Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

oh okay, so your suppose to do stack this dissocation blessings in rememberence, no idea what's happening, but suddenly my Yanqing just does like 600k damage and i'm like woah what's going on lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I can confirm that you can use Clara as your only DPS on an Elation run that gets the proper buffs. Girl can casually throw out 500k ult counters when she's built and buffed up.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

Ibblebibble posted:

I can confirm that you can use Clara as your only DPS on an Elation run that gets the proper buffs. Girl can casually throw out 500k ult counters when she's built and buffed up.

I must shake the banner until Clara falls out.

When I want to guarantee a win, and I don’t care about winning round limited occurrences, I go hard into nihility or abundance then afk with auto and come back in 20 minutes. When I want to see Blade take out 40% of the bosses HP in one ultimate counter chain, I do Elation. I can’t wait until I have any actual 80 characters with 80 LC and relics, I spread my exp too thin and now I just have a lot of 60s with bad/no relics.

ExtrudeAlongCurve
Oct 21, 2010

Lambert is my Homeboy
I really appreciated the new MoC blessing being about follow up attacks.

My two main damage dealers being Jing Yuan and Clara.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Bring back the one that gave defense shred for applying debuffs. :argh:

Danakir
Feb 10, 2014
Kafka's trailer just dropped and I really love Kafka's classical music motif. It suits the whole femme fatale/spider angle very well.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEUffI4nAIM

Reminds me how weird it is that her kit doesn't have even a trace of her character-defining mind control powers.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Eimi posted:

I wish I knew because a properly told version of this arc that weaved in the back story, made us understand what Dan Heng was feeling and really get his perspective would be awesome. :iiam:

it would also take way more effort than is probably feasible when you are adding stuff at the rate they are with the production values they have

the reason the side quests can be much better written is because they're mostly just NPCs standing around talking at you in normal text boxes.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Make the main quest also that, so it can also be good

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

drat Kafka stop killing people

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I have to admit that Yukong's story showing a still image of her talking with her friend made me feel more than the whole Dan Heng water city cutscene.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i agree but the main story has to have flashy scenes

well doesnt 'have' to but has to

if they could take a break from putting out any real content for a year like ff14 does despite also being a live service im sure they could put out something extremely cool but unfortunately gacha games and mmos have different monetization models

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

Have we seen that flavor of guard before? I feel like maybe we just got a preview of the <redacted> in the Kafka video.

e: realized after the fact that this was potentially a small upcoming plot spoiler, I don’t think our likely next destination has been officially mentioned yet.

Ayndin fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Aug 8, 2023

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Endorph posted:

it would also take way more effort than is probably feasible when you are adding stuff at the rate they are with the production values they have

the reason the side quests can be much better written is because they're mostly just NPCs standing around talking at you in normal text boxes.

big cummers ONLY posted:

Make the main quest also that, so it can also be good

Honkai Impact having a visual novel style (that sadly they are also ditching to put it more in line with Genshin and Star Rail) is one of the better things. I prefer that format when it lets you really dig into dialogue and stuff like that without the need to pump out cutscenes for every little thing. Save the cg budget for the big flashy moments, use VN style for the rest, it works great drat it. :argh:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

imagining something with genshin's presentation style trying to do fgo's lostbelt 6 and loling

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Ayndin posted:

Have we seen that flavor of guard before? I feel like maybe we just got a preview of the <redacted> in the Kafka video.
They're definitely new. Not sure what makes you say [that in particular], though.

They reused the Belobog museum for the backgrounds, but I'm assuming they didn't mean for me to pay attention to that, so I'll ignore it.

e: Redacted by OP's request.

FractalSandwich fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Aug 8, 2023

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Eimi posted:

Honkai Impact having a visual novel style (that sadly they are also ditching to put it more in line with Genshin and Star Rail) is one of the better things. I prefer that format when it lets you really dig into dialogue and stuff like that without the need to pump out cutscenes for every little thing. Save the cg budget for the big flashy moments, use VN style for the rest, it works great drat it. :argh:

I mean, unless you've seen leaks of next chapter I haven't, Honkai Impact is still using the VN style plenty--basically for every "text dump," and I have to wonder how much harder it actually is for in-engine cutscenes that mostly amount to some new animations and camera angles. Mostly camera angles, really. A little extra flash for your normal stuff is fine, hell, if it does lead to somewhat shorter updates, well, I'm playing three different Hoyoverse games and still need time for other video games and, you know, life.

