Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

Twerk from Home posted:

Car insurance rates have skyrocketed over the last few years, and yes car insurance will pay out more than you paid new for a car if your car has increased in value from when you bought it new.

I experienced the latter or almost, when I totaled my car a few years ago. Paid $21k for it new, drove it for 3 years and put 50,000 miles on it, plus the $9k in body and structural damage done to it from accidents and vandalism, and still got $17k back from insurance. Although in that instance it was more due to having a slightly limited run car and it holding it's value particularly well, for a 2013 Mazda that got 19 miles per gallon anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

The next decade will be smooth sailing with a humming economy

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Jon Irenicus posted:

meanwhile my local Toyota dealership has called me six times to see if I want to buy a five year old Camry for 30k

if hybrid or a v6 that is a good deal

(lol)

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

Twerk from Home posted:

Car insurance rates have skyrocketed over the last few years, and yes car insurance will pay out more than you paid new for a car if your car has increased in value from when you bought it new.

For the insurance, the cost of the cars themselves is peanuts compared to the rise in fatalities and injury accidents from the post-2020 normal of lovely, brain damaged drivers everywhere.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

hell yeah

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

RTO appeals are getting weird

https://bigthink.com/thinking/anomie-erodes-soul-society-loneliness/

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Coworker's mom died and his family sold the house while he was living there, and he was sleeping in his car until lol they towed it for an expired tag. Half the cars I see around these days have expired tags or even the paper plate with an expiry from almost 2 freaking years ago.

So now for want of the reg fee the cost went up 3 fold, plus the impound fee. If something happened to the car, good luck replacing it. A very sustainable system for throwing people down a hole.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

I get anomie everyday sitting in traffic surrounded by all of us burning gasoline when I'm sure a significant portion of those people didn't have to be out there at all. They wouldn't burn the gas nor others to burn more gas due to the congestion. And it's only this way because the oligarchs profit immensely from the way land is distributed, fuel retail, fast food, car manufacturing and repair. It's broken on purpose so you can be fed on by these industries. This society is one big CAFO.

If I dress up like Awesomo and call myself an AI could I propose we operate society in a more efficient manner? Is it the singularity when a computer tells you that people shouldn't burn gasoline to appear before a middle manager so he can feel like a special boy?

ETA: lol that article first paragraph is about someone who decided to live there and then was subject to people's ire because they decided they didn't like his car's color with no communication. This is the kind of thing that causes anomie, when you're subject to random people's whims with no reciprocity, communication, or even a particularly good reason. Daring to live in a place and receiving a list of complaints and demands isn't society. At least in this case, they aren't fining him or running him off and acknowledge they can't do anything to him, whereas in the US someone will sue and perhaps brandish a firearm at you.

skooma512 has issued a correction as of 01:09 on Aug 8, 2023

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

skooma512 posted:

Coworker's mom died and his family sold the house while he was living there, and he was sleeping in his car until lol they towed it for an expired tag. Half the cars I see around these days have expired tags or even the paper plate with an expiry from almost 2 freaking years ago.

So now for want of the reg fee the cost went up 3 fold, plus the impound fee. If something happened to the car, good luck replacing it. A very sustainable system for throwing people down a hole.

I always cut my car tabs in an X shape with a pocket knife when I put them on because I hear people going around peeling tabs off to stick on their own car has been a lot more common recently. Idk if that's just a wives tale but if it prevents me from getting a surprise pulling over then it's worth it to me.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Thoguh posted:

Wait what’s the concern with peanut butter?

PB is by far the most frequently recalled grocery store doodad, maybe next to Spinach or sometimes strawberries. the machines are usually molding, never cleaned (because that's downtime), and a ton of peanuts from putrefying molding to fine are all mushed together and blended then put into jars.

that said it's usually fine like 99% of the time. usually the amount of molding or feces peanuts that get blended in are diluted enough that it's not breaking "food safety". but for every recall there's probably about another hundred mini outbreaks that didn't quite meet a threshold to recall and most sicknesses go underreported and very little contact-tracing-tier forensics on how people are getting sick

so i'll still eat that garbage. it does help i've got an iron stomach and have never gotten food poisoning despite eating immense amount of shady places, things leftover on the kitchen overnight the next day, and even recalled products

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Xaris posted:

RE: peanut butter

After my grandmother died, I moved into the house she was living in. I looked in the pantry and found a new jar of Jiff peanut butter that had exactly one scoop taken off the top. I ran the numbers on the label and found out it was from the recalled batches tainted with salmonella

