Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

net work error posted:

China is all in on RISC V so I assume that's the future. I also don't know anything about CPU 's.

China's developing RISC V because Intel/AMD have a stranglehold on x86

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

Europe is as well

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

gradenko_2000 posted:

Also ARM, IIRC risc-v is similar to the old MIPS architecture but not really. It's something they can develop on their own to ARM levels without owing anyone anything legally.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

gradenko_2000 posted:

the west sees China as a developing RISC to their hegemony

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

net work error posted:

Europe is as well

I mean yeah those Intel fabs in Israel and Germany and going to undergo controlled demolition if the colonies get too uppity

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

does fusion even have a design to get that heat to power a turbine or is everyone like lets get a sustained reaction first and get on that later?

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
the latter

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

LaserPrinter69 posted:

For how long though...

If it generated for minutes it could power a subdivision. If it generated power for microseconds, it might be enough to illuminate a small LED for as long as it takes a person to blink

The NIF reactor will never be commercialized, they shoot a little gold pellet that needs to be absolutely perfectly fabricated to work and they'd need to do it at 60 hz for grid power, which you could imagine would never scale. They still get good science out of it though, which is it's intended purpose. ITER is more like a "powerplant" but once again it's far too expensive and complex to be commercialized.

The things to pay attention to are Helion's Polaris reactor and Commonwealth Fusion System's SPARC, both of which should come online sometime in 2024 or 2025.

Objective Action
Jun 10, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

does fusion even have a design to get that heat to power a turbine or is everyone like lets get a sustained reaction first and get on that later?

We got the first ignition just this last December, after like fifty years of dinking around. Don't get me wrong that is a massive step forward but there are still many challenges. Plenty of theory crafting has happened over those decades on what a functioning reactor might look like but nothing has, of course, ever been built because we needed to know the drat reaction even worked in the real world before anyone would fund it.

The other problem right now is the targets are insanely precision manufacturing of tiny < 1cm capsules that have incredibly tight tolerances. To my knowledge literally only one lab on earth has the tooling for that right now. It of course can be built out but that takes time. Another problem is the lasers used are from the last round of major funding the fusions projects got in the 1980s so the building they span is the size of a football field. In theory that laser package could be shrunk down to fit on a tractor trailer using our current understanding of modern laser technology but, again, only a handful of places on earth are set up to even try that.

Ultimately we got the hard part done getting the ignition but I have serious doubts reactors will be stood up and outperforming plain old nuclear reactors before climate change kind of makes the whole thing moot because most of us are dead.

Still neat science though. For whatever that's worth.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Justin Tyme posted:

Love our byzantine rear end healthcare laws, can't just have health insurance, you gotta read through several 165 page document to get an idea of what insurance covers to "pick" your plan then get charged thousands of dollars anyway.

"How much healthcare will you need in the future?" Bitch I dunno hopefully none!

America is all about hitting you with little gotchas in between the big ones. But see you agreed to it when we flopped a 165 document down that’s subject to change at any time for a service you legally have to purchase. You agreed

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Objective Action posted:

We got the first ignition just this last December, after like fifty years of dinking around. Don't get me wrong that is a massive step forward but there are still many challenges. Plenty of theory crafting has happened over those decades on what a functioning reactor might look like but nothing has, of course, ever been built because we needed to know the drat reaction even worked in the real world before anyone would fund it.

The other problem right now is the targets are insanely precision manufacturing of tiny < 1cm capsules that have incredibly tight tolerances. To my knowledge literally only one lab on earth has the tooling for that right now. It of course can be built out but that takes time. Another problem is the lasers used are from the last round of major funding the fusions projects got in the 1980s so the building they span is the size of a football field. In theory that laser package could be shrunk down to fit on a tractor trailer using our current understanding of modern laser technology but, again, only a handful of places on earth are set up to even try that.

Ultimately we got the hard part done getting the ignition but I have serious doubts reactors will be stood up and outperforming plain old nuclear reactors before climate change kind of makes the whole thing moot because most of us are dead.

Still neat science though. For whatever that's worth.

I'm on the "we will have production fusion plants in our lifetime" train after having followed the aforementioned companies for a bit but I'm betting the LCOE will never be below wind/solar and therefore power companies won't build them unless they're heavily subsidized, just like how nuclear is now

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

basically nothing gets built unless it’s heavily subsidized but you can bet your bottom dollar everyone with purse power is getting their skids greased by Exxon Mobil to downplay this development if it’s legit

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

lol women are so bad at money

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

lol women are so bad at money

lmfao

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
lol italian manufacturing

FIX IT AGAIN TONY

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/FirstSquawk/status/1688378098209931264
https://twitter.com/FirstSquawk/status/1688378320474271745

🤣🤣😂😂

Tsitsikovas
Aug 2, 2023

Lol shes already employeed and probably already paid for travel housing and the expo passes. Take your sunk costs and shove em up your heiney lady. Ffs you work in edinburgh and are flying into LA. Just have a warm weather vacation.

3000 british dollars, get hosed.

Aug 7, 2023
you wonder how the economy is doing these days

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
since when did merely going to the same place as a strike become "scabbing", none of these academics are threatening to take strike breaking jobs at the hotels on strike lol

Tsitsikovas
Aug 2, 2023

APSA's press release posted:

The meeting is also important to continue the collaboration and networking in our discipline, the celebration of the excellent work produced within our community, and for receiving crucial feedback on research. Cancellation would have a negative impact on labor at the convention center and hotels involved in the labor negotiations. Additionally, it would harm labor forces in the surrounding community that support groups like ours, such as restaurants, transportation, tourism.

lmao its loving downtown los angeles I am positive everyone will stay nice and busy. This is just great overall. But what do you expect from a poli sci Institution.

