Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

moana posted:

My mom amd sister lost both their houses. The banyan tree is gone, the wharf, the schools, all old lahaina.

drat, glad they are safe though off island or somewhere else?

I honeymooned on Maui and thinking of Lahaina being just gone is like…unbelievable. Read a CNN story sounds scary as gently caress. Best to all you know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

moana posted:

My mom amd sister lost both their houses. The banyan tree is gone, the wharf, the schools, all old lahaina.

very sorry to hear. did the people get much notice? it seemed like it mostly came at night

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

SixteenShells posted:

i wish i still had this kind of optimism for mainstream politics

At some point you think existing in America would have beaten this out of you.

Someday we will vote away climate change...

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

Crazyweasel posted:

drat, glad they are safe though off island or somewhere else?

I honeymooned on Maui and thinking of Lahaina being just gone is like…unbelievable. Read a CNN story sounds scary as gently caress. Best to all you know
They are at my mom's bf place on the other side of the island. They got a few hours notice but they left without taking anything, thought the firebreak would stop anything. 60mph wind, though, jfc. I went to middle school in lahainaluna near where the fire started.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Blockade posted:

i have been following the suggestions of the people calling me a doomer, I buy the treats, I play sports with friends, I have grill outs on my roof.

now im apparently a nihilist for not caring about whatever new climate deal

like what do you want my dudes

Vote!

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Lahaina in particular burning really feels like America finishing with climate change the genocide they started and got bored with. just awful.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Trabisnikof posted:

Lahaina in particular burning really feels like America finishing with climate change the genocide they started and got bored with. just awful.

hmm, this can't be correct. I've been told climate change will only be seen after I'm dead

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

bedpan posted:

hmm, this can't be correct. I've been told climate change will only be seen after I'm dead

this can still be true but maybe not on the timeline you were hoping for

err
Apr 11, 2005

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

i always wonder if that story about al qaeda or whomever communicating by using private TF2 servers and writing messages with bullet patterns on walls was true

it was drafts on a shared gmail account, but lol this is cannon now

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Trabisnikof posted:

Dole stock at a 30 day high and climbing

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Soggy Muffin posted:

Been posting climate collapse news to my stories on my IG WH 40k account where I’m relatively well known in the online Ork converter and painting community. Lost like 600 followers this summer after talking about it but I made some new friends along the way. That community is a weird cross section of people that love grimdark and are totally down with doomer poo poo, and nazi chuds that will bot spam your dms from dif accounts because you said something to piss them off and how dare you ruin their escapism hobby of painting nazi space marines

PM me your insta cause orks fuggin rule. You can look at my half finished Iron Warriors of you like.

Son of Sorrow posted:

I'm saying it now, publicly and for everyone to read: I am not associated with any law enforcement organization or operation. I am interested in volunteering my time and labor toward (LEGAL!) means of political action. I hope this is explicit enough to satisfy the Rusty Shacklefords of CSPAM.

Prove you're one of us and [redact] a billionaire.
And play this in the background:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMEVByNivvQ&t=153s

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

So I thought this might help with the different things going on.

This is a list of $100 worth of stuff that will help when a weather event is going on. There are lists of storm or fire stuff online from state governments and the Red Cross. Mine is from living through a couple of flood events and at the time living on $10 a day. There was also the chance I would have my stuff stolen. I was living in a share house with 20ish people from a range of backgrounds. So this was all stuff that I could lose if need be and not be too upset.

It has its limitations. I don’t think it will be very comfortable. It may be more comfortable than an evacuation centre. Heat domes are pretty much going to be find AC, stay in the shade, drink water. Its not going to be a long term solution if infrastructure really breaks down. That would come from being part of a group or community and giving and receiving mutual aid.

With that said:

3 x 20 litre buckets - $24

1 x toilet seat - $10

1 x 50 trash bag roll - $10

1 x 2.5 litre plain bleach - $5

1 x box-cutter - $3 (for a few more dollars, the cheapest generic multitool would be handier)

1 x single canister gas camping stove - $25

1 x 4 pack of butane canisters - $6

1 x LED torch with battery - $3

1 x duct tape - $4

1 x 5kg bag of rice - $7

1 x peanut butter jar - $3

For $100 total.

Different things may be cheaper where you are. I could also store all this in 2 of the buckets and not take up too much space.

The thinking behind it.

1) Toilet seat, 1 of the buckets and a trash bag makes a toilet. In the floods and a couple of rain events the sewage and water treatment plants went offline in my area. They stayed offline until the waters went down and area cleaned up.

2) Fill the other 2 buckets with water ahead of the storm or event. Tap drinking water if you’re lucky. If there's a bathtub, fill that as well for cleaning or drinking water. To make drinking water you boil at least 3 minutes. Then add 10 drops bleach to 4 litres of water. Stir the water well. Wait 30 minutes before drinking. If its still raining and you have an empty bucket, you can use your trash bags and duct tape to help gather rainwater.

3) The gas camping cooker can boil water and cook. Rice for hot calories. Peanut butter for cold calories. Hopefully you’ve got some condiments around or whats left in the fridge before it goes off.

4) Trash bags. Can make rain coat, cover windows, used in poop bucket, used as a bag. Double bag any clothes or valuables. Keeps them dry and also makes them look less valuable.

