Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Bellmaker posted:

The abuse coverups in the Catholic Church coming to light are also a significant factor.

The other thing is that small towns are shrinking, the small town protestant (or catholic) church closed with them driving people to MegaChurches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

DeadlyMuffin posted:

There's a good argument that Nixon resigned because he thought he'd be impeached.

Barry Goldwater of all people went to see Nixon and explained to him that the Republican Senate caucus would not support him lock-step, so Richard did the math and stepped down.

Of course the real bad precedent was done in 1968 when Richard did an actual treason, but LBJ figured there wasn't enough evidence to charge his direct rival in the election with it. And the rest, as they say, is history.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
I would be surprised if 'unable to attend' is even in the top 5 reasons why people aren't going to churches. Outside of a couple of regions where there's still a moderate amount of attendance, you pretty much can't pay people to go to church and in much of the country most congregations are a dwindling amount of old people.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Hunter Biden and his business associate were a front to funnel corruption money to Biden when he was Vice President in 2012 through 2018. Biden decided that when he was Vice President and during a time he was preparing to run for President, he needed to make a quick $60,000 by accepting bribes from the Chinese government and Russian-aligned Ukrainian oligarchs that were funneled through his son and brother's business as 10% of the profits from a deal with the Chinese government and the Ukrainian energy company Burisma.

The reason he needed this $60,000 right away is... ???

Getting it via bribes from China and Russia was the easiest way he could make money because... ???

He thought that doing this right before running for President was the perfect time because... ???

He paid China and Russia back for his bribes by doing... ???
right, i get the failson stuff, but "every member of the biden family" stuf is based on what? there are political cartoons depicting "every member of the biden family" with bags of cash. based on what?
following all these conspiracies is just as difficult as folloing the trump family's actual crimes

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

InsertPotPun posted:

right, i get the failson stuff, but "every member of the biden family" stuf is based on what? there are political cartoons depicting "every member of the biden family" with bags of cash. based on what?
following all these conspiracies is just as difficult as folloing the trump family's actual crimes

They are my enemy and therefore corrupt and wrong. Their power is both infinite and weak.

Stop looking for logic when they just need to something to make people feel ok about hating Biden without having to think about it.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Harold Fjord posted:

Honestly 60% is way less of a big deal than requiring signatures from all 88 counties to get on the ballot

How so? A lot of things can fail for having majority but sub-60% support. I think anything where you’d conceivably have half the state voting for it you can find someone to sign in each county, especially in these days of shared voter lists. Any county where the party aligned with the amendment has a Facebook group? Pretty easy to find signatories. Not saying it’s not a roadblock, but it’s an organizational hurdle that’s easier than swinging an extra 10% of the vote.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
I'll say this, as a parent to 4 small kids, that not having a social support structure or nearby family willing to help babysit has really curtailed my social activities for the past 12 years. My oldest will be 13 this fall and I am starting to warm up to the idea of him as a babysitter so we my husband and I can have a date night, but up until very recently we didn't have that luxury. I am actually looking forward to being a productive and social member of society again now that my kids are older, because being a stay-at-home parent to small kids can be very lonely.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

InsertPotPun posted:

It usually spirals out of politically motivated telephone game. Like I think Joe Biden's brother Jim owns an undeveloped vacant lot in the Virgin Islands and this turned into the elaborate "Biden Compound" where Joe stays for his secret visions to Epstein's Island. Purely coincidental that it comes up when Trump's Epstein connections get mentioned in the media. Biden needs to be a wealthy elite of mysterious financing because of real stories with Like Trump/Thomas/Kavanaugh/etc.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

VorpalBunny posted:

I'll say this, as a parent to 4 small kids, that not having a social support structure or nearby family willing to help babysit has really curtailed my social activities for the past 12 years. My oldest will be 13 this fall and I am starting to warm up to the idea of him as a babysitter so we my husband and I can have a date night, but up until very recently we didn't have that luxury. I am actually looking forward to being a productive and social member of society again now that my kids are older, because being a stay-at-home parent to small kids can be very lonely.

This is similar to our situation. No real support structure just devastates families with young kids. Even using a babysitting service it's like... a.) expensive and b.) you don't really know those people and leaving your kids with them presents its own anxieties.

Honestly the fantasy of moving back to Mississippi... MISSISSIPPI... has presented itself just because we'd be back in the fold with our friends. poo poo is lonely out there.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Mooseontheloose posted:

They are my enemy and therefore corrupt and wrong. Their power is both infinite and weak.

