Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
"blokey bacchanal" wait, no that sounds fun. How do I make that un-fun. "Rugby bloke blokey bacchanal," there you go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Guavanaut posted:

They should just stop printing words imo.

Good advice for the Mail that.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Necrothatcher posted:

Please stop using the word "boozer" DM, it makes you sound so common and uneducated. In fact, stop with all the horrible slang words: guzzling, necking, scoffing.

Bit moody this morning are we? Maybe you're in need of a raunchy bonk

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

glomphing

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/mcnamarapd/status/1689211309324177409?s=46&t=ARI_L-v32Oind1-d9B3a3Q

Grim bit of infighting among the Starmerite psychopaths.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Guavanaut posted:

They should just stop printing words imo.
Could easily reduce the whole paper into pictures of things next to the emoji for how readers should feel about the thing, except there’s no eyes-bulging-from-head-and-steam-coming-from-ears emoji for Jeremy Corbyn or Meghan Markle

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

TACD posted:

Could easily reduce the whole paper into pictures of things next to the emoji for how readers should feel about the thing, except there’s no eyes-bulging-from-head-and-steam-coming-from-ears emoji for Jeremy Corbyn or Meghan Markle
🍖🤯😡🇬🇧

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

It's never going to be the property developer stood there with an empty petrol can and a burnt out match, is it?!

They will of course reach out to the local scallywags to burn down the troublesome old pub.

They did three in my town several years ago.

Only one has actually been built on.

Houses look alright, for what it's worth.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Why is it that the worst Labour MPs also seem to be cooperative members? What's the deal there?

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

TACD posted:

🌂

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/BBCPolitics/status/1689180356228857856

It's crazy how many people have been conditioned to believe the ECHR is a bad thing. Most people have no idea about its history, why it's there, what it does or even who was loving behind it. Many believe the convention is part of the EU that needs to be shaken off, and I can see the Tories easily being able to get away with leaving the ECHR before the next election. If we do leave, I also can't see Keith being interested in re-joining.

Human rights. Who needs 'em, eh?

Scary times... :(

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The manga carter has all the rights I imagine it gives me. :argh:

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

It's also one of the big steps towards dismantling the safeguards that prevent bringing back the death penalty in the UK.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
Our joke economy is eating poo poo but all they can talk about is BOTES.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Has kier committed to leaving the wonky house a pile of rubble yet?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

It's somewhat been absorbed into the EU to be fair, since the judgements are binding/enforceable for members but not otherwise.

That's also why I don't get why they don't just ignore it, it might require some legislative changes but it should be possible to make it effectively advisory. It's what Russia did for years.

I mean yes the real answer is it wouldn't look good, but hey.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Aug 9, 2023

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Because being a member of the Council of Europe might mean that the Council of Europe says "hey look at these corrupt assholes, doing all this corruption" and then people might hear about it.

They want permission to be flagrantly corrupt and boast about being corrupt without anyone saying "hey that's corrupt."

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

The Question IRL posted:

It's also one of the big steps towards dismantling the safeguards that prevent bringing back the death penalty in the UK.

crispix posted:

we have bloody hogs trotters worth of berries here on shitnami island and that's the way we likes it, and 'angins as well :bahgawd:

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

kecske posted:

isn't charles moore the 'corbyn wearing a tie shows his lust for power' guy
He's also 6 years older than Starmer (60 and 66). Although that's miraculous, Kieth looks around 50 and Moore looks like he's been confined to his castle for scaring the villagers again.

Also accidentally letting on that being a member of the house of lords is a retirement plan for rich cunts, and not something you need to be competent at or lern anything new.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

crispix posted:

we have bloody hogs trotters worth of berries here on shitnami island and that's the way we likes it, and 'angins as well :bahgawd:

Picked today, is it a hog worth?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
You'd need 30 10 litre berry buckets to have a hogshead of berries.

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.

Guavanaut posted:

You'd need 30 10 litre berry buckets to have a hogshead

unless you're a former PM.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

His Divine Shadow posted:

A hogshead is about 550L/454kg... get back to picking. :colbert:

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

His Divine Shadow posted:

Not even. That's only half a bowlsworth.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

Just Another Lurker posted:

A hogshead is about 550L/454kg... get back to picking. :colbert:

How loving big were pigs in olden times?!

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Shyrka posted:

In the 15th century, apparently quite large. :catstare:

Just the name for a very large wooden barrel.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Shyrka posted:

Behold Big Bill AKA HOGZILLA (AKA ur mum)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
And in the grand scope of history, that was one of the small ones

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Just go to your local annual farm show, if you have one. Pigs can get biiig.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Darth Walrus posted:

Just go to your local annual farm show, if you have one. Pigs can get biiig.

Plus, it feels good to get into a club that at least one former PM is barred from

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Just Another Lurker posted:

A hogshead is about 550L/454kg

And in this instance are we talking about an absolute unit?

:mmmhmm:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Behold Big Bill AKA HOGZILLA (AKA ur mum)

People were smaller back then though so for all I know that's a normal size pig.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Failed Imagineer posted:

Plus, it feels good to get into a club that at least one former PM is barred from
Liz Truss - Banned - Tried to enter a duck into the best chicken contest.
Boris Johnson - Banned - Tried to enter a duck.
Theresa May - Banned - Accidentally declared the show a Traveller site and had everyone arrested.
David Cameron - Banned - You know...
Gordon Brown - Allowed - Didn't show up.
Tony Blair - Banned - Bought 10 rounds at the air rifle range and shot a child.
John Major - Allowed - But confused with one of the llamas once.
Margaret Thatcher - Banned - Stole milk, attempted to privatize a cow.
Jim Callaghan - Allowed - Actually worked on a farm.
Harold Wilson - Allowed - Increased farm subsidies.
Edward Heath - Banned - Nonce.
Alec Douglas-Home - Allowed - But left office before the show happened.
Harold Macmillan - Banned - Called New Zealand an English farm and then ruined agriculture.
Anthony Eden - Banned - Turned up high on dexedrine and ate all the candy floss.
Winston Churchill - Banned - Turned up drunk with a revolver and shot the firefighters.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

https://twitter.com/SuellaBraverman/status/1688907783746318336
A Stain on the Legal Profession lmao

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Tory Manifesto 2024 - We will make lawyers illegal.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Guavanaut posted:

That's one way to beat Starmer

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Those rogue immigration lawyers at it again, winning 99% of appeal cases because the home office either rejected an applicant on spurious grounds, or simply didn't bother to send someone to the hearing.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Guavanaut posted:

A platform I can get behind tbh, but only if they start with Kieth

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

So, how long before you see newspapers or journalists on social media, quote or paraphrase Henry VI, Part 2. (Act IV Scene 2)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
Here's a question about a topic that I've been ruminating on for some time.

I'm a uni lecturer, and accessibility and disability issues has become an increasingly prevalent point of discussion in recent years. As I'm sure everyone is aware, the pandemic did a number on the mental health of a lot of secondary school and uni students, and we're still actively managing the fallout from that. At the same time, this has brought attention to longstanding EDI issues and encouraged discussions about how to improve conditions for students facing mental health or disability issues going forward. The comments that follow concern the most common conditions I and my colleagues encounter, anxiety disorders and ADHD, rather than other conditions such as autism.

The problem is that we as lecturers are now being pulled in two different directions. On the one hand, we are receiving growing guidance to provide accommodations to students with disabilities, which includes not calling on students during discussions, not requiring students to perform presentations, and relaxing or removing constraints in exam writing or oral exams. On the other, the problems posed by the widespread use of ChatGPT and similar AI platforms is pushing us back towards varieties of in-person evaluation, such as presentations and oral exams. With the prevalence of common mental health issues such as anxiety disorders and ADHD--and in my experience the numbers have ballooned over the last few years-- this tension is becoming untenable.

My question is, do we do a disservice to the large numbers of students with generalized anxiety, ADHD, and other common disabilities who are now asking for accommodations by eliminating these uncomfortable educational exercises? I don't have ADHD, but I have suffered from an anxiety disorder that has flared up to debilitating extremes throughout my life, and the way I made it through those difficult episodes was by seeking therapy and pushing myself to confront my fears. I feel like a boomer saying this, but my concern is that by providing more and more accommodations to a larger and larger percentage of students, we are not preparing them for the challenges of the real world. Am I totally off base?