Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Ytlaya posted:

To connect early Ippo with current Ippo, Hayami is a weird character. Takamura is super impressed by him when they first see him fight, and even says he's better than Miyata in many ways. But after losing to Ippo, Hayami just eats poo poo and loses like 10 times in a row and is still going at it (and losing) in the present.

The recent-ish thing of him showing up was kind of interesting. I guess it was meant as a juxtaposition between Ippo retiring while Hayami is still motivated despite being doomed and losing constantly.

Also, I completely forgot that Kobashi briefly became Japanese champion in a different weight class (where he beat Hayami lol).
Hayami's record, for reference:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Ytlaya posted:

To connect early Ippo with current Ippo, Hayami is a weird character. Takamura is super impressed by him when they first see him fight, and even says he's better than Miyata in many ways. But after losing to Ippo, Hayami just eats poo poo and loses like 10 times in a row and is still going at it (and losing) in the present.

The recent-ish thing of him showing up was kind of interesting. I guess it was meant as a juxtaposition between Ippo retiring while Hayami is still motivated despite being doomed and losing constantly.

Also, I completely forgot that Kobashi briefly became Japanese champion in a different weight class (where he beat Hayami lol).

i liked his inclusion in those "recent" chapters a lot. same with when we checked in with ozuma and learned he had to retire due to damage from ippo. the theme of ippo carrying his opponent's dreams in his fist because boxing is a sport where you genuinely can ruin the career of your opponent with no malice at all is a neat one, and ippo's retirement leaves a sour taste for a lot of people that pinned (unfairly! but still) their dreams onto him.

its a theme very present in AnJ too, where Joe around the midpoint of the series fully commits to the idea that he's REQUIRED to keep boxing (and as a bantamweight at that) because of all the people he's crippled (or worse). eventually joe owns up to actually loving boxing, but a huge amount of his decisions are motivated by his nonstop memories of the damage he has caused to others. ippo doesn't internalize that obligation yet, but i do think it'll be addressed before he returns

BHB
Aug 28, 2011

No Wave posted:

Hayami's record, for reference:

lol gently caress

but then getting KO'd by Kobashi would destroy anyone.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Hayami is noted to suffer from a glass jaw after Ippo beat him.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 17 days!)

just about all the rookies ippo beat got a glass jaw now

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Ah, I remember it as Hayami always having a glass jaw, that Ippo exploited (and it just wasn't revealed before because Hayami almost never gets hit). I'm almost to the Hayami fight so I guess I'll be reminded how that went.

Btw, more funny "Ippo fawning over Miyata" stuff - https://mangadex.org/chapter/44285ebd-1ce4-42be-a58a-78041929bb28/12

edit: Ah, so Hayami's glass jaw doesn't come up during the match, I remembered wrong. Ippo basically manages to pull off his counter, and Hayami's punches are much weaker after that, so Ippo just beats him in a prolonged exchange.

Edit2: The Mashiba fight is kind of goofy in that it's predicated on Ippo somehow making a fist with a hand that is so shattered that his fractured bones are piercing his skin. I'm pretty sure the injury as described would permanently cripple your hand and take way longer than 2 months to heal. It is badass how he fucks up Mashiba's elbow so much that he can't even lift his arm.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Aug 5, 2023

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm up to soon before the Volg fight, and early-ish Ippo is such a good sports manga. Miyata is also a pretty interesting and atypical "rival" character, as someone who struggles and does more poorly than the protagonist early on, despite being an "elite genius"-type character.

I think my only gripe is that Ippo really gets no clear solid wins to speak of, outside of his literal first fight. Even ones I barely remembered (like that guy at Date's gym) almost beat Ippo before he barely pulls off a win.

It's funny how consistently worthless Kamogawa is. In the Saeki fight he's like "OH NO, IPPO IS DOOMED, HE CAN'T POSSIBLY WIN" (after giving him the brilliant advice of "just punch him once!") and Ippo has to independently come up with a strategy. Which he does, and it's pretty clever. He knows Saeki will aim for his blind spot, and he pays attention to his rhythm to time it right. Maybe Kamogawa could have suggested it to him if he was a good coach/second!

And in the chapter I just read, Volg's coach owns Kamogawa by telling him "lots of these promising Japanese fighters are destroyed because they keep trying to push through with spirit alone."