Stop looking for logic when they just need to something to make people feel ok about hating Biden without having to think about it.

Killer robot posted:

It usually spirals out of politically motivated telephone game. Like I think Joe Biden's brother Jim owns an undeveloped vacant lot in the Virgin Islands and this turned into the elaborate "Biden Compound" where Joe stays for his secret visions to Epstein's Island. Purely coincidental that it comes up when Trump's Epstein connections get mentioned in the media. Biden needs to be a wealthy elite of mysterious financing because of real stories with Like Trump/Thomas/Kavanaugh/etc.
how do you rebut nothing? "biden did such and such this day" is easy enough to go "look at this that proves you wrong" but like, vague nebulous nonsense based on nothing at all...how do you prove there aren't whales carefully hidden behind some clouds?
and the people spreading this stuff have a nationwide reach with no oversight.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

InsertPotPun posted:

They badly want Biden corruption scandals, because they need something to counter Trump's corruption scandals and because spreading an image of corruption was pretty effective against Hillary.

They're desperate enough that in the absence of any actual scandals, they'll just make some up, stretching facts to the breaking point and filling in holes with conspiratorial thinking. It's not like their ultra-MAGA audience is going to start fact-checking it. Your boss is spluttering when you ask for specifics because he never thought about the specifics in the first place. He doesn't need to know the details, he'll happily take some Fw:Fw:Fw: thread at its word as long as it confirms what he wants to believe.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I think there's a very strong connection between multimedia technology and the decline in church attendance very specifically, to thread the needle here. In modern American Evangelicalism (which is mostly driving what we're talking about here, even though it does have a broader context), the whole idea of "church" has been whittled down to being all about the lead pastor preaching a really good sermon on Sunday. That is very rapidly losing its appeal because there's a limitless amount of as-good-or-better sermons available at all times. It started with radio, then televangelists, and now it's reached full saturation. Even if you're committed to your local church and you want the best for it, the fact that it's so laser-focused on preaching is becoming less and less appealing because you don't really need to go there to "get" good preaching.

And that's just sermons. When you consider how that's also competing against all kinds of commentary about society from so many different sources -- many of them incredibly toxic, of course -- driving somewhere once a week to hear some local shlub do his best to put together 30 minutes talking about a 2000 year old book without offending anyone is pretty unappealing.

I don't think the best pastor alive could keep this model going for much longer, which is probably a good thing in the long run, because it's far from the only model; it's really just the most recent one. If there's ever another "revival" I think it's going to be a shift away from sermon-centric church services. Because that really doesn't make a whole lot of sense anymore.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Sir Lemming posted:

I think there's a very strong connection between multimedia technology and the decline in church attendance very specifically, to thread the needle here. In modern American Evangelicalism (which is mostly driving what we're talking about here, even though it does have a broader context), the whole idea of "church" has been whittled down to being all about the lead pastor preaching a really good sermon on Sunday. That is very rapidly losing its appeal because there's a limitless amount of as-good-or-better sermons available at all times. It started with radio, then televangelists, and now it's reached full saturation. Even if you're committed to your local church and you want the best for it, the fact that it's so laser-focused on preaching is becoming less and less appealing because you don't really need to go there to "get" good preaching.

And that's just sermons. When you consider how that's also competing against all kinds of commentary about society from so many different sources -- many of them incredibly toxic, of course -- driving somewhere once a week to hear some local shlub do his best to put together 30 minutes talking about a 2000 year old book without offending anyone is pretty unappealing.

I don't think the best pastor alive could keep this model going for much longer, which is probably a good thing in the long run, because it's far from the only model; it's really just the most recent one. If there's ever another "revival" I think it's going to be a shift away from sermon-centric church services. Because that really doesn't make a whole lot of sense anymore.

yeah whatever the next form will be it's almost certainly just going to be the answer to 'how tf do we get new people through the door'

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls
All the Hunter Biden stuff has shown, to me, is that Hunter Biden *really* wanted people to think he had pull with Joe and managed to convince them that they did, but he really didn't and it was all a con on his part. And Joe for whatever reason was not willing to just cut his son off, even if it meant that he would take a political hit. Probably because of what happened with the rest of his family.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Killer robot posted:

His brother (Jim) bought an island vacation home in Florida as an investment in 2013 and Joe Biden stayed there on a vacation at least once. Jim also owed taxes to the IRS and the IRS placed a lien on this rental vacation house. Jim wanted to unload the house two years later, but could not sell it because of the lien.

