Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

NPR has ran a "return to work" story every single day this week and Biden is trying to force feds back into the office, the usual suspects are full bore to get rid of wfh

They NEVER talk about the work life balance or health benefits/improve QoL, the only thing that matters is a nebulous uncited "10% efficiency loss" from "experts" (who haven't set foot outside an MBA mill university for two decades)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
for every time I hear about inefficiencies of wfh i take a minute more in the office bathroom.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Yang Hyang-ja, a former chip engineer and Samsung executive: "im gonna get more former"

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

They killed government cheese ages ago. We wish we had the kind of social safety nets we did back then.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

this country has a deep streak of loving psychosis. it's everywhere. underlies everything. constant loving obsession with car/truk. constant loving obsession with gun. constant loving obsession with the absolute worst things modern society has to offer. persistent guzzling of slop, a firehose of slop down everyone's gaping gullets and they holler and scream and throw loving riots if the pressure goes down even slightly for even a moment.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Xaris posted:

it's mostly none of these things

it's a tool for doing layoffs without having to pay out warn act / severance/unemployment / impacting shareholder value / negative media sentiment

Yeah, they spend 3 years congratulating us for having such great productivity while we are remote and talking about how nice of a perk it is to be able to be flexible about working from home and then bam, suddenly actually we have to go back so that we can be productive again and even if you are classified as fully remote you have to come in five days a week also raises are cancelled.

It’s 100% an attempt to drive attrition without having to pay severances or get any bad press.

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.
Am I the only one who thinks that if you have to take out a loan to buy something, you can't actually afford that thing?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Twerk from Home posted:

OK, so just to review, a million dollar house is an 80s tract house near but not quite in a 2nd tier US city. A $1000/mo car is a Nissan midsize sedan. A $100 date night is Olive Garden.

and most of the country will physically fight you if you tell them capitalism has failed them

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

South Korea could be occupied in 24 hours this lady is deranged

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Actuary X posted:

Am I the only one who thinks that if you have to take out a loan to buy something, you can't actually afford that thing?

In America, you don't have much choice. You need a car, full stop, in most of the country. Not having one means you can't hold down a job. And if you can't pay $30,000 up front, you have to take out a loan.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Justin Tyme posted:

NPR has ran a "return to work" story every single day this week and Biden is trying to force feds back into the office, the usual suspects are full bore to get rid of wfh

They NEVER talk about the work life balance or health benefits/improve QoL, the only thing that matters is a nebulous uncited "10% efficiency loss" from "experts" (who haven't set foot outside an MBA mill university for two decades)

There’s one study out there from India that is specifically during the period of time when childcare was shut down and there was a small loss in productivity (that parents made up by working a little extra hours) and I’ve seen it quoted a whole bunch because it’s the only data point that anyone can point to that wfh has negatives.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Nonsense posted:

South Korea could be occupied in 24 hours this lady is deranged

Countries with Nukes tend to frown on being occupied.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Lady who works for a company manufacturing chips for the US says US shouldn't want to make chips for itself

Tsitsikovas
Aug 2, 2023

quote:

“If [Washington] continues to try to punish other nations and to pass bills and implement ‘America First’ policies in an unpredictable manner, other countries could form an alliance against the US,” Yang told the Financial Times in an interview.

“The US is the strongest nation in the world,” she added. “It should consider more of humanity’s common values. Appearing to use its strength as a weapon is not desirable.”

lol

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
Enough wfh talk, lets talk about our silicon valley tech geniuses who are going to reinvent space travel. From techcrunch:

Astra has laid off 25% of its workforce since the beginning of the quarter and is reallocating at least 50 engineers and manufacturing staff away from its launch business to focus on spacecraft production, the company said Friday.

The reallocation and layoffs are expected to delay testing of the under-development Rocket 4 and Launch System 2.0, Astra said. The affected employees worked in the company’s launch, sales and administration and “shared services” departments. Workforce reductions are expected to save the company more than $4 million per quarter beginning in the fourth quarter of this year.

Astra, which is facing dwindling cash reserves, is no doubt looking for a way to further reduce operating expenses while also bolstering its spacecraft engine business, the only business unit that currently has a near-term chance of generating revenue. The spacecraft engine technology is sourced from Astra’s acquisition of propulsion developer Apollo Fusion, which closed the day Astra went public in July 2021..

According to preliminary second-quarter financial results, Astra is expected to have revenues between $0.5-$1 million, while having just $26-$26.5 million in cash on hand.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

some of what’s going on there is that a lot of the chips act money is going to Japanese and Taiwanese manufacturers who are moving factories to the US.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Actuary X posted:

you have to have things you can't afford, this is america

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

Glumwheels posted:

Lmao, you can get a decent Mercedes or bmw for that price. They got screwed on dealer extras and the interest rate.

I swear last time I looked at a maxima even like the trim with all the features was 35 out the door, it’s gotta be like a 20% loan or something.

Troutful
May 31, 2011

Justin Tyme posted:

My mom just retired from a managerial position with the federal government. They made her go back into the office for a couple days per week, I think before they mandated return to office for other employees. So she would commute ~1 hour each way to an abandoned office and I guess just spin around in her chair all day. Government efficiency ftw

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

Actuary X posted:

I mean it’s not a bad philosophy to save first and buy later for a lot of purchases, but depending on interest rates and inflation it can be leaving money on the table. If you for example have a good mortgage from a couple years back and the money to immediately pay it off, it’s literally free money to take that and put it in safe vessels like high yield savings or cd’s at current rates instead.

it’s one of the stark realities of the American economy and why a lot of well off people tend to think the economy is “good” if you’re already ahead you kind of just naturally get more ahead as long as you’re not a total fuckup.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

PoundSand posted:

I mean it’s not a bad philosophy to save first and buy later for a lot of purchases, but depending on interest rates and inflation it can be leaving money on the table. If you for example have a good mortgage from a couple years back and the money to immediately pay it off, it’s literally free money to take that and put it in safe vessels like high yield savings or cd’s at current rates instead.

it’s one of the stark realities of the American economy and why a lot of well off people tend to think the economy is “good” if you’re already ahead you kind of just naturally get more ahead as long as you’re not a total fuckup.

