Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

No, it's just a maths joke. A single Attribute that maps to a six-dimensional space is equivalent to just having six Attributes.

Though this does make me think of Mage: the Ascension: 20th Anniversary Edition, which due to Goat Man being his own editor had as an actual rule that your character's sex was rated from 0 to 5 dots...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Various
Oct 23, 2010

Tinker
Tailor
Soldier
Spy

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Darth Various posted:

Tinker
Tailor
Soldier
Spy

The espionage rules are in an expansion that never came out so it's more like Tinker, Tailor, Solider, Just Some Guy.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Drakyn posted:

See this is exactly the kind of poo poo that Peanuts kept from us about historically accurate ww1 air combat.

It was perfectly accurate to how a doghouse flies, you take that back.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

GimpInBlack posted:

"Spray something into their cockpit" is literally one of the GM moves.
And if you're flying one of the planes that uses castor oil, you can in fact get a mouthful of it in one of the least convenient places to be forced to have desperate and unwanted bowel movements!

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Hostile V posted:

And if you're flying one of the planes that uses castor oil, you can in fact get a mouthful of it in one of the least convenient places to be forced to have desperate and unwanted bowel movements!

Gives "dropping a bomb" a whole new meaning

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

CitizenKeen posted:

The recently Kickstarted Outgunned (the spiritual sequel to Broken Compass) has my favorite stat array of all time:
  • Brawn (Endure, Fight, Force, Stunt)
  • Nerves (Cool, Drive, Shoot, Survival)
  • Smooth (Flirt, Leadership, Speech, Style)
  • Focus (Detect, Fix, Heal, Know)
  • Crime (Awareness, Dexterity, Stealth, Streetwise)

That game looks so cool. I backed the hell out of it, here's the Quickstart...

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/433185/Outgunned--Quickstart

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'm using TOUGH, QUICK, SAVVY, SHARP, AND COOL because I'm a 5-stat freak and more games should have a COOL ability score.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm using TOUGH, QUICK, SAVVY, SHARP, AND COOL because I'm a 5-stat freak and more games should have a COOL ability score.

COOL, HOT, SPICY, SALTY, SWEET

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Xiahou Dun posted:

The espionage rules are in an expansion that never came out so it's more like Tinker, Tailor, Solider, Just Some Guy.
Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Face Character In A System With No Social Combat Mechanics

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Alignment: Mild, Medium, Hot, or Fire

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

PurpleXVI posted:

No UMAMI? Gross.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

PurpleXVI posted:

So more of a COOL RANCH?

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
Heraclitus, Epicurus, Pythagoras, Thales, Aristotle, Diogenes, Zeno

The HEPTADZ system.

Roll +Heraclitus when you step in a stream. On a 6-, it's the same stream again!

Jimbozig fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Aug 7, 2023

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I found one of my old Despair posters and that plus the current discussion made me think of Despair, the RPG.

Instead of six scores measuring how good you are at things, you have six scores representing things that undermine you and hold you back. That way when you roll you're already anticipating disappointment and failure.

Doubt
Indecision
Fear
Distraction
Ignorance
Decrepitude

Also instead of hit points, you'll have miss points. As you lose your miss points, things hit you more. When all your miss points are gone, everything hits you.

You start at level 0 and lose a level as you gain experience, to represent how the accumulation of failures grind you down. However good you are at stuff day 1 (and that's not very good), that's the best you'll ever be, it's all downhill from here.

Of course, we don't call them experience points, it's just Age. You automatically get older no matter what, but at the end of each misadventure, the accumulated failures and disappointments age you prematurely. Each time you level down, your Decrepitude, Fear, and Distraction scores go up.

Naturally there has to be an unskilled list. Of course by default you're unskilled at everything, but the points in your unskills represent specific areas of training or knowledge at which you are less competent than the average person and somehow getting worse over time. You can be remarkably incompetent by putting points in:

Falling
Annoying Animals
Cowardice
Blasphemy
Butterfingers
Shouting Incomprehensibly at Foreigners
Misremembering poo poo You Read Once, Maybe
Getting Lost Outside
Ruining Ingredients
Slipknots and Tangles
Drowning
Blurting
Reading Incomprehension

I'm not sure what to do about Feats (Beats? narrowly defined ways other people notice they can exploit you?) and probably spell lists is more for the GM than for you. Equipment should be easy.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Leperflesh posted:

I'm not sure what to do about Feats (Beats? narrowly defined ways other people notice they can exploit you?) and probably spell lists is more for the GM than for you. Equipment should be easy.
What are the player goals in Despair? If my character is a coward who's terrible with animals am I trying to put them in situations where they're near scary animals or trying to avoid them? Gloom: the RPG has promise, as does taking the "I rolled 8 in every stat but I play what I roll" attitude to the extreme. In either case feats should be ways you are impressively awful, like notably so.

