Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Mr E posted:

To be honest I have a lot more issue with them directly reading ads for better help than I do about random gold ads because at least those are funny and don't harm people due to bad therapy.

Yeah the Better Help ad reads are a big :yikes: from me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Papa Was A Video Toaster posted:

Yeah the Better Help ad reads are a big :yikes: from me

I hope they're locked into a contract and can't stop until it expires, because if it's something they're willing to continue doing even after it became widely known what a lovely company Better Help is then I'd be very disappointed.

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I hope they're locked into a contract and can't stop until it expires, because if it's something they're willing to continue doing even after it became widely known what a lovely company Better Help is then I'd be very disappointed.

Yeah seconding that Robert read better help ads is jarring when listening to how lovely companies/people are knowing that better help is total poo poo.

Those episodes about Stockton Rush were really :catstare: I knew about some of it already but the fact that the sub was audibly cracking on previous dives and he waved it off is just crazy.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
The gang has repeatedly said they have zero control over the ads that appear. It's still not awesome to hear Robert literally reading ads for poo poo companies. Especially ones that seem legit but insidiously prey on people who might already be vulnerable. Very different from scam gold ads or ReaganCoins or whatever that no BtB listeners are going to go for in the first place

Anyway, while Scott Adams is certainly not as bad a person as like, Kissinger, he's one of the most personally unlikable people I've ever encountered. I can't stand his "ha ha ha I'm so much smarter than you ha ha ha" demeanor.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Thank you so much Robert for doing the nasally, whining "MASTER PERSUADER" line. It is so, so much how I have felt about this rear end in a top hat for so many years.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Everett False posted:

The very first podcast I ever listened to was a weeb podcast back in 2005 (I was 15 lmao) and I only listened because they had an interview with R.K. Milholland and I was really into webcomics. I feel like I've come full-circle, somehow.

One of the fun things about R.K. Milholland is that his voice and occupation say "middle-aged college professor," but the dude himself looks like a shaved bear. I was shocked to meet him at a comic convention a few years ago, because I thought at first he was the real Milholland's bodyguard.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

After listening to part two of the kidnapping series, I have come to the conclusion that all suburban white women need a productive hobby so they don't come up with bullshit, like that cheese on your car's hood means you're marked for kidnapping or whatever.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

After listening to part two of the kidnapping series, I have come to the conclusion that all suburban white women need a productive hobby so they don't come up with bullshit, like that cheese on your car's hood means you're marked for kidnapping or whatever.

https://twitter.com/pbump/status/1682064556363771904?t=NY_uB7yLtoX646Ejws_PTw&s=19

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
I haven't listened to part 2 yet, but I yelled "holy poo poo!" when I heard Robert say that the guest was Sarah Marshall. What a pleasant surprise.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013

Zugzwang posted:

I haven't listened to part 2 yet, but I yelled "holy poo poo!" when I heard Robert say that the guest was Sarah Marshall. What a pleasant surprise.

Aw hell yeah! Definitely listening to this when I get home.

dor1
Jun 5, 2011

Zeniel posted:

I'm finding it very difficult to listen BtB anymore, not because of the content but because every time i listen to an episode, the episode will suddently glitch and skip to some arbitrary point and it'll do this about three times usually towards the end of an episode and then episode will suddenly just stop.

I usually listen through the google podcasts app and thought that might be why, so I switched to the iheart radio website recording and the exact same problem happened. I assume its related to the ads somehow but I dont understand why it's doing this, it never used too.

Its been happening for several episodes now and I just don't know what to do about it. :(

I've had that bug too, and it's definitely ad related, but my fix is to download the episode before listening to it, rather than streaming it and since i've been doing that i've not noticed any problems. (Tested with both Spotify and Podcast Addict)

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I use Apple Podcasts and I’ve never run into that issue

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I use PocketCasts, and never have any issues, but I also have it set to auto download new episodes when on Wifi.

I was listening to the War on Vagrants episodes, and one thing that was said really bothered me.

There was a point where they were discussing the minister giving the poor family money to purchase food and repair their home, and then was upset that they bought sweets or costly items, and owning a bunch of dogs and burning the shingles.

They (rightly) mocked people who beleive that poor people don't deserve to have treats or own pets. However, they didn't acknowledge that there's a difference between buying some food for pleasure and/or having one pet, and buying a lot of junk food and buying 9 dogs.

I've *been* on government assistance, specifically food stamps. I would never begrudge someone buying themselves something special, or owning a pet or two, but it's not unreasonable to be upset if I donated money and goods to a family and they spent *all* of it on junk food and bought a whole herd of pets. That's simply not a responsible use of resources.

