Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Nodoze posted:

Carson Wentz was never good, Goff at least had good tape out there even if there were questions about how much was McVay

Did you start watching football in 2020 or…?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1688544071613038592

I am not a Kareem Hunt fan, but it's crazy to me he's just a 3 game fill in guy now. I guess his yards per carry were way down last year, but it's only one year, and it was the Browns just trying to put pieces together. And he isn't 30.

No market for big money for him I understand and there shouldn't be one. No offers other than possibly this I don't.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Kalli posted:

Wentz has almost the exact same tape, he put up 33 TD's in less then a full season with the Eagles that one year.

That Wentz season was propped up by insanely high and unsustainable redzone numbers, it was a total fluke and not anyway his real skill level

fsif posted:

Did you start watching football in 2020 or…?

No. I didn't know thinking Carson Wentz was never that good was a hot take though

Nodoze fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Aug 7, 2023

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Nodoze posted:

That Wentz season was propped up by insanely high and unsustainable redzone numbers, it was a total fluke and not anyway his real skill level

Yeah but we're comparing him to Jared Goff's year in McVay's offense.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Grittybeard posted:

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1688544071613038592

I am not a Kareem Hunt fan, but it's crazy to me he's just a 3 game fill in guy now. I guess his yards per carry were way down last year, but it's only one year, and it was the Browns just trying to put pieces together. And he isn't 30.

No market for big money for him I understand and there shouldn't be one. No offers other than possibly this I don't.

I mean, we lost Eno Benjamin and potentially replace him with Kareem Hunt??? I'll take that.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Silly Burrito posted:

I mean, we lost Eno Benjamin and potentially replace him with Kareem Hunt??? I'll take that.
You'd think Jamaal and Kendre could hold down the fort for three games? Thats a lot of mouths to feed.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I don't believe he's Kareem Hunt anymore though, he was pretty non-existent last year, and while the Browns did have that whole thing going on, Nick Chubb was still Nick Chubb.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Nodoze posted:

No. I didn't know thinking Carson Wentz was never that good was a hot take though

It is. He was an MVP candidate (favorite?) pre-injury in 2017 and was at least an obvious starting-caliber guy in 2018 and 2019.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Kalli posted:

I don't believe he's Kareem Hunt anymore though, he was pretty non-existent last year, and while the Browns did have that whole thing going on, Nick Chubb was still Nick Chubb.

Chubb was down too!

Um...just his being down still meant 5 yards a carry.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

You'd think Jamaal and Kendre could hold down the fort for three games? Thats a lot of mouths to feed.

They should, but RBs get hurt, and the fresher you can keep your players over the long haul, the better.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Silly Burrito posted:

They should, but RBs get hurt, and the fresher you can keep your players over the long haul, the better.
Fair point, yeah.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

fsif posted:

It is. He was an MVP candidate (favorite?) pre-injury in 2017 and was at least an obvious starting-caliber guy in 2018 and 2019.

I don't really agree with that. 2017 and 2018 are pretty clearly outliers, he never came close to that level of TD rate or completion % again. I'll accept that 2019 is probably the best you'd expect from him aside from the INTs being a little too low but, having a sub 65% completion rate isn't really that great in the modern NFL. I never saw him as a perennial MVP candidate QB, those guys were very clearly better than him. His Colts numbers aren't even atrocious, but everyone knows he played like total rear end

I also would have just accepted Wentz would be out of the league simply because he always got hurt while Goff has been fairly durable.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
I guess there can always be fluky years for any player, but he looked legit good in 2017 at least and I thought he was going to be a top 10 QB for a while. I recall some rumor-mill stuff about him being resistant to instruction, maybe once he started looking good in that 2017/2018 period it all went to his head and he decided he did not need to listen to coaches anymore and stagnated.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Mega64 posted:

Fitzpatrick was special because he was generally bad but also managed to be good at the right enough times that teams kept biting on him.

Plus good or bad he was generally fun to watch.

Yeah a Fitz game was almost always exciting, the mystery was which side’s fans got to enjoy it any given week. Like Jameis if he was cool instead of an rear end in a top hat sex pest.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
The point when you start talking about “outliers” that are multiple years long within a like six-year career is the point at which you need to admit you’re just pushing a narrative contra the facts.

Wentz had a really good year, but the injury set him back, and meanwhile he reinforced some of his worst habits.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I do enjoy comparing Goff and Wentz like we're arguing the merits of two used cars we can afford on a $900 budget.

It is extremely funny that Wentz can't get a job while Sam Darnold is a hair's breadth away from walking to the divisional round of the playoffs.

Kalli fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Aug 7, 2023

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Kalli posted:

I do enjoy comparing Goff and Wentz like we're arguing the merits of two used cars we can afford on a $900 budget.

It is extremely funny that Wentz can't get a job while Sam Darnold is a hair's breadth away from walking to the divisional round of the playoffs.

It's literally 100% personality based.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

rjmccall posted:

The point when you start talking about “outliers” that are multiple years long within a like six-year career is the point at which you need to admit you’re just pushing a narrative contra the facts.

Wentz had a really good year, but the injury set him back, and meanwhile he reinforced some of his worst habits.