Pick something to be "good" at but you always roll your worst (most likely to end poorly) score. Oh I'm pretty good with dogs, shame I'm allergic and must roll decrepitude to perform any dog related tasks. But hoo boy will I do great if I succeed! There is no despair like thwarted hope.

Pick something you're especially bad at but you get to roll your least worst score. Unless my ignorance roll gets me completely lost I will definitely arrive where I want to go barely too late to do what I wanted to do. There is no despair like expected, inevitable failure.

Pick your least worst skill. When using this skill you always suffer a particular misfortune. I'm going to cook something, as usual it turns out edible but oh look I'm on fire. Again.

Pick your worst skill. When rolling this something always goes a little bit right. Well, I have no sense of direction but also I need milk *recovers a miss point from actually getting some fresh air this month*

Splicer fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Aug 8, 2023

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
i feel like we're just slowly reinventing Glitch here

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Leperflesh posted:

Does Flying Circus also model the total loss oil system of the Sopwith Camel, which constantly sprayed the pilot with an aerosol of castor oil that - allegedly - gave them such bad diarrhea that pilots would drink gin before flying as a countermeasure?

in addition to the above answers, rotary engined aircraft give extra pilot stress per mission to represent the...unpleasantness

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

That maybe the case but I think English pilots drank gin because they liked to drink gin.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Kwyndig posted:

That maybe the case but I think English pilots drank gin because they liked to drink gin.
"There's so much god drat malaria in the air above Germany. Pack me a crate."

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Leperflesh posted:

Does Flying Circus also model the total loss oil system of the Sopwith Camel, which constantly sprayed the pilot with an aerosol of castor oil that - allegedly - gave them such bad diarrhea that pilots would drink gin before flying as a countermeasure?

what the hell is the gin supposed to accomplish here

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

makes you drunk, mate

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

My current campaign is on pause and I want to run a few non-D&D (or one D&D and then other systems) one shot adventures to try something new.

Does anyone have any recommendations for oneshots established as "good" that I can mine for prep as far as plot and set pieces go? It will inevitably become its own thing but I'm looking for anything designed to be run in 1-3 sessions. I've played a handful of systems besides D&D and Pathfinder, mostly d100 stuff.

I'd like to survey adventures from 4-5 different systems but mostly just wondering if anyone has any resources or suggestions to throw my way.

edit: The setting/genre is essentially irrelevant, maybe leaning away from pure grimdark fantasy which I personally kind of like but my players probably prefer something lighter. I'd love to try something scifi for example

Tosk fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Aug 8, 2023

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Tosk posted:

My current campaign is on pause and I want to run a few non-D&D (or one D&D and then other systems) one shot adventures to try something new.

Does anyone have any recommendations for oneshots established as "good" that I can mine for prep as far as plot and set pieces go? It will inevitably become its own thing but I'm looking for anything designed to be run in 1-3 sessions. I've played a handful of systems besides D&D and Pathfinder, mostly d100 stuff.

I'd like to survey adventures from 4-5 different systems but mostly just wondering if anyone has any resources or suggestions to throw my way

Run a DCC funnel or Lair of the Lamb.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Call of Cthulhu is pretty good for one-shots. Grab the Starter Set and run the Edge of Darkness adventure.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

tanglewood1420 posted:

- skilled pilots played towards this strength and would basically do aerial powerslides when in combat.

Why the gently caress is this not in a video game?

HOMOEROTIC JESUS
Apr 19, 2018

Verily I say unto thee, That this night, before the cock crow, thou shalt deny me thrice.

Megazver posted:

Call of Cthulhu is pretty good for one-shots. Grab the Starter Set and run the Edge of Darkness adventure.

I will second Call of Cthulu as great for one-shots. We did "The Haunting", which I would not call the most well-made module, but still had a swimming time. "The Lightless Beacon" was highly recommended by a player, though we didn't do it because they had already played it.

