Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

von Metternich
May 7, 2007
Why the hell not?

notaspy posted:

I have always found it interesting that Horus is a lefty

I believe all marines are canonically ambidextrous.

Two Primarch questions:
1. The Night Lords all apparently have black eyes, even the ones from Terra, because geneseed. But the black eyes are a Nostromo thing, and Curze wasn’t born on Nostromo. Shouldn’t he not have the all-black eyes? Are the Terran marines just wearing colored contacts to fit in?

2. In several of the books it’s mentioned that some legions had unstable geneseed until they found their Primarch, and they could get it from the source. Was this a one-time process or are there vials of Dorne’s spit and Guilliman’s blood flying back to base constantly? Does Fulgrim insist on jerking off into a cup while an AdMech magos watches, despite them only needing a cheek swab? Does he make eye contact??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

OPAONI posted:

Let's be fair. Looting that set off a catastrophic chain of events that killed the planet.

Pretty sure Trazyn letting a genestealer loose, as a prank, is what actually put the planet on an inevitable course towards exterminatus.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Listen, you can essentially blame everything that's gone wrong in the galaxy on the necrons, and for simplicity's sake you can direct all your anger at a single point (Trazyn)

Black Griffon fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Aug 9, 2023

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

if the Old Ones had given them new bodies like they asked :mad:

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

euphronius posted:

It would be great if Horus won and they started an alternate story line.

It's really been Horus on the Golden Throne the past 10,000 years. :psyduck:

Wake up sheeple!

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

That would low key rule and flip the table on who he was the sacrifice for lol

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I still maintain that (HH speculation:) it's gonna turn out that the Emperor is the Dark King; Chaos outplayed him and twisted the entire Heresy into a ritual that'd turn whoever won into a new Chaos God. It immediately recontextualizes everything we think we've always known about his imprisonment on the Golden Throne, and it utterly kicks the legs out of the "just unplug him and let his spirit hit the Warp, it'll do some real good there" faction of fans, which is pretty sizable. It also means that the Golden Throne being on the verge of permanent breakdown is a much more existential threat than we'd previously realized, and that Big E showing signs of stirring ever since the Great Rift is not a reason for hope, but rather the exact opposite. Taking away something fans think is a bright spot is GW's favorite thing, after all, and this would be an actually very well executed twist.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

CapnAndy posted:

I think part of the problem with Eldar protagonists is that, even by the standards of grimark, the Eldar are the race of utter loving bastards. It's really hard to root for the guys for whom "geez, I'm on track to be mildly inconvenienced in two hundred years, or... I could condemn billions of innocents to a horrible death" is both a no-brainer to choose the latter option and also a fairly common occurrence.

That's only your far-seeingest of the farseers like eldrad, theres plenty of eldar protagonists that are easy to root for. Most craftworld citizens seem to consider any time on the war paths as a begrudging necessity of survival, experience horrifying ptsd when they remove the warmask that takes a while to get over, and mostly feeling horror and disdain at eldar who lose themselves on the paths of violence.

Lot of people who just get caught up in events larger than them and beyond their control, forced to fight to survive against horrors beyond their comprehension. It's not that much different from novels from the imperial perspective. Sometimes your general can see into the future.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Aug 9, 2023

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Sharkopath posted:

Most craftworld citizens seem to consider any time on the war paths as a begrudging necessity of survival, experience horrifying ptsd when they remove the warmask that takes a while to get over, and mostly feeling horror and disdain at eldar who lose themselves on the paths of violence.

Goddamned shitlibs, those Eldar.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

euphronius posted:

Aren’t the exodites Chill?

Amish Elves

They just have less opportunities to be dicks

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

von Metternich posted:

Two Primarch questions:
1. The Night Lords all apparently have black eyes, even the ones from Terra, because geneseed. But the black eyes are a Nostromo thing, and Curze wasn’t born on Nostromo. Shouldn’t he not have the all-black eyes? Are the Terran marines just wearing colored contacts to fit in?

2. In several of the books it’s mentioned that some legions had unstable geneseed until they found their Primarch, and they could get it from the source. Was this a one-time process or are there vials of Dorne’s spit and Guilliman’s blood flying back to base constantly? Does Fulgrim insist on jerking off into a cup while an AdMech magos watches, despite them only needing a cheek swab? Does he make eye contact??

1. It is implied that the primarchs may have taken on physical traits of the people of their adoptive homeworld. It's also implied that the Emps may have known where the primarchs were going to land and engineered them for those worlds.

2. I would imagine that it was a one time thing. The legions geneseed were engineered based on the primarch's dna so maybe having the source material was necessary to correct some sort of mutation or such.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

von Metternich posted:

...they...draw some of their blood.

