Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Your Computer posted:

i feel like people have widely differently expectations and limits which can be really frustrating

like i've never seen anyone else mention how hard the fans are running as a downside but for me it's just too loud and i get distracted from the game. i would rather the game looked completely potato but ran silently tbh but those are my limits i guess

People complained about it here, but it's quieter than a PS4 with similar specs. Why don't you make the game look potato?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
You can also alter the fan profile and make it run quieter, at the expense of being hotter. In theory you could have the system running at 90 degrees without problems.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Vic posted:

People complained about it here, but it's quieter than a PS4 with similar specs. Why don't you make the game look potato?

This is true, but you also don't usually have the PS4 directly in front of your face.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

uiruki posted:

I don't have the game but if you don't mind slightly less performance try setting the TDP to 13 or 11 watts, you still get 90% or so of the performance but it should run the fans much less noisily. 11 watts seems to be where you get the most efficiency out of the Deck's processor but you can get a little boost at 13 if you need just a little more, like God of War or Lost Judgment. I've found that running it full tilt isn't worth the noise or battery drain.

i have no idea what this means or what TDP is, tell me more...

Vic posted:

i bought a (used) ps4 to play monster hunter and it was so loud that i stopped playing it lmao. nothing comes close to how loud the ps4 is, that machine is genuinely louder than a lot of vacuum cleaners

anyway i already tried running bg3 on the lowest possible settings and it didn't really make much difference on the fans compared to the recommended settings - still blowing at full. it's cool that the game runs on the deck at all tho, and if we're lucky the devs will keep optimizing post-launch

e:

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

This is true, but you also don't usually have the PS4 directly in front of your face.

in the above story i didn't have a TV so i had the PS4 right next to my pc monitor and let me tell you it was not pleasant :shepface:

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

PS4 Remote Play is a godsend, I can leave the console under the TV and pretend I'm living in a utopia where Bloodborne actually came out on PC.

Can you run PS Remote Play on the Deck? A bit of Bloodborne on the shitter would be just the ticket.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Your Computer posted:

TDP's in the qam performance section, the one with the battery icon. Turning down the in game settings isn't necessarily going to get you running cool enough that the fans ramp down, but if you turn the settings down to how bad you're willing to let it look, and then crank the wattage down until the framerate starts going to poo poo, you can choose exactly how much power you're drawing, which also dictates how hot its gonna run (and also how much battery life you get)

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

PS4 Remote Play is a godsend, I can leave the console under the TV and pretend I'm living in a utopia where Bloodborne actually came out on PC.

Can you run PS Remote Play on the Deck? A bit of Bloodborne on the shitter would be just the ticket.
Google chiaki

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Mr E posted:

How does D:OS 2 run? I didn't get BG3 yet but was wanting to try that with some mods.

Do yourself a favor and at least run DOS 6.22 for the quality of life improvements. You don’t wanna be using edlin with a touch keyboard

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

BG3 runs fine unless you’re one of those freaks who insists anything less than 4k120 ultra everything is like having shards of glass poured into your precious pc gamer eyeballs, jeez

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Your Computer posted:

i bought a (used) ps4 to play monster hunter and it was so loud that i stopped playing it lmao. nothing comes close to how loud the ps4 is, that machine is genuinely louder than a lot of vacuum cleaners

anyway i already tried running bg3 on the lowest possible settings and it didn't really make much difference on the fans compared to the recommended settings - still blowing at full. it's cool that the game runs on the deck at all tho, and if we're lucky the devs will keep optimizing post-launch

e:

in the above story i didn't have a TV so i had the PS4 right next to my pc monitor and let me tell you it was not pleasant :shepface:

Yeah I mean it's producing a lot of heat so that's what you're hearing. Not many ways around that little problem currently.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

homeless snail posted:

TDP's in the qam performance section, the one with the battery icon. Turning down the in game settings isn't necessarily going to get you running cool enough that the fans ramp down, but if you turn the settings down to how bad you're willing to let it look, and then crank the wattage down until the framerate starts going to poo poo, you can choose exactly how much power you're drawing, which also dictates how hot its gonna run (and also how much battery life you get)

i've only ever used this section for the performance display, i didn't actually know i had all these settings... thanks!

from what i can tell the framerate limit is also a lot more stable than the one in-game so that's another plus. guess i have more stuff to tinker with!

