Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Something neat about Talk to Me although I'm not sure if I'm misremembering- I'm pretty sure the camera tilt that it does is meant to symbolise the dead entering something . During the rituals, it happens when their heads snap back, but also it happens in the first one where the door opens as a dead person supposedly enters the room. Then when Mia is sleeping over with her ex, I'm pretty sure it does the same tilt when she gets attacked in her bed, showing that the dead have entered HER, so when she sees the dead person moving towards the bed she's more having an OBE as what's she's seeing is her own possessed body. I may be misremembering the scene though, I can't find a clip of it online.

Also I think the trailer that piqued my interest most was Cobweb, that looks neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

William Friedkin, director of The Exorcist, has passed away at the age of 87.

RIP to one of the true greats.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
50th Anniversary of The Exorcist this year too. A fact which will most certainly be noted in October Challenge in a few months.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Oh wow, talk about timing. RIP.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Talking about the big gross scene in Talk To Me with a friend next day and it turns out this GIF was basically it.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
drat gonna watch The Exorcist when I get home.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
R.I.P.

William Friedkin actually gave my college commencement speech (despite no discernible ties to the school or even the state).

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
gently caress, rip to a real one

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Bug is incredible

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I've still never seen the film adaptation of Bug, I should really get around to it. I saw the play off-Broadway in like 2004, Michael Shannon played the lead but I didn't know who he was at the time.

It was a small theater and the play had a lot of full nudity, so I got to see Michael Shannon's dong up close.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Fun fact: Bug was filmed in my high school's gym for some reason.

I haven't seen it in years but I remember it being pretty unsettling.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
for anyone who is a fan of William Friedkin and/or The Exorcist, Leap of Faith: William Friedkin on The Exorcist is a neat documentary that I recommend checking out. It's basically just Friedkin musing on art and film and music, some things are specific to the production of The Exoricst but a lot of it is more general. He was a very smart and talented dude. It should still be on Shudder.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Phy posted:

That thing grossed me out bigtime but then it got Byford Dolphined so it was like double gross

E: I think like a solid half of what I love about Alien is the 70s But The Future aesthetic.

I didn’t understand this reference and…yikes

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

DeimosRising posted:

I didn’t understand this reference and…yikes

I guess you were right not to google that. The GIS results aren’t exactly fun.

It was a depressurization accident that killed 5(?) people very brutally, including one guy who got instantly sucked through a hole smaller than his body.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Basebf555 posted:

One of the things about Ghostbusters that is somewhat forgotten now almost 40(!) years later, when it came out home video was really just getting started. When the VHS was released they charged $80 for it, and this was before big rental chains like Blockbuster were prevalent(the first Blockbuster opened in 1985, the same year as the Ghostbusters VHS).

So that was a big part of my first memory of Ghostbusters, my family was not in a position to be spending $80 for a VHS, not to mention we didn't even have a player yet. BUT we did have some friends who had more money than we did and they invited us over for a movie night with the Ghostbusters VHS. At 2 or 3 years old it felt like a massive event to be watching that movie in someone's living room, and I'm guessing that's one reason why my parents allowed me to watch it at that age in the first place.

Probably the best example of how new the VHS market was at that time, Beverly Hills Cop beat Ghostbusters in VHS sales because they sold the Beverly Hills Cop VHS for $30, so Ghostbusters was priced at more than double it's competition. You'd never see anything like that today, the price point of blu rays is pretty well established and nobody every tries to charge more than about $30 unless it's a really nice collectors edition.

I've shared the story before, but our first VCR, my Mom had to get my Grandpa to co-sign a loan to afford it. It was a huge clonker of a machine and it kept working until the late 90s. I seriously debated giving it a proper funeral for how long that machine lasted working fine. Ghostbusters was the first not-bootleged film we bought and we scrimped and saved to afford it. Because we didn't have much in our area like now of just go to a Walmart or similar store and buy one off the shelf, we went to a video rental place and talked with them about ordering a copy and we'd buy it from them. Most of the VHS of the time was insanely priced compared to now so rental places were pretty much the only ones able to afford copies. Even blank VHS tapes were very pricey and only carried at few stores. We'd have to drive into the city to Rolling Stones Records to find them.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

drat, RIP Friedkin

The Exorcist, Sorcerer and Bug are all great. true workhorse weirdo

gently caress and French Connection, god drat, imagine just sneaking that in early in your career

alf_pogs fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Aug 8, 2023

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
I don't know if this is a hot take or not, but I treasure Bug more than The Exorcist.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Crescent Wrench posted:

I don't know if this is a hot take or not, but I treasure Bug more than The Exorcist.

I'll second this. Ashley Judd and Michael Shannon are at Neill and Adjani in Possession levels near the end of that

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I'm watching The Exorcist right now and its just like a loving masterfully done film.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Genuinely perfect movie, nothing I'd ever change about it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Basebf555 posted:

One of the things about Ghostbusters that is somewhat forgotten now almost 40(!) years later, when it came out home video was really just getting started. When the VHS was released they charged $80 for it, and this was before big rental chains like Blockbuster were prevalent(the first Blockbuster opened in 1985, the same year as the Ghostbusters VHS).

