Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Most of the designs look better the further they are from the actual show and its slipshod artwork and coloring. It has some supremely awkward designs even divorced from that like the Bird Gundam and Bacue. The OYW redux suits are beyond saving though, how you manage to gently caress up suits that have dozens of good variants already is beyond me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Gaius Marius posted:

Most of the designs look better the further they are from the actual show and its slipshod artwork and coloring. It has some supremely awkward designs even divorced from that like the Bird Gundam and Bacue. The OYW redux suits are beyond saving though, how you manage to gently caress up suits that have dozens of good variants already is beyond me.

It's me; I'm the weirdo who likes the CE ZAKUs and GOUFs. Which is strange, since I'm not even a fan of CE designs generally.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

tsob posted:

It's me; I'm the weirdo who likes the CE ZAKUs and GOUFs. Which is strange, since I'm not even a fan of CE designs generally.

Maybe that's the reason, it's so discordant with the standard CE fare. Although it feels more like the assumption of UC aesthetic upon a more standard CE suit than a design wholly derivative of UC design principles; that is to say, if you swapped the head and name it would feel like a CE suit without strong Zaku or Gouf influence compared to say a Jenice which has a base level of Zaku baked into it's design tied to its design.

Perhaps the fact it exists as a midpoint between the two is why the designs are hated so, and the pure fact of lazy derivation it is impossible to deny in them.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Gaius Marius posted:

Most of the designs look better the further they are from the actual show and its slipshod artwork and coloring. It has some supremely awkward designs even divorced from that like the Bird Gundam and Bacue.
The Gundam Seed dogs own, even if they are just zoids.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iv7ICLZQXF4

Who's a good boy? That's right, you're a good boy!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
replacing goufs with dogs is taking the gouf troop thing too far, imo.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
One of the biggest problems with SEED designs is the colouring. The combination of subdued earth tones and bright, garish highlights looks really ugly and plasticky, like they're GI Joe toys rather than giant sci-fi war machines, and also highlights how busy and cobbled-together the designs look. I'm not even going to blame this on digipaint technology, considering that there were shows from the same era like RahXephon that made the new medium work for them with competent application of colour. The SEED designs just look messy.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Gaius Marius posted:

I like how the Evolve version of the strike has basically just completely overridden the TV strike in literally everyone’s brain.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Arc Hammer posted:

There's something about how angular the SEED designs are that puts them off for me. I feel I'd like some of the mobile suits better if they were done in a different art style while retaining their same basic shape, if that makes sense.

I haven’t watched SEED, but whenever I’ve seen at the model kits, it’s like the designers gave them all 5 sets of the Nu Gundam’s funnels.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

I've been exposed to a fair bit of Majestic Prince through SRW30 and even that looks fine

I was in the same situation, only knowing about it through SRW30 but that just looks so bland and generic. Everyone looks like they came out of a template machine. No I didnt realize it was the same person, I just had a bad reaction to the characters art and writing.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Synthbuttrange posted:

I was in the same situation, only knowing about it through SRW30 but that just looks so bland and generic. Everyone looks like they came out of a template machine. No I didnt realize it was the same person, I just had a bad reaction to the characters art and writing.

In the show itself, MJP's cast are pretty much the opposite of bland. When animated, they have a ton of personality. It does not translate particularly well to SRW's VN-style story format, which is told almost entirely through a series of static portraits that leaves them as a bunch of generic anime teenagers in pilot suits alongside the rest of the generic anime teenagers in pilot suits.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

I think all the SEED MS designs are neat. v:shobon:v

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Just remembered the Amuro X Hello Kitty crossover where Kitty tanked a massive beam shot like a boss.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
I remember back in high school where I saw some art and thought that Athrun was starring in a new spinoff

Turns out it was just Fafner

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

Just remembered the Amuro X Hello Kitty crossover where Kitty tanked a massive beam shot like a boss.

The what

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doq6jXROYQg

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

https://twitter.com/TheOtaking/status/1689033862838407169?s=20

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
About a third of the way through Zeta I have become intensely aware of the two kinds of woman and one kind of man Tomino is attracted to. The man is incapable of being slick about it.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

I think this (along with the rest of the episodes where Hello Kitty gives Gundam the power of friendship) was also supposed to promote a festival thing celebrating both anniversaries, even with an appearance by Toru Furuya!

…in March 2020 :smith:

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

The Freedom Gundam remains a top tier protagonist suit and the Strike was very good too.