Meanwhile, when they do want to bring the spectacle, holy gently caress, this latest update, wtf, how is this not even the chapter end, holy gently caress, that was way cooler than anything on the Luofu at least.

As an added bonus, the "show don't tell" exposition sequence for Vita included perhaps the rarest article of women's clothing in these games: Pants!
And they even managed to make a forced platformer section look cool as hell and not suck! They've been trying to make those not suck for years! And failing miserably!
(Also having not posted since last time it came up because I needed to get current, we really should make an HI3 thread. I think there's probably enough people, and even more probably enough people somewhat interested for a link and a good OP to bring some more in. The problem is good OPs take effort.)

More Star Rail relevant, I felt like we got Dan's emotional state well enough, unless I misread it. Through most of the Luofu, Dan has big "I do not want to run into anyone who knows me in my old home town" energy, obviously amped up a bit because a video game has to be more dramatic than that so he's wanted. After the reveal, we find out that in retrospect
A. No that was even worse than it looked because he straight up does not know anyone but there are people who know him.
B. The poo poo "he" left for and is known for is poo poo he didn't even loving do.

With the added stress and anxiety of "now these assholes are all trying to make me be that person I don't even remember," only obviously even more than people expecting to act like you did in High School or whatever because, again, he literally doesn't even remember that, and as an added bonus because this is a video game a whole loving world depends on him successfully pretending. After giving in to the pressure, Dan came off really prickly and a bit resigned.

I would not be surprised if his discomfort with this whole thing is used as the main reasons he
A. Comes back on the express ASAP.
B. Does not use his "true" form unless absolutely necessary, because to him it absolutely does not feel like himself.

Or I'm projecting and reading too much into it, but at the very least it was clear the entire time that he absolutely, positively does not want to be here.

Also for whatever reason I feel like the cops in Kafka's video are with the IPC, but I don't know why.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Captain France posted:

Also for whatever reason I feel like the cops in Kafka's video are with the IPC, but I don't know why.
Now that you mention it, they have the same colour scheme as the IPC Planar Sphere, and that same logo on the stocks of their guns. That'll be it.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Did a farewell to Blade 10 pull. I got Genius' Repose. :D

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Captain France posted:

Or I'm projecting and reading too much into it, but at the very least it was clear the entire time that he absolutely, positively does not want to be here.

the hurdle they had was to give emotional weight to the story of a man that shows no emotion. and they didn't do that.

like yes he clearly didn't want to be there but it came off more like "i don't want to go to the dmv" rather than "i don't want to confront this past that isn't even mine." which I guess is the challenge when you write for a character whose whole shtick is stoicism but that's the bed they made.

he's just one example though. they spent so much time on visual spectacle they neglected to do anything interesting with any of their characters. and i don't think they have to be mutually exclusive even on their patch cycles. i hope for future content they learn how to write interesting characters who also do flashy things.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Clarste posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEUffI4nAIM

Reminds me how weird it is that her kit doesn't have even a trace of her character-defining mind control powers.

Kafka stop shooting up my museum I put a lot of work into that :mad:

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Meiteron posted:

Kafka stop shooting up my museum I put a lot of work into that :mad:
Wait, maybe they'll give us more jade to fix it again. It's the perfect racket!

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Incidentally, I thought the use of rose petals in the trailer to imply blood without showing it was pretty clever.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
I am not interested in Kafka, but Sampo is the only 4* I am still missing, so I might as well roll for Sampo and Luka and stop once I get them. Of course, I said the same thing about JY's banner and ended up with him too...

I mainly want the characters for the ~ 3 free standard banner rolls each, so it is definitely worth spending some double digit amount of other rolls on it :v:.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Kafka and hopefully Luka tomorrow, then saving the rest for Topaz and Jingliu

hopefully they are heavily featured in 1.3 for a release in ~1.4

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

FractalSandwich posted:

They're definitely new. Not sure what makes you say…

A plot spoiler that I’d forgotten was not actually officially confirmed yet! Apologies for bringing it up, I’ve edited my post. I do agree they’re probably IPC security though, that makes sense.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Pain of Mind posted:

I am not interested in Kafka, but Sampo is the only 4* I am still missing, so I might as well roll for Sampo and Luka and stop once I get them. Of course, I said the same thing about JY's banner and ended up with him too...