Jim called around to rich donors he knew from fundraising to ask for a loan and one of them gave him a loan to pay off his taxes, get the lien lifted, and he then sold the house and paid back the loan.

The fact that Jim was calling donors he knew from working on Joe's 2008 campaign while Joe was Vice President helps reinforce that he was peddling his name and time on a campaign for financial assistance because Jim only knew this guy who loaned him the money because he has been a big donor to Democrats for decades and he knew him through politics. Joe Biden wasn't involved and it wasn't illegal, but Jim Biden would have probably had a harder time and gotten a worse loan if he went through a bank instead of calling up a friend who he only knew from being involved with Biden's 2008 campaign.

InsertPotPun posted:

The "Biden Crime Family" is composed of Joe Biden, Hunter Biden, and Jim Biden.

- His sister also worked on his 1988 and 2008 campaigns, but hasn't been a part of the Biden Crime Family theories.

- His other son, Beau, died of brain cancer in 2015.

- One of his daughters died in the same car crash that killed his wife in 1972.

- His other daughter works in dolphin preservation and is not involved in any of the crime family theories.

- His 7 grandchildren range in ages from 5 to 29 and have not been a part of any of the Biden crime family theories.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Aug 8, 2023

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Sir Lemming posted:

I think there's a very strong connection between multimedia technology and the decline in church attendance very specifically, to thread the needle here. In modern American Evangelicalism (which is mostly driving what we're talking about here, even though it does have a broader context), the whole idea of "church" has been whittled down to being all about the lead pastor preaching a really good sermon on Sunday. That is very rapidly losing its appeal because there's a limitless amount of as-good-or-better sermons available at all times. It started with radio, then televangelists, and now it's reached full saturation. Even if you're committed to your local church and you want the best for it, the fact that it's so laser-....

Wikipedia has evangelicals as being outnumbered by mainline Protestants and Catholics, combined for Pew Research in 2014, individually by the Public Religion Research Institute in 2020. Just for the record.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

ryde posted:

All the Hunter Biden stuff has shown, to me, is that Hunter Biden *really* wanted people to think he had pull with Joe and managed to convince them that they did, but he really didn't and it was all a con on his part. And Joe for whatever reason was not willing to just cut his son off, even if it meant that he would take a political hit. Probably because of what happened with the rest of his family.

There's also the fact that Hunter is still his son. It's hard for most parents to cut off their kids.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

Shooting Blanks posted:

There's also the fact that Hunter is still his son. It's hard for most parents to cut off their kids.

Then there were the "incriminating" text messages and voicemails that were leaked out, that were basically loving messages from a dad to his struggling son. "Aw, what a good dad!" was not the response the GOP wanted, so they keep hammering the failson stories while totally ignoring the Trump kids and their proven grifts.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

ryde posted:

He did briefly cut him off entirely for a few years between 2015 and 2018, but reconnected after he tried to kill himself in 2018.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

What is going on in Oakland?

Crime is slowly falling in most of the U.S. after skyrocketing in 2020, 2021, and 2022. But, Oakland seems to have defied the trend. They aren't just defying the trend, but are exploding in the opposite direction and assaults/home invasions have nearly tripled.

The NAACP has called for a state of emergency to be declared in Oakland, the city council says they can't do anything and want the state government to send in the national guard, and California Governor Gavin Newsom has said that he will send state police to Oakland.

Burglary is down nationwide by 9%, but up 41% in Oakland.

Homicide is down by about 10% nationwide, but is up 80% in Oakland.

Car break ins are up 90% in Oakland.

There doesn't seem to be an explanation for why Oakland is defying all the trends, but most groups are falling back on their usual hobby horses. Some people are saying that anti-police rhetoric has lead to a record low number of police after quits and transfers. Police response time is currently 6x higher than it was in 2015. Others say it is guns and economics. But, anti-police rhetoric, guns, and economic issues exist all throughout the country and have existed in Oakland for a significant amount of time prior to this year.

https://twitter.com/KyungLahCNN/status/1688727808988598272

quote:

Oakland’s crime rates are surging. Here’s how they compare with S.F. and other Bay Area cities

San Francisco is an outlier by some measures — such as billionaires and car break-ins — but violent crime is not one of them. The city’s violent crime rate is lower than those of many other major U.S. cities, and while some forms of violence have been trending up, its overall rate is still near historic lows.

Not so with Oakland. Three years after the pandemic upended life in the Bay Area, the East Bay city continues to grapple with surging reported crime rates that were already higher than most other big cities. And data from the first half of this year shows worrying trends.

