Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015

Peewi posted:

My Mad Catz Street Fighter IV TE stick seems to sometimes take longer to register neutral input when letting go of the stick. Is this a common issue with older sticks? Is there anything I could try doing to fix it besides replacing the spring and/or switches?

I've also had another issue where the stick completely stopped responding (but the buttons still worked) until I unplugged it and plugged it back in, so maybe it's just time to replace it completely.

Is the stick set to d-pad inputs? I've noticed that on my TE if it's on left stick it can sometimes be a bit less responsive than if it's on d-pad inputs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
If anyone here is in Sydney someone is giving away a (pretty messed up, found in a shed, but looks ok in the inside) Street Fighter Anniversary edition arcade stick.

https://www.aussiearcade.com/topic/101898-ps2xbox-street-fighter-anniversary-edition-controller/

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Hyper Inferno posted:

Is the stick set to d-pad inputs? I've noticed that on my TE if it's on left stick it can sometimes be a bit less responsive than if it's on d-pad inputs.

Yes, it's set to d-pad. Although I can't say I've ever noticed a difference between the d-pad and left stick settings in games.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

So I went ahead and picked up my first arcade stick. Went for the 8Bitdo.

It’s fun! But I did underestimate the learning curve of using one. Don’t get me wrong, I expected the need to practice, but it almost feels like I’m having to re-learn Street Fighter from the ground up again in terms of playing it on a stick. The good news is I’m a bad player, so learning and improving with both the game and the stick go hand in hand. I do actually appreciate the journey ahead and just like the games themselves, noticing the slow, incremental improvements is super rewarding.

Before buying the stick I did test out playing on a keyboard, and I was surprised by how much I enjoyed that. I definitely found it easier than using the fight stick, which makes me wonder if leverless might be better for me long term. For now though, I’m going to invest into learning this stick.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Bumhead posted:

So I went ahead and picked up my first arcade stick. Went for the 8Bitdo.

It’s fun! But I did underestimate the learning curve of using one. Don’t get me wrong, I expected the need to practice, but it almost feels like I’m having to re-learn Street Fighter from the ground up again in terms of playing it on a stick. The good news is I’m a bad player, so learning and improving with both the game and the stick go hand in hand. I do actually appreciate the journey ahead and just like the games themselves, noticing the slow, incremental improvements is super rewarding.

Before buying the stick I did test out playing on a keyboard, and I was surprised by how much I enjoyed that. I definitely found it easier than using the fight stick, which makes me wonder if leverless might be better for me long term. For now though, I’m going to invest into learning this stick.

I mean, if you're just starting with stick and you think Hitbox might be what you want, might be worth it just to grab it now rather than spending the time learning stick

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
yeah, coming from someone who's played on stick for 15 years, going leverless is like learning all over again. even using 24mm action buttons are taking some getting used to.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I learned to play on gamepad, and when I switched from that to leverless, it took me a good 40-50 matches, plus time in the lab, before I felt like I had my muscle memory back. Also several days; rest is important for helping the muscle memory to settle into your brain.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Weird Pumpkin posted:

I really, really like the Qanba gravity buttons if you ever decide to swap buttons. They can take art in them, and they feel super good to push. They come silenced but it's really easy to remove the silence ring if you want them to be more clacky

Can get them both as screw in or push in as well

I took a look at their site, is this what you're referring to? They have a couple listings and I wasn't sure what the difference is.

I clickiness of everything just adds to the novelty of using the stick at all, so if I were to get new buttons I would want them to still make noise. The clickier the better, I say.

Here's a maybe odd question, my stick (Mayflash 500) has a button for the PS3 Touchpad that doesn't seem to actually do anything. Maybe it functions as it says on an actual PS3, but god knows where that is, but when using it on my computer, it doesn't seem to register as a button at all. Is there a way to repurpose this button's function, or is it just stuck this way?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Momomo posted:

I took a look at their site, is this what you're referring to? They have a couple listings and I wasn't sure what the difference is.