I mainly want the characters for the ~ 3 free standard banner rolls each, so it is definitely worth spending some double digit amount of other rolls on it :v:.

That's a good point about the 4 stars. I'm not interested in Luka at all but pumping him to 70 for the passes is a good idea. I'll definitely throw a 10 pull into Kafka's banner for that reason, maybe a 20 pull.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Walla posted:

That's a good point about the 4 stars. I'm not interested in Luka at all but pumping him to 70 for the passes is a good idea. I'll definitely throw a 10 pull into Kafka's banner for that reason, maybe a 20 pull.

I think they were being sarcastic. If you care about being able to pull characters you want, don't risk losing your pity on a banner for someone you don't want - it's not worth it for three passes

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
I am actually going to roll for that reason, but I was pointing out that I know it is not always the best idea. I figure even if I did not want Kafka much, any 5* you get "accidently" pre-pity is not too bad. If I get her in 30 rolls I will be ok with that. I think I am at a guaranteed banner character, that would probably be more annoying to lose.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

5 star enjoyers move over, it's 4 star likers turn to shine.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I am going to get Kafka because she is a cool terrorist and the trailer only made me want to pull more.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

big cummers ONLY posted:

I think they were being sarcastic. If you care about being able to pull characters you want, don't risk losing your pity on a banner for someone you don't want - it's not worth it for three passes

Except there isn't an upcoming character I actually care about. Imbibitor is the only one I'm mildly excited for, and I'm 10 deep into my next 5 star so I'm willing to risk a few pulls.

I'm not a typical gacha player. I enjoy pulling on the slot machine and seeing what I get far more than I do in planning and waiting for future characters. Plus I actually still really want a Clara or Bronya so more pulls on the standard banner is actually valuable to me.

Hell, I might even pull on the weapon banner. I use every single one of those cones and more would be better.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Clarste posted:

I am going to get Kafka because she is a cool terrorist and the trailer only made me want to pull more.

Seriously, that trailer was so good.

Danakir
Feb 10, 2014

Clarste posted:

Incidentally, I thought the use of rose petals in the trailer to imply blood without showing it was pretty clever.

I really loved that, not only it did it get past the censors but it was super aesthetic.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I don't have a good 5* damage dealer and I'm at 75/90 pity on a guarantee since I missed Blade, so I'm looking forward to grabbing Kafka to pair with my surprisingly stacked (compared to who I was actually trying to build) Sampo. Hopefully I can get her quickly and save the rest of the passes for later.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Rolling Kafka to get E4 Sampo.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Walla posted:

I'm not a typical gacha player. I enjoy pulling on the slot machine and seeing what I get far more than I do in planning and waiting for future characters.

No that’s a typical gacha player

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Yeah, and the typical gacha player has zero pulls banked and complains every single banner about how unlucky they are. I hate them.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

haypliss posted:

Rolling Kafka to get E4 Sampo.

Mine'e E2 so this would be nice too.

Erg posted:

No that’s a typical gacha player

Really? Because I definitely feel like the odd one out whenever I post.

If I wasn't a poor I would whale so hard for this game. I spend like $15 a month and it hardly gets you anything. I think I'm going to stop buying the Express Pass when my current one runs out because a 15 pull a month just isn't great. At least the Battle Pass gets me a light cone and some material to make a needed ER rope or speed boots.

Clarste posted:

Yeah, and the typical gacha player has zero pulls banked and complains every single banner about how unlucky they are. I hate them.

Do I complain about being unlucky? I'm being serious here because I definitely don't want to be a drain on the thread. I'm really enjoying my time with the game. I think the only real frustration I have is how long it takes to build characters but that's nothing to do with the gacha.

I do have zero pulls banked, but I just spend a 10 pull when I get them.

Bad Video Games fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Aug 8, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Walla posted:

Really? Because I definitely feel like the odd one out whenever I post.

People who post on message boards are atypical. Like, even on social media something like 90% of people never post anything but just read.