Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Bottom Liner posted:

Sandy is a transphobic anti vaxxer

https://imgur.io/a/1vyMR7L

Well that is no good. Glad I never purchased anything from them. The Cthulhu mythos has quite a bit of history with people having exceptionally bad takes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Kwyndig posted:

Oh it's a good thing for KS backers, certainly. It's just a terrible business decision that only earns them goodwill and costs them thousands of dollars with no guarantee of future revenue. Catalyst could use the good press though since they still have a bit of stink on them from the embezzling thing, so maybe they feel it's a good deal in exchange for first dibs on Petersen's future output.

I'm not really sure a lot of people even know or care about the embezzlement stuff anymore given it was like a decade or so ago.

I also don't think it's inherently a terrible idea from a business perspective because for all of Catalyst's many faults, "leaving customers hanging" isn't (as far as I'm aware) one of them. Poor treatment of employees and shoving half-assed work into print are bad but are distinct from "isn't actually delivering what people have ordered" which is Petersen's problem.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Got this happening in a day:

https://gamefound.com/projects/martin-wallace/fighting-fantasy

Sounds very much like my cup of tea...

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

Marmaduke! posted:

This is now live and it looks pretty interesting! Somehow I missed out on these books in my youth, but they seem pretty cool!

The only thing I'm a little sad about is the lack of interesting dice to chuck; everyone just rolls a pair of d6.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Marmaduke! posted:

This is so bizarre. I love Wallace designs and he can definitely do this sort of thing given Runebound... but I'm not sure you *improve* Jackson and Livingstone by turning their gamebooks into a board game. This just seems like a lot of work to reproduce gamebooks that were beer-and-pretzels in-your-lap simple.

Feels a bit of a waste of a Wallace design to me.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I think for me it'll be nice to share the experience with the missus. There was a Port Royale expansion that was basically a story adventure, unfortunately it didn't really work but my wife loved it, so this should be the best of both worlds. Now where's my credit card...

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

fischtick posted:

This is now live and it looks pretty interesting! Somehow I missed out on these books in my youth, but they seem pretty cool!

The only thing I'm a little sad about is the lack of interesting dice to chuck; everyone just rolls a pair of d6.

In book form there was a grid of numbers in the back that you were supposed to poke at randomly if you just had the book and no dice.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Fairly sure those books are why Final Fantasy is called Final Fantasy too.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

inferis posted:

In book form there was a grid of numbers in the back that you were supposed to poke at randomly if you just had the book and no dice.

I thought Fighting Fantasy had the dice pairs printed at the bottom of the right-hand pages so you could flip through and get a roll? Always wondered if those had a true 2d6 distribution.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Antivehicular posted:

I thought Fighting Fantasy had the dice pairs printed at the bottom of the right-hand pages so you could flip through and get a roll? Always wondered if those had a true 2d6 distribution.

I could be mixing it up with lone wolf or another game book but I thought it was ff.

Anyway if there’s any other game book fans I thought the first book of legendary kingdoms was great. I think they have three so far out of a planned six and it’s a very open world design.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Azubah posted:

Fairly sure those books are why Final Fantasy is called Final Fantasy too.

Final Fantasy got its name because it was going to be the last game Square made before folding. Then it became a monster hit and the company was saved.

xK1
Dec 1, 2003

Jedit posted:

Final Fantasy got its name because it was going to be the last game Square made before folding. Then it became a monster hit and the company was saved.

Sakaguchi has actually denied that, he said they just wanted something that abbreviated to FF and were originally going to name it Fighting Fantasy. They only changed it when they found out about the books. The "it was going to be the final game" theory was made up after the fact, all they wanted was a word that started with F.

https://www.famitsu.com/news/201505/24079276.html

quote:

ちなみに、『ファイナルファンタジー』というタイトルは、“FF(エフエフ)”という、アルファベットで表記できる、かつ4音で発音できる略称で呼ぶことを前提に名づけられたもの。最初は“ファイティングファンタジー”というタイトルにするつもりだったが、同名のボードゲームがあったため、変更したという。世間では、「これが最後のプロジェクトという心づもりで作ったから“ファイナル”だ」という理由から名づけられたのだ、という説が広まっているが、坂口氏は「確かに当時は背水の陣だったけれど、Fで始まる単語ならなんでもよかった」と、その説を否定した。

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

How should we advertise our poker deck + chips kickstarter?

Answer: Not like this

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Did they ever address their sexual assault problem?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Not particularly from what I've seen, but I haven't gone out of my way to read up on how that got resolved.

Bobby and Doug seem to be the same dipshits they've always been.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Lumbermouth posted:

Did they ever address their sexual assault problem?

Not really, no. I’m not going to be buying anything more from them because of it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

xK1 posted:

Sakaguchi has actually denied that, he said they just wanted something that abbreviated to FF and were originally going to name it Fighting Fantasy. They only changed it when they found out about the books. The "it was going to be the final game" theory was made up after the fact, all they wanted was a word that started with F.

https://www.famitsu.com/news/201505/24079276.html

Well, don't blame me, I've been deceived by industry journalists.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN

Marmaduke! posted:

I kind of like the look of these and the price is ok but would there be any replayability in them? It’s seems like it would be kind of linear and the only reason to play again would be to take someone/s else through the story with you.

