Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

err posted:

Idk how people are affording food. Staples like rice and produce are alright, but deviating to anything else is quite a bit. $5+ for a small bag of chips or cereal (shrinkflation).

I started cutting back on non-essentials and only shopping at Costco or Winco. Safeway is the biggest scam on the West coast. 2 security guys at the front door to make sure nobody takes poo poo too.

If you're an old like me & have the time, you good to different places for value & plan ahead. I usually only hit up 2 in a given week & some of them are good for once a month.

Aldi's = cafe bustelo, chicken, gr. beef, cheese, canned goods

Jewel = salmon, paper goods

A local grocery = fresh fruit, fresh veggies

Mideast grocery = spices, olives, baked goods, prepared foods

Trader Joe's = frozen indian, frozen lasagna, frozen veggies, pet treats, shower stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Willa Rogers posted:

:mods:

wtf, crossing a picket line makes you a scab, Scabby

go off

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

please do not seek accommodation or services from struck businesses is los angeles thank you

Antonymous has issued a correction as of 06:02 on Aug 7, 2023

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Xaris posted:

that's because America was originally founded directly as a "Get Rich Quick!" scam built ontop the worst horrific genocides ever conducted in all of human history, no one has done as much evil against humanity as the american scam has. and it's been one genocide and get rich quick scheme after another and another for 300+ years. the amount of genocided blood and bones that lie beneath the foundation of the nation is a subtle corruption of national identity. when your own nation is a fake get-rich-scam built ontop of hundred of millions of murdered people, inherently there is no social cohesion and pride. furthermore as alienation and incoherence is good for capitalism, capitalism exploits this to further divide and isolate individuals into consumers to fill the alienated voids within their soul with treats and replaces identity-as-consumption

there's no community, no love thy neighbor, there's nothing but treats and that ain't a way that supports humanity

america is therefore a nation of individuals only cohering-in-kind over mutual and simultaneous freudian Death Drive -- fueled by the shared inhumane crimes and alienation that no one matters but the self. the hegemonic western empire is coming to a close as the planet burns down and every one knows it (even if it's not an conscience recognition it's one everyone is feeling) therefore you might as well consume and party like its dec 31 1999. and hell, why not

ive noticed a trend with people in conversations lately where they just want to buy random material poo poo to fulfill a spontaneous urge but they confess that it doesnt have any affect on their happiness. its scary that one can be aware all the while acting out involuntarily. like an addiction i guess.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

err posted:

Idk how people are affording food. Staples like rice and produce are alright, but deviating to anything else is quite a bit. $5+ for a small bag of chips or cereal (shrinkflation).

I started cutting back on non-essentials and only shopping at Costco or Winco. Safeway is the biggest scam on the West coast. 2 security guys at the front door to make sure nobody takes poo poo too.

one thing most people don't know is that within any grocery chain, prices of goods vary wildly between locations, and it's almost entirely a function of how wealthy the neighborhood is

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

RadiRoot posted:

ive noticed a trend with people in conversations lately where they just want to buy random material poo poo to fulfill a spontaneous urge but they confess that it doesnt have any affect on their happiness. its scary that one can be aware all the while acting out involuntarily. like an addiction i guess.

People are isolated and lonely, at least from the friends i know. I do it with books I will never make time to read. Also probably the creeping realization things have shifted and not getting better.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Xaris posted:

oh yeah safeway is more expensive than Whole Foods these days. it was always a rip-off but at least was decent enough with sales but sales are bad and base prices are up like 100%. i flat out refuse to go there even if it's convenient

that said plenty of people still just push a cart of stuff or walk out all the time with bags of stuff. its easy to steal. the security is mostly to appease the landed gentry customers than anything else.

And their milk goes bad real fast, at least the milk at the one I stopped buying from did.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

err posted:

People are isolated and lonely, at least from the friends i know. I do it with books I will never make time to read. Also probably the creeping realization things have shifted and not getting better.

Yeah if I didn't have my spouse I would be 100% insane. I've been working on being more outgoing with other people though. Learning what other people think is good.

