Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
When my dead gay hospital died a headhunter came in and met with my entire team, it was a big show and lasted all day, and then nobody heard from him again lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

In Training posted:

They're CIA operatives who are paid to post. Like frosted flake

it’s cool that one of our case managers actually contributes to the community

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

silicone thrills posted:

Kid care observation ive made recently is all my friends were regularly baby sat or even over nighted with our grandparents on the regular through my childhood. My prim old southern belle grandmother used to give me etiquette lessons and smoke next to me while we prepped meatloaf. Free child care is free childcare.

I have about 5 friends who had kids in the last few years and none of their parents will make time to see their grandkids, let alone babysit them or do overnight, and my friends are going insane. Our generations parents are either still working or if they are retired decided that retirement definitely wasnt going to involve helping with kids.

My own in laws are too busy doing cruises and rv trips to help my sister in law with her kids.

Yep, as with most of the other economic components in American life the trick is to have parents who don't loving suck.

IMO, embrace multi-generational living and consider giving your parents a free place to stay in return for watching your kids. The American dream of the nuclear family going it alone is dead, it's time to pivot to what actually works.

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

Justin Tyme posted:

where do you propose we get all this extra childcare funding? its not like there's billions and billions of dollars of unused and unearned wealth just floating around out there...!

Think about all the parents who quit because they'd be upside down on their job paying for childcare.

If they would pay 12k or more in taxes (or whatever the number is) if they kept the job then the govt would literally make money paying for it.

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

https://twitter.com/CNBC/status/1689266967595593728

ESPN let Draftkings and Fanduel advertise relentlessly on their own platform and now are entering the same business after all their viewers got rinsed. Art of the deal.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

but inflation is lowest its been since 2021?? :confused:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Woke Mind Virus posted:

https://twitter.com/CNBC/status/1689266967595593728

ESPN let Draftkings and Fanduel advertise relentlessly on their own platform and now are entering the same business after all their viewers got rinsed. Art of the deal.

I’m sure espn will be more watchable after this

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

and to think some posters doubted they’d find a way to steal all the 401k money

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Shageletic posted:

I'm actually slated to start a new job with a giant org that canned my rear end a few years back but currently fielding interviews and the like with better orgs with better pay/benefits. Deciding to not take the job after getting a start date and going through onboarding paperwork seems dickish (and I've been looking at whether ppl get sued for this, its happened before) and feeling oddly guilty and worried, but like why should why? They'd do the same to me! They have already!!!

They sue people for this? I've been hearing people getting laid off/fired before they even start the drat job but after they quit their current one.

Though it would not surprise me in the slightest the employer pulling a fast one on the employee is legal and cool but doing it the other way is criminal and wrong. dee dee dee doop doop doop class relations

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Libs in the bad place have outright said this account posts unverifiable things and that actually Biden's economy is roaring

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

skooma512 posted:

Getting kicked out of daycare for pooping your pants?

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

looks like poo poo, can't wait for them to build it and gently caress everything up

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

ProperGanderPusher posted:

I mean it’s kinda lovely when our boomer parents’ parents were happy to help out when we were kids and now our own parents all need to follow their muses and can’t be bothered to help out. Kinda FYGM-ish.
it's been the opposite of this in my family. in fact because my folks were retired by the time I got a nephew they are able to put way more time into childcare of their grandkids.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

looks good i hope they build it

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ
Our daycare lady has, in the last year since she opened and purchased the business from her neighbor, bought a new Tesla and installed a charging station, installed paver steps down her long, steep sloped driveway, new AC, and multiple cross country trips for 4 people. Her husband works at Amazon I think.

I’m not complaining, she deserves to be paid and she’s doing great for our youngest. She’s still cheaper than the factory daycare which are basically miserable baby jails. Our nanny was the best, though. We paid her well and she did food prep and cleaning for us. Now a days Nannie’s want top dollar and don’t want to do anything other than watch the kid.

The best is an au pair but you need a big rear end house for that.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

they're going to "build housing" into it that absolutely won't happen as they're just trying to get the thing approved. lol

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

euphronius posted:

looks good i hope they build it

market east is a loving shithole and that thing won't save it

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

mawarannahr posted:

it's been the opposite of this in my family

same.

tbf we ourselves do a lot of care work for our nieces/nephews

no generational divide needed!

