Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

SlimGoodbody posted:

This is what it says under the Statue of Liberty

You'll find that the engraving under the Statue of Liberty is more of a guideline than a rule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

SlimGoodbody posted:

This is what it says under the Statue of Liberty

Give me your wired, your wealthy. Your huddled masses yearning to consume free, The premium customers of your teeming shore, Send these, the homeowners, tempest-tossed to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

fits my needs posted:

wow, it has a shower you have to crouch/sit in a fetal position to use

I'd probably just opt for a basin sponge bath at that point

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I get a kick out of turning the "logic" of capitalism back at them: "Hmm...sounds like a 'you' problem. Have you considered picking yourself up by the bootstraps?"

“Investing involves risk, including possible loss of principal. Past performance is not an indication of future results”

- disclaimer on E*Trade.

But hey if you and government officials are aligned in class interest you too can make society operate inefficiently on purpose so you can guarantee the performance of your investment.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Antonymous posted:

majiang/dandan noodles are basically just dumping out peanut butter and chili oil on your spagetti

completely overwhelming peanut (seasame) flavor

I didn't know this had a specific name but i do this all the time lol.

me: I like the flavor of pad thai, what if pad thai on different noodles with more peanut????????

yes very good.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

saving this for later

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

The big tell for van campers is the rooftop vent. No way in hell your company that can't bother to slap a name on their fleet van is going to spend the extra $$ on those.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
"I have a serious hankering for some Honey BBQ Dori--"

https://twitter.com/anitablou0317/status/1688268939606827011?t=D4XBMjfLNLyGhwjgYWdmow&s=19

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Xaris posted:

lol you dont even want to know how many hot sauces i have in my fridge and how many ive gone through. so dont get me started

some people are coffee snobs, some people are beer snobs, some are pizza snobs, some are wine snobs, some are audio equipment vinyl snobs, im a hot sauce snob

hot sauce doesn't go in the fridge, it deadens the flavor

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

I love soy and wheat. But especially soy.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

Twerk from Home posted:

What're you talking about, that's only like used compact FWD pickup money.

Lol, everything is broken

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

nomad2020 posted:

The big tell for van campers is the rooftop vent. No way in hell your company that can't bother to slap a name on their fleet van is going to spend the extra $$ on those.

The big-rear end rack of solar panels on the roof in that video is also a head scratcher. Very "stealthy"

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
God help them if they put fentanyl in my Cool Ranch!:black101:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

if my job sticks with hybrid I’ll be happy . full wfh seems like it drives managers insane

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

BornAPoorBlkChild posted:

God help them if they put fentanyl in my Cool Ranch!:black101:

That sounds epic

stumblebum
May 8, 2022

no, what you want to do is get somebody mad enough to give you a red title you're proud of

Hubbert posted:

Give me your wired, your wealthy. Your huddled masses yearning to consume free, The premium customers of your teeming shore, Send these, the homeowners, tempest-tossed to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!

Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to work for free, The unemployed refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me, I lift my whip beside the factory door!

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Also, speaking as someone who works in a job that means multiple road crossings at rush hour, anything that reduces both the wait and risk there is good, I have enough trouble with dumbfuck student drivers.

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.
There's already the TSA precheck and airport lounges for the higher class tier of flyers, but I guess there's the next level up of having a private terminal? What's involved with a fully private chartered flight that makes paying for a private terminal a better play?

PS At ATL: New Private Luxury Airport Facility

quote:

PS facility opening at Atlanta Airport
On September 6, 2023, PS will be opening a new private terminal at Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport (ATL). PS is intended to reimagine the pre-flight and post-flight experience by allowing members to fly commercial without setting foot in the airport terminal.

PS at ATL will offer a private terminal with on-site TSA screening. Once through security, passengers can either hang out in a Private Suite or The Salon:

- Private Suites provide travelers with complete privacy in their own spacious accommodation; this is ideal for those who greatly value privacy, and where cost is no object
- The Salon offers a social lounge where guests can hang out prior to their flight; this is ideal for those who want the experience while spending as little as possible, as well as for those who are extroverts

At boarding time, passengers will be driven to their commercial flight at any of ATL’s gates to board the plane directly from the apron. For those arriving at ATL, the experience is reversed, as customers are picked up at their plane and driven to the facility. For those arriving on international flights, there’s even private customs clearance.

PS at ATL will feature an extensive menu of cocktails and chef-prepared meals, as well as spa and beauty offerings, such as massages, manicures, barber services, and more (some things are complimentary, others aren’t).

