cost of that versus how little it costs to make 16oz of beer is ludicrous. Assuming your beer isn't lovely and you aren't a raging alcoholic who gives it away, you'd have to be a goddamned idiot to fail in that industry.

the brewpub down the street makes a mean lager and made so much goddamn money in the past two years they bought the lot next to them and just fully expanded into an outdoor patio space with a second bar and it's packed all the time.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

RadiRoot posted:

jesus i already forgot about that thing

yeah they memory-holed that one pretty drat quickly

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Morbus posted:

"turns out we can just charge more and they will pay it lol"

Will they? Even the premium consumers are starting to grumble, starting to buy less. It's going to be even worse in October with student loans restarting.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

super sweet best pal posted:

It's going to be even worse in October with student loans restarting.

i repeatedly forget that this is looming and every time I am reminded / remember it I lmao heartily. those assholes are really gonna do it.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Gunshow Poophole posted:

i repeatedly forget that this is looming and every time I am reminded / remember it I lmao heartily. those assholes are really gonna do it.

desperate labors cheap so it'll be good for number

Consolidated Ed
Mar 4, 2005
Lineman for Justice

Frosted Flake posted:

Americans have denied French and Indian claims to territoriality since they landed on the continent, and launched two invasions of Canada to dispute to sovereignty of HRH. Still, after Montreal, Queenston Heights, Chrysler’s Farm and Lundy’s Lane, every American should know by now that the national idea of Canada is one that has (had) resonance.

do you have a maple leaf tattoo like that dude in knocked up? i feel like you should

Cache the Dragon
Jun 16, 2023

cyberscales, LOGIN!

Jel Shaker posted:

the newest iphone update actually has hosed my iphone mini 12

its absolutely boiling half the time, could be the flawed design which is why they dont make them anymore but literally this problem only happened after the new update a few weeks ago
flatten and reinstall fixed this on a 12 mini that came into the shop a few weeks ago. don't restore backup from icloud

not everything is malicious, sometimes its just grade AA+ incompetence

Consolidated Ed
Mar 4, 2005
Lineman for Justice

SKULL.GIF posted:

the vast majority of restaurants go down in flames because the owners think they can profit $10/burger, find out that they're possibly even losing money per plate of food, then are driven insane trying to micromanage and nickel&dime everything and drive away all their good/adequate workers before they get busted for 40 health code violations

thats because a lot of restaurant owners are small business morons who cant work for anybody but themselves.

you cant make big money in food service without serving liquor. lots and lots and lots of booze. thats the secret. thats it. dont sell booze? good luck!

you also cant make big money in food service by selling great food. if that were true, chilis would have gone under in 6 months, and every great neighborhood place would have millionaires for owners.

running a successful restaurant has very little to do with quality or "great" anything. mostly you need addictive cookie cutter paint by numbers food that can be shipped on trucks and assembled like ikea furniture, you need to turn tables over quickly, and you need to sell lots of alcohol...all while stealing from employees.

Consolidated Ed
Mar 4, 2005
Lineman for Justice

NeonPunk posted:

I had an ex who had this exact same thing happen to her couple of years ago. She now work solely as a therapist for rich white household wives and their children. Like you know those op-ed columnists who would write some absolutely hot take, and you wonder how could they possibly sleep at night? They have those therapists who help sooth and calm the contractions in their minds.

yeah but capitalism is the most efficient allocator of resources, so this is actually a Great and Cool Thing That Rules

Consolidated Ed
Mar 4, 2005
Lineman for Justice

cat botherer posted:

Once you enter into a profession that's underpaid and stressful, but socially beneficial, you're morally obligated to keep doing it forever or you're a bad person.

that's correct. lol do you think burnout existed in the soviet union?

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Vox Nihili posted:

yeah they memory-holed that one pretty drat quickly

spending billions to develop a face scanner so they can project a face on the screen, brilliant

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Tsitsikovas posted:

the entire history of grey goose is a cynical application of this. long story short the original owners purposefully overpriced it knowing that just by virture of it being expensive compared to absolut (at the time the most popular vodka in the US) it was gonna sell really well. and it worked.

I know someone who works in marketing for them and makes over $250k/a.

