Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
The Sound of Music and Dr. Doolittle were also shot on 70mm film. I can see an argument that using the format today is a way of showing off by using one of the most expensive filming media of the day. However, the kind of film used can also be argued as an artistic choice, like a selection of pigments or sculpting material. Using 70mm instead of upscaling 35mm to 70mm is a way of capturing more detail. It can also be seen as a nod to past films that used the medium.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Also it's about how things are perceived. A man going on about the Godfather is a cinephile, but if I were allowed to go on for as long as I wanted to about the themes in the Croods movies I'd be asked if I were autistic (even though I can back up my points from cinematography and dialog within the movies).

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'm always talking at my girlfriend about the bro-coded, shot on 70mm film My Fair lady.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Cojawfee posted:

I'm always talking at my girlfriend about the bro-coded, shot on 70mm film My Fair lady.

The Mansplaining the Godfather thing can be summarised in one song from My Fair Lady. "Don't talk of themes, how history transpired. If you want to inspire, SHOW ME!" aka just put the movie on watch it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Cojawfee posted:

My Fair Lady, IIRC…

Pygmalion was written around the time of the women’s suffrage movement. George Bernard Shaw believed in women’s rights and so wrote a play where a woman is raised up out of poverty to be a man’s trained seal but ends up leaving him and being independent.

His producer wanted a more traditional ending where the guy gets the girl in the end so after the initial run he rewrote the ending behind Shaw’s back so that Dolittle goes back to Higgins. Shaw was so outraged by this that he threatened to shoot his producer.

This happy romantic ending is what ended up in My Fair Lady

If you want a more feminist, faithful adaptation may I suggest watching Ex Machina with your girlfriend

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Aug 5, 2023

drhermes
Oct 2, 2021

by vyelkin

BioEnchanted posted:

Also it's about how things are perceived. A man going on about the Godfather is a cinephile, but if I were allowed to go on for as long as I wanted to about the themes in the Croods movies I'd be asked if I were autistic (even though I can back up my points from cinematography and dialog within the movies).

That's not about gender, it's about the worth of the Godfather compared to the Croods as films, though. A man going on about the symbolism in Beany and Cecil wouldn't be taken as seriously as a woman going on about Rabbit Proof Fence.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

drhermes posted:

That's not about gender, it's about the worth of the Godfather compared to the Croods as films, though. A man going on about the symbolism in Beany and Cecil wouldn't be taken as seriously as a woman going on about Rabbit Proof Fence.

That's what I meant by perception - both movies have themes to discuss but only one of them actually gets that kind of discussion because the other one gets dismissed as not having anything worth talking about because it's an unpopular family comedy and not a serious crime drama, and if someone tries to talk about the untalked about one people assume there's something wrong with them (not saying there's anything wrong with being on the spectrum but the question often comes with the underlying assumption that there is, ie "What are you, autistic?", the tone of the question has the same sound as "Are you broken?"). Also I am a man, so gender never entered my argument.

Also something interesting in the movie is in Barbieland none of the barbies are allowed to be average. The leader is The President, the author is a nobel prize winner, the journalist is a pulitzer level writer. It's not enough for the women to have jobs, like in the real world they have to excel far beyond what a man would have to to get the same respect. They can't cook their own brain like Jordan Peterson and get away with no hit to their credibility, they HAVE to be perfect. As Cat Grant puts it in Supergirl, "When I worked at the Planet with Perry White, one day he got angry and threw a chair out of his office window. However, he could get away with that because he's a man. I can't throw a chair out of a window. I have to keep calm, or risk being looked at as less of a person because I can't 'control my emotions'."

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Aug 5, 2023

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I dunno maybe they’re not allowed to be ugly but in terms of occupation there was a very clear shot of yassified garbage women

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
No normal person has ever thought about film roll breadth or whatever 70 mm means, the joke would not have worked because of that you tedious nerds

drhermes
Oct 2, 2021

by vyelkin

BioEnchanted posted:

That's what I meant by perception - both movies have themes to discuss but only one of them actually gets that kind of discussion because the other one gets dismissed as not having anything worth talking about because it's an unpopular family comedy and not a serious crime drama, and if someone tries to talk about the untalked about one people assume there's something wrong with them (not saying there's anything wrong with being on the spectrum but the question often comes with the underlying assumption that there is, ie "What are you, autistic?", the tone of the question has the same sound as "Are you broken?"). Also I am a man, so gender never entered my argument.