I clickiness of everything just adds to the novelty of using the stick at all, so if I were to get new buttons I would want them to still make noise. The clickier the better, I say.

Here's a maybe odd question, my stick (Mayflash 500) has a button for the PS3 Touchpad that doesn't seem to actually do anything. Maybe it functions as it says on an actual PS3, but god knows where that is, but when using it on my computer, it doesn't seem to register as a button at all. Is there a way to repurpose this button's function, or is it just stuck this way?

Try Ds4windows

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
i think you can turn on ps controllers in steam and it should pick up the tp

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Romes128 posted:

i think you can turn on ps controllers in steam and it should pick up the tp

once you connect via bluetooth in windows steam picks it up

wigglin
Dec 19, 2007

Does using an oversized actuator make hitting diagonals feel different? I'm new to stick and didn't like how my stock Qanba lever felt sloppy so I replaced it with a JLF and put in a kowal oversized actuator while I was at it. I like the shorter engage distance, especially for how much dashing happens in sf6, but I noticed I've been missing diagonals a lot and can't tell if that's just because I'm bad or if I tinkered without understanding some tradeoffs.

e: oh I'm using the jlf square gate if that matters. and sorry for bumping with such a dull question but I couldn't find any good info other than what kowal themselves puts in the description on focusattack

wigglin fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jul 21, 2023

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
i've seen some complaints about the oversized actuator online. you have another option if you like a shorter throw (and a little stiffer spring), get a seimitsu ls-32.

eggrolled
Mar 6, 2006

So I have a review/build to post and a question.

A little background -- I just started playing fighting games with the release of Street Fighter 6. I was having some problems with rsi potential/soreness/fatigue using gamepad or keyboard (hooray for being in your 30s), so I got my hands on a leverless controller. I liked it so much and had no pain using it that I immediately began researching building my own.

Ultimately I went with an Eternal Rival Stickless Mini enclosure, Sanwa buttons, and a Brook Zero Pi board.

Y'all, the Eternal Rival build quality for the price seems unmatched. The plexi enclosure was laser cut perfectly, tolerances were tight, and it is easy to assemble and take apart if need be. I don't notice any give or shifting of the plexi panels, and my buttons are snug and don't spin or anything. I think it would be hard pressed to do better than $50 for a customized enclosure.

I absolutely love how my first leverless build turns out and I'm already wanting to build another one. Lol.

Here's what it looks like:

Now for my question. Has anyone successfully gotten a Brook fightboard to work with the Steam deck? I've been messing with it; the deck recognizes the zero pi fighting board but only when it's in Nintendo Switch mode, not PC/x-input. I tried to rebind the keys in the deck settings but that just caused the controller to stop recognizing all inputs. I've updated the firmware to the latest tournament edition too.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

eggrolled posted:

So I have a review/build to post and a question.

A little background -- I just started playing fighting games with the release of Street Fighter 6. I was having some problems with rsi potential/soreness/fatigue using gamepad or keyboard (hooray for being in your 30s), so I got my hands on a leverless controller. I liked it so much and had no pain using it that I immediately began researching building my own.

Ultimately I went with an Eternal Rival Stickless Mini enclosure, Sanwa buttons, and a Brook Zero Pi board.

Y'all, the Eternal Rival build quality for the price seems unmatched. The plexi enclosure was laser cut perfectly, tolerances were tight, and it is easy to assemble and take apart if need be. I don't notice any give or shifting of the plexi panels, and my buttons are snug and don't spin or anything. I think it would be hard pressed to do better than $50 for a customized enclosure.

I absolutely love how my first leverless build turns out and I'm already wanting to build another one. Lol.

Here's what it looks like:

Now for my question. Has anyone successfully gotten a Brook fightboard to work with the Steam deck? I've been messing with it; the deck recognizes the zero pi fighting board but only when it's in Nintendo Switch mode, not PC/x-input. I tried to rebind the keys in the deck settings but that just caused the controller to stop recognizing all inputs. I've updated the firmware to the latest tournament edition too.

