Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

D-LINK posted:

Johnny Maziel is from a working class family. He, himself planted the story that he's from Oil Money as a cover explanation for his extravagant lifestyle that was actually funded from selling millions of dollars in autographs and signed jerseys, etc

Magnificent. Sublime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

Docjowles posted:

Yeah I am failing to see why “I make millions on my merchandise” needed a weird cover story. That seems…very good? Was he supposed to be giving a league a cut and doing it all under the table?

He was getting like 3 catches a game, he had the makings of being maybe a better Ted Ginn. Which is a respectable nfl career! But not enough to take PR hit on the murder guy after 5+ years away from football.

Whoever said he’ll be kicking around a spring league like current Josh Gordon was dead on imo

Sorry for the confusion. Johnny Football didn't do poo poo in the pros, but he was the only Freshman to ever win the Heisman.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

kiimo posted:

It just seems so...easy to check up on

Like, the oil money thing was in all his draft writeups as potentially a bad thing that he may be an entitled prick. How can nobody have done any even moderate research on that

He went to A&M. It wasn't a crazy stretch that a nutbar Texan with loads of money came from oil. Still amazing.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

D-LINK posted:

Sorry for the confusion. Johnny Football didn't do poo poo in the pros, but he was the only Freshman to ever win the Heisman.

Yeah in typical post then think fashion I realized it must have been illicit college merch he wanted to hide

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

D-LINK posted:

Jameis Winston won the Heisman as a freshman the next year.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

D-LINK posted:

Guess who finished 2nd in the Heisman that year who the media also didn't do a lot of research on

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

a neat cape posted:

Guess who finished 2nd in the Heisman that year who the media also didn't do a lot of research on

Collin Klein's bloody elbows were robbed that year I tell you! (3rd, but a respectable 3rd in voting)

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

God collin klein

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

kiimo posted:

It just seems so...easy to check up on

Like, the oil money thing was in all his draft writeups as potentially a bad thing that he may be an entitled prick. How can nobody have done any even moderate research on that

Everybody did less research than the study Jimmy Haslem commissioned

And promptly ignored

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

a neat cape posted:

Well, since I just watched it Manti Te'o lol

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

Edward Mass posted:

Jameis Winston won the Heisman as a freshman the next year.

The eternal Tim Tebow-ness of Heisman winning QBs

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Were the stories that Manziel's family were icons in the cock fighting world fake too???

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

D-LINK posted:

Well, since I just watched it Manti Te'o lol

Goddamn that was a wild ride.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Someone is loving lying. I mean this was Outside The Lines, generally pretty respectable with fact checking since it was an interview with his dad.

https://www.espn.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/9521439/heisman-winner-johnny-manziel-celebrity-derail-texas-aggies-season-espn-magazine

quote:

Paul grew up on this course as a kid, the grandson of a Texas oil fortune, which still funds the family. Enough remains to make sure Johnny never wants for anything. "It's not Garth Brooks money," Paul says, laughing, "but it's a lot of money." Still, those piles of cash couldn't make Paul's father pay attention to him. This golf course is where Paul went for peace.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Well there is a huge grey area between "middle class America" and "swimming in my money vault".

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

Diva Cupcake posted:

Someone is loving lying. I mean this was Outside The Lines, generally pretty respectable with fact checking since it was an interview with his dad.

https://www.espn.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/9521439/heisman-winner-johnny-manziel-celebrity-derail-texas-aggies-season-espn-magazine

Paul was his business partner in the scheme

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Diva Cupcake posted:

It's public record that his great-grandmother was a millionaire with a trust. He does come from money. How much of his direct family is worth is debatable. I think it's reasonable that members of his family are wealthy, his immediate family wasn't, and that he used his family's reputation to hide the merchandise money.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/fashion_nfl/status/1689426120167608320?t=k_3__N5IOP1tPoj3XK5vfg&s=19

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

It's a good logo.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Hope they don't go after that Heisman like they did poor Reggie!

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Wiltsghost posted:

It's a good logo.

One tooth is slightly higher than the other though

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
The Bears' bear logo is pretty asymmetrical and that's okay.