That was true for the 15 years we had low-to-zero interest rates.

Guess what recently changed!!

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

PoundSand posted:

I swear last time I looked at a maxima even like the trim with all the features was 35 out the door, it’s gotta be like a 20% loan or something.

just go to the Nissan website, it starts at 38k

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Nissan's have smelly transmissions, be best and get another thing

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Nonsense posted:

Nissan's have smelly transmissions, be best and get another thing

I rent a lot of cars and the nissans I’ve had are barely a step above the absolute poo poo tier Chevy Malibu I’ve gotten this time. I would never buy a nissan everything about then felt lovely to drive. only rental car I’ve had that had interior trim squeak when I hit a bump

Hondas have been the best cars I’ve rented, pleasant to drive and trim is reasonable quality. I’d buy a Honda.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Glumwheels posted:

Lmao, you can get a decent Mercedes or bmw for that price. They got screwed on dealer extras and the interest rate.

What're you talking about, that's only like used compact FWD pickup money.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Twerk from Home posted:

What're you talking about, that's only like used compact FWD pickup money.

lol msrp on those vehicles is like $23k

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

fits my needs posted:

wow, it has a shower you have to crouch/sit in a fetal position to use

I like the makeshift seat in back, a plank suspended above a shower pan, when the front of the car has 2 seats

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Antonymous posted:

I like the makeshift seat in back, a plank suspended above a shower pan, when the front of the car has 2 seats

The idea behind these is that you make it look like a parked van with no one in it. If you're sitting in the front at 11 PM typing on your laptop or whatever, then they know that there's a person there. A person who is potentially unhoused, which no cop on the planet can look at for long without acting. When there's no person visible there, police officers mistake it as property only, affording it all of the protections and benefits that property gets over human beings.

I know all this because when I was much, much younger, I had a phase where I really wanted to own one of these. Never mind that I am too tall to sleep in the back of one without folding myself into a pretzel. I got over it, but the knowledge remains.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

SKULL.GIF posted:

this country has a deep streak of loving psychosis. it's everywhere. underlies everything. constant loving obsession with car/truk. constant loving obsession with gun. constant loving obsession with the absolute worst things modern society has to offer. persistent guzzling of slop, a firehose of slop down everyone's gaping gullets and they holler and scream and throw loving riots if the pressure goes down even slightly for even a moment.

I would guess replacing class consciousness centred around the shared experience of production with an individuated facsimile centred around consumption is the core issue.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

anonumos posted:

A $50,000 Maxima. Yikes.

MSRP on the top trim is $44k and change. That can easily cost $48k out the door with taxes and doc fees alone.

$1k/month means they didn't put any money down and are getting totally hosed on the interest rate.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Nothus posted:

MSRP on the top trim is $44k and change. That can easily cost $48k out the door with taxes and doc fees alone.

$1k/month means they didn't put any money down and are getting totally hosed on the interest rate.

and they bought the most expensive one

still a huge loving yikes

that’s like financial malpractice deserving of an intervention or a divorce.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

LeeMajors posted:

and they bought the most expensive one

still a huge loving yikes

that’s like financial malpractice deserving of an intervention or a divorce.

Buddy, you can't put a price on this

*Gestures at Nissan badge*

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Justin Tyme posted:

has the FIRE sector considered just making it illegal for commercial real estate to devalue

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

The idea behind these is that you make it look like a parked van with no one in it. If you're sitting in the front at 11 PM typing on your laptop or whatever, then they know that there's a person there. A person who is potentially unhoused, which no cop on the planet can look at for long without acting. When there's no person visible there, police officers mistake it as property only, affording it all of the protections and benefits that property gets over human beings.

I know all this because when I was much, much younger, I had a phase where I really wanted to own one of these. Never mind that I am too tall to sleep in the back of one without folding myself into a pretzel. I got over it, but the knowledge remains.

yah I 100% get that. but you could put up a sunshield and get one of those seats that does a 180 so you don't have to exit the vehicle

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

comedyblissoption posted:

has the FIRE sector considered just making it illegal for commercial real estate to devalue

yes this is the policy of every mayor in america

netizen
Jun 25, 2023

SKULL.GIF posted:

Yeah, but have you ever driven a Nissan Maxima? That' a sweet ride my brotha.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

there's a youtube channel where an insane swiss man rebuilds old appliances. like 1915 old. most refurbishing channels just sandblast a thing, repaint, call it good. this swiss guy spot welds to fill any manufacturing defect, hand files off casting marks. just insane amount of work.

He just posted he's going to refurbish a Nissan Z, already a 25minute+ video of the disassembly. it's going to be the most incredible thing ever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tllAaDaGShg

the word nissan triggered me. i really wanna see these videos

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
My Mechanics is an amazing craftsman and artist. Everyone should watch all of his videos.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

SKULL.GIF posted:

This is what it says under the Statue of Liberty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Rhesus Pieces posted:

It’s always either

“I’m losing money on my commercial real estate holdings” or

“I can’t micromanage and torment my staff as well remotely” or

“My employees are happier working from home and I can’t loving stand it”

Every single time. They never articulate a legitimate reason to do this, and half the time they slip up and articulate the planned return as punishment in itself!

I get a kick out of turning the "logic" of capitalism back at them: "Hmm...sounds like a 'you' problem. Have you considered picking yourself up by the bootstraps?"