Wait, don't they?

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

von Metternich posted:

Two Primarch questions:

1. Curze had the all-black eyes because he was designed as The Goth One, and that just happened to also be a Nostramo thing.

2. In the case of the Thousand Sons the instability was only cured via their primarch making a deal with daemons, and for the Blood Angels/Space Wolves their respective primarchs basically just put a big ol' glamour over the issues via their cult(s) of personality.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

The red thirst is something to do with the Baal system, Khorne put a curse on it.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

wiegieman posted:

The red thirst is something to do with the Baal system, Khorne put a curse on it.

I thought in Darkness in the Blood it was the Black Rage that was just a manifestation of some peculiar haunting of the Baal system. And it was basically being held at bay via Sanguinius' existence until his death and the burden fell on his sons.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Sextro posted:

I thought in Darkness in the Blood it was the Black Rage that was just a manifestation of some peculiar haunting of the Baal system. And it was basically being held at bay via Sanguinius' existence until his death and the burden fell on his sons.

They're double-cursed, the black rage is the psychic echo of his death in battle against Horus.

Crab Battle
Jan 16, 2010

Haha! Yeah!
I can't remember which Heresy book I saw it in, but it would fit the universe for the Primarch/homeworld matchups to be a predestination thing.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

GordonTheDeadFish posted:

I can't remember which Heresy book I saw it in, but it would fit the universe for the Primarch/homeworld matchups to be a predestination thing.

I don't remember which of the MANY HH books it came up in, but wasn't there a throwaway comment that Fulgrim and Sanguinious were supposed to land on each others planets but were switched? I can't remember for the life of me which one it was. There's a lot of the HH books that I read once never to return

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

Dog_Meat posted:

I don't remember which of the MANY HH books it came up in, but wasn't there a throwaway comment that Fulgrim and Sanguinious were supposed to land on each others planets but were switched? I can't remember for the life of me which one it was. There's a lot of the HH books that I read once never to return
It was Fulgrim and Jaghatai, apparently.

Serdain
Aug 13, 2007
dicksdicksdicks

Biplane posted:

Ravenor, then hop on another 11 hour flight and start on Bequin.

Hey I just finished the second bequin book and it was the best Warhammer book I've read? I've done eisenhorn and ravenor, gaunts and night lords, infinite/divine and Reign. And ciaphas.

I was thinking of reading more Warhammer.. maybe something like siege of terra? I'm just worried cause space marines are boring in most writers hands and the start of the first book is already dry..

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Serdain posted:

Hey I just finished the second bequin book and it was the best Warhammer book I've read? I've done eisenhorn and ravenor, gaunts and night lords, infinite/divine and Reign. And ciaphas.

I was thinking of reading more Warhammer.. maybe something like siege of terra? I'm just worried cause space marines are boring in most writers hands and the start of the first book is already dry..

I feel like all I do is recommend Chris Wraight, but seriously pick up Carrion Throne to start with. Unbeliavbly good, easily one of the best ever warhammer novels, and the entire trilogy is peak 40k.

Sinner Sandwich
Oct 13, 2012

Serdain posted:

The Vaults of Terra books are really cool if you want more Inquisition stuff, and if you want some (kinda) Heresy-era stuff that isn't just Space Marines all the time, the Valdor book is also a lot of fun. Definitely check out the audiobook version.

If you want more of the weird gothic horror stuff that was pretty pervasive through Bequin, I'd recommend Peter Fehevari. His stuff is its own little fiefdom of WEIRD poo poo, but its good. Very good. Also his Space Marines are cool.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Serdain posted:

A lot of the heresy is boring and/or bad, but there are a couple of little mini-series within it that are good

The First Heretic (ADB), Know No Fear (Abnett), and Betrayer (ADB) form a trilogy around the Word Bearers, World Eaters, and Ultramarines. Betrayer is one of my favourite Warhammer books.

A Thousand Sons (Graham McNeill), and Prospero Burns are a duology centred around the Thousand Sons, and Space Wolves. Prospero Burns in particular does the heroic task of making the Space Wolves actually interesting and weird, and not just Wolf Wolf Mc Wolvesalot.

Outside of the Heresy, read the two Twice Dead King books (Ruin, and Reign) by Nate Crowley.

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Aug 10, 2023

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

The usual BL rule holds for the siege books: the good authors did good ones, the bad authors are skippable.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Scars and Path of Heaven is another great mini story within HH, Path of Heaven in particular rules

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Brutal Kunnin' and especially Warboss get the Imperium where so many other books don't.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

Serdain posted:

I recommend checking out Peter Fehervari's works. Requiem Infernal is probably the best horror book I've read from the Black Library (despite hilariously enough not having the label). His space marines tend to be very unique.

