Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

hatty posted:

I use my iPad vertically unless I’m watching a video or reading a comic

Why would you read comics in landscape? An iPad in portrait is like the perfect aspect ratio for a comic book page.

Xabi posted:

I haven’t been following iPhone rumours lately. Is USB-C the only new feature worth to mention with the 15 - and are we sure that’s even happening?

iPhone 15 Ultra with a periscope camera, perhaps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

101 posted:

Why would you read comics in landscape? An iPad in portrait is like the perfect aspect ratio for a comic book page.

I have the Big Pad and double page spreads looks really nice

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

EL BROMANCE posted:

Rotating the iPad is a natural act due to its size, rotating an iPhone outside of video playback is the act of a heretic.

If the Photos app had an option to let you rotate the lightbox despite the orientation lock, I would never need to change it and could remove it from Control Centre.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

101 posted:

If you set mangadex to fit-vertical, you can run two apps and the size of the page won't noticeably change.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Big reason I use the Mute switch is it seems to be the only way instagram doesn’t auto start blasting whatever video is on it. There’s probably a setting I’m missing somewhere though.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Duckman2008 posted:

Big reason I use the Mute switch is it seems to be the only way instagram doesn’t auto start blasting whatever video is on it. There’s probably a setting I’m missing somewhere though.

There is. Long press on the Instagram app, tap “remove app”, then tap “delete app”. Pretty simple imo 🤷‍♀️

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

There is. Long press on the Instagram app, tap “remove app”, then tap “delete app”. Pretty simple imo 🤷‍♀️

This is a great recommendation.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

As long as you mute suggested posts IG is one of the only good ones.

I used my mute switch one time over 10 years ago, I guess I could give it up but I also don't know what I would do with an assignable button.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Gonna set my Power Button to activate the tick tick tick tick sound when I’m typing.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I basically have my phone permanently on silent anyway, but being able to glance at the size and see the little bright orange tab is nice when I’m at the cinema or a theatre show or something and so I know it won’t make any noise.

Although having a hardware switch also means we don’t get the option of automating silent/noisy via Shortcuts. :(

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

101 posted:

Landscape is pretty much the exact aspect ratio of a two-page spread, so why wouldn't you read it that way unless you just can't read the writing (which is a perfectly valid reason!). (Of course, I have a Pro Big, so I basically never use it in portrait)

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Jose Oquendo posted:

Make sure it's as horizontal as you can get it. I know when I put mine on my stand, I have to nudge it just right so it kicks in.
See, I think this is what I'm doing, but Standby still isn't working for me :( Last night I opened a tab in Chrome in landscape mode to make sure it had rotated properly, put the phone on my charge stand and nothing. It still stayed in portrait mode. I even turned Standby off in settings and then back on just to see if that would do anything, but nope.

This was my most anticipated feature of iOS17 and it's a bummer that it isn't working for me.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

hatty posted:

I have the Big Pad and double page spreads looks really nice

Mister Facetious posted:

If you set mangadex to fit-vertical, you can run two apps and the size of the page won't noticeably change.

Endless Mike posted:

Landscape is pretty much the exact aspect ratio of a two-page spread, so why wouldn't you read it that way unless you just can't read the writing (which is a perfectly valid reason!). (Of course, I have a Pro Big, so I basically never use it in portrait)

Hmm. I'll give it a go

Mister Facetious posted:

If you set mangadex

Just in case you don't know, there's an open-source app called Aidoku for reading Manga, and it's great. Supports a tonne of websites and can sync your progress to AniList/MAL

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

101 posted:

Hmm. I'll give it a go

Just in case you don't know, there's an open-source app called Aidoku for reading Manga, and it's great. Supports a tonne of websites and can sync your progress to AniList/MAL

I don't use anilist or mal, i only use mangadex :effort:, but I'll take a look.

My question to ya'll:

Anyone know what the likely cause for the touchscreen not working properly is, even when cleaned and after restarting? Swiping is messed up, and the letter i is straight up not selectable (iPhone 11).
My guess is battery swelling or age, as i was planning to replace it (the battery) this year. Might have to move it up to this weekend.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mister Facetious posted:

I don't use anilist or mal, i only use mangadex :effort:, but I'll take a look.

