Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Ambassadorofsodomy posted:

I live just a little bit west of Mississauga and have finally gotten below 1000 per year for my (soon to be 15 years old) Corolla.

My Tacoma is still like 1200 or 1400 or something. I should know I just renewed.

Glad I don't live in Brampton. I hear rates there are the highest in the province.

Kraftwerk posted:

Officially I drive 10,000km per year for pleasure. In practice it’s more like 20,000-25,000 a year but they don’t need to know that.

I think I’m just in a really expensive postal code. York Region.

If I had a Peterborough address for example I’d probably cut my insurance in half.

As I said my Jetta seems to be cheap with Allstate. 195 bucks per month just seems like a lot and it’s the cheapest I could find. I think insurance is a racket here.

Have either of you tried CAA Insurance? I haven’t gone with them but they’ve quoted me and other people I know like 20% of my monthly payment. I have no idea how they do it and no other insurance company can match them. I’ve heard they increase your rates after a year or two but I don’t know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working

boxen posted:

Debating getting rid of my Town Car and getting something with a bed and towing capacity, but fully do not want a full-size pickup.

Been looking most closely at the Ford Maverick and Honda Ridgelines, the Ford is smaller and therefore all the numbers are smaller, but while I'd like another thousand pounds of towing capacity it's closer in size to what I want. The Ridgeline is more capable but also bigger all around.
Mavericks are supposedly popular enough that they're difficult to find, not sure about Ridgelines (although they're getting a refresh this year?).

Anyone have any opinions on those or another suggestion? I'm not opposed to something like a Ranger or Tacoma, but they're a bit higher up the size and price ranges.

If I didn't have a trailer to use the 7500 tow of my Ranger I would have gotten a Ridgeline. Still haven't seen MSRP Mavericks. The Ridgeline being a Pilot-truck makes it drive so much better than any of the mid-sized pickups. It also has space in the rear more comparable to a full-size, the Ranger and Tacoma rear seats are tight, limited leg room, and they don't really fold up great for better storage space. The Ridgeline's fold up great.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I like the Ridgeline. Honda made a truck to do the things most US truck buyers actually use them for. The problem is much of that market is too proud to admit it, imo.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Ridgeline is fine, but it’s just ugly as sin to me. But I don’t need a truck, so I won’t buy one.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I like them a lot, but I'm also a Honda fanboy so :v:

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Most people think they need a truck but they really just want a mini van with fold flat seats.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Most people think they need a truck but they really just want a mini van with fold flat seats.

I had a Town and Country for a rental once and it was amazing. Pure road trip machine above the cargo space.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

(Ridgeline chat)
The newer grill makes it look a lot more truck'ish.
My dad has a 2018 Black Edition, which I think looks pretty cool, but I get why some manly men with cowboy hats cant deal with the early year second gens.

Being around a Ridgeline with someone new never gets old.
The interactions usually go something like this:

"You call that a truck? /Is that your wife's truck? Do you love men?" /etc
Then that person later getting blown the gently caress away by something the Ridgeline has or does.

Examples include:

-Holy poo poo your telling me you can fill the hidden trunk thing with ice and use it for tailgating?
-It has build in speakers in the bed?
-The ride in this is so loving nice
-Your getting how much for MPG?
-You can just make the back seats fold weird and you fit your whole mountain bike inside the rear cab?
-Wait you can lay down full sheets of drywall or particle board in the bed without having to gently caress with wheel well humps?
-It came with all those tie downs build in?
-Unhooking the tailgate on the side and swinging it open to gain easier access to the bed to load or unload heavy or awkward poo poo.
-Unhooking the tailgate on the side and swinging it open so you can just shovel rock or dirt directly into a wheel Barrel placed underneath it.
-This is actually really nice but what if I needed to pull a space shuttle to a museum? See that's why I couldnt get a ridgeline. Someday I might, and thats why I need a F350.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Dr. Lunchables posted:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Not wrong.
I'm definitely leaning towards liquidating my two fords and starting again from scratch with airbrakes.
.... and use a hacked junkyard-class prius + trailer + 5kW inverter for anything smaller than.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Dr. Lunchables posted:

I wish we had small sized mini vans like the Mazda 5 used to be. I check classified for those still as you could get them with a manual.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Russian Bear posted:

I wish we had small sized mini vans like the Mazda 5 used to be. I check classified for those still as you could get them with a manual.

