Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Gripweed posted:

I thought Seed hate had cooled in recent years, I'm surprised to see it come raring back.

Really? I see casual poo poo talking of SEED all the time.

Only hate I've seen cooled over the years is Wing. Now it feels like people either love Wing ironically or unironically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Gripweed posted:

I thought Seed hate had cooled in recent years, I'm surprised to see it come raring back.
Because it wasn't really hate for Seed, which is decently regarded, but hate for Destiny, which this trailer flashes back to and recaps extensively, bringing all the bad memories back.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's mid, its ideas exceed its ability to execute them well.

Edit: regarding Wing

Seed and Destiny are both trash. Their greatest crime is being to impactful to be forgettable forcing the viewer to live with the vague aftertaste of poor plot, dull character, and ugly art for the rest of their lives.

Gaius Marius fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Aug 8, 2023

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Gripweed posted:

I'm probably one of the most SEED-friendly posters in this thread and I still think that most of these previews and bits of promo art are so off-putting and ugly that they look like shitposts.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

Really? I see casual poo poo talking of SEED all the time.

Only hate I've seen cooled over the years is Wing. Now it feels like people either love Wing ironically or unironically.

As I've said before (appropriate) Wing is in an endless waltz of love, hated, and ironic love.

SEED's constantly talked about because it was a massive, massive hit in Japan, but it's also, well, not that good, with a lot of repeated beats from the original Gundam. It also has a visual style that aged like fine milk, further polarizing opinions.

The movie finally coming out just means the old attitudes fire up again.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

ImpAtom posted:

Although it looks like Cagalli has a new voice actress.

Huh, how about that. I knew Shindo Naomi basically stopped voicing her for something like a decade before eventually coming back, but you're right, Cagalli is credited with a new actor. I doubt the full story behind what happened there is ever going to be told, but given it seems like something made her stop playing the character I guess I shouldn't be too surprised Shindo apparently took the opportunity to completely wash her hands of the role. Best wishes to Mori Nanako, maybe she'll get lucky and Cagalli will do something besides cry in the movie.

As for SEED and its reputation I can't really think of many discussions about SEED (here or elsewhere) that are all that positive about it. Some shows and movies get reevaluated more positively with time, but SEED seems like it won't be getting a glow up anytime soon.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
This movie will personally attack me by loving up Cagali. I feel it in my bones.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/Gen_Ironicus/status/1688755779770171392

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

In non-SEED news, UC Engage is coming out in English.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I think all the Hirai-haters just need to watch s-CRY-ed. Then they'll like his stuff.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Unironically while hirai isn't my favorite artist or anything in the best of cases, SEED just looks way worse than most anything else he's worked on. Decent amount of stuff with him involved that's way better visually and in general.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Gripweed posted:

I think all the Hirai-haters just need to watch s-CRY-ed. Then they'll like his stuff.

I love s-CRY-ed, watched it religiously on adult swim back in the day. SEED looks so much worse it's unreal.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It's also easy to remember you're seeing weighted opinions when it comes to SEED stuff. Like if you look at the comments for the trailer it was (at least last I checked) full to the brim of people super excited to see it. Segments of the fanbase really hate SEED but it did a lot better with younger viewers (who are now old enough to have the nostalgia) and women.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Those heads look like they’re smooshed into the helmets, like their heads are proportionally too big for the helmets they’re wearing.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

NikkolasKing posted:

Once I realized that Wing was secretly (or not secretly at all, if you were a teenage girl) a shoujo anime, everything clicked into place. I have to give it insane amounts of credit for tricking my stupid male teenage brain into thinking it was a shonen/mecha anime. Relena is a goddamn madlad protagonist and I'll be damned if she isn't going to tame some wild boys and make them into decent husbands.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Gripweed posted:

I've been exposed to a fair bit of Majestic Prince through SRW30 and even that looks fine

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/ArtsMoser/status/1688842372333899777?t=QZkGwkqnjSGiuyWvrWMqXw&s=19

Everything's coming up Guntank!

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

Hunter Noventa posted:

In non-SEED news, UC Engage is coming out in English.

Shame it's not coming to the UK, I would have liked it give it a look.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
How bad is the monetization in UC Engage? I've never actually messed with any similar games.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

As someone else who's also mostly okay with SEED (not so much Destiny), I'm not sure how the hell this character design/implementation got approved as presumably a high priority Gundam work. Like, in relative timeframe terms the original TV show looks notably better despite early 00s CGI ugliness - honestly I might even say in actual terms, because wow are those faces bad.