Does anyone else have some ideas for a $100 kit?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

fosborb posted:

Dole stock at a 30 day high and climbing

the plantations on maui are probably worth more in water rights than they are as fruit plantations lol

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Tungsten posted:

is anyone here not shitposting? you have to tell us, legally

Zodium posted:

i'm perfectly sincere and normal at all times

on a related note, condolences to our hawaiian contingent. i personally really like it when my dwelling place is not on fire and im sorry we can't all enjoy that feeling right now.

some really pretty photos, at least. it's not going to look nearly this cool when phoenix goes up.

Hit Man
Mar 6, 2008

I hope after I die people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

plenty of other islands for the rich to vacation at. no biggie

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

fosborb posted:

it was drafts on a shared gmail account, but lol this is cannon now

They also built subliminal messaging into dating sims. The results speak for themselves. Osama did the research on that one personally

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

moana posted:

Jesus I’m so sorry. I’m glad that they are ok.

Son of Sorrow posted:

I voted for Biden because I expected his administration to roll back Trump's policies and have been sorely disappointed.

You asked for the threads advice and you got it. Don’t whine to us if you don’t like it. poo poo is hosed. You won’t find any cope here.

err
Apr 11, 2005

BCR posted:

So I thought this might help with the different things going on.

This is a list of $100 worth of stuff that will help when a weather event is going on. There are lists of storm or fire stuff online from state governments and the Red Cross. Mine is from living through a couple of flood events and at the time living on $10 a day. There was also the chance I would have my stuff stolen. I was living in a share house with 20ish people from a range of backgrounds. So this was all stuff that I could lose if need be and not be too upset.

I bought a big multitool for situations like that, I live in a flood/earthquake zone. $120 or whatever + a 12 year warranty. Worth it to have forever.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

err posted:

very sorry to hear. did the people get much notice? it seemed like it mostly came at night

There are videos of people driving through the fire to escape, jumping into the ocean, and bodies left where they fell. So no, not much warning. 60 mph hurricane winds turbocharged the flames. A lot of people in my wife's extended family are losing their homes.

It's not just Lahaina, half of the island is on fire. Emergency response is totally overwhelmed, no power anywhere, cell network is crushed, burn patients have to be airlifted to other islands (hurricane force winds permitting). Apparently Maui was in the midst of an ongoing drought, which I wasn't aware of either. It's extremely gnarly.

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

Vox Nihili posted:

There are videos of people driving through the fire to escape, jumping into the ocean, and bodies left where they fell. So no, not much warning. 60 mph hurricane winds turnocharged the flames. A lot of people in my wife's extended family are losing their homes.

It's not just Lahaina, half of the island is on fire. Emergency response is totally overwhelmed, no power anywhere, cell network is crushed, burn patients have to be airlifted to other islands (hurricane force winds permitting). Apparently Maui was in the midst of an ongoing drought, which I wasn't aware of either. It's extremely gnarly.

Maui as a whole is super over developed and massive tracts of land are owned by celebrities and billionaires

moana
Jun 18, 2005

How do I pause a gif, my mom's house is in two of these pictures and I want to zoom in.

err
Apr 11, 2005

moana posted:

How do I pause a gif, my mom's house is in two of these pictures and I want to zoom in.

heres the video from where it is from, pretty bad but migth find soemthing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YseUmHTSpgo

https://twitter.com/WxNB_/status/1689384898958917633

here too: https://old.reddit.com/r/maui/comments/15mnv4q/for_those_wanting_info_on_lahaina_heres_some/

err has issued a correction as of 22:34 on Aug 9, 2023

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Thank you. Doesn't look like there's anything left. Just learned my sister couldn't get her cats out. Man, I'm just... this is crushing.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

It would destroy the $100 budget but the only thing that comes to mind is a radio that can pick up weather bands.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

moana posted:

Thank you. Doesn't look like there's anything left. Just learned my sister couldn't get her cats out. Man, I'm just... this is crushing.

Jesus

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

X-posting the less disturbing escape from Lahaina video from the weather thread (extreme destruction but no bodies or anything in this one)

https://twitter.com/StrictlyChristo/status/1689356760476499968

Reminds me of the Santa Rosa fire in norcal. Swept in within a matter of hours and caught people totally off-guard.

Vox Nihili has issued a correction as of 22:46 on Aug 9, 2023

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

how long until the space laser in our volcano base is operational so we can force world leaders to address climate change?

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

SixteenShells posted:

It would destroy the $100 budget but the only thing that comes to mind is a radio that can pick up weather bands.

A lot of the FRS walkie talkies have weather band built in. Definitely outside of the super cheap budget but you can get a pair of Midland brand for around $30

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

moana posted:

drat. sorry goon.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

moana posted:

Jesus gently caress, I'm sorry. At least she made it out

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
Jesus I'm sorry for your family. poo poo's awful

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
e: bad post, nm

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

moana posted:

Goddamn it. it is so unfair

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

moana posted:

loving hell. I'm sorry. :(

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

moana posted:

all irony aside, it’s godawful when these things become concrete and finally touch us. most of us will have the opportunity to be the one shooting the footage by the end. i hope people’s fabled ability to come together in a crisis sees you through this

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Funny thing is I live in california so I always thought it would be my house burning down first.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Hit Man posted:

plenty of other islands for the rich to vacation at. no biggie
no no, you're looking at it wrong. now there's tons of cheap property to buy

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

moana posted:

:(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Large swaths of Maui burning down are just an opportunity for more resorts. Ask your local democrats, they'll help you line up financing and get tax incentives to "rebuild" by putting 5 AirBnBs where a neighborhood block used to be.