I googled this when i got the deck cause all my sticks have brook boards. hold r1 and connect, if you're using the universal board it should pick it up as an xbox controller. no clue on the ps3/4 boards.

eggrolled
Mar 6, 2006

Romes128 posted:

I googled this when i got the deck cause all my sticks have brook boards. hold r1 and connect, if you're using the universal board it should pick it up as an xbox controller. no clue on the ps3/4 boards.

Unfortunately R1 and connect didn't fix the issue. It acts as a switch controller but the binds are all jacked up and can't be switched.
I did a little more digging and I think it might be the Zero Pi specifically that has issues -- https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamDeckTricks/comments/13xllts/brooks_zero_pi_trouble_shooting/

:negative:

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
I don't know if this would work, but there's open source firmware for the pi zero called GP2040 that is rad as gently caress. If the brooks thing has a way to reset the pi zero, you can just transfer the file, reboot and see what happens. you can remap everything in firmware with a web interface, it's pretty slick. I've had zero issues with it connecting to basically anything, including a steam deck.

It does depend if the brooks is just running button inputs straight to gpio pins on the pi or if they're doing something funky in between though.

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jul 21, 2023

eggrolled
Mar 6, 2006

Appreciate the tips and options yall. I managed to get Steam deck compatibility by changing out the Zero Pi board to a Brook UFB, it worked with no issues.

I learned to don't try to save money by getting a Brook Zero Pi unless you're only going to use the controller for PC/PS3/Switch

Clearly I need to build a pc only controller with this newly spare board!!

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
glad it worked out!

honestly i would recommend just getting a pi pico and a terminal block instead of that brook thing, it'll be cheaper and gp2040 is extremely good.

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Aug 2, 2023

Saman
Oct 23, 2008

Next, you'll say...
"What a good post!"

So, I'm starting out with leverless controllers and have been using the snackbox micro to get used to everything, and I feel pretty good about my play with it but I have big hands that need more like...physical width to rest my wrist on (probably not a good idea, but it's my natural resting position with it so far)? I've been looking at other acrylic stick makers but the few things that give me the kind of shape i'm looking for (the mpress from paradise comes to mind first) are either out of stock or similarly tiny, and a big attraction to the micro for me was not having an extremely unwieldy to transport stick. I'm thinking about the BNB gen2 that FocusAttack offers, do we have anyone in the thread that's got one that likes it or has thoughts about it? The short sides giving it a 2 inch height is pretty attractive as far as having something relatively compact without being micro-size small.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Saman posted:

So, I'm starting out with leverless controllers and have been using the snackbox micro to get used to everything, and I feel pretty good about my play with it but I have big hands that need more like...physical width to rest my wrist on (probably not a good idea, but it's my natural resting position with it so far)? I've been looking at other acrylic stick makers but the few things that give me the kind of shape i'm looking for (the mpress from paradise comes to mind first) are either out of stock or similarly tiny, and a big attraction to the micro for me was not having an extremely unwieldy to transport stick. I'm thinking about the BNB gen2 that FocusAttack offers, do we have anyone in the thread that's got one that likes it or has thoughts about it? The short sides giving it a 2 inch height is pretty attractive as far as having something relatively compact without being micro-size small.

i have one. I like it, I've been using it to learn stickless. They're pretty solid. I have the 1.75" height option for the sides, which makes it in total about 2.5"

Regular snap in button's don't click all the way in because the top layer is too thick, you need screw on buttons. It's kind of a pain to deal with if you have to open it cause the sides aren't secured in, they pretty much fall out when you take the bottom layers off.

I ordered mine on June 2nd and it shipped on June 20th, so be prepared to wait a couple weeks. Only other thing I can say is you probably want to go with matte finish unless you like fingerprints.