I miss both of our old Mazda5s so loving much.
I sold my 06 to a friend when it got rocked by hail and bought a 12 to replace it. Some old lady t-boned my wife one morning in 2017, and that was that. :cry:
They were perfect sized for us. I might try getting one of the last model years out there for my daughter when it comes time for her to drive.

Edit... Holy poo poo they came way back down in price
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/...mpaign=atempest

Franco Caution fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Aug 5, 2023

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Lunchables posted:

But what they actually need is a miata

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
I’m in the other camp of “Ridgeline is rad as gently caress but I already have an 80’s/90’s small truck”

e:not like those people but new vehicles anyways :v:

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Kraftwerk posted:

If I had a Peterborough address for example I’d probably cut my insurance in half. .

When I finished college in 2003, I moved from Lindsay to rexdale for work. My rates went up considerably.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Ridgeline is on my shortlist, cause 5k towing will do what I need and I also love Honda. But they're weirdly expensive around here so I'm being pushed to ranger/canyon land. All the affordable Ridgelines have branded titles.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
I'm personally waiting for the rumoured Maverick competitor from Toyota to come out in a couple of years.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

I'm personally waiting for the rumoured Maverick competitor from Toyota to come out in a couple of years.

What's the point, each dealer will get 3 trucks and sell them with $15k dealer markup.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Ridgeline is on my shortlist, cause 5k towing will do what I need and I also love Honda. But they're weirdly expensive around here so I'm being pushed to ranger/canyon land. All the affordable Ridgelines have branded titles.

I haven't looked used but Ridgeline MSRP seems a solid $3-4k above what a normal CUV costs for the equivalent trim level.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Ambassadorofsodomy posted:

I live just a little bit west of Mississauga and have finally gotten below 1000 per year for my (soon to be 15 years old) Corolla.

My Tacoma is still like 1200 or 1400 or something. I should know I just renewed.

Glad I don't live in Brampton. I hear rates there are the highest in the province.

not to mention living in brampton

also, i have a 2019 ridgeline and it's great

unless you're big towing or offroading it's all you need

Wistful of Dollars fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Aug 5, 2023

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Ridgelines (2nd gens at least) also drive better and are roomier than tacomas because they’re unibody stretched pilots. And having the trunk is really nice.

The stereo in the non upgraded ones is easily the worst modern factory stereo I’ve ever heard.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

mobby_6kl posted:

But what they actually need is a miata

with a tow hitch

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

Tundra, Tacoma, Tukwila

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

boxen posted:

I've actually considered the Santa Cruz, I like the styling except for the grill but I'm not sure I trust Hyundai enough to buy one yet though. For something new that I might trade in a few years (vs owning for the next 10-15 years) that might not matter however.

Hyundai makes really good really reliable cars they are absolutely toyota-level reliability at this point, i wouldnt be concerned at all.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
By all accounts though their customer service sucks fuckin poo poo

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

The Theta II and Nu engine failures over the last decade are enough for me to strongly recommend against buying any 4-cylinder Hyundai product.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Godzilla07 posted:

The Theta II and Nu engine failures over the last decade are enough for me to strongly recommend against buying any 4-cylinder Hyundai product.

This plus the insane decision to make their cars witout immobilisers

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

mobby_6kl posted:

But what they actually need is an miata electric scooter

FTFY

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Godzilla07 posted:

The Kappa engines series is really drat good, though. Smooth as butter and by all accounts very dependable.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

The Kappa engines series is really drat good, though. Smooth as butter and by all accounts very dependable.

I don't know that I'd call them smooth as butter because it's very moany, grumbly, and just feels like a dirt cheap simple 4 cylinder in every way, but they do seem to have been very reliable. I think it's just a case of simpler is better.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

You must have driven a broken one, I dunno.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

You must have driven a broken one, I dunno.

There might be something less refined about the hybrid configuration that makes it extra groany in our Niro, but my Mom's Soul with it wasn't exactly the pinnacle of refinement.

It's fine, but I just wouldn't call it super elegant.

Edit: I guess there's also the psychological jump from electric silence to the BWAAAAAAAAA of a 4cyl running on the freeway.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Well yeah, it's certainly not EV smooth or quiet.