It's certainly possible, or even likely, that that story was false, but I would have appreciated an acknowledgement that if it was true, that the minister had a right to be upset.

I beleive that if someone extends you a helping hand, you have a responsibility to be respectful of them and do your best to use that assistance wisely.

Annath fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jul 24, 2023

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Annath posted:

I use PocketCasts, and never have any issues, but I also have it set to auto download new episodes when on Wifi.

I was listening to the War on Vagrants episodes, and one thing that was said really bothered me.

There was a point where they were discussing the minister giving the poor family money to purchase food and repair their home, and then was upset that they bought sweets or costly items, and owning a bunch of dogs and burning the shingles.

They (rightly) mocked people who beleive that poor people don't deserve to have treats or own pets. However, they didn't acknowledge that there's a difference between buying some food for pleasure and/or having one pet, and buying a lot of junk food and buying 9 dogs.

I've *been* on government assistance, specifically food stamps. I would never begrudge someone buying themselves something special, or owning a pet or two, but it's not unreasonable to be upset if I donated money and goods to a family and they spent *all* of it on junk food and bought a whole herd of pets. That's simply not a responsible use of resources.

It's certainly possible, or even likely, that that story was false, but I would have appreciated an acknowledgement that if it was true, that the minister had a right to be upset.

I beleive that if someone extends you a helping hand, you have a responsibility to be respectful of them and do your best to use that assistance wisely.

I could see how people can think a 1-time donation of money isn't gonna pull you out of poverty or really change much, so you just take a vacation from poverty and enjoy yourself. No matter how responsible you are with it, you're still gonna be broke and miserable, and the warm glow of responsibility doesn't last long.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

A Moose posted:

I could see how people can think a 1-time donation of money isn't gonna pull you out of poverty or really change much, so you just take a vacation from poverty and enjoy yourself. No matter how responsible you are with it, you're still gonna be broke and miserable, and the warm glow of responsibility doesn't last long.

I get that, but buying a bunch of dogs or burning shingles isn't the same a taking a trip or buying a special meal - not only will it not pull you out of poverty, it makes that pit deeper buy adding additional ongoing expenses (food for dogs, damage to house/possessions from leaky roof, etc).

It's just frustrating, because I do advocate for a strong social welfare system, but I do also believe that those benefits should come with responsibility.

When I was getting government assistance, I was required to submit proof that I was looking for work. I wasn't required to obtain employment within a certain time frame, but I did have to be actively looking.

Similarly, I was incentivised to buy healthy/fresh food by my benefits being worth double at farmer's markets.

I think those are great ideas, and that more types of assistance should be available, but have similar requirements and incentives for their use.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
The problem with this, as with many things along the same lines, is that yes, when said and considered in a vacuum entirely on its own merits the idea is not immediately reprehensible in any way and there are even positive sides to it.

We don't live in a perfectly flat plane of existence with purely spherical cows and no friction though. As soon as you begin introducing the idea, bad faith assholes will take the cover it provides and run with it then use it to attack the people they don't like and gaslight you the whole way with disingenuous bullshit. If you try to argue with them you're losing, because they're bad faith assholes who only want to hurt the people they want to hurt and, at best, don't care about your ideals or at worst actively hate you and want to destroy your world view/possibly you as well. So unfortunately the discussion of those ideals cannot be had entirely on its own merits, and implementation of them will always, always end up hurting the most vulnerable among us when the rhetorical space or operational circumstances become opened up to this topic.

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you
I use to think that all it takes is one rear end in a top hat to ruin it for everyone but as I get older I am not convinced of that anymore. I've seen first hand people take advantage of social programs designed to help lift families out of poverty by destroying the home they were given or yeah buy a bunch of stuff that they won't be able to keep once the leg up is gone. That type of person has a lot of personal growth to do before they will be happy with themselves and their position in life, it's not like they get much out of it in the long run. The lovely part is that home they trashed after countless volunteers and donations could've gone to a someone who would treated it like a castle and maybe could've pulled themselves out of poverty. It's that's person you do it for and can't stop trying to help people because of a few bad actors.

My dad is a hardcore Regan conservative that still believes the "welfare queen" bullshit and he passed that down to me and my siblings, I've grown to understand it to be lies, my siblings have not.

The kidnapping episodes were great, the whole time I kept thinking about how groups who are legit trying to help human trafficking victims are being bogged down by things like, "You can order a child on wayfair" or "cheese on the car means you're a target" BS.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
The human trafficking thing upsets me on a visceral level, because the US LOVES human trafficking, even sex trafficking, to the US and, like raping slavers that worry about white women worry about people like them being trafficked.

