Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Schrodinger's Bigot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Z the IVth posted:

It's just like dementia winds back the clock so when they hit 1940 they start going n***** n***** all the way. You always hear about the insanely racist stuff that demented patients spout.

my gran had severe alzheimers and went down the oops! all racisms path, but what can you do about it at that point other than ignore it? she was in her 90s and couldn't even tell you her own name or where she was.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive

kecske posted:

two time NBA all-star Luol Deng?

he could certainly make a space jam i bet

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
If it's the same Dr John Fernandes, he has written a ton of papers on acute and cumulative sport related damage and is a member of the British Society for Research on Ageing, so I'm willing to bet he knows a lot more than me about the difference between head trauma induced personality change and someone being a oval office to him. If he's judging it as the latter it's probably the latter.

happyhippy posted:

A quantum Nigel Farage
That's how the imaginary migrants tunnel from France.

Nuclear Spoon posted:

he could certainly make a space jam i bet

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
My Dad had severe brain trauma back in 2004, was only given 5% to survive that night.
Thankfully he did, but recovery was about 2-3 months.
First he was just awake and just following movement and lights.
Then went through a biting phase, anything he could into reach he would try to bite it.
Then he recognized his own name, then us, and started to slowly regain memories.
It was if the brain was starting up in stages.

Thats a really loving scary prospect, that parts of you will just not work.

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
MY LACK OF KNOWLEDGE OF CURRENT EVENTS IS EXCEEDED ONLY BY MY UNQUENCHABLE THIRST FOR PISS. FUK U AMERIKKKA!!

Jakabite posted:

Should’ve let her bleed out

The people with open head wounds will look up and shout "Save us!"...

...and I'll look down, and whisper "no."

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
i think she was shouting something else in this specific instance

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

DreddyMatt posted:

The people with open head wounds will look up and shout "Save us!"...

...and I'll look down, and whisper "no."

Don’t worry mate, she wasn’t a traveller so your moral compass would allow you to save her

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

kecske posted:

my gran had severe alzheimers and went down the oops! all racisms path, but what can you do about it at that point other than ignore it? she was in her 90s and couldn't even tell you her own name or where she was.

Nothing at all beyond being understanding unfortunately. Dementia is a horrid thing for everyone around the individual (most of the demented ppl tend to be fairly cheerful themselves).

Nuclear Spoon posted:

i think she was shouting something else in this specific instance

Never underestimate the self-destructive capabilities of racism.

A person admitted overnight with a heart attack tells the cardiologist he doesn't want to be treated by a ****.

Great job. Darwin in action.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/JohnJCrace/status/1687882623668895746

:itwaspoo:

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

A wonderful example of Brexit Britain astride the globe showing its open for business.

As long as that business is making GBS threads in rivers

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Every now and again I see the idea of an ex pat MP floated, which I don't necessarily think is a bad idea.

I dunno how many people on average an MP represents? 100k?

How many travellers are there in the UK?
How's many asylum seekers?

Someone should be campaigning to get each of those groups a dedicated MP. Would rile up the right people if nothing else.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Surely having diarrhea in a wet suit would be an unfair advantage during a triathlon?
Cold sea, have to poo poo, fill your suit, and now you have your own temp warm all over feeling which will invigorate you to swim better.
And that relief of after diarrhea poo as well, increasing your dopamine.

Basically all athletes should do a Paula Radcliffe mid game.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think personally, floating around in a form fitting bag of my own butt chutney would actually make me worse at almost everything, op.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Even doing Boris Johnson impersonations?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Almost everything.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

I think personally, floating around in a form fitting bag of my own butt chutney would actually make me worse at almost everything, op.

It'll start to itch like hell after an hour or so.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

:allears:

There were apparently two others who weren't in the shot, but one of those was a Tory councillor, so probably doesn't count.

e: Found the other two people:

lol and lmao

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Aug 5, 2023

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

All my other constituents just out of shot enjoying the meeting with me

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Every now and again I see the idea of an ex pat MP floated, which I don't necessarily think is a bad idea.

The thing about ex-pats is, they're ex-patriots, which means they're not patriotic, which means they're woke

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Would rile up the right people if nothing else.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

happyhippy posted:

Basically all athletes should do a Paula Radcliffe mid game.