I also have an AllFightSticks steel enclosure (that has my k-lever) and it's as bit too heavy or my tastes. I have an aluminum one (that has my regular joystick in it) and it's much lighter, so that's an option too. But last I saw he said shipping new orders will have like a 2 month wait time.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Saman posted:

I've built my stick using it and it's a great size. Mine has a removable lever, but with the lever off it fits really comfortably in a backpack without being super bulky

I will say that the all-acrylic body does feel a little bit more flimsy. Just a bit of flex here and there

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Saman posted:

So, I'm starting out with leverless controllers and have been using the snackbox micro to get used to everything, and I feel pretty good about my play with it but I have big hands that need more like...physical width to rest my wrist on (probably not a good idea, but it's my natural resting position with it so far)?

Before you decide to build a completely new stick: https://www.reddit.com/r/fightsticks/comments/146xtr6/introducing_the_footsie_v20_give_your_beloved/

Saman
Oct 23, 2008

Next, you'll say...
"What a good post!"

Romes128 posted:

i have one. I like it, I've been using it to learn stickless. They're pretty solid. I have the 1.75" height option for the sides, which makes it in total about 2.5"

Regular snap in button's don't click all the way in because the top layer is too thick, you need screw on buttons. It's kind of a pain to deal with if you have to open it cause the sides aren't secured in, they pretty much fall out when you take the bottom layers off.

I ordered mine on June 2nd and it shipped on June 20th, so be prepared to wait a couple weeks. Only other thing I can say is you probably want to go with matte finish unless you like fingerprints.

I also have an AllFightSticks steel enclosure (that has my k-lever) and it's as bit too heavy or my tastes. I have an aluminum one (that has my regular joystick in it) and it's much lighter, so that's an option too. But last I saw he said shipping new orders will have like a 2 month wait time.

Good to know! I'd thought about an AFS aluminum, that sounds like a pretty decent idea once he starts shipping again.

Weird Pumpkin posted:

I've built my stick using it and it's a great size. Mine has a removable lever, but with the lever off it fits really comfortably in a backpack without being super bulky

I will say that the all-acrylic body does feel a little bit more flimsy. Just a bit of flex here and there

Def good to know. I really like the look of the acrylics and always have since i started playing, so I figured now would be a good time to go for it.

I've only got the XL form-factor unless i buy another case from junkfood and swap it over, so I'd thought about it but may be holding off to see if he makes an xl footsie.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.

https://imgur.com/a/9AAKgA8

https://imgur.com/a/LNQJKCL

dhamster fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Aug 6, 2023

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I hope he didnt fill the button gaps with cheetos and seal over it

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

do it again, but with poop.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Romes128 posted:

do it again, but with poop.

You can get a Pooptroller:

Or a Bloodtroller:

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
A friend of mine is travelling to the states in a couple weeks and I thought I'd take the chance and get some buttons a new lever for my Mayflash F500 (non-elite).

I was thinking about trying out the Qanba Gravity buttons and just get a Sanwa JLF-TP-8YT for the stick.

Are those buttons the ones people recommend when they mention the Gravity buttons? On their page they also have the LX ones, but I'm not sure what's the difference in the buttoms thelseves other than the KS being snap-in and the LX being screw in? The KS are way more expensive, even if they come at about the same price while they're "on sale" (Not sure if they're actually on sale or if it's one of those "permanently at discounted price" type of deal).

Are they that much better than the usual Sanwas? Asking because they're almost twice as expensive. :v:

Followup question: Seeing as I'd have an "extra" stick and button set, I was thinking I could just build a stick myself with them to set up some emulators/fighting games in my living room for when I have friends over. What would I need to 'complete' a stick? Is the Brook Zero-Pi all I'd need in this case? Which extra buttons would I need? Was thinking Select/Start and... that's pretty much it? If I'm just gonna use it for PC (and guests at that) I reckon I don't need to bother with the DS/LS/RS selector or the turbo or any of those?
Saw this cables too, seems to be everything I'd need to hook the brook up?

Thanks a bunch!

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Edmond Dantes posted:

I was thinking about trying out the Qanba Gravity buttons and just get a Sanwa JLF-TP-8YT for the stick.