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Kamogawa is actually a bad coach, good evaluator of talent, but a bad coaching second. It is known.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

I think Takamura would have done as good with any coach, he's just so OP in every aspect naturally. He spends most of his weight control and training on his own and pilgrimages for 90% of his screentime when its not dick joke time

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
new chapter is out 1431

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Next chapter: Ippo becomes a southpaw

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Ippo switched stances in like his very first fight and then never again. Well, he does do switch hitting but that's not the same.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Interesting reading this chapter after just recently having read the original chapters of Miyata and Ippo's fights against Mashiba.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

though the disparity btwn what we know ippo as and how mashiba remembers him was a really neat touch.

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed
Just put a sign outside the gym inviting in any and all sparring partners!

Also, lol that Itagaki is so prominent in Mashiba's concept of people in his corner. I think they were sparring partners once, but have they interacted outside of that?

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Larry Cum Free posted:

Just put a sign outside the gym inviting in any and all sparring partners!

Also, lol that Itagaki is so prominent in Mashiba's concept of people in his corner. I think they were sparring partners once, but have they interacted outside of that?

Itagaki is arguably Mashiba's only friend on-panel, largely due to his impudent but rational nature. I think he was the first person to hit Mashiba with "Kumi's a grown woman" to get him to back off the overprotectiveness.

Beyond him you only ever see him be consistently nice to family and coworkers and now this dead parole officer guy

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

How has Itagaki been doing lately? According to the wiki he's just been getting a ton of technical wins. Can't remember where he is in the rankings, though.

Edit: It's also funny in hindsight how poor Geromichi gets shuffled off so Ippo can get a better looking junior later. Though at least he shows up again as Hammer Nao and gets to fight Ippo.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Itagaki has been doing bad. He's barely winning fights and he's the one person who doesn't benefit from Ippo's improved knowledge because Shinoda is there to be wrong about everything.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
He just has not seemed to have recovered from his Championship loss.

He's won all his matches since his comeback, but has yet to get another KO or TKO, despite being able to in all but two of his prior wins. His record is currently 17(10)-2-0

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Aug 9, 2023

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

MonsterEnvy posted:

I still wonder if the issue is HIS loss, or Ippo's losses/retirement. He might have the Miyata problem.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

CharlestonJew posted:

Next chapter: Ippo becomes a southpaw

would not be surprised at all if they call upon Ippo as the closest thing they could find as a sparring partner, and to 'help out as best as he can', he just starts sparring south paw, and it's another bag of tricks Retired Ippo managed to train up from his coaching exp. and actually able to push Mashiba with it.

The chapter was pretty neat. Especially with the bit where Mashiba actually didn't wanna fight THAT dirty against Miyata, but he got pushed hard enough and 'that guy' took over. And the shadow of that guy getting punched up by Ippo lol.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

GateOfD posted:

would not be surprised at all if they call upon Ippo as the closest thing they could find as a sparring partner, and to 'help out as best as he can', he just starts sparring south paw, and it's another bag of tricks Retired Ippo managed to train up from his coaching exp. and actually able to push Mashiba with it.

mashiba not processing any of the strategy in the present because his inner self is screaming that this is his chance to kill ippo and have it be plausibly legal to get away with would be funny, and then he has to flashback to it mid-fight and fight with his inner self then about whether or not to listen to that rear end in a top hat

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Ytlaya posted:

I think my only gripe is that Ippo really gets no clear solid wins to speak of, outside of his literal first fight. Even ones I barely remembered (like that guy at Date's gym) almost beat Ippo before he barely pulls off a win.

Heh, in my most recent re-read attempt I noticed the opposite: I was surprised at how may fights he (at least in retrospect) won pretty handily. Date's #2 is one that I specifically noted as being a clean win since Ippo, despite taking some hits, pretty thoroughly wrecks his poo poo and gets the KO in round 1 of a 10 round fight.

GateOfD posted:

Not sure how it would work out with his own fight prep, but Sendo is already left handed... Maybe if something about Mashiba would help him prep for Ricardo?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

MonsterEnvy posted:

He's won all his matches since his comeback, but has yet to get another KO or TKO, despite being able to in all but two of his prior wins. His record is currently 17(10)-2-0
I agree that the narrative suggests Itagaki is performing below his wildly high potential, but winning on points isnt any less of a win than winning by KO.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

agreed, I can get why Ippo isn't coaching him, because his style is totally different from Itagakis, but remember that he was the one Ippo passed the baton to? I guess that part was forgotten.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

we'll have to wait for the spinoff, Itagakimasu

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

No Wave posted:

I agree that the narrative suggests Itagaki is performing below his wildly high potential, but winning on points isnt any less of a win than winning by KO.

