Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

KirbyKhan posted:

Friend of mine got her 4 year old kicked out of her childcare for having too many accidents and I'm like... What business do you have doing business with 2-4 year olds if you can't handle poop?

Your child being a child is getting in the way of collecting kid rent. This is just a parking lot sir. Her profitability metrics were suboptimal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

silicone thrills posted:

It wouldn't be so bad if these weren't' the same people who were constantly hounding for grandkids/more grandkids. It took until grandkid number like 4 before my in laws stopped harassing me about it.

the ones that won't stop being passive aggressive (or just plain aggressive) about it if you don't have or want to have any are the worst

they may even know we're like single digit years from absolute hellworld chaos with everything on fire and they simply do not give a gently caress

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

KirbyKhan posted:

Friend of mine got her 4 year old kicked out of her childcare for having too many accidents and I'm like... What business do you have doing business with 2-4 year olds if you can't handle poop?

With 2 yr olds it's an unfair expectation, especially for boys. I understand that "too many accidents" is a vague metric, but many pre-K places require children to be toilet-trained to qualify for enrollment, and I can understand them getting tetchy about having to do toileting as well as training, especially if they're somewhat short-staffed.

I can't imagine that many trained grade-school teachers expected to be changing diapers as part of their work with state-mandated public education for 4 yr olds, and I agree with the people in the story who said those duties should be spelled out in collective bargaining and/or handled by teachers' aides.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

really good deep dive by the FT on how the west's offshoring + neoliberalism + short-termism (+ the USA's insane climate denialism) allowed china to corner the renewables industry........ as gil scott heron said

And all consumers know that when the producer names the tune...
The consumer has got to dance
That's the way it is. We used to be a producer – very inflexible at that
And now we are consumers and, finding it difficult to understand
Natural resources and minerals will change your world
Controlling your resources will control your world

.......gonna be hard to try to go back to being a producer now

https://www.ft.com/content/6d2ed4d3-c6d3-4dbd-8566-3b0df9e9c5c6

:911: :owned:

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

NyetscapeNavigator posted:

Employers have always hated employment gaps and seen it as a red flag.

A prospective employee willing/able to take gaps is someone who's willing/able to bail on a bad company instead of being locked into wage slavery.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

ProperGanderPusher posted:

YMMV with grandmas. Ours usually won’t watch our kid for more than an hour at a time per week because she’s decided she wants to be a MLM girl boss at the ripe old age of 70 and is too busy hustling. I know we’re not entitled yadda yadda yadda but she talked a big game about providing daycare for us when she was trying to convince us to move out here.

Spoiler: She said that to lure you guys in so you would take care of her. It was never about you or the kid.

triple sulk posted:

the ones that won't stop being passive aggressive (or just plain aggressive) about it if you don't have or want to have any are the worst

they may even know we're like single digit years from absolute hellworld chaos with everything on fire and they simply do not give a gently caress

Humans have raised children during famines and disasters, so clearly you must too. Squat over the volcano and fire those little bastards in.

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

My super villain origins getting spilled itt rn

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

silicone thrills posted:

It wouldn't be so bad if these weren't' the same people who were constantly hounding for grandkids/more grandkids. It took until grandkid number like 4 before my in laws stopped harassing me about it.

"We'll babysit for free!" should go right next to "I promise I'll pull out in time!" on the don't-count-on-it shelf.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I would never work for private sector

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011

SKULL.GIF posted:

A prospective employee willing/able to take gaps is someone who's willing/able to bail on a bad company instead of being locked into wage slavery.

it also neatly solves the problem of not wanting to hire working mothers but not being able to say that out loud without EEOC implications

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

when people say child care is hard work (it is) o always thing of the millions of mostly women who’ve been doing it for free at the cost of their “career” and life time earnings. it’s not great

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

the state should be paying stay at home parents like 80k a year .

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

loquacius posted:

I'm experienced enough at this point to know it doesn't have anything to do with my own competence or innate worth. I'm finding it tough to act enthusiastic on the calls I get because I don't really have much hope for any individual process but I at least am not having a crisis of confidence or anything over it, I just hate capitalism

capitalism is a gently caress

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

euphronius posted:

80k a year!? That's stupid. Let just give them 3k in tax deduction and call it a day.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

NeonPunk posted:

80k a year!? That's stupid. Let just give them 3k in tax deduction and call it a day.

You know what? Let's give them that for a year, and then take it away!

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

euphronius posted:

no every stay at home parent is one less unit of labor to exploit

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

euphronius posted:

there should be universal daycare, free at POS, and there should be a sizeable stipend per kid aged 0-4 for not using the universal daycare, both to lighten the load on the system and because home childcare is work and should be compensated as such

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011
market solutions for market problems!

raising children has historically been a communal activity for pretty much all of recorded history, but atomization is a bitch so that ship has sailed.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

loquacius posted:

there should be universal daycare, free at POS, and there should be a sizeable stipend per kid aged 0-4 for not using the universal daycare, both to lighten the load on the system and because home childcare is work and should be compensated as such

That would be nice, but it's far more likely that we'll just get rid of the negligence laws first instead of doing all this when it gets worse.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Johnny Cache Hit posted:

market solutions for market problems!

raising children has historically been a communal activity for pretty much all of recorded history, but atomization is a bitch so that ship has sailed.

and people realized they can be profit centers

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Willa Rogers posted:

I mean, it's kind of unfair for us to discuss how child care is devalued on one hand & then to expect elders to take it on gratis, or for less pay than the professionals earn.