Are those buttons the ones people recommend when they mention the Gravity buttons? On their page they also have the LX ones, but I'm not sure what's the difference in the buttoms thelseves other than the KS being snap-in and the LX being screw in? The KS are way more expensive, even if they come at about the same price while they're "on sale" (Not sure if they're actually on sale or if it's one of those "permanently at discounted price" type of deal).

Are they that much better than the usual Sanwas? Asking because they're almost twice as expensive. :v:

So I really like them a lot, but I got them from arcadeshock which is (very slightly) a little cheaper per button. For whatever reason they just feel like, super premium to me. Don't have a lot of wiggle on the button itself, actuate really well, etc

They're definitely pricey though, no question. In my opinion they feel significantly better than the sanwa buttons I used and you can put art in them. The KS ones come pre silenced as well, though you can actually pop them open and remove the silencer if you want them more clacky. I think the LX ones are just screw + no silencer? But I'm not 100% sure on that.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Edmond Dantes posted:

A friend of mine is travelling to the states in a couple weeks and I thought I'd take the chance and get some buttons a new lever for my Mayflash F500 (non-elite).

Followup question: Seeing as I'd have an "extra" stick and button set, I was thinking I could just build a stick myself with them to set up some emulators/fighting games in my living room for when I have friends over. What would I need to 'complete' a stick? Is the Brook Zero-Pi all I'd need in this case? Which extra buttons would I need? Was thinking Select/Start and... that's pretty much it? If I'm just gonna use it for PC (and guests at that) I reckon I don't need to bother with the DS/LS/RS selector or the turbo or any of those?
Saw this cables too, seems to be everything I'd need to hook the brook up?

Thanks a bunch!

i like the qanba gravity buttons. after going from sanwa's for years to seimitsus (which take a little more force to actuate, which i like) the gravity buttons seemed like best of both worlds, plus they're quieter than the other buttons. they're expensive but worth it imo.

most of my sticks just have a start/select/home button. never had a use for the selector or l3, r3, touchpad (tho they are used in some games training modes for recording etc). the brooks wiring harness would have everything you need. i don't know what kind of connection the mayflash stick uses tho, might need to check if that's the same 5 pin connection.

also there's a new model of jlf that just dropped, https://focusattack.com/sanwa-jlx-tp-8yt-joystick/

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Thinking about doing a fightstick with garfield on it.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

you should do a fightstick with garfield on it

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

you should do a fightstick with garfield on it

News story in the future -

"Local man was killed at video game tournament. Eyewitnesses say he won his set, turned to his opponent and was reported to have said 'Mondays, huh?''. His opponent beat him to an inch of his life in a fit of rage.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

The entire fight stick base could be a tray of lasagna.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

now i wanna make a U.S. Acres themed stick

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Thanks for the buttons/parts talk, my purchase options are a bit limited so I'll probably have to see if the new sanwa stick makes it to amazon before my friend travels over.

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Consider using this picture I took in Prague earlier this year for it.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Anyone have any opinions on this? I've got a 4 player arcade cabinet with basic USB encoders and while they work for most everything, the fact that they aren't Xinput causes problems with a lot of Steam games. I've had middling success with some of the various programs like x360ce and vJoy but it's overly complicated.

I saw this on Reddit and it looks like exactly what I need, but it's an unknown manufacturer (the guy who posted about it is the creator)

https://pactotech.com/en-us/products/copy-of-pacto-tech-4000t-4-player-control-interface-for-arcade-cabinets-supports-xinput-protocol

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

i had the same issues with my 2p arcade

i swapped out my two ps360+ boards with one of these

https://www.ultimarc.com/control-interfaces/i-pacs/i-pac2/

you'd want the ipac4

https://www.ultimarc.com/control-interfaces/i-pacs/i-pac4-board/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

i had the same issues with my 2p arcade

i swapped out my two ps360+ boards with one of these

https://www.ultimarc.com/control-interfaces/i-pacs/i-pac2/

you'd want the ipac4

https://www.ultimarc.com/control-interfaces/i-pacs/i-pac4-board/

I was looking into IPAC4 but there was some limitations that I can't remember for the life of me. What you have works well? Windows sees them as Xinput?