Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

tango alpha delta posted:

E: not quite, because I had to pay duty on top of that to import it into the Great White North.

close to $900 to get the 256gb version here because i had to import it myself, the 512 would've been too much for me :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Annath posted:

If it's verified, are you supposed to be using Experimental?

Are you using Vulkan or DX?

That's what all the internet sites said to do on launch day but I'll try all four combinations of Regular/Experimental/Vulkan/DX and see if one wins out.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Annath posted:

If it's verified, are you supposed to be using Experimental?

Are you using Vulkan or DX?

is it verified? last i checked it still had that yellow (!) and wasn't actually verified

illBilliam
Jan 8, 2006

Yes, BG3 is verified now. You shouldn't have to force compatibility for it anymore. I finally got around to starting it today and it worked fine.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Your Computer posted:

close to $900 to get the 256gb version here because i had to import it myself, the 512 would've been too much for me :negative:

Just looked at my purchase details; $655.20 (488.20 USD) and then 32.76 bucks import fees to ship to Canada for the 512. twenty percent off was too good for me NOT to buy it.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Aug 8, 2023

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

Never enough space:

It was very easy - it took about half an hour all told including copying+verifying the data from the old ssd.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Reminder that Broforce is a great deck game, and just received a huge free content update yesterday with new characters and campaign levels and is also just $3 right now to celebrate.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/274190/Broforce/

TJChap2840
Sep 24, 2009
I played that for a little bit with a friend but never came back to it. That’ll be my next deck game!

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Anyone tried Soulcalibur VI or the new Samurai Shodown on the Deck? Do either of them play smoothly without fps loss?

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
I'm having trouble getting my deck to cloud save at work so I can play at home, anyone got any tips? Like a cheap hotspot or portable storage or something.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Hotspot to your phone while at work or cloud save when you get home from work?

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Saoshyant posted:

Anyone tried Soulcalibur VI or the new Samurai Shodown on the Deck? Do either of them play smoothly without fps loss?

I've played both and they both play smoothly at 60fps but load slowly from an SD card. There's a noticeable difference in loading fights if you move the game to the internal SSD. Also they take up what I consider to be an unreasonable amount of space. I ended up uninstalling them and going to Marvel vs Capcom 3 for my deck fighting fix.

Edit: Also the DBZ fighting game works perfectly and plays great on deck, just need to change the Proton version.

Dramicus fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Aug 9, 2023

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Soul Calibur is only like 20GB isn't it?

I guess I've just gotten used to gigantic 60-100GB games.

Like Mortal Kombat 11 is like 104GB

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Soul Calibur isn't that bad, but Samurai Showdown is close to/over 40gb which I think is unreasonable for a fighting game. That's purely subjective though, and I'm comparing it to MvC3 which is like 3 gb. I have 167 games installed on my deck, so I tend to opt for "efficient" sizes over gargantuan 100gb games. It's just a weird thing I fixate on.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

jabro posted:

Yeah your phone might work.

Even the cheapest hotspots would probably cost more than just adding it on to your plan if it’s not already there.

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013

jabro posted:

The hotspot included with my plan seems to either not work or work randomly, and I dont drive so I would prefer not to carry my deck back and forth every day.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I use my iPhone for hotspot for steam sync, works perfectly

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

TheMopeSquad posted:

The hotspot included with my plan seems to either not work or work randomly, and I dont drive so I would prefer not to carry my deck back and forth every day.

Which cell company are you with?

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Do you have a dedicated hotspot device or something? Whenever I've needed to hotspot I just use my phone and it's always fine.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
so what's the timeline on a 4TB SSD being announced/released/reduced to a saneish price

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I swapped to my deck after a few nights of playing on my laptop and wondered why it was taking so long to sync my BG3 saves from the steam cloud thing, turns out I have 4gb of BG3 saves

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

90s Cringe Rock posted:

so what's the timeline on a 4TB SSD being announced/released/reduced to a saneish price

We barely just got 2TB in 2230, so probably a ways away.

History Comes Inside! posted:

I swapped to my deck after a few nights of playing on my laptop and wondered why it was taking so long to sync my BG3 saves from the steam cloud thing, turns out I have 4gb of BG3 saves

:eyepop: Holy poo poo.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

TheMopeSquad posted:

If you’re going to use a hotspot not through your cellular coverage it would be pretty cost inhibitive. Maybe if your work has WiFi piggyback off of that. But if you leave your Steam Deck at work and you can’t hotspot then your options are severely limited. Maybe a nearby coffee shop or another store nearby with free WiFi but then it’s getting into just not worth it territory.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

jabro posted:

If you’re going to use a hotspot not through your cellular coverage it would be pretty cost inhibitive. Maybe if your work has WiFi piggyback off of that. But if you leave your Steam Deck at work and you can’t hotspot then your options are severely limited. Maybe a nearby coffee shop or another store nearby with free WiFi but then it’s getting into just not worth it territory.

