Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I simply cannot get BG3 to work! Heck! It just crashes on startup every single time. Everything is updated, running proton experimental (or any other proton) doesn't work.

I just want to be a literally handsome devil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I feel blessed that BG3 just works on my Steam Deck.

What settings are people using? I’m trying to run it at a consistent 30 and am mostly there at medium-ish to low.

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

if this accounts a rockin'
don't come a knockin'
How does that there System Shock remake hold up on yon Deck? Anyone know?

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Little difficult to read and navigate inventory on handheld but I dig it docked.

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004
"You got, uhh, Holden Caulfield in there, man?"

Minotaurus Rex posted:

How does that there System Shock remake hold up on yon Deck? Anyone know?

Haven't played it since launch but it ran like a dream. Controls were slightly iffy as they were clearly mouse+keyboard first but they were perfectly functional, not sure if any patches have come out since.

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

if this accounts a rockin'
don't come a knockin'
Nice! Might have to pick it up then

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Time posted:

I didn’t know people had data caps in 2023

My ISP has no data caps but my phone data most certainly has. Are there no data caps on cell data in the EU?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Weedle posted:

just wrapped up deus ex: mankind divided. this was the first aaa game i played start to finish on the deck and it was honestly the exact experience i was hoping to get from this handheld. the game works perfectly and performs great, and i wouldn’t have been able to have this experience on any other device. a+

Mankind Divided is straight up one of the best immersive sims ever made. I loved it.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Random question, but how did "immersive sim" become the term for games like Mankind Divided/Hitman/Dishonored?

The first time I heard the term I got super confused, because I expected it to be referring to something like, I dunno, Microsoft Flight Simulator, Euro Truck Simulator, or the older (non-horizon) Forza games.

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004

Annath posted:

Random question, but how did "immersive sim" become the term for games like Mankind Divided/Hitman/Dishonored?

IIRC Warren Spector used the term to describe his initial vision for Deus Ex (then called "Troubleshooter", i think) and the term stuck

e: just skimmed through Spector's excellent GDC talk https://youtu.be/tffX3VljTtI and he attributes the term to Doug Church who was one of the original Looking Glass guys

Voodoo Cafe fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Aug 10, 2023

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I vaguely remember it being a term Warren Spector coined around the Thief series. He's certainly used the term himself a fair bit in various articles and talks.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

tango alpha delta posted:

My ISP has no data caps but my phone data most certainly has. Are there no data caps on cell data in the EU?

There are caps, but it’s pretty affordable to have an unlimited plan. Though it looks about comparable?

I don’t really know what’s best in the US market but I hear MintMobile on podcast adverts. Their regular price looks like $30/mo for “unlimited” data on a 12 month contract. ThreeUK is £27/mo ($34, but our prices already include 20% tax) for similar.

Ours has fewer clauses though; the Mint one drops the speed after 40gb of usage and only allows 10gb of hotspot, where ours is truly unlimited in both respects. We also used to get roaming in other countries for free but since we Brexited our way out of the EU the carriers are slowly revoking those perks.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Or you could go to a civilized country like South Korea or Taiwan where there are no caps at all and they look at you funny if you ask what the monthly limit is. Lots of people have no home internet connection and just use their phone hotspot at home. Last time I was there I bought a sim for the month and used something like 1.2 TB through my phone data connection.

Dramicus fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Aug 10, 2023

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Several years back the uk suppliers tried to argue that hotspotting should be a separate charge from data use but got soundly thrashed by whichever regulators.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Annath posted:

Bad term made up by nerds who thought they were above “first person shooters”

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

jokes posted:

I simply cannot get BG3 to work! Heck! It just crashes on startup every single time. Everything is updated, running proton experimental (or any other proton) doesn't work.

I just want to be a literally handsome devil.

It’s verified now so you shouldn’t need to force a proton version at all.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Annath posted:

The first time I heard the term I got super confused, because I expected it to be referring to something like, I dunno, Microsoft Flight Simulator, Euro Truck Simulator, or the older (non-horizon) Forza games.

It's because of Warren Spector, the dude behind Deus Ex calling it that back then. It only makes sense in the context of the time, and the idea is to simulate the world and let the player accomplish the goal in any way they can figure out how... IN FIRST PERSON FULL 3D!

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
SFTPing Doom Eternal to my Deck from my PC because I keep getting write errors directly downloading to the Deck. Trying this workaround.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

SFTPing Doom Eternal to my Deck from my PC because I keep getting write errors directly downloading to the Deck. Trying this workaround.

By directly downloading you mean the steam's local download thing?

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Vic posted:

By directly downloading you mean the steam's local download thing?