Their "C" logo being asymmetrical is not.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I found the most Giants tweet of all time.

https://twitter.com/kayvonojulari/status/1689395697299156993?s=61&t=MwiVngS9F-DTnbB7CvREng

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Did he. Post the wrong clip?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

manziel autographed and sold the team ipad for $70. he used the money to buy a slicked back "rich kid" haircut and a pair of socks with dollar signs on them

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Spent some time with the Switch demo. It's pretty fun! Is there any way to speed up the game though? Like jesus christ I almost finished 2 episodes of Quarterback in the time it took me to do one exhibition game. There's so much dead time spent on TV graphics or watching the football bounce around at the end of a play or waiting for the offense's play call to come in. I like it a lot but games need to take half as long. I'm not trying to spend over 20 hours per season.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Also one of the most surprising things from Quarterback is that these dudes drive themselves and their families to and from games? Driving, especially in traffic, loving sucks. If I ever hit the jackpot I'm hiring a full time driver immediately and figuring everything else out later.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i don't think they really do that. mahomes set up a lot of things as a producer, the head of 2pm productions. he's pretty image savvy and not that genuine of a person. in this world you can't be. not if you're smart.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

in real life, patrick retains a helicopter in the slide-open underground bunker at his home which is flown to the police helipad southwest of the stadium. he has a full detail drive him to the stadium from there in case someone tries to shoot him with a gun's bullets. the existence of his state farm branded helicopter is publicly available and it's maintained and fueled in perpetuity by that company as per his endorsement contract with them. shrewd. savvy. patagonian cavy

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
https://twitter.com/obj/status/1689443915194089472?s=46&t=PZdu3FmlNyzr9wfuU9UK1Q

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Android Apocalypse posted:

The Bears' bear logo is pretty asymmetrical and that's okay.

Their "C" logo being asymmetrical is not.

Is there an "official" reason the winged C is off like that? Like I'd buy if helmet decals were shaped like that so they look right on a curved helmet surface, and if fifty years ago they just grabbed one and went "this is logo." But like it's been pointed out repeatedly, and they've never commented, just kept it wrong for no reason.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Cavauro posted:

in real life, patrick retains a helicopter in the slide-open underground bunker at his home which is flown to the police helipad southwest of the stadium. he has a full detail drive him to the stadium from there in case someone tries to shoot him with a gun's bullets. the existence of his state farm branded helicopter is publicly available and it's maintained and fueled in perpetuity by that company as per his endorsement contract with them. shrewd. savvy. patagonian cavy

I believe this. You've never lied to me before.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

then join me in asking everyone to stop talking about a weird bears logo and freaking out about a hosed up logo For the bears. this is the bears logo and there's nothing wrong with it

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Everything that is wrong with the Bears logo is actually Illuminati code.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Quiet Feet posted:

Everything that is wrong with the Bears logo is actually Illuminati code.

Wait, can I blame the Illuminati for the Bears sucking?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Docjowles posted:

Yeah I am failing to see why “I make millions on my merchandise” needed a weird cover story. That seems…very good? Was he supposed to be giving a league a cut and doing it all under the table? Or was this college merch in pre NIL times?

You answered your question at the end. This was still during an era when “student athletes” could not be paid for their image/name.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Docjowles posted:

Spent some time with the Switch demo. It's pretty fun! Is there any way to speed up the game though? Like jesus christ I almost finished 2 episodes of Quarterback in the time it took me to do one exhibition game. There's so much dead time spent on TV graphics or watching the football bounce around at the end of a play or waiting for the offense's play call to come in. I like it a lot but games need to take half as long. I'm not trying to spend over 20 hours per season.

Go into the gameplay settings and turn on Skip Huddle and Accel Clock. I set quarters to 5 minutes and games take about 15-20 minutes to play. Setting the sim quarters to 8 minutes seems about right to get the rest of the league's stats to match up with mine.

edit: Oh and just as an fyi for anyone, you can get the NFL teams and rosters on their discord in the user-submitted-mods channel.

is pepsi ok fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Aug 10, 2023

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
the Bears aren't making the bear their primary logo

https://www.nbcsportschicago.com/nfl/chicago-bears/bears-news/no-logo-swap-chicago-bears-clear-up-logo-change-confusion/500466/

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

"just saw Joker. man, someone should do something about this dude!!!!"