But at 60kph in 5th or 110kph on the motorway, it's the smoothest car that I or my parents have owned.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

Same, but then this will probably happen

Twerk from Home posted:

each dealer will get 3 trucks and sell them with $15k dealer markup.

Then I'd have to wait a few more years after that for poo poo to calm down to get one at a reasonable price

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

weirdly chilly pussy posted:

insurance that covers every situation except damage to my own car caused by myself.

This is the expensive situation you want insurance for

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Franco Caution posted:

(Ridgeline chat)
The newer grill makes it look a lot more truck'ish.
My dad has a 2018 Black Edition, which I think looks pretty cool, but I get why some manly men with cowboy hats cant deal with the early year second gens.

Being around a Ridgeline with someone new never gets old.
The interactions usually go something like this:

"You call that a truck? /Is that your wife's truck? Do you love men?" /etc
Then that person later getting blown the gently caress away by something the Ridgeline has or does.

Examples include:

-Holy poo poo your telling me you can fill the hidden trunk thing with ice and use it for tailgating?
-It has build in speakers in the bed?
-The ride in this is so loving nice
-Your getting how much for MPG?
-You can just make the back seats fold weird and you fit your whole mountain bike inside the rear cab?
-Wait you can lay down full sheets of drywall or particle board in the bed without having to gently caress with wheel well humps?
-It came with all those tie downs build in?
-Unhooking the tailgate on the side and swinging it open to gain easier access to the bed to load or unload heavy or awkward poo poo.
-Unhooking the tailgate on the side and swinging it open so you can just shovel rock or dirt directly into a wheel Barrel placed underneath it.
-This is actually really nice but what if I needed to pull a space shuttle to a museum? See that's why I couldnt get a ridgeline. Someday I might, and thats why I need a F350.

I've got a 22 Ridgeline and this is all 100% true. Probably the best vehicle I've owned from a versatility standpoint. The only thing my F150 did better was towing, but I'm pretty content with my popup and even if I decided I wanted a travel trailer I could pull most trailers under 30 feet.

Cons are the infotainment seems a generation or two behind, and the 'premium' stereo is pretty meh.

The refresh this year is just adding a trailsport trim I think. Next year is supposed to be the actual refresh.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Honda's infotainment has always felt 5-6 treats behind everybody else, as far back as the early 2000s.

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Same, but then this will probably happen

Then I'd have to wait a few more years after that for poo poo to calm down to get one at a reasonable price

By then you will be able to buy them used for more than people paid for them new!

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

How are Toyota salespeople surviving when they have jack poo poo to sell?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

I missed it when it released, but about 2 weeks ago the IIHS released their 2020 model year death analysis: https://www.iihs.org/ratings/driver-death-rates-by-make-and-model

They offer up the ability to look at death rates by model, both to occupants within the car, and for the first time ever, they're comparing the drivers of other cars in collisions with these models! They do this report every 3-ish years, so we haven't gotten one of these since 2017 model years before this, and this is the first report to include Tesla vehicles, which had not sold in sufficient quantities for the IIHS to bother looking at them previously.

https://www.iihs.org/news/detail/latest-driver-death-rates-highlight-dangers-of-muscle-cars

Long story short, there's some clear outliers, interestingly enough almost entirely from Stellantis brands. Dodge and RAM branded vehicles kill a disproportionate amount of people both inside their cars, and in other cars colliding with them:

In general, this shows the same trends that we've seen in basically all previous years: Having money is protective against all sorts of death and injury in the USA. The cars that rich people drive have the lowest levels of death, even if they aren't expensive cars. The cars that poor people drive have higher death rates. Look at the Altima, a clear outlier with a dramatically higher death rate than any other midsize or even compact sedans. Larger vehicles are safer for the people inside them, but more dangerous for everyone outside the vehicle. And how did Tesla fare in its first appearance in what is a very long-running, high quality road safety research effort?

Completely unexceptional! Moderately more dangerous than other midsize luxury vehicles, but not that far from the average vehicle overall rates or midsize sedans and compact crossovers in general. This is bad compared to other EVs, like the Bolt and Leaf which have consistently been among the lowest-death vehicles. It looks like people use Teslas just like any normal gas car, while Leafs and Bolts get used as specialized commuter vehicles with a very low risk profile.