Maybe it's just an early version or something, and the actual release will look far better, but as-is the character work just looks terrible. Hell, ignore the faces for a moment and go look at that bowing scene again.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
I really, really hope Shinn’s entire dynamic with Kira now is “we’ve been trying it your way for two goddamn years and things are still hosed! It’s even worse than before, what the gently caress Kira”

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

LuiCypher posted:

Once I realized that Wing was secretly (or not secretly at all, if you were a teenage girl) a shoujo anime, everything clicked into place. I have to give it insane amounts of credit for tricking my stupid male teenage brain into thinking it was a shonen/mecha anime. Relena is a goddamn madlad protagonist and I'll be damned if she isn't going to tame some wild boys and make them into decent husbands.

its this

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

LuiCypher posted:

In all seriousness, I do like to see Wing as a hybrid of G and a more typical Gundam so your interpretation fits.

Also I love how everyone recognizes Relena is the best character nowadays. I've felt that way ever since my first go through the show.
https://twitter.com/SpaceQueenEmily/status/1213328056024215552?s=20

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

MechaX posted:

I really, really hope Shinn’s entire dynamic with Kira now is “we’ve been trying it your way for two goddamn years and things are still hosed! It’s even worse than before, what the gently caress Kira”

It looks like Shinn's dynamic is going to be "woohoo! I love my gf! yipee!"

also, Athrun is homeless.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
I saw someone describe Athrun's outfit as Punished Columbo and that's all I can see now.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Gripweed posted:

seriously what is with their arm lengths

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Thunderbirds puppet proportions.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I sure hope the mech designs are good because we're going to be seeing them in every fuckin' SRW for a decade.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Arc Hammer posted:

Thunderbirds puppet proportions.

Doesn't Japan love Thunderbirds? That might be intentional.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

Gripweed posted:

Kira and Lacus look high in this.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

wdarkk posted:

Doesn't Japan love Thunderbirds? That might be intentional.

I'd he more surprised if they didn't. Everyone should love Thunderbirds.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

ImpAtom posted:

I sure hope the mech designs are good because we're going to be seeing them in every fuckin' SRW for a decade.

Oh, buddy.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Gripweed posted:

Shinn also refuses to respect monarchy. This is looking like everything's coming up Shinn!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Also, all the people who complain about Bandai not doing enough Master Grades are going to be happy.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

LuiCypher posted:

Dubious interpretation of protagonist aside, Relena has essentially no relationship with any of the other boys beyond Heero; she didn't even have much of a relationship with Quatre, who at least spent some time protecting the Sanc Kingdom along with Noin. poo poo, she doesn't even have much of a relationship with her brother really. Dorothy is probably the only other wild character she has any real relationship to in the show. She won't be taming any of the Wing boys beyond Heero, and even then, the fact she kept chasing him after he promised to kill her suggests she doesn't want to tame him anyway. She definitely wants him to be her husband, but probably not to tame him since she seems to be attracted to his insanity and wildness.

Gripweed posted:

I never really paid attention to it before, but while SEED gets a good bit of kudos online for it's fashion sense I cannot bring myself to like those trousers. They have a separate boot cut flare at the end, but bunch up before it in a way that makes it look almost like a separate article of clothing slipped over the trousers or something, akin to giaters and the result is pretty awful in my opinion. Are they just turned down high boots, since Lunamaria seems to be doing that? Hers looks a bit different in shape though, as well as not being attached to trousers. Are capri pants the fashion in CE?

tsob fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Aug 9, 2023

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

Meer's fashion is a whole physics problem in Destiny, on top of being ugly imo.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Tulalip Tulips posted:

Meer's fashion is a whole physics problem in Destiny, on top of being ugly imo.

Her skirt is actually made of LK99.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

https://twitter.com/chadvision/status/1688997325782323200?s=46&t=Kvrtm8Z7EDHJh2shvTgsOg

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

seed's mech designs are mostly good i think. i prefer the regular freedom and the aegis to the strike freedom and infinite justice but they're still decent, and i really like the destiny. the impulse is a bit bland tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
There's something about how angular the SEED designs are that puts them off for me. I feel I'd like some of the mobile suits better if they were done in a different art style while retaining their same basic shape, if that makes sense.