This is my go-to image for athlete's poop

LOOK at that dribble. That's proper liquid

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Are we able to switch energy suppliers yet? I'll be in charge of my own bills for the first time in about eight years soon, so I'm completely out of the loop on that. If the answer is no then I take it that I have to stick with the same supplier as the previous owners, which for me will be EDF.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Are we able to switch energy suppliers yet? I'll be in charge of my own bills for the first time in about eight years soon, so I'm completely out of the loop on that. If the answer is no then I take it that I have to stick with the same supplier as the previous owners, which for me will be EDF.

I'm pretty sure you can if you're new into a property (rent or own). Big recommend to Octopus if you do. I've got a code if you decide to do that which should get us £50 each if you sign up with them. (Seems it couldn't be used people who were compulsorily switched). If you decide to, let me know before you do as you have to sign up via the code link.

I pay monthly DD which I can adjust more or less at a whim. give them a reading most weeks and they adjust my balance each time I give a reading.
(I don't have a smart meter, I have a spreadsheet).

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

A lot of suppliers are doing new tariffs but the ones I’ve looked at all seem to be of the ‘lock yourself in at a significantly higher price than the variable default we dumped everyone on just in case everything goes to poo poo again, aren’t we so generous to look after you like this?’ variety to gouge the gently caress out of people who are already terrified about their bills

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

(I don't have a smart meter, I have a spreadsheet).

I’ve had a call every day for the last week from shell about getting a smart meter and I’m running out of polite patience in telling them I don’t want one

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

History Comes Inside! posted:

A lot of suppliers are doing new tariffs but the ones I’ve looked at all seem to be of the ‘lock yourself in at a significantly higher price than the variable default we dumped everyone on just in case everything goes to poo poo again, aren’t we so generous to look after you like this?’ variety to gouge the gently caress out of people who are already terrified about their bills

I’ve had a call every day for the last week from shell about getting a smart meter and I’m running out of polite patience in telling them I don’t want one

Yeah Octopus have started nagging me about a smart meter. I know I asked on here moons ago something. Anyway, decided not to until the great day comes I have absolutely no choice.
One of the flats is getting a smart meter (with Ovo) soon as her flat - same size as mine - they've knocked her DD up to £160 a month.
Mine's £60 and I'm expecting it to probably go up to £120 pm after the fixed deal I did before it all went pear-shaped runs out in October.
Be interested to see what happens. We've talked through which of her devices might be causing the huge amount but there's nothing she uses more than me, though she doesn't have two laptops on the go but does have one of those electric chairs that move leg supports & back.

A couple of the flats changed a couple of years ago and it caused their storage heaters to stop working which as most of the people living here are elderly and have storage heaters was unacceptable so the company had to come and change the meters back again. I don't have storage heaters.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

a mumsnet post

i dunno what mumsnet posts are like

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Pissing one’s wetsuit as soon as you get in the water is basically etiquette for any sort of water sports at this point (not just that kind)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Unrelated to anything in particular but this was linked in another thread and made me think of Jaeluni, as my understanding basically taps out about half way through.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1J6Ou4q8vE

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Nuclear Spoon posted:

why, there's been a circus in this very thread for the last 2 days

I heard this in Niles Crane’s voice.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I'm pretty sure you can if you're new into a property (rent or own). Big recommend to Octopus if you do. I've got a code if you decide to do that which should get us £50 each if you sign up with them. (Seems it couldn't be used people who were compulsorily switched). If you decide to, let me know before you do as you have to sign up via the code link.

I'm intending to swap to octopus - could I have the code? (I'm assuming it can be used by several people)

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Angrymog posted:

I'm intending to swap to octopus - could I have the code? (I'm assuming it can be used by several people)

Sent you via PM. Hope it works!

OwlFancier posted:

Unrelated to anything in particular but this was linked in another thread and made me think of Jaeluni, as my understanding basically taps out about half way through.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1J6Ou4q8vE

I'll have a look probably tomorrow now. Ensconced in my forces of Laura Norder shows right now.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Thanks, I'll take a code too please if that's okay! My parents recommended Octopus as well so I'm likely to go with them anyway.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Thanks, I'll take a code too please if that's okay! My parents recommended Octopus as well so I'm likely to go with them anyway.

PMd

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

ok gr8

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/BBCPolitics/status/1687860958209691649

:toot:

I hope he does, just to boil Starmer's piss

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

suggests he thinks winning his own seat back as an independent is hosed

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Yeah, winning Islington North feels more doable and also more useful tbh

I don't think he wants to be mayor, really

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Microplastics posted:

This is my go-to image for

LOOK at that dribble. That's proper liquid

i uh don't suppose you'd mind spoilering that image, i don't enjoy seeing it when i'm skimming the thread

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Aug 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
This is the UK, we see poo poo every day.