RadiRoot has issued a correction as of 06:27 on Aug 7, 2023

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Thoguh posted:

This is a situation where seriously wealthy people live in a world so different from us that you aren't even comprehending how different it is. Airport lounges, outside of some of the really outlandish stuff going on in Dubai and a couple other airports that have entire terminals devoted to international first class passengers, are where the slightly wealthy go. Hell, any of us could get in to a bunch of them with the right credit card or by paying like $30-$50 for a day pass. They're nicer than the terminal for sure, but they aren't where a 0.1%er type person is gonna hang out. There's been one of these at LAX for a while so there are some travel bloggers that have done trip reports of visiting it. Basically you get picked up by a limo, when you pull up it's more like checking in to a hotel, a valet takes your bags, someone gets your info and takes care of checking you in and your seats and all that while you chill in a completely private suite with full restaurant and bar service. Then a couple minutes before the boarding door closes for your flight you go through a private TSA line (that only has you in it) and a car drives you directly to your plane and you board from the stairs last the second before the door is shut. You never at any point are actually in the airport.

The market for it is really famous people and insanely rich people who are flying inter-continental flights because most private jets can't cross oceans and the ones that can are absurdly expensive unless you've got billionare type money. Even the royal family flies on British Airways when they go to Australia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxR1WHOTJgU

Lmao thats it? loving boring poo poo

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Shipon posted:

since when did merely going to the same place as a strike become "scabbing", none of these academics are threatening to take strike breaking jobs at the hotels on strike lol

A union on strike may request economic cooperation from supporters by asking them not to do business with their employer (or particular employer sites) while the strike is ongoing. This is a pretty common for hotel employee strikes in particular because it has been an effective way to inflict losses on non-cooperative hotel owners (megacorps usually).

Crossing the line in those particular circumstances is bad. You can say it's not technically "scabbing" but scabbing isn't really a technical term itself, the point is that it undermines the union.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Koirhor posted:

lol italian manufacturing

FIX IT AGAIN TONY

lol American engineering

FOUND ON ROAD DEAD

"Chrysler"

It fell down.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Abner Assington posted:

A brewery/brewpub is insane profitability with markups; there's no distribution middleman in between them and a store/restaurant, so it's just right in their pockets. I used to work at one of the biggest craft breweries in the country and we'd charge $5 for a pint (pre-COVID, I think it's $7 now) and the cost of that versus how little it costs to make 16oz of beer is ludicrous. Assuming your beer isn't lovely and you aren't a raging alcoholic who gives it away, you'd have to be a goddamned idiot to fail in that industry.

ok but how do you grow your business 15% per year every year with a single brewpub huh??

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/business/status/1688387257332375552

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

official legal position of Coinbase: "we are a trading platform for digital assets that are sometimes called “cryptocurrencies” or “tokens” or
“crypto assets,” which despite these names are actually analogous to beanie babies or baseball cards, and are the future of global finance"

https://twitter.com/molly0xFFF/status/1688221691418161152

reject modernity embrace Mt Gox

link to full pdf of the memorandum

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

RadiRoot posted:

I'd argue it's more a trauma response.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Thank you brave, disgusting beasts from the Midwest.

Nothing is getting between them and that shrimp buffet.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Shipon posted:

since when did merely going to the same place as a strike become "scabbing", none of these academics are threatening to take strike breaking jobs at the hotels on strike lol

If they're staying at the hotel on strike they're crossing the line you loving rat

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

in addition to revoking WFH from their own employees, Zoom updated their (US?) Terms of Service:

Zoom posted:

You agree to grant and hereby grant Zoom a perpetual, worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free, sublicensable, and transferable license and all other rights required or necessary to redistribute, publish, import, access, use, store, transmit, review, disclose, preserve, extract, modify, reproduce, share, use, display, copy, distribute, translate, transcribe, create derivative works, and process Customer Content and to perform all acts with respect to the Customer Content:

...for the purpose of product and service development, marketing, analytics, quality assurance, machine learning, artificial intelligence, training, testing, improvement of the Services, Software, or Zoom’s other products, services, and software, or any combination thereof

lol at all the court proceedings, telemedicine, therapy, collective bargaining, and other very private poo poo getting used by Zoom to train AI models since a week and a half ago

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
Is it ethical to cross a picket line to obtain necessary medical services, say if the employees of your HMO's hospital are on strike?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

boy they sure did lump a shitload of ages together for that top line and left the rest as 10 year groups

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Skinnymansbeerbelly posted:

Is it ethical to cross a picket line to obtain necessary medical services, say if the employees of your HMO's hospital are on strike?