And as you said, a lot of elders need to work, but even if they don't it's sort of unfair to expect them to give up their retirements to do a difficult, labor-intensive but often-bored-out-of-your-skull job.

I mean it’s kinda lovely when our boomer parents’ parents were happy to help out when we were kids and now our own parents all need to follow their muses and can’t be bothered to help out. Kinda FYGM-ish.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

euphronius posted:

Matt Breunig has a good paper/proposal on this but it'll never happen.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

net work error posted:

Matt Breunig has a good paper/proposal on this but it'll never happen.

yeah

maybe someday

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

How did the Soviets handle childcare?

Xpforr
Sep 7, 2022

Crazypoops posted:

I still remember one my earlier interviews in 2010’s (doe eyed, still looking for a real job), and after having a couple panic attacks, I told them I was also interested in other opportunities within the organization. the boss looked like at me, like I open hand slapped his dog or something. Immediately telling me how I’m unfocused, and don’t know what I want.

Xpforr has issued a correction as of 19:40 on Aug 9, 2023

Xpforr
Sep 7, 2022

SKULL.GIF posted:

How did the Soviets handle childcare?
They were hired by Pizza Hut to work the pepperoni mines.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

where do you propose we get all this extra childcare funding? its not like there's billions and billions of dollars of unused and unearned wealth just floating around out there...!

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Crazypoops posted:

Getting kicked out of daycare for pooping your pants?

Kill Dozed
Feb 13, 2008

Xpforr posted:

They were hired by Pizza Hut to work the pepperoni mines.

Momma mia!

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

skooma512 posted:

Given the shortages in that industry, I would be surprised if it was that strict and competitive. But then again, it wouldn't surprise me at all since many labor shortages are due to inflexible standards and just straight up class warfare.

ATC as a rule will not hire anyone over 30. The shortage is not due to a lack of applicants, it is purely because their budget is inadequate.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Bidenomics
https://twitter.com/unusual_whales/status/1689313337526669312?t=l_4ygiCW0hWVb-PHw8B1jg&s=19

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

ATC as a rule will not hire anyone over 30. The shortage is not due to a lack of applicants, it is purely because their budget is inadequate.

what does atc mean?

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea

Justin Tyme posted:

where do you propose we get all this extra childcare funding? its not like there's billions and billions of dollars of unused and unearned wealth just floating around out there...!

If we pay people to have kids it's going to mean that people will just pop out kids whenever they want a free meal. Child rearing is best dictated by market forces, which are currently what makes the United States the greatest country on earth. Sorry if you're a loser but you should have worked harder, this is a meritocracy after all, i wrote a report for McKinsey on it

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

official government response: "Most people are fine, this doesn't even deserve a half-assed bandaid"

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

no lube so what posted:

what does atc mean?

air traffic control

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

okay, but has anyone thought about throwing our beautiful landlords out a window?

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

ProperGanderPusher posted:

I mean it’s kinda lovely when our boomer parents’ parents were happy to help out when we were kids and now our own parents all need to follow their muses and can’t be bothered to help out. Kinda FYGM-ish.

loooool.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

triple sulk posted:

to reiterate my point, yeah, HR has blinders on. recruiters left and right are on linkedin crying about their struggles to find a new job, but those same people will reject and/or ghost you without a second thought if they were in the position to do so. hiring managers do it to a lesser extent, but i cannot see it as anything but a numbers game and hoping you get lined up with a sequence of individuals who like you and the way you think.

it's why i'm very close to outright turning down any process more than 3 steps long at this point. same goes for pretty much any exercise that can't be done via either virtual whiteboard or having a conversation like a normal human being. every step/person you add increases the likelihood that you'll get a detractor because not everyone is going to like you, and it just speaks to the inefficiency of their hiring process to begin with.

the average length i've run into thus far is probably 4-5 steps, leaning 5, and the longest i've seen and shot down was approximately 9-10

I'm actually slated to start a new job with a giant org that canned my rear end a few years back but currently fielding interviews and the like with better orgs with better pay/benefits. Deciding to not take the job after getting a start date and going through onboarding paperwork seems dickish (and I've been looking at whether ppl get sued for this, its happened before) and feeling oddly guilty and worried, but like why should why? They'd do the same to me! They have already!!!

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Justin Tyme posted:

They should create a program to pay military subcontractors/donors to run government-paid daycare; then we'd see some action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

loquacius posted:

My dudes I have gotten form-letter rejections for so many job listings I am quite clearly qualified for on paper, sometimes after I talk to a recruiter and they're all smiles on the phone, sometimes without even the phone call. Some of the jobs are fake, and the rest have already gone to one of the 5 million other people who have applied to them, and you will never know which is which, the system is perfect

My advice is to work with multiple recruiters and have them do the heavy lifting for you. If they ask, lie to them and say you're only working with each one individually, otherwise they will freak out (don't feel bad about the lying, headhunters are scum).

Eventually you will get a recruiter who is on the ball and can find you some real openings.