Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

I think you should edit your post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

SlimGoodbody posted:

https://fortune.com/2023/08/03/amazon-svp-mike-hopkins-office-return/

"An Amazon exec says it’s time for workers to ‘disagree and commit’ to an office return: ‘I don’t have data to back it up, but I know it’s better’

'We’re here, we’re back. It’s working,' Mike Hopkins, Amazon Studios head, said in a meeting, before acknowledging a lack of evidence."

It’s always either

“I’m losing money on my commercial real estate holdings” or

“I can’t micromanage and torment my staff as well remotely” or

“My employees are happier working from home and I can’t loving stand it”

Every single time. They never articulate a legitimate reason to do this, and half the time they slip up and articulate the planned return as punishment in itself!

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
please dont wish harm on our honorable and noble Amazon execs. thank you.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
also there's still covid so you don't go to the office and die

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

RealityWarCriminal posted:

also there's still covid so you don't go to the office and die

rules are rules, criminal

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

skooma512 posted:

I’m glad we’ve returned to the traditional way of giving people affordable education: Do you throw ball good? if not gently caress off

hilariously, the people that win these don't do it by throwing the ball like you normally would, but by chest-passing it into the hole like a basketball

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Rhesus Pieces posted:

It’s always either

“I’m losing money on my commercial real estate holdings” or

“I can’t micromanage and torment my staff as well remotely” or

“My employees are happier working from home and I can’t loving stand it”

Every single time. They never articulate a legitimate reason to do this, and half the time they slip up and articulate the planned return as punishment in itself!
it's mostly none of these things

it's a tool for doing layoffs without having to pay out warn act / severance/unemployment / impacting shareholder value / negative media sentiment

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Paradoxish posted:

the answer is actually that we should have more regulation nationalization but lol, lmao, etc.

Yeah, that ain't happening, but I wish it would!

Ammanas posted:

you need public owner municipal power companies. SMUD owns PG&E murders people. guess which company is beholden to share value and share holders.

Yeah, that's the problem: one of the two (SRP) is publicly owned, so there are some "limits" to what they do/charge.

The other though, APS, is a subsidiary of Pinnacle West Corporation, which is publicly-traded; in addition to basically controlling 1/2 the Phoenix metro area at least and the only designated power utility for it, the company regularly funded/endorsed GOP candidates who'd shut down renewable policies, protect dark money usage, etc., while also funding the campaigns for seats on the Arizona Corporation Commission that regulates APS and others. I think one election they got busted spending like $60M on Republican candidates for the commission, so that they'd be ensured to see their rate increases/etc. rubber stamped.

Unfortunately I have to be an APS customer :unsmith:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

mawarannahr posted:

it's the first hot sauce I tried in America and I like it on an omelette.
this is a small pet peeve when someone "oh but X is good on eggs!!", and i'll let you in on a little secret: literally every single thing is good on eggs. dump plain baslamic vinegar, franks, garlic oil, 40-year old tabasco, sambal olek, fly by jiang, jalapeno pickling juice, gochujang, or even fancy sauces. eggs exist to get flavored by even sneezing on them. there is not a single condiment that isn't good on eggs.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

best thing is actually chorizo fat drippings though

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Xaris posted:

this is a small pet peeve when someone "oh but X is good on eggs!!", and i'll let you in on a little secret: literally every single thing is good on eggs. dump plain baslamic vinegar, franks, garlic oil, 40-year old tabasco, sambal olek, fly by jiang, jalapeno pickling juice, gochujang, or even fancy sauces. eggs exist to get flavored by even sneezing on them. there is not a single condiment that isn't good on eggs.

I usually hate eggs

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

insurance fraud and maybe divorce

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

If you have access to a car you already have a uniquely american house.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
on one hand not getting married/having a partner virtually guarantees you will never have enough money to actually buy a place without some more complicated "rent out a room" approach that comes with its own risks

on the other hand, you don't have to deal with that, so pretty good tradeoff i'd say

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Florida man notices his mortgage payments mysteriously went up $500 a month. What could it be?