As of early July, Oakland’s homicide count was up by 80% compared with 2019 and reported assaults and robberies were up by about 40% and 20%, respectively. Property crime jumped too, particularly car-related crimes: Car break-ins were up by nearly 90%, while vehicle thefts had more than doubled.

In an open letter published July 27, leaders of the NAACP’s Oakland branch called on local officials to declare a state of emergency over what they called an “intolerable public safety crisis” that disproportionately impacted Black residents in East Oakland, the city’s violent crime epicenter.

“Murders, shootings, violent armed robberies, home invasions, car break-ins, sideshows, and highway shoot-outs have become a pervasive fixture of life in Oakland,” organization leaders wrote, urging officials to ramp up spending on police, youth education and vocational training, as well as address the city’s faltering 911 call system.

And Wednesday, Gov. Gavin Newsom announced his office would send Oakland a handful of California Highway Patrol officers and a loan to install license plate readers after Mayor Sheng Thao and the police force requested help.

In an emailed statement to The Chronicle, Mayor Thao said she is committed to a “multi-pronged approach” to addressing the city’s crime surge, adding the city is ramping up spending on public safety and “working with community partners and across agencies to ensure we are doing everything we can to both prevent violence and hold people accountable for carrying out crimes in our city.”

Representatives for the Oakland Police Department did not respond to the Chronicle’s request for comment by publication time.

As in years past, Oakland’s crime rates are significantly higher than those of other California cities. The Chronicle compared Oakland’s violent crime rate with those of eight other California cities closest to it in size and found that Oakland had the highest violent crime rate of all of them in 2022, with 1,500 violent crimes for every 100,000 residents.

The city also has abnormally high property crime. Oakland has the highest rate of property crime of California’s 10 largest cities, eclipsing even San Francisco.

This doesn’t mean that crime in Oakland is at an all-time high, however. Reported violent crime in the city was significantly higher in 2012 than it is now. The city saw an encouraging five-year decline in violence in the 2010s, reaching a low point from 2017 to 2019. In those years, Oakland averaged 72 homicides a year, down 32% from its 2011 to 2013 average. The recent surge reversed most of those gains.

Several neighboring Bay Area cities, including Richmond and San Francisco, also saw steep drops in gun violence over the 2010s. Experts found that while the Bay Area’s dramatic gentrification explained some of the decrease, so did its robust network of violence prevention groups.

A 2019 study found that Oakland’s Ceasefire initiative, a community-police partnership formed in 2013, had effectively reduced violence even after accounting for changing demographics. Oakland police credited the city’s success to a combination of police work and successful community partnerships.

“We saw what happens when you have an organized, multi-pronged strategy that is community-based as much as it is policing-based,” said Joe Griffin, Executive Director of Youth Alive, an Oakland-based community organization that works with at-risk young people to address the causes of violence and help survivors heal.

Then COVID hit. Experts are still piecing together exactly why the pandemic so dramatically impacted violence in Oakland and nationally, but most agree on a few contributing causes. Schools and other gathering places closed, leaving young men — the primary victims and perpetrators of crime — with few structured activities and less social support.

Meanwhile, many people lost their jobs, which caused stress to themselves and their families. There was also a rise in the number of guns streaming into communities at greatest risk of violence, especially untraceable “ghost guns” — a trend researchers say was caused by unrest related to lockdowns and fears stoked by the protests after the murder of George Floyd by a Minneapolis police officer.

And in Oakland, pandemic-spurred social distancing measures curtailed the strategies that groups like Youth Alive had so successfully implemented in years earlier, Griffin said. For instance, the Caught in the Crossfire program, which sends trauma specialists into hospitals to meet and offer support to teens that have been shot, had to cease in-person interactions in 2020 and much of 2021.

Now that social distancing is over, Griffin said Youth Alive has returned to the close interpersonal style it found most effective before 2020. But he said violence has stayed high, in large part because the pandemic’s major impacts continue to have repercussions — such as the increased guns in circulation, and the fraying, self-perpetuating effect that such crimes have on community hubs and neighborhoods.

“When you have high rates of violence, social networks break down,” he said. “People are less likely to make use of (public) areas in their community.”

Griffin called Oakland’s increase in violence an emergency that its leaders should tackle with urgency. But, he said, programs like his need resources to deliver results, which is why he is worried about looming cuts to the Department of Violence Prevention.