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Nonsense posted:

Libs in the bad place have outright said this account posts unverifiable things and that actually Biden's economy is roaring

That account sucks because not only it's usually late on breaking news, they rarely source their tweets.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

BornAPoorBlkChild posted:

what type of job is that seriously?:stare:

permanent union position with a European theater/orchestra after you make it through their probationary period. you give them your best years so they'll keep you around in your late 50s / 60s. lotta insanely talented kids coming out of conservatories every year doing the competition circuit, so good luck competing with that youthful vigor in your mid to late 40s

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
I’m often baffled by how many parents are also regular posters/lurkers in the doomsday/ biosphere collapse threads. The way people can compartmentalize the elements of their lives is kind of amazing.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Ammanas posted:

if i got 3 months of pto per kid id immediately have 4 kids. hack the system

california gives each parent 7 weeks paid, though you do hafta use it inside of the first year

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Taima posted:

I’m often baffled by how many parents are also regular posters/lurkers in the doomsday/ biosphere collapse threads. The way people can compartmentalize the elements of their lives is kind of amazing.

things aren’t as bad as portrayed in this thread which is a good source for news

I don’t read biosphere collapse tho

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Glumwheels posted:

Our nanny was the best, though. We paid her well and she did food prep and cleaning for us. Now a days Nannie’s want top dollar and don’t want to do anything other than watch the kid.

The best is an au pair but you need a big rear end house for that.

how much did u pay her

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

really good deep dive by the FT on how the west's offshoring + neoliberalism + short-termism (+ the USA's insane climate denialism) allowed china to corner the renewables industry........ as gil scott heron said

And all consumers know that when the producer names the tune...
The consumer has got to dance
That's the way it is. We used to be a producer – very inflexible at that
And now we are consumers and, finding it difficult to understand
Natural resources and minerals will change your world
Controlling your resources will control your world

.......gonna be hard to try to go back to being a producer now

https://www.ft.com/content/6d2ed4d3-c6d3-4dbd-8566-3b0df9e9c5c6
Some one in the executive branch is going to have a rude awakening on the eve of WW3 when they try to argue "We are America, what do you mean we just can't turn off China's economy?!?!"

Vox Nihili posted:

Yep, as with most of the other economic components in American life the trick is to have parents who don't loving suck.

IMO, embrace multi-generational living and consider giving your parents a free place to stay in return for watching your kids. The American dream of the nuclear family going it alone is dead, it's time to pivot to what actually works.
This is why we stopped after one. Too expensive in general coupled with our parents either themselves still having to work a decade longer than they thought they would have to, or incredible FYGM boomer energy and don't want to help with children (even though their parents were free childcare).

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

triple sulk posted:

market east is a loving shithole and that thing won't save it

True, but also hilarious admitting the failure of the fashion district after barely four years after blowing like 500 million (pre-inflation) on it

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

euphronius posted:

things aren’t as bad as portrayed in this thread which is a good source for news

things are pretty bad op and they can always get much worse

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

HallelujahLee posted:

things are pretty bad op and they can always get much worse

the person asked me how I can read the thread as a parent and I gave him the reasoning I use

it’s not right or wrong or something you need to correct me on

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

euphronius posted:

the person asked me how I can read the thread as a parent and I gave him the reasoning I use

that wasent a correction but an observation

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

fair enough

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Taima posted:

Often before finding out.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Vox Nihili posted:

My advice is to work with multiple recruiters and have them do the heavy lifting for you. If they ask, lie to them and say you're only working with each one individually, otherwise they will freak out (don't feel bad about the lying, headhunters are scum).

Eventually you will get a recruiter who is on the ball and can find you some real openings.

I am sure they are scummy but we could use more headhunters who were willing to directly contact employed people with job offers so people knew what they were worth more easily.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

euphronius posted:

you are never going to convince the "world is going to die in 5 years" people otherwise

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
He convinced me

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

SKULL.GIF posted:

How did the Soviets handle childcare?

idk full details but I remember this aside from Blackshirts & Reds.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

euphronius posted:

I don’t read biosphere collapse tho

Things aren't as bad as any of the collapse threads claim.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Azuth0667 posted:

tenure ftw

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Zodium posted:

tenure ftw

Absolutely, European worker protections with American salaries. Still can't afford modest SFH.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Taima posted:

I'm not exactly a regular ITT but for what it's worth I'm mostly here because I've been unemployed for four months and it's a huge source of stress which I find extremely relevant to parenthood because I would like to continue giving my kids a roof to live under

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Azuth0667 posted:

is this the Famine thread or the Death thread