Also something interesting in the movie is in Barbieland none of the barbies are allowed to be average. The leader is The President, the author is a nobel prize winner, the journalist is a pulitzer level writer. It's not enough for the women to have jobs, like in the real world they have to excel far beyond what a man would have to to get the same respect. They can't cook their own brain like Jordan Peterson and get away with no hit to their credibility, they HAVE to be perfect. As Cat Grant puts it in Supergirl, "When I worked at the Planet with Perry White, one day he got angry and threw a chair out of his office window. However, he could get away with that because he's a man. I can't throw a chair out of a window. I have to keep calm, or risk being looked at as less of a person because I can't 'control my emotions'."

I don't agree with that, though. It's bad unrealistic writing to say that if someone throws a chair out an office window, it would be seen as fine. Nope. If a male character onscreen shows fear or cries by himself after a rough day, he's seen as weak and diminished, which doesn't happen to female characters. Men are seen as less of a person if they reveal vulnerability or show emotion other the approved ones of anger, confidence and duty. I'd say that women characters are allowed a wider range of emotions than male characters. Plenty of examples of female characters blowing up and yelling at people or striking a male character who said the wrong thing... and the audience cheers them.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
No wonder Male Executives are paid so much. They have to pay for chair and window insurance out of pocket.

drhermes
Oct 2, 2021

by vyelkin
That's incredibly dumb dialogue, to be sure. The publisher would have Perry White in his office in no time and he'd be punished hard. That's overlooking the charges for reckless endangerment after the police came to ask about the chair hitting the sidewalk from however many stories up. I suppose you could take it that the incident didn't "really" happen, it was just Cat Grant making things up.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

drhermes posted:

That's incredibly dumb dialogue, to be sure. The publisher would have Perry White in his office in no time and he'd be punished hard. That's overlooking the charges for reckless endangerment after the police came to ask about the chair hitting the sidewalk from however many stories up. I suppose you could take it that the incident didn't "really" happen, it was just Cat Grant making things up.

It also shows how much information I get about this sort of thing from the media, I just didn't realise that that was exactly the opposite of how things work, because I'm a cis male whos never really had to deal with that sort of thing myself, so I'm reliant on anecdotes.

drhermes
Oct 2, 2021

by vyelkin
I doubt if anyone of any orientation has seen their boss throw a chair out an office window and everyone thought it was okay because he's a man. But then, this was a comic book show, so maybe all the dialogue was like that.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Supergirl has some very bad and cringe dialog, but I think what the point of that interaction is that women get cut less slack than men when it comes to aggression. Perry throwing that chair out the window is just written off as him having a bad day or reacting poorly to bad news. It's not good, but just give him some space and he'll still be able to do his job. If Cat did something like that, it's an inherent issue and evidence that she should not be in charge (she can't take the pressure, she's too emotional, etc.).

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Would have been hilarious if that had been the headline that day. "Perry White reacts poorly to bad news, is reminded that he works at a NEWSPAPER"

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
All this is doing is illustrating the film’s central problem - because it spends all of its time on what the patriarchy does to culture rather than what it does to civil rights, we are now sitting here like a bunch of lunatics trying to argue which inanimate objects are coded as what gender. Shoe insoles are feminine. Traffic cones are masculine. Cool Ranch Doritos… non-binary.

There is some genuine subversion happening in how the Kens don’t really know what patriarchy is but their mere attempts at it wind up enforcing it anyways - but because we spend so much of the film on a bunch of battle of the sexes jokes straight out of a Leno monologue, that means the film has little to say about the actual patriarchy itself, and also winds up “assigning” different hobbies and interests to respective sexes, like women have never really been into The Godfather or horses. If you think along these lines, the logic behind posts like L.H.O.O.Q.’s become perfectly structured - such as saying that 70mm film is masculine and then admitting one post later you don’t know what it is.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Women watch films like this, while men watch films like this

drhermes
Oct 2, 2021

by vyelkin

Bogus Adventure posted:

Supergirl has some very bad and cringe dialog, but I think what the point of that interaction is that women get cut less slack than men when it comes to aggression. Perry throwing that chair out the window is just written off as him having a bad day or reacting poorly to bad news. It's not good, but just give him some space and he'll still be able to do his job. If Cat did something like that, it's an inherent issue and evidence that she should not be in charge (she can't take the pressure, she's too emotional, etc.).