I used to be able to download locally from my PC to the deck but that feature has mysteriously stopped working.

it's somehow routed through Valve's servers via Remote Play and both the Deck and the host PC have to be on the same subnet for it to work. I've verified that all those settings are correct, but the transfer local files feature does not activate at all.

e:lol, Doom Eternal goes through the motion of launching but drops me back to the play button. Hilarious. I guess I need to do more research on how Proton works or something.

Disk write error every time I try to launch the game. Weird. I'll try disabling updates? Hey, I'm learning how Linux works.

update:I fixed Doom Eternal with find .local/ -name "782330" -exec rm -rf {} +

I think this cleans up old files so that the game starts like a fresh install. Please teach me, Linux experts, because I really would like to get better at troubleshooting this stuff.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Aug 10, 2023

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Time posted:

I didn’t know people had data caps in 2023

I heard if you're in the south and you have Cox you're incredibly hosed in this regard.

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

sigher posted:

I heard if you're in the south and you have Cox you're incredibly hosed in this regard.

I'm in the midwest and I have Cox and my cap is 1.25 Tb a month. I'm on the highest tier.

You can get an unlimited data add on, but it's like $50 and I only rarely ever reach the cap.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

The gnashing of teeth over immersive sim as a term is dumb. Role Playing Game, what, you mean how you play the role of Doom Guy? What does Real Time Strategy actually say about the game being played, outside our assumptions based on prior knowledge that you control little dudes on the screen from top down with a mouse cursor? How is Metroidvania useful for someone who hasn't played Metroid or Castlevania?

It's the word for games that put you into a story, using a pastiche of familiar gameplay loops to lower friction (immersive) and provide you with options, including ones that the developers didn't necessarily account for, in a limited sandbox (simulation). Or it's the games where you choose shooty or stealth and jam 451 into the first numpad you come across.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

SCheeseman posted:

The gnashing of teeth over immersive sim as a term is dumb. Role Playing Game, what, you mean how you play the role of Doom Guy? What does Real Time Strategy actually say about the game being played, outside our assumptions based on prior knowledge that you control little dudes on the screen from top down with a mouse cursor? How is Metroidvania useful for someone who hasn't played Metroid or Castlevania?

It's the word for games that put you into a story, using a pastiche of familiar gameplay loops to lower friction (immersive) and provide you with options, including ones that the developers didn't necessarily account for, in a limited sandbox (simulation). Or it's the games where you choose shooty or stealth and jam 451 into the first numpad you come across.

Nah.
It's all about the primary verb of the gameplay. Role Playing, Strategizing in Real Time.. it all tracks on face value. Doom isn't about you playing a role, it's about shooting. Same reason it's not called a key hunt game.
The "game-clone-like" genre definition works on you knowing about that one game.

If it was Deus-Ex like, or Tactical Espionage Action RPG it would work.

Immersive Sim is weird nowadays because:
Immersive as "being first person/over the shoulder" or "well realized" is now a common part of a wide genre of games and
Simulator implies bigger depth than ImSim games are "simulating".

I'm not gnashing teeth, it's my favorite genre but the term stopped being a useful descriptor and is kinda grandfathered in.

Honestly I think it's because Due Sex Likes sounds salacious.

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004

Disk write error every time I try to launch the game. Weird. I'll try disabling updates? Hey, I'm learning how Linux works.

update:I fixed Doom Eternal with find .local/ -name "782330" -exec rm -rf {} +

I think this cleans up old files so that the game starts like a fresh install. Please teach me, Linux experts, because I really would like to get better at troubleshooting this stuff.

Wine/Proton use the notion of a 'prefix' that contains the virtual C: drive used by whatever application you're trying to run. On Linux, Steam stores these prefixes under
code:
$HOME/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/compatdata/<GAME ID>
782330 is the game ID for Doom Eternal, so the virtual C: drive is
code:
$HOME/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/compatdata/782330
So making sense of your command above:

code:
# this just finds any files/folders named 782330 within .local
find .local/ -name "782330"

# and adding -exec rm -rf {} + will find any files/folders named 782330 and then run rm -rf on them, which deletes them without asking for confirmation 
find .local/ -name "792330" -exec rm -rf {} +

Debuffed
Dec 19, 2003
I never post
Hi, can anyone who uses sunshine and moonlight with their deck for streaming advise on best settings (for both sunshine and moonlight). I have an nvidia gpu. I have left the sunshine settings basically the same. On moonlight I've left the resolution at 720p as apparently that's correct according to a video I watched even though the deck is obviously 800p. I still get black borders on desktop mode either way....

