Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

terrible article no thanks for sharing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

skooma512 posted:

Been watching Strange New Worlds and holy poo poo this show is good. I had low expectations going in but they knocked it out of the park. The finest Trek I've seen in years, and probably pound for pound will be the best series of them all. All killer no filler, but I've only just started S2.

Yeah, I'm fairly cynical myself but I still found it hard to believe two escaping human ships would immediately just start firing on each other as soon as they learned what game theory was.

I'll say it's good for different reasons TNG and DS9 are good and as a star trek show it's perfectly fine. Something about the old shows just has something that has since never really been replicated and I dunno how to articulate it. It certainly does nail exactly what a Star Trek show should be.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Justin Tyme posted:

I'll say it's good for different reasons TNG and DS9 are good and as a star trek show it's perfectly fine. Something about the old shows just has something that has since never really been replicated and I dunno how to articulate it. It certainly does nail exactly what a Star Trek show should be.

Yeah I know what you mean. DS9 is still my top show but it's certainly not perfect. Maybe it was the 26 episode seasons which gave them more room to screw around in? STW is a tight show probably because it has to be with 10 episode runs and movie grade vfx.

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

Justin Tyme posted:

TNG and DS9 were free of homeland security editing their narratives. the writers were more or less free to explore the realm of "what if our future selves were more pure and tried their best to understand other cultures"

you see it in a lot shows pre-9/11

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
you don't have to do this

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Echo Chamber posted:

It is their gimmick. They tried it in other threads and got chainprobed.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Some Guy TT posted:

Hollywood’s love affair with China has been well documented. But Hollywood actors’ love affair with China has not.

In recent years, American actors including Michael Douglas, Michael Pitt, Frank Grillo (who played a starring role in "Wolf Warrior 2," the highest-grossing Chinese film in history), Bruce Willis, and Adrien Brody have all contributed to the pro-China narrative.

Of course, one cannot discuss actors and pro-China narratives without discussing John Cena, a man who had the audacity to call Taiwan a country. For that “faux pas,” he apologized to the Chinese Communist Party (CCP). Profusely. In fluent Mandarin. There are apologies, and then there are apologies. Cena’s performance was Oscar-worthy.

Thankfully, there's one actor who’s not interested in apologizing to the CCP. That man is Keanu Reeves. When it comes to China, unlike the above-mentioned actors, "The Matrix" star has clearly chosen the red pill over the blue.

Born in Beirut, Reeves, 57, isn't just an accomplished actor. He also happens to be an accomplished musician. On March 3, he will perform at the 35th annual Tibet House U.S. Benefit Concert, alongside the likes of Patti Smith, Trey Anastasio, and Jason Isbell.

Founded at the request of the Dalai Lama in 1987, Tibet House is a New York-based educational nonprofit committed to the preservation and protection of Tibet's ancient traditions of philosophy, art, and culture.

As I've shown before, the CCP is interested in Tibet for one very specific reason—its natural resources. The Tibetan plateau, home to more than 46,000 glaciers, has one of the largest reserves of fresh water in the world. Known as the “water tower” of Asia, close to a quarter of a billion people in 10 different countries across Asia—Bangladesh, Cambodia, China, India, Laos, Burma (Myanmar), Nepal, Pakistan, Thailand, and Vietnam—rely on this “tower” for water. Make no mistake about it, the CCP wants to control the continent’s water supply, hence its obsession with controlling Tibet.

The people of Tibet are desperate. While most of the world sits idly by, Reeves, to his credit, is prepared to take a stand. Not surprisingly, the Chinese are far from happy.

As The Hollywood Reporter recently reported, the actor has “incurred the wrath” of millions of Chinese nationalists. The “Little Pinks,” a group of young, hyper-aggressive, overly jingoistic digital warriors are now suggesting that Reeves, and all of his future work, should be banned from China. The movie star is fast becoming a “de facto persona non grata in the Chinese entertainment landscape”—which makes his willingness to defend Tibet all the more impressive.

Worth somewhere in the region of $380 million, Reeves doesn’t need to perform. He doesn't need to do anything. But he has offered to. And that’s something worth celebrating.

After all, it's been a long time since a genuine Hollywood heavyweight stood up to China. In fact, it has been the best part of 30 years.

In 1993, Richard Gere, then one of the biggest stars in Hollywood, made headlines around the world–especially in China. At the Oscars, Gere took the stage to present the award for best art director. Before announcing the winner, however, Gere, a practicing Buddhist and long-time friend of the Dalai Lama, went totally off script, criticizing the CCP’s occupation of Tibet as well as its "horrendous, horrendous human rights situation." For telling the truth, Gere was punished severely. The committee chose to ban him from future Oscars, a ban that still exists to this day.

It's clear to see that Gere has paid a heavy price for his honesty. In 2017, the actor told The Hollywood Reporter that there were (and still are) “movies that I can’t be in because the Chinese will say, ‘Not with him.’” He said, “I recently had an episode where someone said they could not finance a film with me because it would upset the Chinese.”