Chain rentals, but there were still stores that rented videos. When I was 9 our local Asian cornershop had a video rental section upstairs. In hindsight it must have had no more than 300 tapes, but in the early 80s it was like walking into the Library of Alexandria, at least if the Library of Alexandria stocked a copy of Xtro.

What you have to remember is that in those days VHS players were much more expensive and scarce - like M Sinistrari says, they were a luxury item instead of something that was in every home. It was also presumed that no home viewer would ever want to watch a movie enough times to justify actually buying a tape. So the primary market for home video sales was commercial enterprises, which meant the potential sale volume was much smaller as one tape would be used by dozens of owners. This jacked up the cost of manufacture on every level, which is why movies on tape cost $80 each.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

One thing I sorta miss (but not really) is buying cheap rear end extended play VHS tapes and recording over them again and again and again until eventually they started to bleed over each other and become unwatcheable.

I had a VCR as a kid but I feel like most of our tapes were stuff recorded off tv.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I remember my dad getting a second vcr and introducing me to piracy by renting stuff and recording it on the second one

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I actually remember when VCRs were so expensive that my mom and dad would rent one for like a month or 2 weeks and then we'd get to watch movies on the TV because of it. It even had those connectors that were like u shaped and you had to screw them into the tv.

I am old enough that I remember when there was a Afalfa Video that got bought by Blockbuster.

The video store was right next to Little Caesars Pizza too! So we'd get movies then get a pizza and go home eat pizza and watch a movie.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

RIP Friedkin. I love The Exorcist but my favorite has to be Sorcerer.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Did anyone here do the trick where they'd swap a rated R movie with a PG movie and hope that the clerk didn't check the tape so you could get away with it?

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Hollismason posted:

Did anyone here do the trick where they'd swap a rated R movie with a PG movie and hope that the clerk didn't check the tape so you could get away with it?

No, but one time my sister (12 at the time) picked up The Devil's Advocate, and the clerk at our local called our parents to ask if it was okay for us to rent it (I was 10). They said yes, they assumed we picked stuff we were familiar with. We shouldn't have been allowed to watch that movie lol

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I said Terminator 2 was PG13 because I really thought it was. There’s hardly any real gore or blood in the movie. It’s mostly just bad words

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

CelticPredator posted:

I said Terminator 2 was PG13 because I really thought it was. There’s hardly any real gore or blood in the movie. It’s mostly just bad words
it makes cops look eeevil though

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
The most frustrating part of the video store was one time we were going to watch all of the Nightmare on Elm Streets that were out at the time but Freddy's Dead was checked out.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Martman posted:

it makes cops look eeevil though

Not one person in my family has ever been pro or anti cop enough to care lol

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
My family rented Basic Instinct and we watched it as a family but during sexy parts my parents were like "Leave the room".

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

My mom let me watch anything I wanted but just told me to remember it was all just pretend.

Which is funny because when she watches anything at all she gets really into it. Like if the bad guys are torturing the hero or even just doing something else bad she'll loudly call them disgusting bastards and losers as if they can hear her.

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.

CelticPredator posted:

lol, a kid I used to watch could watch Terminator 2 whenever he wanted because his mom thought it was PG-13.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Opopanax posted:

I remember my dad getting a second vcr and introducing me to piracy by renting stuff and recording it on the second one

All the time. I did a lot of this until they got wise and started using something called “Macrovision” or similar that would somehow scramble any copy you tried to make.

Even when there was no copy protection you had a low-res VHS tape, connected to another VCR by those old red/white cables recording to another VHS tape and the grain and picture on your new copy was awful.

But it was still quite cool back then!

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Escape Room is one of the most by the numbers death game stories I seen, lol. I think the only thing missing was a taunting mascot. Still fun though, the set design is nifty.

I will now watch Tournament of Champions.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

FreudianSlippers posted:

My mom let me watch anything I wanted but just told me to remember it was all just pretend.

Which is funny because when she watches anything at all she gets really into it. Like if the bad guys are torturing the hero or even just doing something else bad she'll loudly call them disgusting bastards and losers as if they can hear her.

I remember watching pop up video or something when I was in school and my mom watching the Weapon Of Choice video with me. She audibly gasped and was horrified when Chris Walken dove off the balcony.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

My parents let me watch mostly everything. Some stuff was maybe too much but for the most part go for it.

Once we were trying to rent resident evil 1 from blockbuster while staying at a friends house bht my friends mom saw the quote line on the box that said “sleek and sexy” or whatever and she was like oh no, it’s sexy you can’t watch this lol

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

FreudianSlippers posted:

I used to date a girl who would cheer the protagonist on during fight scenes. Like, shouting "get 'em!" really loudly while making frantic punching motions. She did this even if we were rewatching something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011
I definitely make my own sound effects and cheer during movies. It might be obnoxious but my partner loves me so :)