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Yeah usually, depends on the game. Its basically forcing on vsync and lying to the game about what the refresh rate is which most games works pretty good. The 45hz mode owns, also, huge battery life gain + way easier to lock 45 on these games than 60

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
Unreal games in particular don't hold their inbuilt frame limits very well, so you often get a smoother display asking the Deck to do it - Octopath 2 was pretty stuttery until I set the ingame frame limit to 120 and used the Deck limiter. It's worth having a tinker for 30 seconds or so if it doesn't look smooth even while running well, and the ability to save config per-game means that you don't have to worry about messing up another game by setting it to 40hz or allowing tearing or whatever.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I set everything to 40 and it's generally fine enough for me that way. But agreed on the fan ramping up taking away from the experience. I really need to get moonlight working again because I haven't really used my gaming PC hardly at all since getting the deck. Better visuals, hardly any fan, easy 60hz and more battery life. It was great playing elden ring that way. I wish Nvidia didn't break it for no reason in particular.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Suburban Dad posted:

I set everything to 40 and it's generally fine enough for me that way. But agreed on the fan ramping up taking away from the experience. I really need to get moonlight working again because I haven't really used my gaming PC hardly at all since getting the deck. Better visuals, hardly any fan, easy 60hz and more battery life. It was great playing elden ring that way. I wish Nvidia didn't break it for no reason in particular.

https://github.com/LizardByte/Sunshine

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Vic posted:

Yeah I mean it's producing a lot of heat so that's what you're hearing. Not many ways around that little problem currently.

Jamming LK99 into my Steam Deck and hoping for they best.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

I love steam deck

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I don't really understand buying a handheld just to plug it into a dock and attach it to a TV.

Like, I have a Switch, but the only game I play docked is Fire Emblem, and only because the text is tiny.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I want to lay on the sofa playing Skyrim and then also continue playing Skyrim when I need to poo poo.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
I have just learned that it’s pronounced “Katamari Damashi” thanks to my Steamdeck. I’m running the game at 5 watts TDP, 500 MHz GPU and locking it at 45 fps.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Annath posted:

I don't really understand buying a handheld just to plug it into a dock and attach it to a TV.

Like, I have a Switch, but the only game I play docked is Fire Emblem, and only because the text is tiny.

playing a game on a 65 inch screen kicks way more rear end than on a 7 inch screen, op

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Tatsuta Age posted:

I love steam deck

:same:

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Annath posted:

Mainly it turns out that holding a hefty piece of PC hardware in a sustained, non-neutral position for hours at a time will speedrun the deterioration of your wrists and tendons, over the course of weeks and months.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Annath posted:

the deck is also a full functional pc, so I do serious nerd poo poo with it like writing papers and doing my monthly budget with Office 365 Online. Youtube is also fun to watch on a larger screen.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

tango alpha delta posted:

the deck is also a full functional pc, so I do serious nerd poo poo with it like writing papers and doing my monthly budget with Office 365 Online. Youtube is also fun to watch on a larger screen.

It really is and I love people who are not afraid of using their nerdy gaming gadgets to their full potential.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Your Computer posted:

i feel like people have widely differently expectations and limits which can be really frustrating

like i've never seen anyone else mention how hard the fans are running as a downside but for me it's just too loud and i get distracted from the game. i would rather the game looked completely potato but ran silently tbh but those are my limits i guess

You probably have the lovely delta fan. You can check in settings > system

If it’s delta, you can improve things a lot by swapping it out. There’s an ifixit kit for that

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

I really don't get AAA games on the deck, I don't feel it's the device for stuff that's meant to be experienced on a 60" screen in 4k and That's OK. The fan noise also annoys me when I'm holding the thing in my hands. I installed Cook! Serve! Delicious! on a whim and I got hooked, its another perfect Deck game to just pick up and play for a while. They're even going to the trouble of getting the original verified on Deck which is nice of them!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

barbecue at the folks posted:

I really don't get AAA games on the deck, I don't feel it's the device for stuff that's meant to be experienced on a 60" screen in 4k and That's OK. The fan noise also annoys me when I'm holding the thing in my hands. I installed Cook! Serve! Delicious! on a whim and I got hooked, its another perfect Deck game to just pick up and play for a while. They're even going to the trouble of getting the original verified on Deck which is nice of them!

