Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

White Light posted:

I like how the original joke for the simpsons doesn't even make sense anymore. They're yellow cause Matt wanted to make it seem like people needed to adjust the color knob on their television set, now it's that way Just Because.

my knob tastes funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

You Are A Elf posted:

Having a hard time processing what’s in the bowl.

Teeth

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Reminds me of that gag on that old Cartoon Network commercial, where someone asks why the Smurfs are blue and one of them goes "We're not, we're green, adjust your TV!"

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

straight up looks just like my parent's old tv

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Happy Landfill posted:

straight up looks just like my parent's old tv

Or a victory screen from a Virtual Bart minigame

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

bottle of piss

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Annabel Pee posted:

On the flip side, the movie is a lot worse than I remember. It’s way worse than the seasons from the same time. The humour just doesn’t work in this format, every joke feels overly workshopped and over complicated and then isn’t even really a joke. It’s like a Simpsons movie for people who are only half aware of the Simpsons, like it was made in mind of the parents taking kids to go see it rather than the fans.

That's literally what they made it for, they wanted to bring back Hank Scorpio as the villain but the producers nixed it, as well as Ranier Wolfcastle being the President, because they thought the audience would be confused and not get the jokes.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

You Are A Elf posted:

Having a hard time processing what’s in the bowl.

Luv 2 eat uncooked ravioli during TV time.

Kinda looks like lotus root.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

It's popcorn

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

White Light posted:

I like how the original joke for the simpsons doesn't even make sense anymore. They're yellow cause Matt wanted to make it seem like people needed to adjust the color knob on their television set, now it's that way Just Because.

It was the idea of one of their early animators to make them yellow because several of the characters had no hairline, so they looked too bizarre flesh colored.

https://www.slashfilm.com/1093851/theres-a-simple-answer-to-the-question-why-are-the-simpsons-yellow/ posted:

To design the color palette for "The Simpsons," they enlisted Hungarian immigrant Gyorgi Kovacs-Peluce. The perhaps obvious choice of making the Simpsons look, you know, human, was out of the question from the start, she told Vice. "I did not want to do flesh color, because the characters were such as ... they didn't fit in anywhere."

"Yellow is, it's kind of universal. I wanted to unite the characters," Kovacs-Peluce added. She would go on to work on the color design for the hit kids series "The Rugrats" and the cult comedy "Duckman."

"She had a weird, wonderful sense of color design," co-director David Silverman told MSNBC in 2008. "A really interesting sense of color. I think she did that because Bart, Lisa and Maggie had no hairlines, and if you made them flesh-colored it would look very strange. It wouldn't work. To Matt [Groening]'s credit, he looked at it and said, 'Marge is yellow with blue hair? That's hilarious — let's do it!"

"She has never gotten proper credit," said "Simpsons" creator Matt Groening, in an interview that Georgie Kovacs-Peluce reads aloud from a 2007 issue of "Playboy Magazine."

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I went to see the movie when it came out. I was 17 then but still a big fan of the golden years. I remember being so disappointed. I can't remember any bits I enjoyed, but I can definitely recall spider pig and Bart's knob.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

:agreed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lzw6nRnaQG0

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I can definitely recall spider pig and Bart's knob.

Please refrain from recalling the knob.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

White Light posted:

Funny thing, for a long time, as an ignorant kid, thanks to the color scheme in Captain N, I would adjust my set when playing Mega Man so that he'd be blue and green and not blue and blue. Then Krusty went into that "blue-haired goon" rant, with clearly blue hair on my screen, and I realized I'd been doing it wrong most of my childhood.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Annabel Pee posted:

On the flip side, the movie is a lot worse than I remember. It’s way worse than the seasons from the same time. The humour just doesn’t work in this format, every joke feels overly workshopped and over complicated and then isn’t even really a joke. It’s like a Simpsons movie for people who are only half aware of the Simpsons, like it was made in mind of the parents taking kids to go see it rather than the fans.