It works pretty well but text is quite jaggy, any tips to improve things?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I haven't changed any of the Sunshine settings but I bumped Moonlight's output to 1080p, same settings I use with Chiaki. Supersampling makes things a bit nicer.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

I'm about to take the plunge on a 2tb AliExpress SSD so I won't have to worry about it again. Does anyone know any currently valid coupon codes to take the edge off, or isn't that really a thing on Ali? I found a few sites claiming to list them but none I tried actually work..

Also worth sanity checking that this is still the thread's recommendation? I bookmarked it from here a while back.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Debuffed posted:

Hi, can anyone who uses sunshine and moonlight with their deck for streaming advise on best settings (for both sunshine and moonlight). I have an nvidia gpu. I have left the sunshine settings basically the same. On moonlight I've left the resolution at 720p as apparently that's correct according to a video I watched even though the deck is obviously 800p. I still get black borders on desktop mode either way....

It works pretty well but text is quite jaggy, any tips to improve things?

The black bars are good and correct because otherwise you'd get stretched image (16:9 vs 16:10 aspect ratio)

720p is the correct Deck pixel to pixel resolution (with the black bars), going to 1080p might help with the text as PC games usually don't optimize fonts for under 1080p

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

sigher posted:

Getting hosed by Cox is something only some people have endured. Hey, some people even like it :shrug:

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Getting hosed by Cox is something only some people have endured. Hey, some people even like it :shrug:

I have Cox, and other than paying like $112/mo for "Giga Blast" or whatever (real speed around 750-930Mbps down, 50Mbps up) I haven't had any issues.

I wasn't aware of any data cap, but I looked at my account and I typically use a couple of TB/mo between Steam game shuffling and sailing the high seas. Never heard a peep from them.

Debuffed
Dec 19, 2003
I never post
thanks both of you for the moonlight / sunshine tips :)

Debuffed
Dec 19, 2003
I never post

Debuffed posted:

thanks both of you for the moonlight / sunshine tips :)

oh actually while we're talking about it, what bitrate do people tend to use?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Annath posted:

I have Cox, and other than paying like $112/mo for "Giga Blast" or whatever (real speed around 750-930Mbps down, 50Mbps up) I haven't had any issues.

I wasn't aware of any data cap, but I looked at my account and I typically use a couple of TB/mo between Steam game shuffling and sailing the high seas. Never heard a peep from them.

It was a sex joke.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

It was a sex joke.

Oh :downs:

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Vic posted:

Nah.
It's all about the primary verb of the gameplay. Role Playing, Strategizing in Real Time.. it all tracks on face value. Doom isn't about you playing a role, it's about shooting. Same reason it's not called a key hunt game.
The "game-clone-like" genre definition works on you knowing about that one game.

If it was Deus-Ex like, or Tactical Espionage Action RPG it would work.

Immersive Sim is weird nowadays because:
Immersive as "being first person/over the shoulder" or "well realized" is now a common part of a wide genre of games and
Simulator implies bigger depth than ImSim games are "simulating".

I'm not gnashing teeth, it's my favorite genre but the term stopped being a useful descriptor and is kinda grandfathered in.

Honestly I think it's because Due Sex Likes sounds salacious.

I don't disagree that's it's no longer a useful descriptor on its own, but neither are most other genre names. Role Playing Games are everything now, Doom (1993) might not be a "RPG", but Doom (2016) introduces mechanics that skirt close and Eternal is filled with them, with a story that is very much about about the "Doomslayer" (who shoots things). Games have become pastiches of pastiches, you need a tag cloud to properly categorize them (like: Tactical Espionage Action RPG), but in that case Immersive Sim is still useful for describing a design ethos. Prey isn't a Tactical Espoionage Action RPG, but it has more in common with Deus Ex than a typical Tactics game, an Espionage game, an Action game or an RPG. The original meaning has become somewhat redundant but so have most of the others and there is clearly a common thread through Ultima Underworld, System Shock, Thief and Deus Ex with spiritual successors like those from Arkane a part of it too. So I'm gonna keep using it, it's useful!

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Aug 10, 2023

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

For some reason BG3 on my Deck isn't saving my anti-aliasing settings and is resetting to None each time I start the game again. Every other setting appears to save fine. Any idea what might be causing this and how to fix it?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I got BG3 to work!

No issues at 40 with medium ish settings and 12 TDP. Looks pretty dang good!

Weedle
May 31, 2006

PantsBandit posted:

Mankind Divided is straight up one of the best immersive sims ever made. I loved it.

i liked the original and human revolution more but mk was still really good. it did end super abruptly though, i really thought there was gonna be another mission after what turned out to be the final one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Supposed Quake II remaster coming today for quakecon.

Gonna deck that up so fast