I don’t think I ever reread a choose-your-own-adventure book - beyond flicking to a page, finding I’m dead, and reversing course.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Kinda reminds me of the Choose Your Own Adventure board games where they wrote out the book on cards.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/251420/choose-your-own-adventure-house-danger
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/278297/choose-your-own-adventure-war-evil-power-master

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

inferis posted:

I could be mixing it up with lone wolf or another game book but I thought it was ff.

Anyway if there’s any other game book fans I thought the first book of legendary kingdoms was great. I think they have three so far out of a planned six and it’s a very open world design.

Poking a chart in the back was Lone Wolf. And that was the official resolution mechanism, dice weren't involved.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I so miss the golden age of those RPG hybrid books, I had Lone Wolf Book 4 and 5 and Deathtrap Dungeon and Space Assassin. They were way better than they had any right to be; the sort of gritty fantasy tone they all shared (despite being different book series, by three different authors) made such an impression on me.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Those were my #1 stop at a bookstore growing up whenever I had a fistful of crumpled birthday money :shepspends:

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Kreel Manor: Citadel of Horrors, The Dungeon Crawl Card Game

New one from the Gloom of Kilforth/Veilwrath designers, set in the same universe, but a different game style. Closer to Veilwrath mechanics than Gloom of Kilforth mechanics. 1-3 players or 4 players with an additional character expansion, has a couple of gameplay videos on the page.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Gonna link the Project Aon website, where you can play browser versions and download eReader files of all the Lone Wolf books (with the expressed permission of Joe Dever)

There are Android apps that combine the books and character sheet/mechanical stuff too, but I've never used them.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
The bad thing about the Android App is that (at least when I used it a near decade ago) it auto-generated your combat stat, which never changed over any of the books, and then auto-resolved combats.

Well, little did I know but my character got the worst combat stat possible.

There was a fight in book 8 or so that I basically couldn't win (I figured out the odds, it was 1:290 or something crazy). And everytime I died I had to speedrun back to that fight again, which was on a critical path. Such a terrible experience that left such a stain on my Lone Wolf memories. I never finished.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Infinitum posted:

How should we advertise our poker deck + chips kickstarter?

Answer: Not like this

“maybe it’ll give your tastebuds a royal flush” :psyduck:

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Received Heckin Hounds today. Kinda disappointed how little artwork there is. What’s there is good but it’s not that much.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.
Hey all! We've been running for about a week and I wanted to spread the word about The Yellow Curtain - An Experimental RPG. A game about fiction, performance, reality, and the way their distinctions blur. With words by Emmy "cavegirl" Allen and work by the astounding new Gnosis Library Collective, we're working to bring an awesome project to life and help start up a great RPG co-op. All proceeds go to the artists, as well as helping establish startup capital for the cooperative. PLUS we're shipping worldwide - The Yellow King's reach extends endlessly!

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

Invalid Validation posted:

Received Heckin Hounds today. Kinda disappointed how little artwork there is. What’s there is good but it’s not that much.

I can definitely imagine a version with unique art of each card of each suit, but I love these heckin pups and would die for them. Having unique art of each card would have so many more pups, which would be great, but I love the idea of them being 6 very specific pups. So much so that I'm working on a thematic sequel game.

I believe one of the appeals of picking up the game was a game with minimal art. It's been pretty minimal from the beginning. The original prototype was 6 Google photos images. After that was stock art from a free stock site.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Yea I don’t know why I expected more, guess I just wanted more cool rear end art.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Anyone heard of the dialect rpg kickstsrter? Turns out my husband bought in a year and a half ago and it just arrived and I have no idea how good/bad it's going to be.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I've played Dialect before and had a good time. It was quite fun to go from forming the language to actually speaking it by the end. It's more of a free-form world-building RPG but I think overall it's an enjoyable experience if you like con-langs and etymology.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Anyone have any thoughts on this Ascendancy board game kickstarter?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/matthewmeeple/ascendancy-0/description

At first glance it seems to be my jam as a medium-heavy thematic coop with excellent replay-ability. But it also seems like it's trying to do way too much? It's a worker placement. It's a euro economic sim. It's 4X with individualized tech trees. It's coop and also solo and also competitive. It's got legacy mechanics and a campaign. Options for hidden role social deduction too? I'm surprised there's no LCG deck building and escape room puzzles for dungeons. But even with the rules posted and video demos, I can't decide whether it's an over baked pile of crap or not. Plus the campaign is the designer's first kickstarter which rings some alarm bells.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees

Tekopo posted:

I've played Dialect before and had a good time. It was quite fun to go from forming the language to actually speaking it by the end. It's more of a free-form world-building RPG but I think overall it's an enjoyable experience if you like con-langs and etymology.