Yeah, it's weird to me that the movie is generally regarded as "decent". Your comment about every joke feeling workshopped is spot on. None of the humor in the movie feels organic. It's like they took the script of a standard episode of that era and sent it through round after round of "punch ups". I remember seeing it in a full theater, and the audience was laughing along, but I couldn't shake the feeling that everyone was kind of forcing themselves to laugh. It's The Simpsons, it's supposed to be funny, right?

I only ever watched it one additional time since in the theater and hated it. A movie done around season 6 or 7 would have been amazing though as many of the episodes feel like the templates for movies, ie Bart's Comet.

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe

White Light posted:

No dude, zombie simsons are starting to eclipse the Golden Years as the more relatable simpsons for the current audience. It's not the first time I've seen this sentiment either, whoever is watching it seems to prefer the current iteration over the classics.

It's an Omen for other shows to end on top before you lose your entire identity to be replaced by the echoes of your echoes afterwards.

Classic Simpsons is a relic of a bygone era. I learned a ton watching it back in the day but the references are just so old now. Like, burt ward, Spiro Agnew, Dustin Hoffman, Ayatollah komeini, ed Sullivan, johnny Carson, Maynard g Krebs (or even bob Denver for that matter) , people under the age of 25 have no idea who these people are and have probably never even heard their names and have no framework to understand, even in passing, who they were. Maybe not Dustin Hoffman, but he hasn't been around for a while I think.

Now I realize Maynard g Krebs is a reach for anyone who didn't grow up in the late 50s/early 60s, but still. He was the first hipster on TV and someone most people would likely have known about in the 80s and 90s. Dobie gillis was very popular.

But that's the point, you tend to understand the previous generations people because they're still around in some capacity, or their legacies are still culturally relevant. Syndication gave TV shows 20 and 30 year life spans, Gilligan was on TV in the 90s and my friends all knew it. Nowadays with streaming, there's absolutely no reason to watch any show made before the office.

The original crop of writers were late-stage boomers, early stage gen x (they mostly grew up in the late 60s, early 70s). The cultural touchstones they imparted on us 90s kids are just totally foreign to kids who were born after 9/11.

Honestly it's no wonder classic Simpsons doesn't resonate with modern audiences.

Cosmik Debris fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Aug 5, 2023

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

I think the above is wrong, the Simpsons is extremely popular in the UK and no one knew most of those celebrities even when those episodes first aired.

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe
Americans need to be pandered to unlike smarty-pants UK people.

No British comedies ever went super mainstream in the US, especially if it's in any way topical. And no, running on PBS doesn't count as mainstream. I'm talking something an electrician would watch. Nobody gets off work, grabs a bud light, and puts on keeping up appearances.

We couldn't even import pop idol without putting two Americans on the panel and america in the name.

Cosmik Debris fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Aug 5, 2023

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Cosmik Debris posted:

Americans need to be pandered to unlike smarty-pants UK people.

No British comedies ever went super mainstream in the US, especially if it's in any way topical. And no, running on PBS doesn't count as mainstream. I'm talking something an electrician would watch. Nobody gets off work, grabs a bud light, and puts on keeping up appearances.

I'll argue Monty Python did go mainstream and John G Workerguy may have watched on PBS in the 70's.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Olewithmilk posted:

I think the above is wrong, the Simpsons is extremely popular in the UK and no one knew most of those celebrities even when those episodes first aired.

I also think it's a bad take. The vast majority of the references in the classic seasons are done in a way that it's still funny and makes sense even if you don't know the reference. I see GenZ sharing classic Simpsons memes all the time. Anecdotal, but my sisters kids (ages 12 and 9) LOVE the classic seasons. I think it's more that they've just been buried and forgotten by much of the general public due to only accounting for 25% of the overall episodes.

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

Americans know Monty python because of their many movies and not because of the flying circus, or any of the shows that they spawned.