For some Boxers it feels like less of a win because it shows they struggled and couldn’t just lay out their opponent. Itagaki is stated as struggling.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

MonsterEnvy posted:

For some Boxers it feels like less of a win because it shows they struggled and couldn’t just lay out their opponent. Itagaki is stated as struggling.

He's been clear its not how he wants to win and it feels like he's forcing himself to work a style that isn't to his strengths. I hope before Ippo returns to the ring he can get him right as his last thing as a coach taking one of these youngsters to a Japanese title.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

No Wave posted:

in the internal logic of HnI it is, it's kinda always been written that way

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
I also don't think there's ever been a decision win that hasn't been met with resounding boos from the audience in Ippo.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

TaurusOxford posted:

I also don't think there's ever been a decision win that hasn't been met with resounding boos from the audience in Ippo.

Itagaki's first decision win was well received, as was Volg and Sendo's.

It's largely Aoki and Kimura who have gotten boo decisions cause they keep making asses of themselves.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

i think both Volg and Sendo were unhappy about the biased decision and wish it ended in KO, even if they were the one that would have hit the mat.

Do you think the gym is paying Ippo to coach? They never bring up money much, but I can see Ippo just going there coaching and helping for free..or if he actually pays the regular gym membership fees after he retired. I assume after he went pro, the gym sponsors him + gets a cut of earnings.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Itagaki's problem is less that he wins by decision and more that he seems to have found his ceiling with his inability to take the Japanese title. Granted, his losses seemed to be less a skill issue and more a tactical and mental one, but we've seen how long it's taken Ippo to start moving past his mental block (and Aokimura have arguably never gotten past theirs0

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

GateOfD posted:

i think both Volg and Sendo were unhappy about the biased decision and wish it ended in KO, even if they were the one that would have hit the mat.

Do you think the gym is paying Ippo to coach? They never bring up money much, but I can see Ippo just going there coaching and helping for free..or if he actually pays the regular gym membership fees after he retired. I assume after he went pro, the gym sponsors him + gets a cut of earnings.

I think it was mentioned that Ippo gets payed as a trainer. He's directly mentoring two of the gyms members, so he's presumably the same as Shinoda right now.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

He should probably get paid more than Shinoda

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Takes No Damage posted:

Heh, in my most recent re-read attempt I noticed the opposite: I was surprised at how may fights he (at least in retrospect) won pretty handily. Date's #2 is one that I specifically noted as being a clean win since Ippo, despite taking some hits, pretty thoroughly wrecks his poo poo and gets the KO in round 1 of a 10 round fight.

Not sure how it would work out with his own fight prep, but Sendo is already left handed... Maybe if something about Mashiba would help him prep for Ricardo?

He wins quickly (partly because his early matches are 4-rounders), but almost always with significant damage and some sort of "losing scare."

I think Hayami and his very first fight are the only truly one-sided fights so far. Hayami one was good because it was also a surprise given all his build-up.

lt's also kind of comical how Ippo's fights usually end with his opponents being like "I have a new lease on life and am excited to keep boxing," and then they just quit either immediately or after one more fight. Ippo's first opponent is particularly funny. He develops a new passion for boxing after his loss and decides not to quit...only to immediately be like "actually I obviously don't have what it takes" and quits and becomes fat.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

SyntheticPolygon posted:

He should probably get paid more than Shinoda
He should get paid more than Kamogawa too.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Ytlaya posted:

lt's also kind of comical how Ippo's fights usually end with his opponents being like "I have a new lease on life and am excited to keep boxing," and then they just quit either immediately or after one more fight. Ippo's first opponent is particularly funny. He develops a new passion for boxing after his loss and decides not to quit...only to immediately be like "actually I obviously don't have what it takes" and quits and becomes fat.

Considering the state of the sport in a lot of countries, this might actually be one of the most realistic parts of HnI.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

One other element to the earlier manga I like is how Umezawa quietly struggles with his guilt over bullying Ippo for a long time. A lesser series would have just brushed that aside.

Edit: IIRC doesn't he finally explicitly apologize at some point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

One other element to the earlier manga I like is how Umezawa quietly struggles with his guilt over bullying Ippo for a long time. A lesser series would have just brushed that aside.

Edit: IIRC doesn't he finally explicitly apologize at some point?

yes, but ippo being ippo he basically downplays it entirely, instead just pointing out that they are friends. he also attempts to apologize to mama makunouchi and she does something similar, but sterner. his working at the fishing business is sorta his "first step" into a reformed man, after he's acknowledged his past. then his sorta actualization moment is when he shifts over to being a manga artist