A portion of funding for Youth Alive comes from the Department of Violence Prevention, established in 2017 and a partner of the Ceasefire program. Under the latest city budget, proposed by Mayor Thao and approved by the City Council, just under $4 million was cut from the Department of Violence Prevention’s overall budget after community advocates expressed concern about the impact of shrinking its budget by $6.6 million.

An earlier report by G. Kentrell Killens, interim chief of the Department of Violence Prevention, found that these cuts would translate into 2,500 fewer people receiving violence prevention services, the vast majority of them Black and Latino.

The Police Department, meanwhile, has an approved budget of $359 million — a 2% increase from this year’s projected expenditures. Thao previously said in a news release that the budget, despite compromises related to the city’s ongoing deficit, “puts Oaklanders first by investing in the full landscape of public safety.”

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/article/oakland-bay-area-rates-18259788.php

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Those statistics are (almost literally) unbelievable and it makes me wonder if it has to do with some specific Oakland PD practice. Like, either an exaggeration/fabrication of statistics, or some back channel way of sending a message that it’s open season for criminals (to protest police accountability or give an impression of widespread lawlessness), or some other form of extreme corruption. (Hell, can we even put it past them to commit the “extra” crimes themselves?)

Every possible explanation is defied by other places with the same issues that are not experiencing crime waves. So it’s time to start looking at specific people with power in the ravaged communities.

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Aug 8, 2023

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I am thinking here of The Wire, in which a major plot point is the police department over- or under-reporting crime for political purposes.

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair

VorpalBunny posted:

Definitely feel this. No nearby family right now and my two youngest (twins) are relatively difficult kids around bedtime to the point where I wouldn't want to inflict them onto a babysitter or anything, so its pretty much destroyed what little of my wife and I's social life once existed. Very hard to see when it may let up and I think i'm still coming to terms with the fact that it might not be until our oldest is around that 13 year old range (another 7 years....). Not really much to add aside from saying that its at least nice to see other people struggle with similar things.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Wikipedia has evangelicals as being outnumbered by mainline Protestants and Catholics, combined for Pew Research in 2014, individually by the Public Religion Research Institute in 2020. Just for the record.

Evangelicals are very loud and outspoken, while a lot of mainline Protestants and Catholics are probably C&E types, (Christmas and Easter).

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Voted No in Ohio on Issue 1. I hope it it wins. Today is the voting on that.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Regarding the loneliness thing I was biking around the other day and went by a park and saw a group of maybe 20-30 people playing games and cheering each other on and such and I thought "man I really would like to be doing what they are doing, being out with a whole group of people just having fun" and then I realized that:

a. It was probably a church group and I am not even Christian and I know my synagogue doesn't do things like that
b. None of my friends would ever organize a thing like this. Hell, some of my friends became complete shut ins during covid and have had to resort to therapy to gain the confidence to leave the house and be around people again.

I used to organize a softball team in a rec league years ago before covid but I decided it was time to let someone else do the organizing and the whole thing fell apart because no-one else wanted to organize. It became a thing where I felt that the only way I would get to see people or do fun things is if I was the one making the effort to reach out and do something and it just got so tiresome after a while that the last year I just gave up on keeping in touch with people. I wouldn't say my friends are lazy (well they are) but it definitely feels like people are caught up in their own stuff and don't make time for socializing anymore, and to try do so feels like way more effort and stress than it is worth.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Mellow Seas posted:

Those statistics are (almost literally) unbelievable and it makes me wonder if it has to do with some specific Oakland PD practice. Like, either an exaggeration/fabrication of statistics, or some back channel way of sending a message that it’s open season for criminals (to protest police accountability or give an impression of widespread lawlessness), or some other form of extreme corruption. (Hell, can we even put it past them to commit the “extra” crimes themselves?)

Every possible explanation is defied by other places with the same issues that are not experiencing crime waves. So it’s time to start looking at specific people with power in the ravaged communities.

It seems wild. But, the NAACP, local residents, and city council/mayor all say they are definitely feeling it. It's also pretty hard to fake a bunch of dead bodies and shootings for an 80% increase in homicide.

It is definitely something unique to Oakland and pretty crazy. It doesn't seem to be happening anywhere else in the country to this degree.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
There's a great Jason Isbel song that'll never be more appropriate to post, Something More Than Free.

Forgive the video, only studio version I could find.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhIL8H2P1Jk

I believe it's based on his father, and perhaps isn't 100% reflective of current conditions, but rather the attitude is relevant. Worn, alone (despite mentioning "friends" in the first verse), too tired for church.

