Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

EasilyConfused posted:

That sentence could be read two different ways.

Post/username

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

I wouldn't be surprised if one was able to buy a rusty Russian nuke from the Strategic Rocket Forces for a pallet of vodka before this war kicked off.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Gonna get wild in next few years when any scammer can have voice AI call tens of thousands of people an hour impersonating the president, Mr beast, the local fire dept, etc and engage them in passable conversation. Wonder if unknown calls will have to be auto blocked by default.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

McGavin posted:

Chemistry student? A disgruntled biology student could do way worse. Everyone is looking for explosives, nobody's looking for prions or viruses.

Prion diseases scare the poo poo out of me. My good friend works in biomed stuff and her PhD research was focused on prion diseases in humans (the same lab does a lot of work on CWD and Mad cow aka BSE), and it's terrifying how resilient and easily spread they can be. CWD is a good example, in the right conditions a patch of soil with CWD prions can last for years. They survive freezing, and it can take hours of 900°F temperatures to denature the prion protein.

We are lucky AS gently caress that there isn't (yet) a variant of a human prion protein disease with the properties of CWD circulating. It would cause Stephen King's The Stand superflu levels of devastation.

.... And there's already some preliminary research that shows that monkeys can catch the disease with prolonged exposure to CWD proteins. :yikes:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Mederlock posted:

.... And there's already some preliminary research that shows that monkeys can catch the disease with prolonged exposure to CWD proteins. :yikes:

I would simply not expose the monkeys to CWD proteins.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Isn't it super hard for prion diseases to spread because unlike an evolved bacteria/virus they have no contagion mechanism?

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

The Lone Badger posted:

Isn't it super hard for prion diseases to spread because unlike an evolved bacteria/virus they have no contagion mechanism?

Typically, yes, lots of them require direct contact with brain tissues. But CWD is unusually prolific as it sheds prion proteins at really high rates via saliva, feces, blood, urine, etc.. It still requires a contact transmission or fluid exchange, but due to the very long lived and robust nature of the proteins and the difficulty of detection, CWD stands out as an unusually pathogenic prion disease. And a prion disease with those characteristics in humans would be.. frightening.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Stultus Maximus posted:

It's way easier to make explosives through common lab chemicals than breed a virus.

You don't need to start with a live virus. Besides, there are loads of other things you could do with access to a decent lab and a death wish. Biological poo poo is far more terrifying than explosives.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

The Door Frame posted:

I feel like a lot of really bad things are really easy if you're bold enough. Full sized, fully loaded tanks of oxygen and acetylene can be acquired for a few hundred bucks if you have a vehicle with something resembling an enclosure for them

A welding truck loving exploded at a construction site across the street from my apartment the other week. That's some poo poo you don't want to play stupid games with for sure.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Acetylene can spontaneously explode (as a monopropellant) if stored in the wrong kind of tank.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

McGavin posted:

You don't need to start with a live virus. Besides, there are loads of other things you could do with access to a decent lab and a death wish. Biological poo poo is far more terrifying than explosives.

I do believe getting the sequences for the really spicy stuff is controlled.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Kazinsal posted:

A welding truck loving exploded at a construction site across the street from my apartment the other week. That's some poo poo you don't want to play stupid games with for sure.

My brother is a journeyman welder and has been in the field for about 20 years. He has some terrifying hazmat and safety stories from welding shop oopsies, like someone bleeding nearly empty tanks inside the shop while another equally illiterate someone started grinding nearby, or being assigned to cut up scrap diesel fuel lines with a torch that he had been assured up and down were drained but were not, or man vs. milling machine, man vs. dragline cable and on it goes. When folks say that safety regulations are written in blood, they ain't kidding.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Did someone say acetylene?!
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/fatal-massey-explosion-he-didnt-realise-he-had-made-a-bomb/VEFCQZWHW55WU7LCFX2JGUID3U/

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Aren't you supposed to cap off liquid-fuel lines and flood them with inert gas (from your arc-welding gear) before you start work on them? Merely being drained isn't good enough.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

The Lone Badger posted:

Aren't you supposed to cap off liquid-fuel lines and flood them with inert gas (from your arc-welding gear) before you start work on them? Merely being drained isn't good enough.

In some ways drained is actually worse than full - liquid just burns, gas can cause an explosive mixture.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
An optics factory in Moscow just blew up.