There was also a season in there, I believe 2019 that was covered by the All or Nothing documentary, where their skill position group was so banged up they seriously had Josh McCown on the sidelines ready to go in as a wide receiver if needed cause he’d done it in Detroit once or twice like a decade earlier.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
Oppenheimer is a prescient reminder for us to discuss the importance of FatMan... err, fat men touchdowns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8envPaAc0w

Akeem Hicks eying the Eagles defender is hilarious.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

rjmccall posted:

They aren't multiple years long though? He had one year with an absurdly high, for any qb not just him, red zone TD% and one year with a very out of the norm for him completion %

Wentz is definitely some type of huge rear end in a top hat cause the Colts couldn't move on from him fast enough

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Nodoze posted:

I don't like Carson Wentz's play just as much as the next guy but he was legitimately good that year with nobody WRs.

You should never throw out numbers in football stats. Because you imply that it's an anomaly that also implies that normalized stats are factual with significance. Excluding the fact that every single player in the league has fluctuating stats away from their career averages every single year, you assume that a playstyle is unsustainable just because you haven't seen it before. Maybe Wentz is actually a savant in the red zone. Maybe other teams could get better. Why aren't we attacking Patrick Mahomes ridiculous number totals? He put up 5k yards one year, could have easily been accused of it being an anomaly after putting up three 4k yard seasons in a row, then he just did it again last year.

People are weird with their football arguments.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
6.3m. Insane.

https://twitter.com/NFL_DovKleiman/status/1688565925182603264?s=20

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

I bet at least a quarter of those people were watching cause they expected to see aaron rodgers

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Doltos posted:

I don't like Carson Wentz's play just as much as the next guy but he was legitimately good that year with nobody WRs.

You should never throw out numbers in football stats. Because you imply that it's an anomaly that also implies that normalized stats are factual with significance. Excluding the fact that every single player in the league has fluctuating stats away from their career averages every single year, you assume that a playstyle is unsustainable just because you haven't seen it before. Maybe Wentz is actually a savant in the red zone. Maybe other teams could get better. Why aren't we attacking Patrick Mahomes ridiculous number totals? He put up 5k yards one year, could have easily been accused of it being an anomaly after putting up three 4k yard seasons in a row, then he just did it again last year.

People are weird with their football arguments.

Mahomes missed two games his 2nd season and threw 100 less pass attempts, there is an easy explanation for the large yardage drop off that season. His other two seasons in between are both just under 5k yards, nothing you could look at and go wow he'll never do that again. 2020 he missed one game and averaged 316 y/g over the other 15, he plays that game he more than likely has another 5000 yard season.

Ayudo
Mar 30, 2006
I know (or at least think) Doltos' point is that we try and extrapolate way too much from a single stat or two.

But, I just want to point out the list of QBs with 5k yards passing in 16 games is literally all future HOFers and Jameis Winston.

If my QB only manages that one time, I'm not going to think less of him or argue he didn't peak.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

If there's something with regression for Mahomes' numbers it's that the defense looks better so he may not need to keep up with teams.

But so far this offseason he has more receiving options than any other time in his career. That's without a healthy Toney. I wouldn't recommend any Chiefs receivers or running backs this season because there are so many mouths to feed but Mahomes will probably break the yardage record again.

edit: not the fantasy thread!

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

mcmagic posted:

It's literally 100% personality based.

Yeah, exactly.

D'Arnold's career hasn't gone the way I'm sure he imagined it (having Gase and Rhule as his first two HCs didn't do him any favors, talent level aside), but he's been a team player and from what I've seen seems to be a decent guy. Wentz, from everything we've heard, is like the opposite of D'Arnold.

And we can see who still has a job

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Feel bad that we're all missing the most obvious marriage here.

An organization with a likely desperate need at QB used to handling guys with terrible personalities?

Wentz on the Packers, c'mon, make it happen. Can't let the Lions take that division cheeseheads.

Gaston Bachelard
Mar 26, 2009

When the image is new, the world is new.
Or Steelers

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
https://twitter.com/fashion_nfl/status/1688550800849764352?t=rnLh1elBPXAfW6qc8-Vt2w&s=19

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Kalli posted:

Feel bad that we're all missing the most obvious marriage here.

An organization with a likely desperate need at QB used to handling guys with terrible personalities?

Wentz on the Packers, c'mon, make it happen. Can't let the Lions take that division cheeseheads.
He's going to work on completing his quest to plat for every NFCE team by signing with the Cowboys when Dak gets hurt.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Tough but fair. Doing the Jags a little dirty though.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

Lol this is hilarious. The bengals and bucs? Ok

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Bismack Billabongo posted:

Lol this is hilarious. The bengals and bucs? Ok
I'm more appalled by the Cowboys, Browns, and Colts being so high. gently caress the Cowboys.

edit: the more I look the sheer scale of clickbaity-ness it is becomes apparent.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
The raiders uniforms look like some jv poo poo and I’ve never understood why anybody thinks they are noteworthy in any way at all.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Carson Wentz has more rings than Dan Marino.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

The Cardinals debuted their all one color unis and now are higher than the Atlanta falcons, who they have been copying since 2006 lol

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

dolphins are too high

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

do your top 10 immediately