And anyway only nerds knew Monty python (even referenced in the Simpsons).

I think you'd be hard pressed to find an average American who was more than just passingly familiar with British humor in the 90s, let alone today.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Yeah I'd honestly disagree there too. Like, nobody who was young when the Simpsons was airing understood Krusty was supposed to be an actual parody of real, actual clown shows on local TV stations from the fuckin' 60s or whatever.

IMO the bigger issue is more like. The Simpsons that exists in modern day pop culture is just zombie Simpsons, so a lot of the setups and jokes of classic Simpsons episodes just don't land right because they don't play out how people think they should.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Aside from what’s been mentioned, Benny Hill and Mr. Bean were huge in America in the ‘90s.

Hell, the first Mr. Bean movie was Americanized and set in America with a lot of the humor coming from the show (eg. the turkey on Mr. Bean’s head).

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Cosmik Debris posted:

Americans know Monty python because of their many movies and not because of the flying circus, or any of the shows that they spawned.

And anyway only nerds knew Monty python (even referenced in the Simpsons).

I think you'd be hard pressed to find an average American who was more than just passingly familiar with British humor in the 90s, let alone today.

I watched Monty Python with my dad in the early 80's. No idea how he found it.

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

redshirt posted:

I watched Monty Python with my dad in the early 80's. No idea how he found it.

Look apparently I had the worst take ever but "my dad liked Monty python in the 80s" is kinda my point - holy Grail was like 1974 or something and the flying circus was from the 60s. Americans weren't aware of Monty python until long after their heydey. The Mr bean show only had one season, for crying out loud, and it was popular because there were like no topical references at all. He was silent. Mr bean was super popular the world over precisely because it was pure physical comedy and kinda fits my point exactly - Americans no like British references the way British people apparently don't mind American references, and are in general far more aware of American pop culture than we are of British pop culture.

All I'm saying is classic Simpsons just doesn't resonate with modern audiences quite as much anymore because it looks and sounds very dated compared to modern animated comedies, and American TV in general.

Classic Simpsons was very much a "smart" show that could be enjoyed by average people because it made references average people could get at the time.

I mean that's what we're saying - zombie Simpsons makes references to stuff just because, but then, unlike classic Simpsons, they forget to include any actual jokes that classic Simpsons had.

Like classic Simpsons definitely had random references appropos of nothing, but in the context of the jokes they tended to either enhance the jokes or were just funny or silly on their own.

Nowadays it's all random references and there aren't that many actual, like, setup-punchline jokes.

Idk maybe I'm crazy. I guess I'm horribly out of touch at the ripe old age of 35.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
There are many things about the old Simpsons I found hilarious and only found out they were references decades later. I don't think the drop in quality has anything to do with relating to the things they reference, they just don't know how to be funny.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Family Guy was right about Monty Python

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzi0I3hEC7I

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Cosmik Debris posted:

Look apparently I had the worst take ever but "my dad liked Monty python in the 80s" is kinda my point - holy Grail was like 1974 or something and the flying circus was from the 60s. Americans weren't aware of Monty python until long after their heydey. The Mr bean show only had one season, for crying out loud, and it was popular because there were like no topical references at all. He was silent. Mr bean was super popular the world over precisely because it was pure physical comedy and kinda fits my point exactly - Americans no like British references the way British people apparently don't mind American references, and are in general far more aware of American pop culture than we are of British pop culture.

All I'm saying is classic Simpsons just doesn't resonate with modern audiences quite as much anymore because it looks and sounds very dated compared to modern animated comedies, and American TV in general.

Classic Simpsons was very much a "smart" show that could be enjoyed by average people because it made references average people could get at the time.

I mean that's what we're saying - zombie Simpsons makes references to stuff just because, but then, unlike classic Simpsons, they forget to include any actual jokes that classic Simpsons had.

Like classic Simpsons definitely had random references appropos of nothing, but in the context of the jokes they tended to either enhance the jokes or were just funny or silly on their own.