:rip:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Lacrosse posted:

After my grandmother died, I moved into the house she was living in. I looked in the pantry and found a new jar of Jiff peanut butter that had exactly one scoop taken off the top. I ran the numbers on the label and found out it was from the recalled batches tainted with salmonella

dying for peanut butter....

worth it imo. though not for jiff's lol

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

skooma512 posted:

Pretty hosed up and ofc they're not sharing the proceeds with him. poo poo loving sucks.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
authoritarianism bad unless its the nickel-diming corpo-ethnostate doing it

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Xaris posted:

PB is by far the most frequently recalled grocery store doodad, maybe next to Spinach or sometimes strawberries. the machines are usually molding, never cleaned (because that's downtime), and a ton of peanuts from putrefying molding to fine are all mushed together and blended then put into jars.

that said it's usually fine like 99% of the time. usually the amount of molding or feces peanuts that get blended in are diluted enough that it's not breaking "food safety". but for every recall there's probably about another hundred mini outbreaks that didn't quite meet a threshold to recall and most sicknesses go underreported and very little contact-tracing-tier forensics on how people are getting sick

so i'll still eat that garbage. it does help i've got an iron stomach and have never gotten food poisoning despite eating immense amount of shady places, things leftover on the kitchen overnight the next day, and even recalled products

what if you get the peanut butter from the ones at the groceries where the machine squishes it in front of you
i like the one with cashews

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

i am harry posted:

what if you get the peanut butter from the ones at the groceries where the machine squishes it in front of you
i like the one with cashews

got some bad news about that machine too

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Gunshow Poophole posted:

got some bad news about that machine too

lmao if you think any restaurant in any country isn't full of roaches and rats scurrying about when the humans are gone

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
Luckily the doomsday econ thread is always wrong so this means peanut butter is safer than ever

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Palladium posted:

lmao if you think any restaurant in any country isn't full of roaches and rats scurrying about when the humans are gone

look at this computer toucher, going to fancy grocery stores where the rats and roaches wait til you leave

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
I guess it’s a good thing my kid prefers sunbutter. she developed a taste for it since it was pb substitute at day care.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Lacrosse posted:

jesus.

I'm so sorry dude.

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

whites need to be stopped

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

uninterrupted posted:

whites need to be stopped

A fuckton of kids are allergic to peanuts for a variety of reasons that we don't fully understand. Sunbutter is here to stay.

It's so drat bitter. Maybe the youth of tomorrow will develop a taste for beer and coffee younger because of it.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

what the h*ck is sunbutter

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Sunflower butter.

Honestly i found it sweet not bitter at all.

I think my taste buds are weird tho because i also love lemons and limes.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

what the h*ck is sunbutter
sunflower seed butter, im guessing.

anyways my recommendation is people get used to eating contaminated moldy/fecal food. as profit continues to decline and energy continues to become increasingly expensive, corporations are gunna have to strip out more and more to the bones, transportation is going to get shittier and increasing delays and understaffing shortages. tis the future, you best build up a tolerance now

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Pumpkin seed butter is better, not least as you can drop it into peanut butter cookies equivalently and get perfect results... well, other then being slightly greenish.

I am one of those unfortunates allergic to peanuts.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Lacrosse posted:

So did you eat the peanut butter or what

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

Rated PG-34 posted:

So did you eat the peanut butter or what

no i think their grandma did

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

WrasslorMonkey posted:

no i think their grandma did

yeah but what are the odds you’ll both get done in

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Nonsense posted:

The next decade will be smooth sailing with a humming economy

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/unusual_whales/status/1688505514806677505?s=20

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

You can easily test for salmonella btw. There might be some decent lawsuit money in it if it tests positive

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Rated PG-34 posted:

You can easily test for salmonella btw. There might be some decent lawsuit money in it if it tests positive

buying dozens of different peanut butter jars of different brands, varieties, and expiration dates like lottery tickets

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I thought pickleball was for out of shape boomers who would otherwise hurt themselves playing tennis

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

in asia people eat seasame paste and it's virtually identical in flavor and texture to a peanut butter but sometimes it's black (black tastes a little different). it's a good substitute except that seasame sensitivity is also on the rise

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

strangely I don't think Tahini has that distinct flavor

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Mustached Demon posted:

I thought pickleball was for out of shape boomers who would otherwise hurt themselves playing tennis

It is. Turns out they also get hurt under the slightest of exertion.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Mustached Demon posted:

you're apparently bent over the entire time so it's much worse than just playing tennis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Pickleball is also loud and annoying as gently caress.