Also just finished the Fabious Bile trilogy. Somewhat recommend it, even if I didn't love it.

Laughing Zealot fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Aug 10, 2023

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
[b]BUNNIES ARE CUTE BUT DEADLY/b]
I cannot recommend The infinite and the Divine enough. It is my favourite Bl 40k novel

Molothecat
Jul 25, 2007

Wrath, hate, pain, and death!

bunnyofdoom posted:

I cannot recommend The infinite and the Divine enough. It is my favourite Bl 40k novel

This is 100% right. Throw in Double Eagle.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Not gonna lie, I got a little emotional during Double Eagle.

Would it have killed you to pen Double Eagle 2 before End and the Death Pt 3, Dan????

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

wiegieman posted:

He's like a black hole with something human-like stretched across it.

yeah. honestly one of my favorite things about the heresy is the traitors start out sorta "noble" ish enough and by the end they are just gibbering psychos.

Sextro posted:

1. Curze had the all-black eyes because he was designed as The Goth One, and that just happened to also be a Nostramo thing.

2. In the case of the Thousand Sons the instability was only cured via their primarch making a deal with daemons, and for the Blood Angels/Space Wolves their respective primarchs basically just put a big ol' glamour over the issues via their cult(s) of personality.

i mean the blood angels are basicaly the world eaters until sanguinus comes and gives them greater purprose then chasing addictions and feeding and gives them(espsicually the younger/new ones) actual nobility, it was always under the surface with the horror and poo poo but even after angel at poo poo, they still mostly keep it.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. honestly one of my favorite things about the heresy is the traitors start out sorta "noble" ish enough and by the end they are just gibbering psychos.

They go so loving insane and overboard that they lose any real ground to stand on with their complaints to the point that the Khan, who does not like the Imperium and how rigid everything is, goes "Yeah Dad was right you hosed all this up, turned into a monster and absolutely betrayed both your sons and your ideals and I see why he didn't tell us poo poo" to Mortarian.

Edit: They go so insane that one of the defining things about the Black Legion is they don't give a poo poo about the chaos Primarchs because they are essentially worthless for any grand scheme strategies because it's all about their pet schemes now.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Aug 11, 2023

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

AndyElusive posted:

Not gonna lie, I got a little emotional during Double Eagle.

Would it have killed you to pen Double Eagle 2 before End and the Death Pt 3, Dan????

All you're getting before Interceptor City releases in 2944 is the Apostle's Creed short story from the first Sabbat Worlds collection.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
Reading First and Only for the first time and boy this book really moves, huh? something is always happening every couple pages, people are dying and politicking and then here's a cliffhanger, a flashback, a flashback cliffhanger, then back to the action

it's neat.

not loving this Milo kid, who seems to me to be "what if Wesley Crusher had precognition?", but maybe he just needs to grow on me

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

WarpDogs posted:

not loving this Milo kid, who seems to me to be "what if Wesley Crusher had precognition?", but maybe he just needs to grow on me

He will. Unless you're a null and predisposed to hating good characters for no reason and also not having a soul.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
The nice thing about the Gaunt’s Ghosts novels is that there is always a chance any given character is going to die a horrible death. :v:

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Arc Hammer posted:

All you're getting before Interceptor City releases in 2944 is the Apostle's Creed short story from the first Sabbat Worlds collection.

:negative: :rip:

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020

WarpDogs posted:

Reading First and Only for the first time and boy this book really moves, huh? something is always happening every couple pages, people are dying and politicking and then here's a cliffhanger, a flashback, a flashback cliffhanger, then back to the action

it's neat.

I was worried that the books after Ghostmaker would feel less expansive due to being set on a single planet over the whole volume, but fortunately it's not an issue at all.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i mean the blood angels are basicaly the world eaters until sanguinus comes

Hell, they're arguably worse, since the World Eaters aren't running around eating the dead and slurping brains directly out of skulls. Pre-Sanguinius Blood Angels/Revenant Legion were scary nightmare creatures cosplaying as men.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Legion and chapter rivalries are nothing new but have there been any notable additions to the Big Rivalries list?
Thousand Sons vs Space Wolves
Iron Warriors vs Imperial Fists
Emperor's Children vs Iron Hands
Word Bearers vs Ultramarines
Dark Angels vs Space Wolves - Bromance Tier

I know there's plenty of one-sided hate boners among the traitor legions that tend to get directed against the Ultras but are there anymore of those that are mutual drop everything and throw punches hatreds?