PS at ATL is also expected to showcase a range of regional amenities and partners that “shine a light on some of Atlanta’s most notable and noteworthy brands and artisans.” There will be extensive artwork from Black artists, and antique and vintage furniture pieces sourced from local collectors.

How much does PS at ATL cost?
As you’d expect, the PS at ATL experience comes at a steep cost.

For non-members, you can expect to pay:

$1,095 per person to use The Salon
$4,085 for up to four people to use a Private Suite
You can also become a member of PS, which costs $4,850 per year, and then you can expect to pay:

$750 per person to use The Salon
$3,550 for up to four people to use a Private Suite

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Rip Testes posted:

There's already the TSA precheck and airport lounges for the higher class tier of flyers, but I guess there's the next level up of having a private terminal? What's involved with a fully private chartered flight that makes paying for a private terminal a better play?

probably for poo poo like apple execs who aren’t in the ownership class with full time private jets but spend all their time flying from supplier to supplier to extract concessions

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

euphronius posted:

if my job sticks with hybrid I’ll be happy . full wfh seems like it drives managers insane

Good

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Rip Testes posted:

this sounds like a version of an airport lounge where they drive you across the tarmac to the plane instead of you having to walk to the gate and line up to get your boarding pass scanned.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Rip Testes posted:

this honestly makes no sense. if you travel enough that you want a top tier lounge experience, then you can get a platinum card for $695 a year and go to a centurion lounge. there's 40 or so of them but pretty much all the major us cities have one.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Shear Modulus posted:

this sounds like a version of an airport lounge where they drive you across the tarmac to the plane instead of you having to walk to the gate and line up to get your boarding pass scanned.

it sounds like more effort than precheck + walking to the lounge and then to the plane. also everyone will think you're a jackass

Junkiebev
Jan 18, 2002

Feel the progress.

eXXon posted:

Everything is worthless but you still can't afford it.

such terrible food and so little of it

pink noise
Jun 24, 2022

triple sulk posted:

this honestly makes no sense. if you travel enough that you want a top tier lounge experience, then you can get a platinum card for $695 a year and go to a centurion lounge. there's 40 or so of them but pretty much all the major us cities have one.

i dont think its for frequent travelers, its for people who buy full fare first class for their toddlers

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

triple sulk posted:

This is a situation where seriously wealthy people live in a world so different from us that you aren't even comprehending how different it is. Airport lounges, outside of some of the really outlandish stuff going on in Dubai and a couple other airports that have entire terminals devoted to international first class passengers, are where the slightly wealthy go. Hell, any of us could get in to a bunch of them with the right credit card or by paying like $30-$50 for a day pass. They're nicer than the terminal for sure, but they aren't where a 0.1%er type person is gonna hang out. There's been one of these at LAX for a while so there are some travel bloggers that have done trip reports of visiting it. Basically you get picked up by a limo, when you pull up it's more like checking in to a hotel, a valet takes your bags, someone gets your info and takes care of checking you in and your seats and all that while you chill in a completely private suite with full restaurant and bar service. Then a couple minutes before the boarding door closes for your flight you go through a private TSA line (that only has you in it) and a car drives you directly to your plane and you board from the stairs last the second before the door is shut. You never at any point are actually in the airport.

The market for it is really famous people and insanely rich people who are flying inter-continental flights because most private jets can't cross oceans and the ones that can are absurdly expensive unless you've got billionare type money. Even the royal family flies on British Airways when they go to Australia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxR1WHOTJgU

Thoguh has issued a correction as of 22:19 on Aug 6, 2023

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Thoguh posted:

This is a situation where seriously wealthy people live in a world so different from us that you aren't even comprehending how different it is. Airport lounges, outside of some of the really outlandish stuff going on in Dubai and a couple other airports that have entire terminals devoted to international first class passengers, are where the slightly wealthy go. Hell, any of us could get in to a bunch of them with the right credit card or by paying like $30-$50 for a day pass. They're nicer than the terminal for sure, but they aren't where a 0.1%er type person is gonna hang out. There's been one of these at LAX for a while so there are some travel bloggers that have done trip reports of visiting it. Basically you get picked up by a limo, when you pull up it's more like checking in to a hotel, a valet takes your bags, someone gets your info and takes care of checking you in and your seats and all that while you chill in a completely private suite with full restaurant and bar service. Then a couple minutes before the boarding door closes for your flight you go through a private TSA line (that only has you in it) and a car drives you directly to your plane and you board from the stairs last the second before the door is shut. You never at any point are actually in the airport.

The market for it is really famous people and insanely rich people who are flying inter-continental flights because most private jets can't cross oceans and the ones that can are absurdly expensive unless you've got billionare type money. Even the royal family flies on British Airways when they go to Australia.

kinda surprised the royal family doesn't have a 737 parked up somewhere

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

corona familiar posted:

would it have the range to get to Australia?