"The hammer needs a nail... And the poor man's up for sale
Guess I'm doing what I'm on this earth to do

And I don't think on why I'm here or where it hurts
I'm just lucky to have the work
And every night I dream I'm drowning in the dirt
But I thank God for the work"

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Madkal posted:

Regarding the loneliness thing I was biking around the other day and went by a park and saw a group of maybe 20-30 people playing games and cheering each other on and such and I thought "man I really would like to be doing what they are doing, being out with a whole group of people just having fun" and then I realized that:

a. It was probably a church group and I am not even Christian and I know my synagogue doesn't do things like that
b. None of my friends would ever organize a thing like this. Hell, some of my friends became complete shut ins during covid and have had to resort to therapy to gain the confidence to leave the house and be around people again.

I used to organize a softball team in a rec league years ago before covid but I decided it was time to let someone else do the organizing and the whole thing fell apart because no-one else wanted to organize. It became a thing where I felt that the only way I would get to see people or do fun things is if I was the one making the effort to reach out and do something and it just got so tiresome after a while that the last year I just gave up on keeping in touch with people. I wouldn't say my friends are lazy (well they are) but it definitely feels like people are caught up in their own stuff and don't make time for socializing anymore, and to try do so feels like way more effort and stress than it is worth.

FWIW, I joined a fraternal organization (The Freemasons) exactly for what you wrote above. People don't really socialize any more like they used too. Chatting on facebook and discord doesn't count.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Madkal posted:

Finding a bike club that fits your style might be the thing.

The Sierra Club in San Diego had this pre-covid but it really hasn't returned.

I can ride fast but I won't ride in a pack because when I did that stuff eventually someone messes up and there's a crash.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

It seems wild. But, the NAACP, local residents, and city council/mayor all say they are definitely feeling it. It's also pretty hard to fake a bunch of dead bodies and shootings for an 80% increase in homicide.

It is definitely something unique to Oakland and pretty crazy. It doesn't seem to be happening anywhere else in the country to this degree.

It's an 80% increase of homicide compared to 2019, not compared to last year. Homicides in Oakland are actually down compared to 2022, as are most other categories of crime. The only categories that have noticeably increased in Oakland in 2023 are robbery and motor vehicle theft, and the latter is skyrocketing everywhere, not just in Oakland.

Why are robberies in Oakland in the first six months of 2023 happening at a somewhat greater rate than in the first six months of 2022, even though they dropped in other cities from the first half of 2022 to the first half of 2023? Just read that question back to yourself out loud and think about how specific and minor it is. It very well could be statistical noise.

Personally, I think this is more of the same old alarmist crime reporting from the media, blowing up minor statistical differences into a massive crisis Eight months of Oakland's crime rate trending differently from other nearby cities could very well just be an outlier.

Main Paineframe fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Aug 8, 2023

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Prism posted:

https://twitter.com/MikeSington/status/1688482767120838656

Maybe one day he will, but I'm not holding my breath. Still, it's pretty cathartic to watch!

It's ironic because he's practically deaf due to age and thinks the crowd is cheering for him. "WE LOVE YA! WE LOVE YA!"

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Main Paineframe posted:

It's an 80% increase of homicide compared to 2019, not compared to last year. Homicides in Oakland are actually down compared to 2022, as are most other categories of crime. The only categories that have noticeably increased in Oakland in 2023 are robbery and motor vehicle theft, and the latter is skyrocketing everywhere, not just in Oakland.

Why are robberies in Oakland in the first six months of 2023 happening at a somewhat greater rate than in the first six months of 2022, even though they dropped in other cities from the first half of 2022 to the first half of 2023? Just read that question back to yourself out loud and think about how specific and minor it is. It very well could be statistical noise.

Personally, I think this is more of the same old alarmist crime reporting from the media, blowing up minor statistical differences into a massive crisis Eight months of Oakland's crime rate trending differently from other nearby cities could very well just be an outlier.

Those aren't really minor statistical differences, though. The difference between 24% and 80% is well beyond the range of statistically significant. Especially, when San Francisco - which is geographically right next door - had a huge drop in crime after spiking in 2020-2022.

Oakland's crime rate trending differently from nearby cities IS an outlier. The fact that it is an outlier is what is strange.

Aegis
Apr 28, 2004

The sign kinda says it all.

If anyone wants context on Oakland specifically, I highly recommend The Riders Come Out at Night.

Oakland (like many communities) has a long history of police brutality and corruption, culminating in a scandal involving an intra-department gang known as "the Riders." Since the early 2000s, Oakland has operated under court supervision as part of the settlement in a large-scale civil rights lawsuit--with varying degrees of compliance or resistance to court orders.