A year before this rather depressing interview, the musician Lady Gaga, a formidable actor in her own right, met with the Dalai Lama. Because of this, she finds herself in a similar boat to Mr. Gere. The artist is now banned from touring or selling merchandise in China.
Which brings us back to Mr. Reeves. Why take a stand? Why jeopardize his acting career?

When it comes to movies, the Chinese market, lest we forget, is by far the biggest in the world. For Reeves, there appears to be more important things than money. In 2019, The New Yorker published an interesting piece titled “Keanu Reeves Is Too Good for This World.” After reading the piece, it’s difficult not to agree. He certainly appears to be too good for Hollywood, a place full of moral grandstanding and superficial concerns.

While many actors pretend to stand for something, Reeves actually does. For this, he deserves a great deal of credit.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Echo Chamber posted:

He does; I've got a hostage.

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

watching the Invincible special, lance reddick probably had a major role in season 2 :(

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

I just watched house of the dragon and liked it more than I thought, the 2nd half of the season is well done and far better than GoT.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
The Other Two is very good

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Oglethorpe posted:

watching the Invincible special, lance reddick probably had a major role in season 2 :(

yup, it was hard for me to watch. I miss him a lot.

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

The Other Two is very good

:hai:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Miss Lonelyhearts posted:

I just watched house of the dragon and liked it more than I thought, the 2nd half of the season is well done and far better than GoT.

Hot D is good

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
remember how Ed Sheeran and Aaron Rodgers managed to get themselves on GoT

I wonder why that doesn't happen more often

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

if I were an mvp quarterback I'd have definitely tried to be like racist hick #3 on Reservation Dogs who gets called a poo poo rear end

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

i hated most of gots but house of dragon was dope it helps i have no idea if im suppose to know the plot since its a prequel im just along for the ride.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Popy posted:

i hated most of gots but house of dragon was dope it helps i have no idea if im suppose to know the plot since its a prequel im just along for the ride.

The whole thing where no side is fully good nor evil feels kind of centrist in concept but it makes for better television imo, plus this way nobody is gonna be burning all their Hot D merch after a character they had decided was their wish-fulfillment vehicle does a war crime

Ironically enough, in real politics the centrists are the ones saying one of the two main factions is pure good and the other is pure evil, so the idea of nuanced conflict being a centrist concept doesn't really hold up anyway

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

there was never good and evil in nobles saddling up to stab each other's peasants. just a bunch of wreckers. it's not centrist to depict feudalism as it was, or at least the closest approximation that people's attention spans will accommodate

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

loquacius posted:

The whole thing where no side is fully good nor evil feels kind of centrist in concept but it makes for better television imo, plus this way nobody is gonna be burning all their Hot D merch after a character they had decided was their wish-fulfillment vehicle does a war crime

Ironically enough, in real politics the centrists are the ones saying one of the two main factions is pure good and the other is pure evil, so the idea of nuanced conflict being a centrist concept doesn't really hold up anyway

This is the same thing that made early GoT good: most everybody is morally grey or out primarily for their own interests, and the people who hold their ideals and honor over results (the Starks in GoT, King Viserys in HotD) are made to suffer for it. Also why season 2 of GoT was the best one IMO: all sides in the succession crisis are just flawed enough that there's no obvious "correct" rooting interest. Even someone like Tyrion, who is trying to make the best of a bad situation, is doing so in the service of his rear end in a top hat father and nephew (and is then tossed to the side once the latter is secure on the throne again!)

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Oglethorpe posted:

oh gently caress I forgot about that :(

netizen
Jun 25, 2023

Broadlybrowsing posted:

I almost forgot about how much Once Upon a time really hammered home just how much Tarantino loves feet.

I checked out the novel from the library today and got a little chuckle when I noticed the cover has a picture of Margot Robbie with her feet propped up on a stool. I don't even think it's a scene in the movie. He knows everybody knows about his foot fetish and I think he's just playing into it for laughs at this point.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Oglethorpe posted:

TNG and DS9 were free of homeland security editing their narratives. the writers were more or less free to explore the realm of "what if our future selves were more pure and tried their best to understand other cultures"

you see it in a lot shows pre-9/11

The home front 2 parter is up there with Starship troopers for stuff that couldn't be done after 9/11 because it'd be too obvious

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Popy posted:

The book Hot D is based on us supposed to be a history book with dueling narrators, and is intentionally unreliable. So while the broad strokes are true (like out comes off battles) everything else is subject to change because it's all hearsay.
Anyways I liked season 1, season 2 will probably disappoint and I can just blame the writers strike

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Jazerus posted:

there was never good and evil in nobles saddling up to stab each other's peasants. just a bunch of wreckers. it's not centrist to depict feudalism as it was, or at least the closest approximation that people's attention spans will accommodate

Fittingly, this is also a rough approximation of why no IRL political faction with any power to speak of is "good" in a TV character sense of the word

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

So, I watched all of The Foundation and its uhh.. well Lee Pace and the genetic dynasty story owns.

