Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Son of Sorrow posted:

I was talking about political groups. You know, organizing ballot initiatives and pressuring politicians to regulate corporate carbon output and introduce mitigating legislation. I don't know where people got this idea that I'm a fed trying to entrap them.

someone take the “how do you do fellow kids” meme and put the tardigrade on his head with “how do you do fellow doomers” as the caption. TYIA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

chairface posted:

how long until the space laser in our volcano base is operational so we can force world leaders to address climate change?

yeah, about that

we picked the wrong volcano

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

BCR posted:

So I thought this might help with the different things going on.

This is a list of $100 worth of stuff that will help when a weather event is going on. There are lists of storm or fire stuff online from state governments and the Red Cross. Mine is from living through a couple of flood events and at the time living on $10 a day. There was also the chance I would have my stuff stolen. I was living in a share house with 20ish people from a range of backgrounds. So this was all stuff that I could lose if need be and not be too upset.

It has its limitations. I don’t think it will be very comfortable. It may be more comfortable than an evacuation centre. Heat domes are pretty much going to be find AC, stay in the shade, drink water. Its not going to be a long term solution if infrastructure really breaks down. That would come from being part of a group or community and giving and receiving mutual aid.

With that said:

3 x 20 litre buckets - $24

1 x toilet seat - $10

1 x 50 trash bag roll - $10

1 x 2.5 litre plain bleach - $5

1 x box-cutter - $3 (for a few more dollars, the cheapest generic multitool would be handier)

1 x single canister gas camping stove - $25

1 x 4 pack of butane canisters - $6

1 x LED torch with battery - $3

1 x duct tape - $4

1 x 5kg bag of rice - $7

1 x peanut butter jar - $3

For $100 total.

Different things may be cheaper where you are. I could also store all this in 2 of the buckets and not take up too much space.

The thinking behind it.

1) Toilet seat, 1 of the buckets and a trash bag makes a toilet. In the floods and a couple of rain events the sewage and water treatment plants went offline in my area. They stayed offline until the waters went down and area cleaned up.

2) Fill the other 2 buckets with water ahead of the storm or event. Tap drinking water if you’re lucky. If there's a bathtub, fill that as well for cleaning or drinking water. To make drinking water you boil at least 3 minutes. Then add 10 drops bleach to 4 litres of water. Stir the water well. Wait 30 minutes before drinking. If its still raining and you have an empty bucket, you can use your trash bags and duct tape to help gather rainwater.

3) The gas camping cooker can boil water and cook. Rice for hot calories. Peanut butter for cold calories. Hopefully you’ve got some condiments around or whats left in the fridge before it goes off.

4) Trash bags. Can make rain coat, cover windows, used in poop bucket, used as a bag. Double bag any clothes or valuables. Keeps them dry and also makes them look less valuable.

Does anyone else have some ideas for a $100 kit?

Couldn't you detach a toilet seat that's already around and use that for the duration of the disaster?

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

overcome with emotion at the sight of a living frog. a biblical angel could not be as exciting or as pure

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Hey guys just asking questions. I don’t want to become an eco terrorist or anything. How would I stop mega corps, the military, and the full weight of the world’s governments to stop climate change? Again, I AM NOT WANTING to become an Eco terrorist. Maybe a mailing list I can join or a recycling center for plastics that go directly to the landfill? Thank you so much! 😊

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

moana posted:

Thank you. Doesn't look like there's anything left. Just learned my sister couldn't get her cats out. Man, I'm just... this is crushing.

gently caress that's awful, I'm so sorry for your and your family's loss.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

FlapYoJacks posted:

Hey guys just asking questions. I don’t want to become an eco terrorist or anything. How would I stop mega corps, the military, and the full weight of the world’s governments to stop climate change? Again, I AM NOT WANTING to become an Eco terrorist. Maybe a mailing list I can join or a recycling center for plastics that go directly to the landfill? Thank you so much! 😊

one word: glue

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Zodium posted:

one word: glue

I tried making my own gorilla glue and was arrested. Turns out they’re endangered?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Used to have a cheap ~ $10 combo thing that was am/fm/weather + cruddy flashlight + you charge it by crank

You really had to crank the gently caress out of it to keep it charged. I think there are versions that can charge your phone and maybe have a power input or built in lil solar panel.

If you want to go further you can get an actual panel and charge controller and durable versions of these items but I doubt you can stay under $100.

Puppy Burner
Sep 9, 2011
Big iron spikes, a sledgehammer, and whichever tree shouldn't be cut down

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

FlapYoJacks posted:

have you considered canvassing for a centrist dem running in a red district

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
[me, on a date]

good evening m'lady. oh this? yes, you see, i've spent :10bux: on these large glasses with a fake nose and mustache to mask my true identity while courting, as women have a reputation for being angry, irrational, and vindictive. just wanted to state that up front. wh--where are you going?! wow. unbelievable. this proves my point exactly.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

skooma512 posted:

Couldn't you detach a toilet seat that's already around and use that for the duration of the disaster?