Sometimes, in cases such as mine, it's my main gaming pc. I don't play many AAA titles anyway, but it's nice that I can.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

I work from home and have 10 hour shifts so the last thing I want to do after sitting at my desk for 10 hours is to CONTINUE sitting at my desk gaming. So I plug the Deck into my TV and chill on my couch and give my rear end a break.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Soysaucebeast posted:

I work from home and have 10 hour shifts so the last thing I want to do after sitting at my desk for 10 hours is to CONTINUE sitting at my desk gaming. So I plug the Deck into my TV and chill on my couch and give my rear end a break.

Hell yeah 🫡

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

My gaming pc hasn’t been switched on since March of 2020 because that’s where my work stuff had to go and it feels nice to be off the hardware treadmill tbh.

I may never build another desktop again.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Soysaucebeast posted:

This sounds like a console with more steps.

I don't dock mine but get the appeal after owning a switch. I also have my gaming PC hooked up to my tv so I can play games from the couch as long as controller support is good, so that is probably a factor. All that said, I still like laying on the couch or bed and playing my deck handheld more than any of the options. :v:

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

$15.99 for the base game.

$39.59 for the base game and the sun break expansion.

Ah yes, thank you, but I should have probably been more clear and said I meant in terms of resolution, graphics settings and fps.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

ConanThe3rd posted:

Ah yes, thank you, but I should have probably been more clear and said I meant in terms of resolution, graphics settings and fps.

Most videos I've seen say it's locked 60 at average settings and 1280x800 resolution.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

barbecue at the folks posted:

I just went on vacation after r&c and remnant 2 came out so it's kinda nice to be able to take them with me without much of a thought, but otherwise I don't use the deck for anything too fancy either. It's cool to have the ability for occasions like this, but its not a complete replacement for PC or consoles to me.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

tango alpha delta posted:

A friend of mine has ventured into using his deck as his one stop travel work device for short trips and it mostly seems to work fine? He has a folding travel keyboard, an external SSD to hold work files, and the screen is big enough for him to write emails and do some basic coding stuff without causing too much eyestrain. The only hiccup is the lack of a camera means he has to use his phone to call in to remote meetings but that's a quibble more than anything.

Obviously not going to be everyone's experience but the versatility and quality of what you can get out of one device is honestly impressive.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
The process isn't any more complicated than the Switch in terms of docking. The deck being a console with more steps was literally what we all signed up for when getting this thing anyway.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Momomo posted:

The process isn't any more complicated than the Switch in terms of docking. The deck being a console with more steps was literally what we all signed up for when getting this thing anyway.

Exactly. I've basically tried every method I can think of to hook my PC up to my TV for some couch gaming, and the Deck is by far the easiest. I mean, I've used a Steam Link, the Steam Link app on an Nvidia Sheild, a gigantic HDMI cable, etc etc etc. I've been wanting something like a Deck for years and I bought one as soon as I heard about it. It's exactly what I wanted and if there is a game that absolutely runs like dogshit on it, I can still play it on my Desktop on the weekends or something.

AND on days I do need to go to the office I can just take it with me instead of streaming to my tablet and dealing with the latency there.

ZIGfried
Nov 4, 2005

I can hardly contain myself!
Had an old fashioned LAN party to celebrate the launch of BG3. Two of us used exclusively the steam deck: me on a larger monitor and my friend using the steam deck proper. 12+ hours of gaming running steady at 30fps at medium settings. Was a pretty awesome time. The control scheme is pretty serviceable and I was pretty impressed by how quickly my friend (in his 50s) picked it up. I just missed some functions like "focus camera on party member 2 and go to their location." Currently working on a control scheme with K+M and controller action layers to get the best of both worlds.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Switching between m+kb and controller hitches the game a bit as it changes the hud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZIGfried
Nov 4, 2005

I can hardly contain myself!

RandolphCarter posted:

Switching between m+kb and controller hitches the game a bit as it changes the hud.

It does, my buddy got caught in trying to use the touch screen a number of times. I find it isn't so bad if you're expecting it. I prefer controller for combat because the radial menus are all set up in game. It's also better for dialogue. M+K is better in the overall looting and exploring areas.