health workers who go on strike almost always have a plan to deal with this, precisely because they know that "nurses picketed while patients died" is something that would look very bad for them

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

webcams for christ posted:

in addition to revoking WFH from their own employees, Zoom updated their (US?) Terms of Service:

lol at all the court proceedings, telemedicine, therapy, collective bargaining, and other very private poo poo getting used by Zoom to train AI models since a week and a half ago

Tech just can't help itself but ruin whatever useful products it manages to produce

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

health workers who go on strike almost always have a plan to deal with this, precisely because they know that "nurses picketed while patients died" is something that would look very bad for them

I would think that for this, specifically, it would not hurt management one bit: the hospital bits are a cost center to an HMO. Subscribers that pay premiums without actually using the services are gravy.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

I would think that for this, specifically, it would not hurt management one bit: the hospital bits are a cost center to an HMO. Subscribers that pay premiums without actually using the services are gravy.

oh you mean like, if the office drones for an HMO are on strike? huh I hadn't thought about that

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

LaserPrinter69 posted:

For how long though...

If it generated for minutes it could power a subdivision. If it generated power for microseconds, it might be enough to illuminate a small LED for as long as it takes a person to blink

it says they netted around 1MJ. but that’s excluding the 100s of times that it took to charge the apparatus, manufacture the disposable fuel pellet, etc.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

lmao he’s backing out of his fight with zuck

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

I'm the empty carpark next to a discarded shipping container.

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

LaserPrinter69 posted:

For how long though...

If it generated for minutes it could power a subdivision. If it generated power for microseconds, it might be enough to illuminate a small LED for as long as it takes a person to blink

Not long at all, but understanding how the plasma moves during/after fusion will help with stable fusion.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Thoguh posted:

lmao he’s backing out of his fight with zuck

lmao yep.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

:rolleyes: whut abbt if u r starving & will die b4 u can get to an un-struck grocery store

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

oh you mean like, if the office drones for an HMO are on strike? huh I hadn't thought about that

It was the janitors, and for the record I did not cross. But I thought real hard about what would be the correct thing to do if something dire came up, and I still don't have a good answer other than stop using insurance for plebs.

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea
Economy update: better than ever (for the wealthy)

https://twitter.com/LizAnnSonders/status/1688488256898314240

https://twitter.com/LizAnnSonders/status/1688488053373861889

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

https://www.post-gazette.com/news/e...es/202308020105

quote:

A West Virginia university’s closure could have a devastating effect on the local economy — and speaks to the struggles of small schools

Just days ago, students at West Virginia’s Alderson Broaddus University were gearing up for the start of the fall 2023 semester.

Now, they wonder if they’ll have a place at the university during subsequent terms.

The future of the private Baptist school is in jeopardy after West Virginia’s Higher Education Policy Commission revoked its ability to award degrees starting Dec. 31. Heavy debt brought on the commission’s decision.

Alderson Broaddus leaders can appeal the decision by Aug. 10. The university did not respond to a request for comment.

We need to get rid of college accreditation because closing scam colleges will hurt the economy.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

This is a great stat to know, very tellinh

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

these people just don't know how good they have it, actually

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
a $400 emergency like I dunno. a fast food dinner for five and a tank of gas to get there

My point being that $400 doesn’t get you poo poo in an emergency!!

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

super sweet best pal posted:

And their milk goes bad real fast, at least the milk at the one I stopped buying from did.

I've noticed that so much of my fresh food has gone bad more quickly in the past year than I can remember for the rest of my life. Doesn't matter where I buy it from.

Palladium posted:

Lmao thats it? loving boring poo poo

a good portion of the stuff that the rich use are just the same poo poo that the rest of us use, but it's hidden behind exclusivity and #branding, it's not actually any better quality. they're drinking the same tap water and eating the same food, hidden under 3 layers of hoops and people ferrying it around in fancy packages

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

lol this stat famously used to be "a $500 emergency". they shrankflated it into $400 and despite that the # of people who can handle it is still dropping

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

SKULL.GIF posted:

a good portion of the stuff that the rich use are just the same poo poo that the rest of us use, but it's hidden behind exclusivity and #branding, it's not actually any better quality. they're drinking the same tap water and eating the same food, hidden under 3 layers of hoops and people ferrying it around in fancy packages

It's fun to watch Doug Demuro review $200K+ supercars on Youtube and see how lovely they are once you get past the name on the back.