You could do that too. Depends on your circumstances. It would free up some $$$ for something else.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

i didnt have hawaii burning down on my predictions list. this is so hosed

Mykroft
Aug 25, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

moana posted:

Thank you. Doesn't look like there's anything left. Just learned my sister couldn't get her cats out. Man, I'm just... this is crushing.

That is awful to hear, echoing the condolences from other goons.

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014
hello im recruiting for my elite squad of climate warriors, PM me for details

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

moana posted:

That's awful man, I'm sorry to hear it

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

moana posted:

How do I pause a gif, my mom's house is in two of these pictures and I want to zoom in.

For gifs I convert to mp4 makes it easier to edit on mobile. The reddit link to the gif will work for this, it goes from 90mb to 4mb (according to my phone).

I used this site: https://ezgif.com/gif-to-mp4
Not sure why hyperlinking breaks bbcode.

FlapYoJacks posted:

Instead of ecoterrorism, you should try freedom fighting!

The Demilich has issued a correction as of 00:50 on Aug 10, 2023

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
gently caress that's sad, I'm real down now

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

moana posted:

gently caress

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014
turning my airconditioner on and opening all my windows in solidarity

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

oh moana that is terrible :( thoughts and prayers are the most useless thing imaginable at times like this, but it's all we have. praying for your family, especially your poor sister. what an awful thing to go through.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

I'm going to go into severe depression when it comes to light the biosphere in that area has been eradicated. I don't even know where the animals could have gone.

I'm sorry you and your family have to live through this Moana

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

FlapYoJacks posted:

It's like if you imagine capitalism as a 1000 car train packed to the gills with fossil fuels and plastic crap (with some solar panels on the roof of the locomotive to run the AC) and you come in asking the best sized coin you can put on the track to derail it.

The train is also one of those WW1 armoured things with cannons and poo poo, clearing out anyone who dares come near the tracks.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

starkebn posted:

It's like if you imagine capitalism as a 1000 car train packed to the gills with fossil fuels and plastic crap (with some solar panels on the roof of the locomotive to run the AC) and you come in asking the best sized coin you can put on the track to derail it.

The train is also one of those WW1 armoured things with cannons and poo poo, clearing out anyone who dares come near the tracks.

The train is also dumping 100,000,000% more carbon in a day than you can make in a year. The engineer is on the loud speaker asking you to water your lawn less.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

there’s a fuckin awesome tree in the center of town there called a Banyan Tree that’s been there for like 150 years and it’s probably just a smoldering trunk now. gently caress
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banyan_tree_in_Lahaina

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Pussy Quipped posted:

there’s a fuckin awesome tree in the center of town there called a Banyan Tree that’s been there for like 150 years and it’s probably just a smoldering trunk now. gently caress
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banyan_tree_in_Lahaina

it might still be alive, definitely badly burnt but the branches and some of the foliage are still there

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Vox Nihili posted:

X-posting the less disturbing escape from Lahaina video from the weather thread (extreme destruction but no bodies or anything in this one)

https://twitter.com/StrictlyChristo/status/1689356760476499968

Reminds me of the Santa Rosa fire in norcal. Swept in within a matter of hours and caught people totally off-guard.

I hope these people maintain this level of energy going into the polls in 15 months

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
[Biosphere Collapse] What can I say except, "You're welcome"

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014
Well, come to think of it
thread, honestly I could go on and on
I could explain every unnatural phenomenon
The cars, the smog, melted ice on the ground
Oh, that was the Biosphere just messing around
I killed an oil exec
I buried their guts
Sprouted a tree, now you got premo woodcuts
What's the lesson?
What is the take-away?
Don't mess with the biosphere it'll take your breath-away
And the fire here on my skin
Is a map of humans in the bin
Look where I've been
I make everything happen
Look at that mean mini-bdelloid just tickety-tappin'
(Ha ha ha ha ha ha, hey)

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
*pain*

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
https://data.usatoday.com/fires/

shits on fire, yo

OIL PANIC
Dec 22, 2022

CAUTIONS
4. ... (If the battery is exhausted, the display of the liquid crystal will become vague and difficult to look at.)
7. Do not use volatile oils such as thinner or benzine and alcohol for wiping.
/.

OIL PANIC has issued a correction as of 02:45 on Aug 10, 2023

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

maybe this doesn't look so bad if i zoom out, to put it in context

ah

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook
based on my prior post:

https://candorium.com/news/20230809...r-swiss-re-says

insurers are completely going to pave the road of moral justification of the largest upward wealth transfer we’ve ever seen. Between municipalities going ham on property tax, insurers dropping out or demanding 4x current premiums, utilities just charging whatever they can get away with in times of climate stress and normalizing that because “iNfRaStRuCtUrE” to be just the rate, most of the 3-2 middle class of homeowners left are set to be part of the homeless real fast.

FORUMS USER 1135
Jan 14, 2004

Rock Puncher posted:

Well, come to think of it
thread, honestly I could go on and on
I could explain every unnatural phenomenon
The cars, the smog, melted ice on the ground
Oh, that was the Biosphere just messing around
I killed an oil exec
I buried their guts
Sprouted a tree, now you got premo woodcuts
What's the lesson?