Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the fact that the economics of folding phones means one can purchase a good phone and a good tablet for several hundred dollars less should have made them a non-starter but people just want to make it happen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
i still want an ipad mini i can fold in half an slip into my pocket but im more than content to wait and see if they figure that out

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

it's possible it's as "figured out" as it's going to get

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
“new devices,” I say to myself as I caress my iPhone. I’m 35 and will never be young and in love in Paris.

“new devices!” I excitedly whisper, gently dabbing smudges off of my iPad. I am 40 with a belly and have no children. my on-again-off-again girlfriend looks bored.

“NEW DEVICES” fills my mind as I close my google folding phone. the bliss is so complete and all-encompassing that I do not notice as the screen shatters due to a grain of sand in the bezel gutter

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

qirex posted:

it's possible it's as "figured out" as it's going to get

progress sure seems slow. but i don't dare to bet against a material science problem being solved, because the track record on those remains pretty strong.

some people around here had the take that no one would *want* a folding phone even if the reliability (and with that likely the price) problems were fixed, but it seems a pretty compelling device for many in such a reality. to the point that i would expect apple to make the first good one if a good one is ever made (pinpointing the moment to tap the right supplier being a remaining apple talent).

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I wouldn't dislike a flip phone style iphone but I'd only purchase one if there were no major compromises and it didn't cost triple what a non flip one does. I have no interest in the ice cream sandwich form factor

plus you say "don't bet against material science" meanwhile batteries haven't really got any better in the last decade and there's way more people working on that than how to make electronics bendier

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

call me back when they make a phone that rolls up like a papyrus scroll.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Smartphones are a solved problem, the candy bar format is what works best for most people, and like any mature industry the rate of profit is going to fall. They're just trying to force through these solutions-without-a-problem to keep the good times going and the best they can do is an $1800 device that commits suicide if you don't blow it off before you close it.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
i wouldn't bet against material science, but i'd bet against material you

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Sagebrush posted:

:hmmyes:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

they had an ereader done up like this

anyway i think foldables can be crazy successful with the caveat that it requires a big advancement in materials. but i reckon that’s probably achievable at some point and likely more feasible than actually good true ar

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

qirex posted:

the fact that the economics of folding phones means one can purchase a good phone and a good tablet for several hundred dollars less should have made them a non-starter but people just want to make it happen
But I don't want a stupid tablet as a separate thing to carry around. Which is why I don't have one now.

If I'm carrying a bag, I'll just take my laptop. If not, it would be good to have a larger screen sometimes.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

mediaphage posted:

they had an ereader done up like this

anyway i think foldables can be crazy successful with the caveat that it requires a big advancement in materials. but i reckon that’s probably achievable at some point and likely more feasible than actually good true ar

yes but what if instead of waiting until it is feasible we made a hugely expensive piece of poo poo that breaks at the drop of a hat ?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

yes but what if instead of waiting until it is feasible we made a hugely expensive piece of poo poo that breaks at the drop of a hat ?

bold to assume that thing could withstand the weight of a hat

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

lol

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Eighteen hundred US dollars

Apple is bad because iPhones are expensive

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Because~
We are wishing for new material science, and I am a Material appliance

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

gj android

I don't think this is the standard clock because the standard one doesn't let you run multiple timers, because obviously there are no circumstances where you might ever want to time multiple things at once

trust android developers to not know about cooking

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

1.9 is the least amount of clocks ever shown on an android screen

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
the new hotness is apparently having multiple signal strength meters

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Jabor posted:

the new hotness is apparently having multiple signal strength meters

that's because I've got two SIM cards in atm while I switch networks to one that doesn't show me max 4g but fails to actually do anything because the provider doesn't have enough capacity

I hosed up the transfer time for the number though so I'm gonna end up paying for a month I don't need on the old one

e: wait no it's transferring on the billing day and they've just pulled the card details so I've got away with it

60gb of data on the new one for £10 it's ridiculous

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

gj android

I don't think this is the standard clock because the standard one doesn't let you run multiple timers, because obviously there are no circumstances where you might ever want to time multiple things at once

trust android developers to not know about cooking

look at this nerd showing the time in hex

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
setting your signal strength in db is the new multi clock

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
dude sitting at the bar apparently paid for a bendy phone :confused:

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

AT&T is clearing their iPhones 14 Pro stock so we got two of them for $600 total by trading in our iPhones 12

Meanwhile, the Samsung Galaxy Fold 5 is $1900+

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

AT&T is clearing their iPhones 14 Pro stock so we got two of them for $600 total by trading in our iPhones 12

is timb going to fix this oversight soon

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I’d rather have an iphone 14 with satellite sos than a bendy phone

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Bendy phone bendy life

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

iphones 6 can run android now?

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
bendy straws and bendy phones both suck

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

do those things still break constantly like the first generation did? that's a year or two of replacements baked into the price

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Clark Nova posted:

do those things still break constantly like the first generation did? that's a year or two of replacements baked into the price

sure do lmao. I've never seen one in the wild

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

sure do lmao. I've never seen one in the wild

why I was so confused. thought about walking up to the guy like “you know Samsung is pranking you, right?”

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

why I was so confused. thought about walking up to the guy like “you know Samsung is pranking you, right?”

A $1900+ prank.

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
YOSPOS has had 'anroid lol' threads for over a decade at this point and we've gone from the Samung Note 1 costing $750 in 2012 to the Samsung Fold 5 costing $1900+ in 2023 so it's pretty clear that these threads have actually made the samsung anroid lol worse

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

when ur anroid is a 5.3" gimmick

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

clear evidence CPI is dramatically underestimating inflation

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I remember getting cheap or free phones back in 2012 as long as you had a contract with your phone provider

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

I've never seen one in the wild

I take PT every weekday so I spot them, and they all have an awful faded area in the crease that you can clearly see even as a stickbeak

(it's not all anroid lol; last week there was an old lady who had a humongous 12.9" iPad Pro in laptop mode, running clash of clans or something
and schoolkids trying to play Minecraft on a Surface which looked bloody awful)