Consolidated Ed
Mar 4, 2005
Lineman for Justice

Nonsense posted:

Some are claiming Afd will be a majority party in Germany at their next election :staredog:

thats the funniest part, europe is going full fascist just as fast as the US, because brown migrants and islam are making european boomers freak out

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

drinking is the only public social activity left

Consolidated Ed
Mar 4, 2005
Lineman for Justice

SKULL.GIF posted:

I think I read something the other day about how zoomers are increasingly avoiding drinking alcohol altogether. Part of this is the availability of weed, part of this is them interacting through devices much more often than previous generations, so there's less "need" for alcohol as a social lubricant. Wonder if that'll have any downstream effects on the hospitality industry.

apparently theyre lovely tippers too lol

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

a strange fowl posted:

magic the gathering

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

Consolidated Ed posted:

I've also seen studies that suggested millennials were lovely tippers and I kinda doubt. I'm guessing it's just an income bracket thing that's not being properly addressed to drive a narrative, cause in my life experience older people tend to think tips are to be earned and find any excuse not to tip while younger people tend to understand it's an economic necessity for service staff and simply do it out of obligation.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Xaris posted:

i feel bad because i don't like drinking that much and i especially dont like paying $15+ for a drink that's priced the same as entrees also like $15+

so i just never order alcohol when dining out and would rather just get another meal and take it home than pay for a tiny drink. it's me, the guy whose causing negative profit to restaurants
I need to booze to forget how much money I’m spending on a lovely Sysco burger

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Consolidated Ed posted:

Big fans of Mr. Pink's speech, eh?

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

cat botherer posted:

I need to booze to forget how much money I’m spending on a lovely Sysco burger

this this

Consolidated Ed
Mar 4, 2005
Lineman for Justice

Frosted Flake posted:

I know someone who works in marketing for them and makes over $250k/a.

you can just say, "per year", sir professor sir. idk if the news has reached you guys in the north pole yet but latin is a dead language, a lingua franca if you will. qed

Consolidated Ed
Mar 4, 2005
Lineman for Justice

Horseshoe theory posted:

Big fans of Mr. Pink's speech, eh?

who the gently caress is mr pink. i dont listen to speeches, i have a job

Consolidated Ed
Mar 4, 2005
Lineman for Justice

PoundSand posted:

I've also seen studies that suggested millennials were lovely tippers and I kinda doubt. I'm guessing it's just an income bracket thing that's not being properly addressed to drive a narrative, cause in my life experience older people tend to think tips are to be earned and find any excuse not to tip while younger people tend to understand it's an economic necessity for service staff and simply do it out of obligation.

yeah i was doubtful too, every millennial i know tips like the person theyre tipping is a human being. when i read that about zoomers i was like wtf, why, if anything they should be the most giving tippers of all. in my experience, boomers and rich people are the absolute worst about this, but i expect that from my class enemies.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

a strange fowl posted:

The ballpark here, built in 2001, is slowly removing all the things that made it a great ballpark and replacing those things with bars. Financialization ftw

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Tsitsikovas posted:

the entire history of grey goose is a cynical application of this. long story short the original owners purposefully overpriced it knowing that just by virture of it being expensive compared to absolut (at the time the most popular vodka in the US) it was gonna sell really well. and it worked.

what's most hilarious about the frosted glass vodka wars is that Belvedere, which is usually the most expensive of all of them, has nowhere near as much consistent purchase as GG.

Goose came in and ate everyone's lunch the same way that flavored vodka did twenty years later.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

The ballpark here, built in 2001, is slowly removing all the things that made it a great ballpark and replacing those things with bars. Financialization ftw

Alright I'm all for recognizing enshittification where it happens but selling alcohol at sports stadiums is a storied American tradition

How else are people going to sit through an entire baseball game

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Vox Nihili posted:

Alright I'm all for recognizing enshittification where it happens but selling alcohol at sports stadiums is a storied American tradition

How else are people going to sit through an entire baseball game

We went on a bike ride last sunday and stopped in front of the ballpark to get some beers. Not inside the park, outside of the park, on the public street prior to a game

Two 12 oz Modelos were $19 before tip

don't think I'm going to do that again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Vox Nihili posted:

Yeah I remember reading about this. Wine is where the money is at. People have it in their head that they want to spend $X on a bottle of wine for Y quality, and it's almost all just branding and salesmanship.

The premium consumer pays $40 for a bottle of wine at the store or $90 at a restaurant when that bottle costs some small fraction of that to produce.

Beer and liquor have much smaller markups, relatively speaking.

I find that wine is rarely worth more than 50 bucks a bottle and that over 100 is basically just waving your money dick around.

I stick with the twelve dollar Trader Joe’s-adjacent stuff (used to be under ten dollars before Bidenomics).