My question to ya'll:

Anyone know what the likely cause for the touchscreen not working properly is, even when cleaned and after restarting? Swiping is messed up, and the letter i is straight up not selectable (iPhone 11).
My guess is battery swelling or age, as i was planning to replace it (the battery) this year. Might have to move it up to this weekend.

Battery is a good possibility, water damage is always a possibility, if it was dropped also a possibility. I would take it to apple and see what they say.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

So I am trying to setup a shared photo library for myself and my wife. I am pretty sure have it so it auto shared photos that I take with my camera to our shared library, but is there a way to shared pictures that I save from texts to the shared library? As of now I have to go to photos and select move to shared library for every pic that we save that are texted to us.

We basically want to have one photo library between the two of us. We use to just both use the same Apple ID and that worked good, but it seems it messes up our medical data/workout data.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

badjohny posted:

So I am trying to setup a shared photo library for myself and my wife. I am pretty sure have it so it auto shared photos that I take with my camera to our shared library, but is there a way to shared pictures that I save from texts to the shared library? As of now I have to go to photos and select move to shared library for every pic that we save that are texted to us.

We basically want to have one photo library between the two of us. We use to just both use the same Apple ID and that worked good, but it seems it messes up our medical data/workout data.

Try Google Photos, I love it and it has all my photos for lotsa years. I like many of its features better than iCloud and that includes sharing. iCloud is fine these days probably, dunno about your specific question, I’ve used iCloud shared albums a time or two. Maybe no way around it since apps can’t access your texts / iMessage for most part.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Aug 11, 2023

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I also recommend this method. Works well on my phone.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

But instagram is where all my favorite photographers post their stuff! There's no other options out there that hit critical mass, everyone that's tried has crashed and burned.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

xzzy posted:

But instagram is where all my favorite photographers post their stuff! There's no other options out there that hit critical mass, everyone that's tried has crashed and burned.

Flickr was 1000x better for actual photography a decade before, but got bought by Yahoo and ruined.

Instagram doesn’t even have decent picture size / resolution, is horrible on desktop.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Friendly reminder that Google Photos makes it incredibly difficult to export your photos full resolution with the exif location data in tact.

That alone swore me off of Google Photos. Stop compressing my poo poo, Google.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

badjohny posted:

Wife and I have a shared photo library of our kid and it works well but I don't think there's a way to automatically make that the default that saving photos from texts goes straight there. Maybe Apple adds some more features to shared photo library but as of rn in iOS 17 that is not an option.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Corb3t posted:

Friendly reminder that Google Photos makes it incredibly difficult to export your photos full resolution with the exif location data in tact.

That alone swore me off of Google Photos. Stop compressing my poo poo, Google.

Yeah afaik Amazon photos doesn’t do this and it’s free if you have a prime account.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

wooger posted:

Instagram doesn’t even have decent picture size / resolution, is horrible on desktop.

It's less about quality and more about actually seeing new work. No one posts their stuff anywhere else.

There have been startups targeted at Instagram photographers, trying to lure them high res uploads and they still didn't switch.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Is there any (premium?) app which will give me the location history timeline like you get on Google Maps, but which won’t sell/monetize my location history? I realize this might be a pretty niche product to the point it doesn’t exist but curious.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I think there are apps that do that for mileage tracking, for people who need to report that on their taxes. I used one years ago but don’t remember the name.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I was going to post this in HoTS, but this is an iPhone/iTunes issue, and they said that that isn't a computer issue.

My iPhone only syncs to my PC correctly every other time I connect it. For example, if I have imported new music not from the iTunes store into iTunes, it will not sync to my iPhone unless I sync a second time. Does anyone know how to fix this?

iOS is 16.6, iTunes is 12.12.9.4, iPhone is a second-gen SE, PC runs Windows 11.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Autocorrect just changed an innocent word I was typing to ‘gently caress’. iOS 17 making up for all the ducking autocorrects and ifs a beautiful thing.

E: also tried to autocorrect *from* ducking to loving. Yes!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

Autocorrect just changed an innocent word I was typing to ‘gently caress’. iOS 17 making up for all the ducking autocorrects and ifs a beautiful thing.