The faces in these previews are horrifying though, but I'm also going to hope it will be entertaining and not insulting like Destiny was.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Ohtori Akio posted:

About a third of the way through Zeta I have become intensely aware of the two kinds of woman and one kind of man Tomino is attracted to. The man is incapable of being slick about it.

Alright I’ll bite, what are they

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
The gundam with the enormous energy bazooka ruled and for years when I carried a lawnchair next to me I pretended I was also firing an enormous fuckoff beam

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Ohtori Akio posted:

I can guess the women:

- Big Sister
- Mature Woman

To be fair, the man's been anything but shy about his enthusiasm for Nee-sans and Nanai.

As for the men... Is it Bright? The fact that the man always manages to survive the worst UC has to offer and somehow still isn't running the show feels like a parallel/self-insert to the point of parody.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Is there any breakdown on the problems of Gundam Seed and why it gets so much hate?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

mention the words "gundam seed destiny" in this thread and you'll get your breakdown soon enough

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Watch the show yourself and come to your own conclusions. I doubt they will be positive

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Hot take but SEED itself was pretty OK

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
I never watched any of Seed but know enough of the plot via SRW games. it felt like a rehash of UC but with less likable characters

Seed Astray looked sick af tho. those suits :kiss:

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
hirai would've done so much better in a pre-digital world. i think his style is so bad

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

SgtSteel91 posted:

Is there any breakdown on the problems of Gundam Seed and why it gets so much hate?

A bunch of bullet points in lieu of a super deep dive tl;dr breakdown:

-Hisashi Hirai is a divisive character designer at best, and SEED is not putting his best foot forward.

-It came out at just the right moment vis-a-vis early digital coloring and art that the series just generally looks bad. Even the later HD remasters don't fully save it (and those make a couple of hilarious edits)

-While SEED's cast is decent enough, SEED DESTINY does complete poo poo by its characters, both new and established up to and full on replacing them wholesale with the original cast after a point. Nobody with any screentime in DESTINY comes out of the show looking good, or even feeling internally consistent. Famously the VAs for some of the cast say they have no clue why the people they voice did what they did in DESTINY.

-DESTINY's whole production was a complete mess and it shows. It has two clip shows in the last ten episodes because scripts apparently weren't turned in on time.

-DESTINY's overall plot is also very bad. It's poorly written, horribly paced, and full of a lot of stuff that just makes no sense and/or was transparently slapped in off the cuff without any real planning.

-The whole thing has an air of 90s comics style excess. OG SEED gets less hate, but it's still largely a worse rehashing of the original Mobile Suit Gundam if OG MSG was XTREME!

-SEED and DESTINY's fight choreography is very often middling, making it look worse by contrast against shows both before and after it.

-The series has extreme problems engaging with its own setting and its own setting ideas, it runs screaming from actually touching on any of the issues in the setting that should hypothetically be underlying all the fighting in the show and it's dumber for it. This one is where a LOT of discussion about the show ends up going.

-There's long been accusations of the director/writer (who were husband and wife, though the wife/writer has since passed on) playing at self-insert fanfic with the main cast in a particularly annoying way.

-DESTINY literally wheels out Zakus, Goufs, and Doms solely to ship merch. Plamo is always a priority in Gundam, yes, but the fact they are LITERALLY called "Zakus", "Goufs", and "Doms" rubs people the wrong way, especially since OG SEED had a decent Zaku-alike already.

-Despite CE Gundam and DESTINY especially being widely disliked it was still a smash hit and cast a very long shadow over Gundam for the next decade. If a piece of media you disliked had VAST influence over a franchise you like I imagine you wouldn't be buzzing with excitement to see it come back either.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

I never watched any of Seed but know enough of the plot via SRW games. it felt like a rehash of UC but with less likable characters

This. Having watched it? It's also this.

Omnicrom fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Aug 10, 2023

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

LuiCypher posted:

As for the men... Is it Bright? The fact that the man always manages to survive the worst UC has to offer and somehow still isn't running the show feels like a parallel/self-insert to the point of parody.

I’m pretty sure the answer, from the tweet, is Quattro Bajeenas.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

we're talking about seed has anyone posted the video yet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6K-h9W9L2aw

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

-girls like it

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

Hot take but SEED itself was pretty OK

Always been my take. It's a perfectly decent mid tier Gundam and even has a few exceptional characters or moments, like Natarle, Rau, and most of the ending to me.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Omnicrom posted:

A bunch of bullet points in lieu of a super deep dive tl;dr breakdown:

-Hisashi Hirai is a divisive character designer at best, and SEED is not putting his best foot forward.