Woman from China or SE Asia are trafficked to the US in huge numbers to fill out what are wink, wink, called Asian Massage Parlors, or AMPs if you spend too much time poking not-especially dark places in the internet. I’ve been told there are similar stories for women originating in in Central America, but have no desire to learn more.

Somebody, I think here, pointed out a long time ago that you could make a realistic version of Taken starring Jackie Chan going to the US to save his daughter.

It’s projection it’s always projection.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name
As a society we don't do the thankless work of giving people help, time after time, even after they have proven they won't put it to any good use, to help those particular assholes.

We do it so that their children have even a sliver of a chance to make a better life. Social programs are a generational project that make the world we share a better place in thirty years, not a band aid for right now.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I keep getting ads for this "Full House" rewatch podcast and it sounds like something they'd make me listen to in Hell.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Wanderer posted:

I keep getting ads for this "Full House" rewatch podcast and it sounds like something they'd make me listen to in Hell.

If it's the one I am thinking of, ironically it only released one episode before going on hiatus due to the SAG-AFTRA strike (the union wisely added "recap/rewatch" podcasts to the list of scabbing activities because they knew studios would just force actors to do podcasts until this blows over)

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

AceOfFlames posted:

If it's the one I am thinking of, ironically it only released one episode before going on hiatus due to the SAG-AFTRA strike (the union wisely added "recap/rewatch" podcasts to the list of scabbing activities because they knew studios would just force actors to do podcasts until this blows over)

Probably honestly for the best. I assume rewatch podcasts must still have some juice since they keep making them, but my interest in them has completely dried up

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
This episode is going to depress the hell out of me. We read In the Time of the Butterflies in middle school and that book stuck with me for a while. Trujillo is one of the most reprehensible men I’ve ever learned about.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

teen witch posted:

This episode is going to depress the hell out of me. We read In the Time of the Butterflies in middle school and that book stuck with me for a while. Trujillo is one of the most reprehensible men I’ve ever learned about.

Yeah, I feel like I'm going to need to gather my strength before tackling this one.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Ron DeSantis part 1 just dropped, let's loving gooooooooo

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Are the audio tracks out of sync for anyone else?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Shinji2015 posted:

The were on the file PocketCasts downloaded initially at like 1am, but the subreddit says it was addressed and re-downloading fixed it for me.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Shinji2015 posted:

Yeah it's completely unlistenable. I redownloaded and it didn't fix it.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Mine had Robert and Cody sync, but Katy sounded like she was someone talking about another topic the next table over

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

bobjr posted:

Mine had Robert and Cody sync, but Katy sounded like she was someone talking about another topic the next table over

Yeah, that's the issue I'm having. At first I thought the guys were just talking over her, but she kept going like they weren't

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Huh, weird. Mine is totally fixed.

Maybe a caching issue with different podcast sources?

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

I couldn't get apple podcasts to stop using the hosed-up version so I had to switch to pocketcasts to listen to the version with ads. Ad-free BtB is the literal only thing I use apple podcasts for and I'm bailing as soon as they have an alternative. :argh:

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Everett False posted:

I couldn't get apple podcasts to stop using the hosed-up version so I had to switch to pocketcasts to listen to the version with ads. Ad-free BtB is the literal only thing I use apple podcasts for and I'm bailing as soon as they have an alternative. :argh:
Same, and, I just retried again to no avail :negative:

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

I get the feeling you should try again now :v: lol that the ad-free version having a different feed meant it didn't get fixed like it did for everyone else.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
I'm glad they've started noting how many parts a series will be in the description. I like listening to all of a multi-part episode in a row and it lets me know whether to wait a week to start it.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

I bought a iPhone so I could listen to the good version of this podcast :v:
Edit: Even with the episodes downloaded on Google Podcasts the ends of like every episode had 2 or 3 ad glitches.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Apparently frequent show guest Jamie Loftus is a producer on a Star Trek show now?

https://twitter.com/jamieloftushelp/status/1699911674537607356?s=46&t=BHs6Pl38GJXGN2Y4xeriNA

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

FlamingLiberal posted:

Apparently frequent show guest Jamie Loftus is a producer on a Star Trek show now?

https://twitter.com/jamieloftushelp/status/1699911674537607356?s=46&t=BHs6Pl38GJXGN2Y4xeriNA

I saw that! She has been a staff writer since season 2, so cool to see her get a title bump.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

https://twitter.com/iwriteok/status/1700019910733406454?s=46&t=8qKeRz1MPwpnqaU9WYBJgg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Okay I give up, who is that? I scrolled through far too many replies hoping someone would say.