I did something that I think was recommended here: turn off most the lights and give each player a candle. When they die, it goes out. Real nice spooky vibes. We also house-ruled that if you accidently snuff your candle you take one point of damage lol

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Tosk posted:

I'd like to survey adventures from 4-5 different systems but mostly just wondering if anyone has any resources or suggestions to throw my way.

edit: The setting/genre is essentially irrelevant, maybe leaning away from pure grimdark fantasy which I personally kind of like but my players probably prefer something lighter. I'd love to try something scifi for example

Scroll up for Outgunned.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Tosk posted:

Frontier Scum is a very rules light cowboy RPG about being rear end in a top hat bandits and the book contains a premade adventure called The Organ Rail where you're all prisoners on a biopunk hell train to let you get a feel for the mechanics. It's a very fun, very tight system (that is secretly super forgiving and more safe than it lets on, some of my players struggled with only having 1 HP and worried about just flaming out and dying but there's some safeties in place) with a ton of randomized character creation and the module is solidly laid out and fun to gently caress with. Plus everything is player-facing.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Splicer posted:

What are the player goals in Despair?

It's a joke to post in a forum, not something I'd actually play. But I suppose if you wanted to make an actually playable game about everything being bad and awful until you die horribly, you'd probably just play call of cthulhu. Or Paranoia!

redleader posted:

what the hell is the gin supposed to accomplish here

medicinal counter to the laxative, I guess

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's been years and I don't remember the name of the game, but Grey Hunter once video LPed a ww1 piloting game where he flew Camels and they totally had this modeled. Not the laxative castor oil bit, but the turning one way is hard and one way is easy bit, plus how you had to take off without being able to see the airstrip in front of you, and landing was nearly as bad.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Despair is actually an important design because it respects the fact that in many cases, what the PCs find hard is more important in play than what they are good at.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Leperflesh posted:

It's been years and I don't remember the name of the game, but Grey Hunter once video LPed a ww1 piloting game where he flew Camels and they totally had this modeled. Not the laxative castor oil bit, but the turning one way is hard and one way is easy bit, plus how you had to take off without being able to see the airstrip in front of you, and landing was nearly as bad.

Rise of flight.
And you could get hit in the face with castor oil, the laxative effects were not modelled.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

HOMOEROTIC JESUS posted:

I will second Call of Cthulu as great for one-shots. We did "The Haunting", which I would not call the most well-made module, but still had a swimming time. "The Lightless Beacon" was highly recommended by a player, though we didn't do it because they had already played it.

I did something that I think was recommended here: turn off most the lights and give each player a candle. When they die, it goes out. Real nice spooky vibes. We also house-ruled that if you accidently snuff your candle you take one point of damage lol
To me this sounds gimmicky but you should definitely try to have dimmer than usual lights.

I'd also recommend "Dead Man's Stomp" but it doesn't really involve any of the established gribbles directly.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

On the lighter end, there's Sid Meier's Ace Patrol for this. On the heavier end, how bad do you want to harm yourself leaning about flight sims?

Parkreiner
Oct 29, 2011

Leperflesh posted:

Instead of six scores measuring how good you are at things, you have six scores representing things that undermine you and hold you back. That way when you roll you're already anticipating disappointment and failure.

Doubt
Indecision
Fear
Distraction
Ignorance
Decrepitude

It’s been quite a while and I don’t have it to hand, but I recall Pelgrane’s Dying Earth game (and likely its non-IP descendant Skulduggery) having ratings for six archetypal character flaws like Pedantry, Lechery, etc, and in play you had to roll to resist giving in to your worst impulses at inconvenient times.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
In Dying Earth it's "Pettifoggery" because even the word pedantry isn't Vancian enough

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Leperflesh posted:

It's a joke to post in a forum, not something I'd actually play. But I suppose if you wanted to make an actually playable game about everything being bad and awful until you die horribly, you'd probably just play call of cthulhu. Or Paranoia!
I know it's a joke but taking a joke and playing it out to the logical conclusion is where half my best RPG stories come from!

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It was in Crimson Skies, and also it was modeled in the old Ace of Aces head-to-head dogfighting flipbook game.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Do we have a thread for FATE?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

whydirt posted:

Do we have a thread for FATE?

Hasn't been posted in since February but yes Fate megathread