Thanks, langauages are for sure my husband's thing (speaks 6 of them) and I can speak two. I just wasn't sure how actually good the gameplay was going to be.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

iceyman posted:

Anyone have any thoughts on this Ascendancy board game kickstarter?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/matthewmeeple/ascendancy-0/description

At first glance it seems to be my jam as a medium-heavy thematic coop with excellent replay-ability. But it also seems like it's trying to do way too much? It's a worker placement. It's a euro economic sim. It's 4X with individualized tech trees. It's coop and also solo and also competitive. It's got legacy mechanics and a campaign. Options for hidden role social deduction too? I'm surprised there's no LCG deck building and escape room puzzles for dungeons. But even with the rules posted and video demos, I can't decide whether it's an over baked pile of crap or not. Plus the campaign is the designer's first kickstarter which rings some alarm bells.

being a first campaign and the 74 page rule book give me pause. but it does look a lot more complete than some other kickstarters, and they have delivery as only a year away

tough one

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

CODChimera posted:

being a first campaign and the 74 page rule book give me pause. but it does look a lot more complete than some other kickstarters, and they have delivery as only a year away

tough one

If it’s good, you’ll be able to buy it with some delay.

Question for the thread: has there ever been a truly great kickstarted game that was only available on its initial Kickstarter and never had any other editions made or sold or re kickstarted?

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

That's the thing though. The designer has explicitly and repeatedly stated that this game won't be available at retail later barring brick and mortar stores buying a few copies to sell through the kickstarter itself. Because this is their first campaign, they are being very strict on limiting the scope which is a point in their favor. I'm sure if the game is good, there will be an opportunity in the future to get it. But realistically that would be years later (2+ years to deliver on this kickstarter, another 2+ years after that for a second printing?). Normally I do wait for retail with these things but I really don't think that will be an option here.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

iceyman posted:

That's the thing though. The designer has explicitly and repeatedly stated that this game won't be available at retail later barring brick and mortar stores buying a few copies to sell through the kickstarter itself. Because this is their first campaign, they are being very strict on limiting the scope which is a point in their favor. I'm sure if the game is good, there will be an opportunity in the future to get it. But realistically that would be years later (2+ years to deliver on this kickstarter, another 2+ years after that for a second printing?). Normally I do wait for retail with these things but I really don't think that will be an option here.

That’s a desperately bad red flag. Literally no one with a good game decides to make it Kickstarter only. Never ever ever happened in history. Do not back.

Edit they Kickstart because they’ve approached multiple publishers and not liked the numbers. And even then most creatives bite the bullet to start.

Edit edit: has dude been involved in production of anything of note. Anything approximating a board game? any other rpg? Any references? Anything involving book printing? Anything involving marketing?

fr0id fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Aug 21, 2023

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

fr0id posted:

That’s a desperately bad red flag. Literally no one with a good game decides to make it Kickstarter only. Never ever ever happened in history. Do not back.

Edit they Kickstart because they’ve approached multiple publishers and not liked the numbers. And even then most creatives bite the bullet to start.

Edit edit: has dude been involved in production of anything of note. Anything approximating a board game? any other rpg? Any references? Anything involving book printing? Anything involving marketing?

He's just a nerd with a passion for games!

I get what you're saying though. I suspect they went kickstarter because the game is way too overly huge and ambitious to sell a price point anywhere near acceptable to retail. They would have had to compromise on their "vision". Now I'm just debating whether to hedge my bet with access to the pledge manager.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Man, I could not disagree more with the idea that good games are never crowdfunding exclusive. There's a specific sort of product that appeals to retail distribution - good margins with a price tag that people will be willing to pay without a lot of second guessing, wide audience, can fit a decent number of copies on the shelf, etc. Very little of that has anything to do with whether a game is good, and one of the things that is actually good about crowdfunding is its ability to connect more niche games directly to the audiences that will appreciate them.

As for Ascendancy - I think it's reasonable to have concerns about the dude's ability to deliver, and I'm not entirely sure there myself. But some of the level of ambition is a little overblown the way people are talking about it. Like...it being solo, coop, competitive and potentially social deduction? Those are all the same game with pretty much the same rules and mechanics. It just has the option of doing team games with or without hidden teams, or replacing one or more human players with bots. (Which have multiple difficulties so they're easier as an extra player in a PvP game and harder if you're doing coop or solo.) And the "legacy" thing is basically a couple minor between-game rewards and getting certain results "unlocks" new scenarios (he was quick to say you can just play whatever scenarios if you'd rather).

There is a TTS module to try for yourself if you're on the fence about the design. It seems fairly solid if a bit overstuffed to me. (Mostly in terms of the number of directions you can go with your play meaning you can essentially ignore entire mechanics if that's not your strategy that game. But that's also kinda cool? IDK.) Like I say, I'm more worried about production logistics etc. (I haven't backed yet, but I'm debating it.)

malkav11 fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Aug 21, 2023