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Thoguh posted:

so it's a slightly better centurion lounge and you still have to sit on the plane with plebs, you're basically just paying for the car part

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

i get if you're in 8+ figure wealth that it doesn't matter and you can throw away the cash, it's just funny that they're still taking regular commercial flights

Apr 7, 2003

corona familiar posted:

They're the British royal family, I'm surprised the country still has a flag airline at this point.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

triple sulk posted:

so it's a slightly better centurion lounge and you still have to sit on the plane with plebs, you're basically just paying for the car part

At this point I'm not sure if you have a super misguided belief on how hard it is to get in to an airport lounge and/or what precheck actually gets you, or if you really can look at something like that and think it's just a slightly better version of that.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Poppers posted:

I love soy and wheat. But especially soy.

neo being dragged out of the water into a ship full of soyboys and being given a tin full of soymilk "what is this?" its got everything the body needs

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

They're the British royal family, I'm surprised the country still has a flag airline at this point.

Privatized and part of Star Alliance, isn’t it?

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
all who fly in the sky should be punished imo.

Tsitsikovas
Aug 2, 2023

triple sulk posted:

it sounds like more effort than precheck + walking to the lounge and then to the plane. also everyone will think you're a jackass

its the grey goose all over again - I want to be more premium than the other guy. They dont care if we think theyre jackasses. In fact they relish it.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Homeless Friend posted:

all who fly in the sky should be punished imo.

but who can do it? the gods are gone

Apr 7, 2003

Frosted Flake posted:

Privatized and part of Star Alliance, isn’t it?

not sure about who owns British Airways now, but the sausage-finger king demanded his own hugely expensive party while the plebes were told "there will be sufficient food"

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

that sounds like something that would be very easy for an executive to get their company to pay for if their company can't afford a private jet.

"i need the private space to have confidential video calls while im waiting"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Sure would be nice if anyone anywhere cared at all to do something about medicaid's clawbacks.

quote:

'I'm going to be homeless': Ohio Medicaid collects $87.5M from families after loved ones' death

Jul. 29—Rebecca Miller said her father was on Medicaid for about two years and she served as his caretaker at his home after he was diagnosed in 2018 with Parkinson's disease, from which he died last August.

About 30 days later while still mourning David Miller's passing, the 36-year-old said she received a letter from the Ohio Attorney General's Office stating her father owed $56,000 to Medicaid Estate Recovery.

The Medicaid collection program was foreign to the Clinton County woman, as it is to the vast majority of people, attorneys said.

The state notice was a jolt, informing Miller that her father's house — for which she said the mortgage has been paid in full and is "the only real home that I've ever known" — was at risk, potentially leaving her homeless.

The AG's letter stated "that they were going to take the place because of a $56,000 lien from Medicaid," she said. "I've even called Medicaid myself to find out why — what kind of services are you saying (he owes) $56,000 for?"

Stories like Miller's are "the classic Medicaid estate recovery" experience in the federally mandated program, one elder care and Medicaid planning south suburban Dayton attorney told the Dayton Daily News.

Ohio's AG's office — which collects the funds for the Ohio Department of Medicaid — has recovered more than $270 million since 2019, a year in which more than $730 million was collected nationwide, records show.

Washington Twp. attorney Ted Gudorf said he has a client who has been in a Kettering elderly care facility since last October.

"She's run up a bill of $75,000. Her house is in Kettering. Her son is living in the house," Gudorf said. "The facility has not applied for Medicaid yet ... She's going to go on Medicaid and when she dies, the state of Ohio will come back in and will seize that house, sell it ... That happens on a regular basis."

"No homes are seized," Ohio AG press secretary Steve Irwin told this news organization. "Funds are recovered out of the sale of homes, but we do not take possession of a property."

About estate recovery

Medicaid provides health coverage to millions of Americans, including eligible low-income adults, children, pregnant women, elderly adults and people with disabilities.

Estate recovery, which started in 1995, seeks to obtain repayment of the cost of benefits once a Medicaid recipient dies, according to the Ohio Department of Medicaid. Action is taken involving those who were either permanently institutionalized or 55 years or older, records show.

Among the instances when recovery occurs are after the death of the Medicaid recipient's surviving spouse and when that the deceased recipient has no surviving children younger than 21, documents show.

"The AGO will send a notice of claim to the estate's executor requesting payment for the cost of Medicaid benefits," according to the state's guidelines.

David Miller had retired and was receiving a modest monthly pension when he was approved for Medicaid benefits, his daughter said.