E: also tried to autocorrect *from* ducking to loving. Yes!

Feature of the year right here

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Im getting crazy amounts of voicemail spam now. Half dozen times, daily. I have unknown callers silenced, but there’s no way to prevent voicemail spam right? I guess there’s no way to do that without also filtering out the doctors office calling me from a weird unlisted outgoing line, right?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

buglord posted:

Im getting crazy amounts of voicemail spam now. Half dozen times, daily. I have unknown callers silenced, but there’s no way to prevent voicemail spam right? I guess there’s no way to do that without also filtering out the doctors office calling me from a weird unlisted outgoing line, right?

You might be able to add another $5-10 to your phone bill if your cell provider offers spam filtering. No guarantee it works.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I never get the voicemail preview thing fast enough to take the call, but, also it's never calls I would have wanted to take so it's a wash.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Watch Apple keep the price of the 12 and 13 skus exactly the same, replace the 14 lineup with the 15, and the place the 15 pros at a higher price.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

mawarannahr posted:

You might be able to add another $5-10 to your phone bill if your cell provider offers spam filtering. No guarantee it works.

I wouldn’t pay for a carrier spam filter plan. In the US specific they are required to offer free spam blocking (which I recommend although it def varies on effectiveness).

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Duckman2008 posted:

I wouldn’t pay for a carrier spam filter plan. In the US specific they are required to offer free spam blocking (which I recommend although it def varies on effectiveness).

"T-Mobile does offer a limited free version of its Scam Shield app, but you'll need to upgrade to the Premium package to access its most important features. Scam Shield Premium costs an additional $4.00 per month for each line, and the cost is tacked onto your monthly bill."

Have not and do not intend to try

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

The only phones with macro mode are the 13 and 14 pro models, yeah?

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Edward Mass posted:

I was going to post this in HoTS, but this is an iPhone/iTunes issue, and they said that that isn't a computer issue.

My iPhone only syncs to my PC correctly every other time I connect it. For example, if I have imported new music not from the iTunes store into iTunes, it will not sync to my iPhone unless I sync a second time. Does anyone know how to fix this?

iOS is 16.6, iTunes is 12.12.9.4, iPhone is a second-gen SE, PC runs Windows 11.

What are you syncing with? Apple Devices or iTunes? Error messages? Are you using an official Apple lightning cable?

I'm using the Apple Music Preview with Apple Devices and I find that for some bizarre reason, every time I sync, a random single song that was recently added to my library won't sync and Apple Devices will just say it can't find the file. The file is still there, in the folder it always was located in but suddenly Apple Music won't play it unless I re-add it and I don't get the old iTunes "locate this file" prompt.

What I'm saying is, while Apple Music Preview may work better moment to moment, its still not ready for primetime and quite buggy. It also messed up half my album art which it overwrote with a random podcast's cover art.

Stick with iTunes for now.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
Overcast’s interface updates and lack of a global queue / up next system that works finally broke me this week. I tried out each of the big podcast apps again and re-settled on pocket casts for now.

I can select an episode, pick ‘up next’ and it will be played next, followed by everything else I’ve already queued. This concept seems to have been lost to Marco Arment of overcast. The button exists but it doesn’t work.

Anything else new & worthwhile in the market beyond Apple Podcasts, Castro, downcast, overcast other than the horrifying idea of using Spotify for podcasts?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

wooger posted:

Overcast’s interface updates and lack of a global queue / up next system that works finally broke me this week. I tried out each of the big podcast apps again and re-settled on pocket casts for now.

I can select an episode, pick ‘up next’ and it will be played next, followed by everything else I’ve already queued. This concept seems to have been lost to Marco Arment of overcast. The button exists but it doesn’t work.

Anything else new & worthwhile in the market beyond Apple Podcasts, Castro, downcast, overcast other than the horrifying idea of using Spotify for podcasts?

You tried pocket casts already?

Overcast has the best audio processing but man the interface sucks and does seem to keep changing. It's the worst app I use that's not something I am required to use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Doesn’t help that Marco isn’t a designer and won’t hire someone to handle that part of Overcast.

Also he doesn’t answer my emails about adding external chapter skip controls so I can do it with my steering wheel :colbert: