Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

yeah, much better to unionize in the areas of life where there isn't a big machine ready to crush you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

yeah, much better to unionize in the areas of life where there isn't a big machine ready to crush you

thats right

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Fabricated posted:

This is cool and I wish them luck but this is throwing a spanner in the gears of a big machine that will absolutely try to crush them

unlike which other labor movements?

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Fabricated posted:

This is cool and I wish them luck but this is throwing a spanner in the gears of a big machine that will absolutely try to crush them

What are they gonna do hire a bunch of scabs from “Asylum”?
Hire writers to make deep, thought provoking movies that don’t rely on visual effects?

Hollywood has coasted on these people for 15 years, the most surprising thing is that they’re somehow not already unionized.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Re the ongoing media / social media blitz in favor of a

it's only a police crackdown if it happens in the authoritarian region of nations america doesn't like, otherwise it's just sparkling order restoration

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

bump_fn posted:

if it makes marvel movies fiscally impossible then its the best news ever

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

https://whyy.org/articles/pennsylvania-medicaid-at-least-137000-people-cut/

quote:

Pennsylvania cuts at least 137,000 people from its Medicaid program as some participants fight paperwork denials

At least 137,000 people have been terminated from Pennsylvania’s Medicaid program since April, when a pandemic-era rule that had guaranteed continuous enrollment in the low-income health insurance program ended.

Some no longer qualify for the program based on their income, others have failed to submit the yearly renewal paperwork that is again required.

Public health experts say they expect the number of terminations to grow over the next eight months as the state reevaluates roughly 3.6 million people for program eligibility.

Over 27% of the entire population of the state is on Medicaid and the state wants to purge them from the rolls. good poo poo

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

https://whyy.org/articles/pennsylvania-medicaid-at-least-137000-people-cut/

Over 27% of the entire population of the state is on Medicaid and the state wants to purge them from the rolls. good poo poo

well an easy way to get rid of people that cost you money is to kill them off via attrition

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

my friend hasn't been tossed off yet despite having a better paying job now (wrangling data between three separate, incompatible SAP databases lmao) and she's using it as much as possible, especially with an er visit in the last month. though idk how the income limits changed since the pandemic so maybe she is still technically eligible

anway per the article only 59k are due to paperwork issues and the rest are because people make too much or left pa.

it could be an easier process but knowing people who used to work in PA's public assistance system it's a depression factory for the clerks there

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
expand medicaid to give everyone at least basic coverage

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
i was on it in nyc for a bit and it was really great. decent coverage and it saved me an absolute gently caress ton of money

Apr 7, 2003

Beeftweeter posted:

i was on it in nyc for a bit and it was really great. decent coverage and it saved me an absolute gently caress ton of money

Medicaid has better health outcomes than commercial plans because recipients know they won't be wrecked by copays

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Medicaid has better health outcomes than commercial plans because recipients know they won't be wrecked by copays

in nyc they just put you on a commercial plan and you can choose from a bunch that have really pretty excellent coverage. i was out with some friends and they were complaining about how much it costs because they moved here from overseas. turned out they basically had the same plan and the copays were $125 a pop for a pcp. they were absolutely pissed at my card showing $0 for everything lol

i was like "oh so now you know how americans feel when someone talks about any other country's healthcare system"

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Internet Old One posted:

What are they gonna do hire a bunch of scabs from “Asylum”?
Hire writers to make deep, thought provoking movies that don’t rely on visual effects?

Hollywood has coasted on these people for 15 years, the most surprising thing is that they’re somehow not already unionized.

they coastsed on them precisely cause theyre not dummy

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

how the gently caress did dubas offer a bag of garbage to san jose and get karlsson in return lol

Apr 7, 2003

graph posted:

how the gently caress did dubas offer a bag of garbage to san jose and get karlsson in return lol

the league probably stepped in behind the scenes and made it happen to keep one of their premier franchises viable for a few more years

Complete speculation on my part, but what else could explain it

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

graph posted:

because the sharks have wanted/needed to rebuild since 2020 basically and karlsson's contract was a huge albatross around their neck that they just needed to move on from, any way they could. at least that 1st round pick should hold, even though its top 10 protected, i dont think the pens will fall that far lol .

edit: also the back end of that contract is going to be ugly for the pens. i'll be surprised if he finishes it in pittsburgh.

post hole digger fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Aug 8, 2023

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

https://www.vice.com/en/article/qjv3gm/grindr-tells-unionizing-workers-move-across-the-country-or-be-fired

quote:

LGBTQ dating app Grindr has issued a new return-to-office policy requiring staff to relocate to other cities, just two weeks after its workers announced they were unionizing with the Communications Workers of America. The certification form, sent to workers on Monday night and obtained by Motherboard, states that the policy requires workers to either move within 50 miles of their newly designated office or lose their jobs.

tech industry getting in on the union busting.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
man the next ten years are gonna suck that poo poo is so rotten. all the dying corpses holding the capital just twisting the knife on their way out to make sure there's extra suck and pain for no reason cause theyre mad society improved in one tiny way for one tiny moment

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
holy loving poo poo theyre forcing people to move to sf to come into the office AND THEY DON'T HAVE AN SF OFFICE

laisdjflasdkjklnfblknxclk;bnxo;ciu0jtnasdngl

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Jonny 290 posted:

man the next ten years are gonna suck that poo poo is so rotten. all the dying corpses holding the capital just twisting the knife on their way out to make sure there's extra suck and pain for no reason cause theyre mad society improved in one tiny way for one tiny moment

:hmmyes:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

yeah it’s pretty explicitly a union busting strategy

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Can they file this under retaliation with NRLB or has that been so thoroughly defanged as to basically not exist

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Not a Children posted:

Can they file this under retaliation with NRLB or has that been so thoroughly defanged as to basically not exist

quote:

Littler Mendelson is a law firm that says it specializes in “initiating strategies that lawfully avoid unions.” The CWA announced that Grindr had hired the firm on Friday.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
oh it's issue one day. happy issue one day to all who celebrate

should know around 10pm if the fascists win! exciting

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Jonny 290 posted:

holy loving poo poo theyre forcing people to move to sf to come into the office AND THEY DON'T HAVE AN SF OFFICE

laisdjflasdkjklnfblknxclk;bnxo;ciu0jtnasdngl

at&t is doing this to some friends. "you have to move or you're fired!" meanwhile they have 3x too many people already at the office in question and people literally have meetings in hallways and apparently the facilities are falling apart (no climate control, not enough restrooms etc)

you're right on about how we'll be feeling vengeance for a decade or forever, i'm just hoping i can ever find another remote job again

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Not a Children posted:

at the very least this is often interpreted as constructive dismissal and you can get unemployment about it

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
they've calculated the severance to be 0.01% more than the equivalent unemployment payout so i doubt that angle would work

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

graph posted:

what is issue one

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Jonny 290 posted:

they've calculated the severance to be 0.01% more than the equivalent unemployment payout so i doubt that angle would work

depending on state you can sometimes do it anyway! i was able to, i just made drat sure to disclose it. but i live in the pacnw with some surprisingly good laws for freedomland

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

graph posted:

what

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

good luck to ohio in their quest to somehow take the mantle of biggest great lakes freak state from indiana.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

quiggy posted:

what is issue one

its fairly easy to get an amendment to the constitution on the ballot and it keeps getting used to ensure things such as "abortion" and "libraries" are possible in ohio

they want to make it that it'll only pass with 60% of the vote rather than 50%+1

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

what aff said, then in november they want to run 'vote yes to keep abortion legal' with a 60% yay threshold and it'll fail etc

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
well ok but i still don't understand what the vote is about. what is the issue that they are voting on today?

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Beeftweeter posted:

well ok but i still don't understand what the vote is about. what is the issue that they are voting on today?

quote:

A "yes" vote supports amending the Ohio Constitution to:

increase the voter approval threshold for new constitutional amendments to 60%;
require citizen-initiated constitutional amendment campaigns to collect signatures from each of the state's 88 counties, an increase from half (44) of the counties.
eliminate the cure period of 10 days for campaigns to gather additional signatures for citizen-initiated constitutional amendments when the original submission did not have enough valid signatures.

A "no" vote opposes amending the Ohio Constitution, thus:

maintaining that a simple majority (50%+1) vote is required for voters to approve new constitutional amendments;
continuing to require campaigns to collect signatures from each of at least 44 (of 88) counties; and
continuing to allow campaigns to have 10 additional days to collect signatures when their original submissions contained too few valid signatures.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Jonny 290 posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

Pretty clear at this point that "MAGA" actually means "destroy everything on the way out, if I can't have it no one can"