That's their point, but it doesn't reflect real life, Women are treated much more leniently when it comes to physical violence, being disorderly or damaging property. As a rule, men are arrested more often and given harsher sentences than women are for the same offense.. even when they commit them together. Maybe it's hardwired in our brains or it's social structure, but people feel more sympathy for women. In domestic disputes or public arguments, everyone automatically takes the woman's side and assume she's not the instigator. So that dialogue just rings false.

What has always bugged me is all the movies where a man says something improper... not doing anything physical.. and the woman assaults. The audience laughs and cheers. Even as a kid, I didn't find it funny when women in movies kicked a man in the balls. Almost as awful where the scenes even in romance movies where a woman slaps a man across the face hard as a whip, and he doesn't even flinch. That's sending a wrong message.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

drhermes
Oct 2, 2021

by vyelkin

Tankbuster posted:

Women watch films like this, while men watch films like this

And they can be sitting next to each other in the theater and watch two different movies. Because everyone filters through their own experiences,

L.H.O.O.Q.
Jan 3, 2013

:coal:

Pirate Jet posted:

All this is doing is illustrating the film’s central problem - because it spends all of its time on what the patriarchy does to culture rather than what it does to civil rights, we are now sitting here like a bunch of lunatics trying to argue which inanimate objects are coded as what gender. Shoe insoles are feminine. Traffic cones are masculine. Cool Ranch Doritos… non-binary.

There is some genuine subversion happening in how the Kens don’t really know what patriarchy is but their mere attempts at it wind up enforcing it anyways - but because we spend so much of the film on a bunch of battle of the sexes jokes straight out of a Leno monologue, that means the film has little to say about the actual patriarchy itself, and also winds up “assigning” different hobbies and interests to respective sexes, like women have never really been into The Godfather or horses. If you think along these lines, the logic behind posts like L.H.O.O.Q.’s become perfectly structured - such as saying that 70mm film is masculine and then admitting one post later you don’t know what it is.

For sure agree with this, and it might just have to do with the design of Barbie toys as ‘girls toys’. And historically the making of toys for boys and toys for girls. The Barbie brand sets up a binary world rather than a more nuanced and complex discussion around gender. The film precisely does say ‘mini fridges = masculine’ has a laugh and then moves on. Any Barbie who might appreciate a mini fridge doesn’t come into it. It’s a boy’s toy in the films logic. Anyway, as you say, the film’s focus on cultural markers of patriarchy and gender norms rather than political ones is a big flaw.

The very idea of non-binary (cool-ranch or otherwise) also doesn’t exist in the binary Barbie brand….as of yet. Magic earring Ken for example is a one line jokey nod to the audience to other sexualities, but the film and Mattel can neatly sidestep any complexities it sometimes hints at by leaning in on the sexlessness of Barbies and Kens.

E: as you say, if you think along those lines, the logic works. As backward and dumb as it is. Outside of the Barbie movie, it’s the logic that has led to major film distributors to launch Barbie and (tedious 70mm film nerd Christopher Nolan’s) Oppenheimer on the same day. Barbie for the female audience and Oppenheimer for the male. It’s asinine, but there it is.

L.H.O.O.Q. fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Aug 5, 2023

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
the logic for barbie being released has more to do with warner brother's butthurt at nolan for trashing them and moving to universal for his prestigious movie. The barbenheimer meme was just an organic meme that spread well. It's already made WB over a billion dollars in revenue and now they get to claim to be the artist's studio.

drhermes
Oct 2, 2021

by vyelkin
I love 4chan weaseling words to explain why Barbie isn't woke. Because they cannot deal with the idea of a woke movie making huge bucks. But then they want every movie to fail anyway.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Imagine if in the background of the movie Physicist Barbie sets off a nuke, then later on she's at the Barbie Hague for crimes against Barbiekind/dollmanity. "We have done it. Now we are all Mattel executives... I am become death, destroyer of brands..." The true Barbenheimer. I just love how it became a thing because the movies couldn't be more different, but they've become mashed together in the cultural lexicon like a popculture Brundlefly. People say we are in the dumbest timeline for political reasons, but this is just kind of a harmless example as it's a very silly conflation.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Aug 5, 2023