Still cant get over this twitter person trying to play the privilege card vis-a-vis the act of solidarity. Breathless.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

RealityWarCriminal posted:

probably HDPE. teflon wears too easily

Nah, they still use PTFE for pasta extrusion dies. Teflon wears easily when its spray deposited on cookware but these would be machined from sheet stock or something.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Shipon posted:

since when did merely going to the same place as a strike become "scabbing", none of these academics are threatening to take strike breaking jobs at the hotels on strike lol

:mods:

wtf, crossing a picket line makes you a scab, Scabby

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

"idc if my bed isn't made, I wasn't planning on leaving a tip anyway"--shipon, scabbishly

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

laff at boomers all u want but we knew how to kick scabby asses

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

the unite-here strike is finally getting some well-deserved attention & this jerk says to scab bc of not being able to relate to the migrant women cleaning poo poo off the hotel toilets. :fuckoff:

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Forbes/status/1688387753774374912?s=20

Tsitsikovas
Aug 2, 2023
ASPA's entire press release is pretty vapid until you read their history and realize they are as institutional as they come. But all their stated issues can easily be addressed, and I am sure they have plenty of endowments that could cover any sunk costs. Whatever.

But moreso we did just witness UC grad students end a historic strike last year so locally this is the perfect cross-industrial act of solidarity that could happen. I'm glad a lot of individual profs are cancelling. also Shout out to CWA 1104 GSEU just because.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

has obama or any other important lib even mentioned the unite here hotel strike?

Tsitsikovas
Aug 2, 2023
I think Obama's chef tried to bring it up once.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Isn't this how Epstein got startes

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Koirhor posted:

lol italian manufacturing

FIX IT AGAIN TONY

i've had a fiat for a decade and the only problem was self-inflicted

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Shipon posted:

it's basic solidarity not to cross a picket line, unless you're doing so to gently caress up the place being picketed

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

but what if there are treats and or career opportunities for an underprivileged person such as myself on the other side of the line, hmmmm? you wouldn’t want to be a problematic, would you?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Shipon posted:

while yes, the academic is not going there to do the job; however, management/supes/other illegal temp migrants and other scabs are fulfilling the streaking-jobs, so by virtue of crossing the picket line to provide money to the entity that is being picketed is anti-solidarity. it's pretty much established nomenclature that anti-solidarity picket crossing is basically being a rat.

another example to appeal to your goon sensibilities: say mcdonalds workers are striking a local because all their wages are stolen and they took away their healthcare. you. a goon, crosses the picket to go inside and order a big mac and mcflurry because you can't live without treats. no, you are not personally taking the job, but that's still being a ratty gently caress because you are supporting strike breaking efforts to undermine labor. aka scabbing

it basically just means "backing/supporting the entity being picketed" which is good enough definition

Xaris has issued a correction as of 05:27 on Aug 7, 2023

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

biceps crimes posted:

but what if there are treats and or career opportunities for an underprivileged person such as myself on the other side of the line, hmmmm? you wouldn’t want to be a problematic, would you?

existence is problematic

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
choose to not exist.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

SKULL.GIF posted:

this country has a deep streak of loving psychosis. it's everywhere. underlies everything. constant loving obsession with car/truk. constant loving obsession with gun. constant loving obsession with the absolute worst things modern society has to offer. persistent guzzling of slop, a firehose of slop down everyone's gaping gullets and they holler and scream and throw loving riots if the pressure goes down even slightly for even a moment.
that's because America was originally founded directly as a "Get Rich Quick!" scam built ontop the worst horrific genocides ever conducted in all of human history, no one has done as much evil against humanity as the american scam has. and it's been one genocide and get rich quick scheme after another and another for 300+ years. the amount of genocided blood and bones that lie beneath the foundation of the nation is a subtle corruption of national identity. when your own nation is a fake get-rich-scam built ontop of hundred of millions of murdered people, inherently there is no social cohesion and pride. furthermore as alienation and incoherence is good for capitalism, capitalism exploits this to further divide and isolate individuals into consumers to fill the alienated voids within their soul with treats and replaces identity-as-consumption

there's no community, no love thy neighbor, there's nothing but treats and that ain't a way that supports humanity

america is therefore a nation of individuals only cohering-in-kind over mutual and simultaneous freudian Death Drive -- fueled by the shared inhumane crimes and alienation that no one matters but the self. the hegemonic western empire is coming to a close as the planet burns down and every one knows it (even if it's not an conscience recognition it's one everyone is feeling) therefore you might as well consume and party like its dec 31 1999. and hell, why not

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
Idk how people are affording food. Staples like rice and produce are alright, but deviating to anything else is quite a bit. $5+ for a small bag of chips or cereal (shrinkflation).

I started cutting back on non-essentials and only shopping at Costco or Winco. Safeway is the biggest scam on the West coast. 2 security guys at the front door to make sure nobody takes poo poo too.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

america is loving crushing it lol, ngl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

err posted:

Safeway is the biggest scam on the West coast. 2 security guys at the front door to make sure nobody takes poo poo too.

oh yeah safeway is more expensive than Whole Foods these days. it was always a rip-off but at least was decent enough with sales but sales are bad and base prices are up like 100%. i flat out refuse to go there even if it's convenient

that said plenty of people still just push a cart of stuff or walk out all the time with bags of stuff. its easy to steal. the security is mostly to appease the landed gentry customers than anything else.