Probably a coincidence or a backed up toilet.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Just when you thought the Optics of the war couldn't get any worse

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

something else is having a spicy time in the moscow outskirts

https://twitter.com/Sota_Vision/status/1689184117093527553

i love the lady at 0:15 giving no fucks whatsoever

ed: looks to be the same thing actually? mine says that there was previously a hit on an optics factory, but other tweets indicate that the factory is in Sergievy Posad

Qtotonibudinibudet fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Aug 9, 2023

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
Somebody vented too much acetylene.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I told you putting the smoking room next to the acetylene storage was a bad idea!!!

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

It appears to have made a Spectacle of itself. :dadjoke:

Much like the country. :byetankie:

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

The government is proffering the illusion that it was a boiler explosion.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
This has got to be a really big deal, right? That's a specialized production facility that you wouldn't have more than a few of, yeah?

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
What were they boiling, Hydrazine?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Antigravitas posted:

Possibly 122mm shells?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Kesper North posted:

:hmmyes:

Ever been to a farm? They're full of ammonium nitrate AND unsupervised children! Why meth labs turn up on farms so much, too.

when you order a kilo of dangerous chemicals you get put on a watchlist, when you order a train car of dangerous chemicals you get a train car of dangerous chemicals

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Despite the subject matter that's actually a great photo.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Antigravitas posted:

Looking at the videos of the aftermath made me really wonder what they were doing there. I don't think a drone could have carried that much explosives and I can't think of why an optics factory would have that much of energetic stuff present. Seemed more like a car bomb.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
I assume making high-end glass and coatings uses some wacky chemicals, if you told me it required them to have some big tanks of volatile stuff I wouldn't doubt it.

e: I mean, also ~Russia~ so if you said it was actually an off the books munitions storage facility I could believe that too.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
UPDATE:

fatherboxx posted:

Apparently there was a ... small pyrotechnics factory in a nearby building that provided Russian military with fireworks for various celebrations

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Saukkis posted:

Looking at the videos of the aftermath made me really wonder what they were doing there. I don't think a drone could have carried that much explosives and I can't think of why an optics factory would have that much of energetic stuff present. Seemed more like a car bomb.

I think there was an artillery ammo plant nearby.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Fearless posted:

My brother is a journeyman welder and has been in the field for about 20 years. He has some terrifying hazmat and safety stories from welding shop oopsies, like someone bleeding nearly empty tanks inside the shop while another equally illiterate someone started grinding nearby, or being assigned to cut up scrap diesel fuel lines with a torch that he had been assured up and down were drained but were not, or man vs. milling machine, man vs. dragline cable and on it goes. When folks say that safety regulations are written in blood, they ain't kidding.

Shop work is really dangerous if you think about it for too long, but honestly some of the most dangerous things are buffers, belts, wire wheels, and grinders. We get so comfortable around them, it's easy to forget that they're spinning death machines that crave human blood and can spontaneously become shrapnel if you're unlucky

However safe I personally feel when working with an OA torch, it is amazing how dangerous the stuff actually is. A lot of modern acetylene regulators have a special flashback valve and a limiter at 15 PSI, because at about 16 PSI, it's enough pressure to auto-ignite and send flames back into the tank. Same if the tank isn't stood upright, liquid acetone can flow down the line, making the gas in those hoses very unstable and will also detonate. Or you could dent the tank and the gas collecting at the crack in the porous stone that acetylene permeates slowly turns the tank into an actual bomb. A lot of insurance companies offer big discounts for switching over to something stable, like MAP gas, because people will try to blow themselves up with a strange regularity, they don't need a comically unstable gas to make it any easier

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

RoyKeen posted:

I think there was an artillery ammo plant nearby.

I wonder if NSA Wizard will get the black bag treatment before they ask why the gently caress he missed

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Antigravitas posted:

Funny enough, hydrazine is commonly used as an oxygen scavenger for boiler feed water treatment.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

AlternateNu posted:

Remember that joke at the height of the war on terror that if the terrorists ever convinced a 90 year old lady to hide explosives in her wheelchair, we've already lost?

Welp :nallears: The MOST asymmetric warfare.

The first case like this in the US will be against a post office, a bank, or a Planned Parenthood/similar office.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Godholio posted:

The first case like this in the US will be against a post office, a bank, or a Planned Parenthood/similar office.

My moneys on a schoolboard meeting

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
children's hospitals are sadly pretty likely targets these days

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

My moneys on a HOA meeting

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Jimmy Smuts posted:

My moneys on a HOA meeting

would it even be a crime?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

That Works posted:

would it even be a crime?

I wouldn't vote guilty.