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS

drhermes posted:

That's their point, but it doesn't reflect real life, Women are treated much more leniently when it comes to physical violence, being disorderly or damaging property. As a rule, men are arrested more often and given harsher sentences than women are for the same offense.. even when they commit them together. Maybe it's hardwired in our brains or it's social structure, but people feel more sympathy for women. In domestic disputes or public arguments, everyone automatically takes the woman's side and assume she's not the instigator. So that dialogue just rings false.

What has always bugged me is all the movies where a man says something improper... not doing anything physical.. and the woman assaults. The audience laughs and cheers. Even as a kid, I didn't find it funny when women in movies kicked a man in the balls. Almost as awful where the scenes even in romance movies where a woman slaps a man across the face hard as a whip, and he doesn't even flinch. That's sending a wrong message.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

lol. lmao.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Although it did remind me of the Sexy Angry Tango from Crazy Ex-Girlfriend so that's a bonus, the bit after Rebecca playfully slaps nathaniel in their daydream sequence
this whole bit is sung:
Nathanial: "I cannot slap you back, because you are a lady."
Rebecca: "This clearly is a double-standard... .
both: but it's probably for the best."

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

So close at realizing that the idea of patriarchy hurts both men AND women, and yet goes down the :biotruths: and :females: road

lmao

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
That guy is going to hate the hit TV show, Ow My Balls.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Also people taking the ending really badly not realising the implicit "Kens may become as equal in this world as women are in the real one (and people are constantly fighting for more equality and more and more people support that so one day that may not be as backhanded as it sounds)".

Similarly, Barbie and Ken aren't necessarily broken up. Ken's just figuring out who he is without her, but once he's done that, if he still wants to pursue a life with her in it, whether romantic or platonic, he CAN. He can make the same decision she did and go to the real world permanently if he decides it's right for him. Much like Steven Universe and it's ilk, the story hasn't ended, it's just that we can't see the next bit.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Aug 5, 2023

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

BioEnchanted posted:

Similarly, Barbie and Ken aren't necessarily broken up

Can't be broken up because they were never a couple

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Rarity posted:

Can't be broken up because they were never a couple

Point taken, I'll rephrase to "They may not be apart forever depending on what they want to do next."

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
drat it MacheteZ I've been paying attention to the Barbie thread all week and one night I go to bed and don't read it I miss my chance >:(

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Steve Yun posted:

This happy romantic ending is what ended up in My Fair Lady
:eng101: And Shaw did write out an epilogue saying what happened to everybody. Eliza did marry Freddy Eynsford Hill and start a flower shop on the Colonel's dime, the finances were rocky because both of them knew nothing about business, but they sorted it out. Eliza's father became a professional diner-out.

quote:

It is astonishing how much Eliza still
manages to meddle in the housekeeping at Wimpole Street in spite of the shop and
her own family. And it is notable that though she never nags her husband, and
frankly loves the Colonel as if she were his favorite daughter, she has never got out
of the habit of nagging Higgins that was established on the fatal night when she
won his bet for him.

Shaw blathers on for pages

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
If 70mm film is imagined as ‘masculine’ - and the implicit ‘feminine’ counterpoint is, like, a cellphone video in portrait orientation - then it should be immediately obvious that we’re actually talking about the vagaries of class.

Dino Damage. I called it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
What about that is dino damage?

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

It comes “pre-damaged.”

The character in the movie is explained as “a weird Barbie” that was altered or disfigured by a child playing too aggressively. But this is a pre-packaged Barbie that takes away the potential for creativity and instead subsumes some creative child’s imagination into yet another commodity.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

It's dino damage as well as that spork character from Toy Story 4. The only plastic that matters is your credit card at the register.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
To me dino damage means you can pop off the skin panel of the dinosaur and it reveals the muscle and bones underneath, not that it's just damaged in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I read -- I hope not here -- that Kate McKinnon can't do Barbie-style splits , so the set designer worked around that by putting leg holes in the sets at carefully out-of-sightline locations and propping a prosthetic leg in the right position. I love that sort of movie detail.