Spoiler alert: that's the cost of home insurance in the hurricane kill zone that all the normal insurance companies have fled

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

1glitch0 posted:

If you have access to a car you already have a uniquely american house.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HL4RQb-ROA

looks nice

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

I keep getting these recommended on YouTube. "I turned my Toyota Corolla into a home!"

err has issued a correction as of 09:56 on Aug 6, 2023

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

aspirational
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xv2VIEY9-A8

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

goons with social anxiety laying inside one of these things trying to remain motionless and silent while a pair of homeless guys lean up against the side of the van and talk to each other about the weather for an hour

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

Fuligin posted:

someone (xaris?) was posting the other day anout how good secret aardvark is and theyre right

arbybaconator posted:

aardvark good

:hmmyes:

it's like SSJ picante sauce for eggs

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Cpt_Obvious posted:

If libertarians were happy with the system they wouldn't be libertarians, imo. It seems to me that one of the core tenants of their ideology is that something is not working, but they've been so pickled in liberalism that only logical conclusion is that they there isn't enough capitalism.

Yeah China Mieville nailed this dynamic about them.

quote:

Big capital will support tax-lowering measures, of course, but it does not need to piss and moan about taxes with the tedious relentlessness of the libertarian. Big capital, with its ranks of accountant-Houdinis, just gets on with not paying it. And why hate a state that pays so well? Big capital is big, after all, not only because of the generous contracts its state obligingly hands it, but because of the gun-ships with which its state opens up markets for it.

Libertarianism, by contrast, is a theory of those who find it hard to avoid their taxes, who are too small, incompetent or insufficiently connected to win Iraq-reconstruction contracts, or otherwise chow at the state trough. In its maundering about a mythical ideal-type capitalism, libertarianism betrays its fear of actually existing capitalism, at which it cannot quite succeed. It is a philosophy of capitalist inadequacy.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Lol

Apr 7, 2003

Vox Nihili posted:

Florida man notices his mortgage payments mysteriously went up $500 a month. What could it be?

Spoiler alert: that's the cost of home insurance in the hurricane kill zone that all the normal insurance companies have fled

Lol x2

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea

For context the car is a 2022 Nissan Maxima

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Beached Whale posted:

amazing

May 11, 2007

Contains Carbon Monoxide

Beached Whale posted:

This is depressing and lol

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Beached Whale posted:

A $50,000 Maxima. Yikes.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Beached Whale posted:

:psyboom:

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

Beached Whale posted:

lol what, come on that can’t be real

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Beached Whale posted:

How bad did the dealer screw them on the interest rate, and how much negative equity did they roll into that vehicle?

Or am I just that out of touch that a Maxima now goes for $1000/month for 72-86 months with $0 down and no trade in? But the math seems kinda wrong on that. New means they have had the car for a year. Used means they got super screwed.

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea

Glumwheels posted:

lol what, come on that can’t be real

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ
Lmao, you can get a decent Mercedes or bmw for that price. They got screwed on dealer extras and the interest rate.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/dieworkwear/status/1688022121543561216?t=BFnT1EuiRwysEwWLT_MP6Q&s=19

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
Taking a date to Olive Garden thinking it's upscale AND wearing sweats because it's not really upscale. Class act.

Frankly, I'm taking my next date to the nicest place in town: Red Robin. And I'll rent a tux.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

wow, it has a shower you have to crouch/sit in a fetal position to use

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
OK, so just to review, a million dollar house is an 80s tract house near but not quite in a 2nd tier US city. A $1000/mo car is a Nissan midsize sedan. A $100 date night is Olive Garden.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

https://twitter.com/parismarx/status/1688187346322124801

Apr 7, 2003

Twerk from Home posted:

OK, so just to review, a million dollar house is an 80s tract house near but not quite in a 2nd tier US city. A $1000/mo car is a Nissan midsize sedan. A $100 date night is Olive Garden.

That’s right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Everything is worthless but you still can't afford it.