-It came out at just the right moment vis-a-vis early digital coloring and art that the series just generally looks bad. Even the later HD remasters don't fully save it (and those make a couple of hilarious edits)

-While SEED's cast is decent enough, SEED DESTINY does complete poo poo by its characters, both new and established up to and full on replacing them wholesale with the original cast after a point. Nobody with any screentime in DESTINY comes out of the show looking good, or even feeling internally consistent. Famously the VAs for some of the cast say they have no clue why the people they voice did what they did in DESTINY.

-DESTINY's whole production was a complete mess and it shows. It has two clip shows in the last ten episodes because scripts apparently weren't turned in on time.

-DESTINY's overall plot is also very bad. It's poorly written, horribly paced, and full of a lot of stuff that just makes no sense and/or was transparently slapped in off the cuff without any real planning.

-The whole thing has an air of 90s comics style excess. OG SEED gets less hate, but it's still largely a worse rehashing of the original Mobile Suit Gundam if OG MSG was XTREME!

-SEED and DESTINY's fight choreography is very often middling, making it look worse by contrast against shows both before and after it.

-The series has extreme problems engaging with its own setting and its own setting ideas, it runs screaming from actually touching on any of the issues in the setting that should hypothetically be underlying all the fighting in the show and it's dumber for it. This one is where a LOT of discussion about the show ends up going.

-There's long been accusations of the director/writer (who were husband and wife, though the wife/director has since passed on) playing at self-insert fanfic with the main cast in a particularly annoying way.

-DESTINY literally wheels out Zakus, Goufs, and Doms solely to ship merch. Plamo is always a priority in Gundam, yes, but the fact they are LITERALLY called "Zakus", "Goufs", and "Doms" rubs people the wrong way, especially since OG SEED had a decent Zaku-alike already.

-Despite CE Gundam and DESTINY especially being widely disliked it was still a smash hit and cast a very long shadow over Gundam for the next decade. If a piece of media you disliked had VAST influence over a franchise you like I imagine you wouldn't be buzzing with excitement to see it come back either.

This. Having watched it? It's also this.

-more reused animation than any gundam before or since

-they forgot what powers the fuckin warships

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
wasn't the production such a catastrophe for everyone involved that cagalli's VA refuses to voice the character in SRW or is that more standard robot anime fandom invention

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mister Olympus posted:

wasn't the production such a catastrophe for everyone involved that cagalli's VA refuses to voice the character in SRW or is that more standard robot anime fandom invention
theres no known reason and the production of seed/seed destiny seems relatively smooth compared to many other gundam series

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

and cagalli had new voice lines in g generation cross rays and some of the gundam versus games

and the same va was in gundam age so its unlikely she has anything against gundam or sunrise or bamco

she also seems somewhat retired and only taking on a couple of minor roles a year

theres definitely some sort of reason she was never in any of the voiced super robot wars but there's any number of reasons that could have gone into that

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Omnicrom posted:

This is my own major criticism of SEED. I think the Coordinator stuff is great - a much better basis for a war than Earthnoids vs. Spacenoids. The problem is the series never really gives due weight to the suffering of the Earthbound citizens. I think we get like those two episodes with Cagalli and thats' about it for actually showing us the devastation wrought by the N-Jammers. Meanwhile nobody ever stops talking about Junius Seven. True, Patrick Zala becomes Gihren by the end so maybe all the invocations of the nuke attack is the propaganda of a madman but it still felt to me like the PLANTs are presented as 100% the victims, just victims being taken advantage of by a grief-stricken lunatic. Meanwhile, Earth has...Azrael and Blue Cosmos who don't even have the benefit of a sad backstory and a slow descent into madness. They're just cartoon villains, however delightfully entertaining cartoon villains they might be in Azrael's case.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

ninjewtsu posted:

we're talking about seed has anyone posted the video yet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6K-h9W9L2aw

Fun fact, to replicate this for the dub they literally kicked the VA in the balls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Ojjeorago posted:

Fun fact, to replicate this for the dub they literally kicked the VA in the balls.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LOTHCNqje8

NYAV just doesn't have the same sharp pain followed by the aches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMzjlRA222E