In short, while I understand that the local NAACP is also joining in on the calls for more policing, I would be very hesitant to take Oakland's municipal government at its word where Oakland PD is concerned.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Clinical trials have shown that the new injectable weight loss drug WeGovy also reduced stroke and heart-related illnesses by about 20%.

Demand for these drugs was already going to be sky-high, but they are likely to explode even more now. Novo Nordisk's stock was up 19% today on the news.

Federal law currently bans Medicare from covering drugs solely to treat obesity. These findings will give a significant push to the effort to have Medicare cover these drugs.

However, they are expected to be massively expensive for the next several years due to shortages, inability to mass produce them on a level needed to provide them to everyone who would be eligible, and medical patent exclusivity periods. This one drug could increase Medicare's prescription expenditures by 12% per year if they decided to cover it and 2/3 of obese beneficiaries were to go on it.

Private insurers have been slowly moving to cover the drug for people without diabetes (it was originally a diabetes treatment), but currently only about 30% of insurers cover it. The significant knock off effects on other health indicators besides obesity will likely result in more insurers covering the drug as a treatment instead of a "cosmetic" improvement.

quote:

Doctors say the study may dramatically alter how health insurers cover the medications, similar to how they now covers bariatric surgeries, which have been shown to reduce cardiovascular risks.

In turn, widespread coverage of the drugs — even with their high price tags — could lead to lower health-care costs, with hospitals ultimately treating fewer patients suffering heart attacks and strokes, said Angela Fitch, an obesity doctor at Harvard Medical School and president of the Obesity Medicine Association.

“To have insurance companies and Medicare deny coverage to a patient is a different issue after this study is published,” Fitch said. “To deny [patients] access to treatment to prevent cardiovascular events is different than one that creates weight loss.”

She added: “This is a day to remember. This really a pivotal moment in the treatment of obesity.”

https://twitter.com/business/status/1688856362686545920

quote:

Obesity Drug Wegovy Cuts Risk of Heart Attacks and Strokes by 20%, Study Shows

Study finds 20% reduction in heart attacks and strokes

The weight-loss drug Wegovy reduced the risk of strokes, heart attacks and other cardiovascular problems by 20 percent among overweight people with a history of heart disease, its manufacturer said Tuesday, results that could increase demand and bolster the case for insurance coverage for the medication.

The better-than-expected result was announced by Danish pharmaceutical giant Novo Nordisk in a news release. Experts said the results of the trial, called Select, demonstrate that a new crop of drugs commonly used for weight loss, such as Wegovy, can provide important health benefits, not just cosmetic ones. Obesity should be treated as a serious illness given its contribution to other problems such as heart disease, specialists said.

Still, private insurers have been slow to cover Wegovy, and Medicare is barred from paying for weight-loss medications. With Wegovy costing more than $1,300 a month, the lack of insurance coverage has put the drug out of reach for many people.

The new study is important because it could shift perceptions of Wegovy and similar drugs, said Andres J. Acosta, an assistant professor of medicine and a consultant in gastroenterology and hepatology at the Mayo Clinic. Previously, the medications were highlighted for their cosmetic properties.

“It’s a new era,” Acosta said. “It matters because if you lose weight, your risk of dying is reduced.”

The data from the highly anticipated trial have not been published. The results released Tuesday were top-line findings, and the company said it would release detailed results at a conference later this year.

Steven Nissen, a Cleveland Clinic cardiologist, noted that while Tuesday’s announcement is promising, he wants to see the full results.

“We have to be cautious until we actually see the peer-reviewed publication,” said Nissen, who is leading a similar trial involving Eli Lilly’s Mounjaro, a diabetes drug commonly used for weight loss. “I cannot yet call this a blockbuster result because we have not seen the publication.”

The five-year study of Wegovy involved more than 17,600 patients who were at least 45 years old and were overweight or obese, with a history of heart disease. The trial compared the effects of a weekly injection of 2.4 milligrams of the drug with a placebo, along with standard care for prevention of major heart problems.

Wegovy, also known generically as semaglutide, mimics a naturally produced hormone — glucagon-like peptide-1 — that increases insulin production, suppresses appetite and slows the emptying of the stomach, creating a full feeling even when patients eat less. A previous study showed that another semaglutide drug, Ozempic, cut the risk of heart problems for diabetes patients at high risk for cardiovascular complications. The Select trial was the first large study of semaglutide in people who are obese but who do not have diabetes.