Rebecca Miller said she cared for her father at his home, he didn't have a nurse and was never in a nursing home, so she was surprised at the attorney general's letter seeking $56,000.

"A lot of people think they're only going to take your place only if you're in a nursing home or if you had full-time care," Miller said "No. They're going to take it just because you have Medicaid. Period."

The Ohio Department of Medicaid "has made several changes to ensure Ohioans covered by Medicaid are notified of estate recovery," according to its deputy director, Lisa Lawless.

The department has inserted a Medicaid Estate Recovery form in "all approval and change notices and updated the Ohio benefits self-service portal with additional information on the program," she added.

But Gudorf said there is "very minimal" public knowledge about the collection program. Similar comments were made by the managing attorney for Pro Seniors Inc., a Cincinnati-based organization educating southwest Ohio older adults and their caregivers about the wide variety of legal and long-term care issues.

"It's not until you apply for Medicaid that you receive any kind of notice," Pro Seniors' Miriam Sheline said. "And it's usually included in a bunch of other notices. Although it's there, that's the first time anybody actually looks at it."

Pro Seniors is advocating judicial changes in the program, she said.

"We've been challenging the way the estate recovery has been written. It's been interpreted that just effectively upon death — even if property is transferred to a third party — that somehow (the state's) claim can be converted to an automatic lien," Sheline said.

"That's not what the statute says. And there's no due process or provisions for a third party to challenge it," she added. "There's certain exceptions to estate recovery lien — or even estate recovery in general — (but) there's no mechanism for a third party to raise those issues until after there's already a lien on their home."

This news organization requested records on how many properties were impacted by the Medicaid estate recovery program statewide with breakdowns of southwest Ohio counties from 2017-2022. The Ohio AG's office, however, could not provide them "due to the ongoing system upgrades," Irwin said.

National, state numbers

In 2019, states nationwide reported collecting about $733.4 million from beneficiary estates. States return part of the money to the federal government based on their federal medical assistance percentage, according to a 2021 report from the Medicaid and CHIP Payment and Access Commission (MACPAC), an agency that advises Congress.

The amount each state collects annually varies widely. Hawaii's Medicaid estate recovery program collected $31,000 in 2019 while Iowa recovered more than $26 million, according to the federal report.

"The five states with the largest estate collections — Massachusetts, New York, Pennsylvania, Ohio and Wisconsin — account for 38.5% of all recoveries in FY 2019," the report stated.

Last year, more than $87.5 million was collected by Ohio, state records show. That total was "a peak" annual amount, Irwin said.

The Ohio AG's office mainly uses outside counsel for collections in various regions for several reasons, Irwin said. Local attorneys have more direct knowledge of the courts in their region, and are familiar with estate filings and property records, he added.

Ohio's Medicaid program and other creditors are paid before any assets are distributed to heirs or other beneficiaries, according to the Ohio Association of Area Agencies on Aging. If there is an undue hardship to a survivor, the right to immediate recovery may be delayed or waived. Undue hardship is determined on a case-by-case basis.

Miller said she became aware of the hardship exemption after the deadline to apply had passed following her father's death. In the year since her father died, she has done everything she knows of to keep from losing the house, but isn't hopeful it'll work.

"I feel like now, I'm going to be homeless because of all of this. My dad didn't know that," she added.

Avoiding a 'nightmare'

The 2021 MACPAC report urged Congress to bar states from collecting from families with meager assets, and to let states opt out of the effort altogether.

"The program mainly recovers from estates of modest size, suggesting that individuals with greater means find ways to circumvent estate recovery and raising concerns about equity," the report states.

States can limit their collection practices. Massachusetts implemented changes in 2021 to exempt estates of $25,000 or less, according to a report from National Public Radio.

Sheline said Pro Seniors has not sought that type of change. Some states have sought other reforms.

Gudorf said he specializes in long-term care Medicaid, which has an asset test and an income test to determine eligibility.

Attorneys specializing in elder care and Medicaid planning can steer clients in directions in which they can protect about half — if not all — of their assets from the recovery program. Another option is to buy long-term care insurance to avoid relying on Medicaid, Gudorf said.

Miller said she was not aware of these options.

"I don't know whether I'm going to be able to keep the place," she said, noting about her father, "he worked his whole life and bought this place."

Miller said wants to help others not experience what she has been through.

"I just feel like if I can help avoid this from happening to anybody else, I really would appreciate that because this is just a nightmare," she said. "That's not something that you want to happen right when you lose your parent and all of sudden you're fighting to keep your home. It's horrible, right after you lose a loved one."