Jared Harris is way better being a OPA revolutionary/gangster then some math nerd.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Popy posted:

So, I watched all of The Foundation and its uhh.. well Lee Pace and the genetic dynasty story owns.

yeah I don't care about anything else I just want to watch that part

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

hot d was great because the later episodes are better than the first ones and i went in with low expectations

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

netizen posted:

I checked out the novel from the library today and got a little chuckle when I noticed the cover has a picture of Margot Robbie with her feet propped up on a stool. I don't even think it's a scene in the movie. He knows everybody knows about his foot fetish and I think he's just playing into it for laughs at this point.

Lol Tarantio made a whole Rick Dalton Expanded Universe?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Films_of_Rick_Dalton

https://twitter.com/VideoArchives/status/1659643499527151616?s=20
https://twitter.com/VideoArchives/status/1661050864122085377?s=20

quote:

Tarantino goes on to discuss Dalton's roles, read from a book supposedly written about the actor, and even recite chunks from a Q&A the director claims to have conducted with Dalton in 1999. Along the way, we learn that Dalton wanted to play the role of the doomed Garry in John Carpenter's The Thing and that the actor's stunt double Cliff Booth (played by Brad Pitt in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood) directed The Fireman Part 2 after The Warriors filmmaker Walter Hill passed on the project. Tarantino also explores how Dalton enjoyed something of a comeback during following an incident (depicted in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood) when he incinerated one of Charles Manson's followers with a working prop from one of his movies.

"He also had a thing that happened with him in the late '60s where three hippies were bursting into his house, and they were tripping, and they had a gun with them, and his stunt double basically beat the brains in of two of them, and Rick set the other one on fire with the flamethrower from The 14 Fists of McCluskey," explains Tarantino. "So he got invited to, like, the Republican Convention, alright, because it became this thing for, like, Nixon's Silent Majority. And he's a lifelong Democrat but he went and they f---ing dug him. Rick was very happy being dug. But they put him on Johnny Carson after that and he was a big hit on the Johnny Carson show, and then all of a sudden, because of the notoriety, he started doing better TV shows. He went from, like, doing Land of the Giants and Green Hornet to doing Mission: Impossible."
https://ew.com/movies/quentin-tarantino-pays-tribute-to-fictional-character-rick-dalton-video-archives-podcast/

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

indigi posted:

if I were an mvp quarterback I'd have definitely tried to be like racist hick #3 on Reservation Dogs who gets called a poo poo rear end

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5xCqYLVzXc

netizen
Jun 25, 2023

Ya you can tell he really loves that character. Haven't started the novel yet but I think he even wrote himself into it as a child getting to meet his hero Rick Dalton.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

yeah that would loving rule. or getting to be a guy in Warrior who's unceremoniously killed in embarrassing fashion. I'd be trying to parlay my fame into better poo poo than hosting Jeopardy

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/ComplexPop/status/1689670348197830664?s=20

rip

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

he knew too much

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
vaxxed?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

they got him

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

…or did they?

Sh-sh-sh-shaaa

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Xaris posted:

yeah the sexual assault scene is really rough on rewatch these days. i guess you could say thats typical 80s poo poo, even stuff like Thief has some pretty cringe.

the dialogue is indeed a little strange but i also think that's part of it's charm. it's kinda like Drive and Refn stuff. but yeah it looks really good and it's such a wonderful slow burning night-time experience to watch. BR2049 is much better imo.

i think it's perfectly fine to have movies that standout on the technicals, like we were just talking about star wars and the technicals are really so incredible it overshadows any other deficiencies. like anh is kind a dumb movie but it does not matter at all because the fim making is such an incredible treat.

I was watching the Verdict with some younger relatives recently and there's a scene where Paul Newman's character slaps Charlotte Rampling's character and completely lays her out and these relatives were really shocked and appalled. It made me feel really old because I remember when protagonists slapped women all the time.

Eric Cantonese has issued a correction as of 19:02 on Aug 10, 2023

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Eric Cantonese posted:

I was watching the Verdict with some younger relatives recently and there's a scene where Paul Newman's character slaps Charlotte Rampling's character and completely lays her out and these relatives were really shocked and appalled. It made me feel really old because I remember when protagonists slapped women all the time.

yup pretty much every other movie prior to 1990 features a john wayne/caan/newman/bogart or whoever bitch slapping the female lead after "going hysterical". we've been watching a lot of 50s-70s sci-fi b movies and its so common

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

threats of domestic violence was the main joke of the honeymooners

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

feel like in 20s & 30s movies violence against women was used to make the villain look like a dangerous gangster and at some point by the 50s it's shifted and the serious men are making tough calls and dropping broads with a single ppalm