Ozempic is approved by the Food and Drug Administration for treating Type 2 diabetes, although doctors commonly prescribe it for weight loss.

Mounjaro, which is also called tirzepatide, mimics GLP-1 but also targets a second, closely related hormone called GIP, which also stimulates insulin production. Lilly is seeking FDA approval to market Mounjaro to manage weight loss as well as diabetes.

The results are likely to boost Novo Nordisk’s bottom line and could brighten prospects for makers of similar medications, according to industry analysts. The results are “close to best case scenario for SELECT, should add to Wegovy and obesity market momentum,” analysts at TD Cowen said in a note.

Martin Holst Lange, executive vice president for development at Novo Nordisk, called the Select trial a “landmark study” in the company’s statement.

“People living with obesity have an increased risk of cardiovascular disease, but to date there are no approved weight-management medications proven to deliver effective weight management while also reducing the risk of heart attack, stroke or cardiovascular death,” Lange said, adding that the new information “has the potential to change how obesity is regarded and treated.”

The company said it will seek permission from U.S. and European regulators to add the cardiovascular benefits to the drug’s label. That would allow the manufacturer to promote the drug for that use.

Novo Nordisk said the drug appeared to be safe and well-tolerated, in line with previous trials. But as more people turn to blockbuster diabetes and obesity drugs, some are experiencing uncomfortable and sometimes painful side effects along with the benefits of reduced food cravings and the loss of substantial weight.

Doctors say the study may dramatically alter how health insurers cover the medications, similar to how they now covers bariatric surgeries, which have been shown to reduce cardiovascular risks.

In turn, widespread coverage of the drugs — even with their high price tags — could lead to lower health-care costs, with hospitals ultimately treating fewer patients suffering heart attacks and strokes, said Angela Fitch, an obesity doctor at Harvard Medical School and president of the Obesity Medicine Association.

“To have insurance companies and Medicare deny coverage to a patient is a different issue after this study is published,” Fitch said. “To deny [patients] access to treatment to prevent cardiovascular events is different than one that creates weight loss.”

She added: “This is a day to remember. This really a pivotal moment in the treatment of obesity.”

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Aug 8, 2023

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Cimber posted:

Evangelicals are very loud and outspoken, while a lot of mainline Protestants and Catholics are probably C&E types, (Christmas and Easter).

The topic of the conversation is why that might be.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

It's wild that so many Americans need a pill or injectable or some pharma solution for weight loss. I understand *some* people really need solutions like this. But weight loss for most people isn't some obscure process. It's a matter of eating less and moving more, period. Too many Americans are just outright lazy.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Cimber posted:

FWIW, I joined a fraternal organization (The Freemasons) exactly for what you wrote above. People don't really socialize any more like they used too. Chatting on facebook and discord doesn't count.

I volunteer at two NGOs not because I'm more idealistic or moral than most but specifically and deliberately to get out, meet people and do things. I have sort of come to see it as something I just have to do for my wellbeing like working out...

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Clinical trials have shown that the new injectable weight loss drug WeGovy also reduced stroke and heart-related illnesses by about 20%.

Demand for these drugs was already going to be sky-high, but they are likely to explode even more now. Novo Nordisk's stock was up 19% today on the news.

Federal law currently bans Medicare from covering drugs solely to treat obesity. These findings will give a significant push to the effort to have Medicare cover these drugs.

However, they are expected to be massively expensive for the next several years due to shortages, inability to mass produce them on a level needed to provide them to everyone who would be eligible, and medical patent exclusivity periods. This one drug could increase Medicare's prescription expenditures by 12% per year if they decided to cover it and 2/3 of obese beneficiaries were to go on it.

Private insurers have been slowly moving to cover the drug for people without diabetes (it was originally a diabetes treatment), but currently only about 30% of insurers cover it. The significant knock off effects on other health indicators besides obesity will likely result in more insurers covering the drug as a treatment instead of a "cosmetic" improvement.

https://twitter.com/business/status/1688856362686545920

To be clear to all involved, most coverage of the study is basically press materials from Novo Nordisk. They're looking for full blockbuster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Man, I sure hope so. I was on Ozempic and my wife on Wegovy, but both our private insurance carriers have now begun denying because we don't have diabetes.

I don't mind in the sense that people with diabetes need the meds, but they work. I lost about 20 pounds with Ozempic, my wife (who has also been much more dedicated to lifestyle changes) has lost almost 50 pounds. Both within the last 8-9 months.