Nowadays it's all random references and there aren't that many actual, like, setup-punchline jokes.

Idk maybe I'm crazy. I guess I'm horribly out of touch at the ripe old age of 35.

I hear you brother. I haven't seen a new Simpsons episode in like 20 years.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I think classic Simpsons resonated with a British audience because it communicated human issues in a clever and funny way. It was startlingly honest for an animated sitcom, one starring outrageous yellow people at that. We didn't get all the references - one that sticks out to me is the Garrison Keillor parody in the Ruth Powers episode - but most of the themes and characterisations were familiar. I came for the jokes but I left feeling for the characters, like when Lisa lost her surrogate dad in Mr Bergstrom only for Homer to try and make it up to her at the end.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
There's a reason everyone keeps saying reference right now - that's all new simpsons has, whereas old simpsons took the time and creativity to turn the references into actual jokes

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

I appreciated quick references to Claus von Bülow and Alfred Bester that flew over my head then years later clicked.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

My favorite obscure reference is in the stonecutters episode where Moe says "He's gone mad with power, like that Albert Schweitzer guy!"

Maybe I'm out of touch and Albert Schweitzer is/was less obscure than I think, but I have to wonder what percentage of the audience had any clue who Albert Schweitzer was or what the joke was supposed to be. I was totally clueless until I looked him up, which wasn't nearly as easy back when the episode aired.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Mantis42 posted:

Family Guy was right about Monty Python

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzi0I3hEC7I

Go back and revisit ANY comedy sketch show from any time period and you’ll find that each and every one is 10% memorable comedy gold and 90% stupid time filler and badly dated references. They all suck when you revisit them.

Except for The Kids in the Hall. The Kids in the Hall will always be eternally good :colbert:

Sentient Data posted:

There's a reason everyone keeps saying reference right now - that's all new simpsons has, whereas old simpsons took the time and creativity to turn the references into actual jokes

NuSimpsons is nothing more than a Friedberg & Seltzer parody movie from the 2000s. Remember those? And most of them made big bank :psyduck:

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

You Are A Elf posted:

Go back and revisit ANY comedy sketch show from any time period and you’ll find that each and every one is 10% memorable comedy gold and 90% stupid time filler and badly dated references. They all suck when you revisit them.

Except for The Kids in the Hall. The Kids in the Hall will always be eternally good :colbert:

NuSimpsons is nothing more than a Friedberg & Seltzer parody movie from the 2000s. Remember those? And most of them made big bank :psyduck:

I CRUSH! your head!!

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":
these are the Daves I know I know
these are the Daves I know

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Someone analyze why the Cape Fear parody episode is good and the Oceans 13 children’s book heist parody episode is garbage. It’d probably be something like joke construction and delivery are more important than whether or not you get the reference

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

hatty posted:

Someone analyze why the Cape Fear parody episode is good and the Oceans 13 children’s book heist parody episode is garbage. It’d probably be something like joke construction and delivery are more important than whether or not you get the reference

Homer’s daydream of being in the superbowl in archaic football gear putting up garbage time points is such a tiny joke but one of my all time favorites.

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The Moon Monster posted:

My favorite obscure reference is in the stonecutters episode where Moe says "He's gone mad with power, like that Albert Schweitzer guy!"

Maybe I'm out of touch and Albert Schweitzer is/was less obscure than I think, but I have to wonder what percentage of the audience had any clue who Albert Schweitzer was or what the joke was supposed to be. I was totally clueless until I looked him up, which wasn't nearly as easy back when the episode aired.

I did a book report on Albert Schweitzer in the fifth grade, I was probably the youngest person in the world who knew who Albert Schweitzer was in the 90s

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

The best one is absolutely Krusty burying Joey Bishop, nothing even comes close

2nd place is James Coco going mad in 15 minutes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

There's a special place in my heart for "Boy, they're really sockin' it to that Spiro Agnew guy again, he must work there or something"