Well if you have spectrum you can get cell service for 29.99 a month and that comes with a hotspot.

Visible is $30 and it’s the same.

You’d just need a device to plug the sim into.

Obviously adding a hotspot on to your existing service should only be 10-20 so those are more expensive but it’s not a lot more.

Fwiw if you have T-Mobile or one of the companies that use their towers they block steam a lot of the times on the hotspot or even in a device I’ve found. I found this out when I was trying to figure out why it wouldn’t work.

They don’t block the blizzard launcher or epic though. :shrug:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Sounds like a job for a VPN. Tailscale is pretty easy to set up, copying and pasting some scripts from GitHub and then the web admin is straightforward.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I dropped my auto saves from 25 saves down to 5 because it was a bit crazy and mostly pointless.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Subjunctive posted:

Sounds like a job for a VPN. Tailscale is pretty easy to set up, copying and pasting some scripts from GitHub and then the web admin is straightforward.

My work has a guest wifi that I can connect my Deck to but it’s very locked down and they block VPNs outside of one specific one that i got working but it’s too slow for anything other than web browsing (and only works on Windows, can’t get it working on Deck).

VPNs in general have been very janky to work with on the deck. That said, Decky does has a VPN toggle for game mode which is very nice if you want to go down this road.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
A moment of silence for our northern american friends and their lovely ISPs

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Oh drat just took Tailscale for a spin and… it works? Wild stuff, this. And pretty easy to set up. Gonna have to dig in and see if it’s working working or “working” but this would be pretty loving awesome if it has legs.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Vic posted:

A moment of silence for our northern american friends and their lovely ISPs

Once you've become accustomed to unlimited data, it's a shock to deal with NA cell plans.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

All ISP’s are lovely. Ours are just even more lovely

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

My ISP kicks rear end tyvm

I’ve had to call them like 4 times in 10 years and every time I explained what I’d already done about the problem and then they just dealt with it instead of making me do all the troubleshooting all over again with them on the phone ‘just in case’

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

We just got bidirectional gigabit internet at our home last month just as we’re starting to get ready to sell the place and move :shepicide:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

My ISP kicks rear end tyvm

I’ve had to call them like 4 times in 10 years and every time I explained what I’d already done about the problem and then they just dealt with it instead of making me do all the troubleshooting all over again with them on the phone ‘just in case’

I got a free upgrade from my ISP recently because they dropped their cheapest 37gbps plan so everyone who was on it got bumped up to 72. I've also never had to call them ever. I send them money every month and they leave me the gently caress alone, just as it should be.

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
Alright after loving with it all morning, the cell hotspot is working it just wouldn't sync saves. I figured it might be because my PC is using beta updates so switched the deck to beta that seems to have worked. Then I pruned an rear end-ton of BG3 saves to save on bandwidth.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

So bg3 was running fine for me on the deck, but then it downloaded a shader cache update and all of a sudden then game looks and runs a whole lot worse? I've never had this happen to me with a game before. Is there any way to fix this?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

VPNs in general have been very janky to work with on the deck.

The hardest part of getting Tailscale to work was the systemd contortions to get it to always start on boot, but there’s also a Decky plugin to control it and it even provides the setup QR code. :shrug:

Weedle
May 31, 2006

just wrapped up deus ex: mankind divided. this was the first aaa game i played start to finish on the deck and it was honestly the exact experience i was hoping to get from this handheld. the game works perfectly and performs great, and i wouldn’t have been able to have this experience on any other device. a+

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Subjunctive posted:

The hardest part of getting Tailscale to work was the systemd contortions to get it to always start on boot, but there’s also a Decky plugin to control it and it even provides the setup QR code. :shrug:

Oh word? I’ll probably set that up next. It was weird earlier where it definitely work but what it passed through my exit node (my home PC) was sporadic. I could play D4 no problem but websites would take forever to load and stuff like Prism Launcher would not connect to Minecraft servers to authenticate my account. A promising start for sure I’ll have to read up on it some more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
I didn’t know people had data caps in 2023