Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Depending on your need to access the backed up data in real time, online backups are a good secondary backup location as well (should always have two local copies). OneDrive/Google Drive/Dropbox are great options for on demand file access, and I use BackBlaze for full backups that are Cold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I have a work laptop - HP Omen 16" (model: 16-k0xxx) with Win 11 (latest updates applied)

It has 2 TB4 ports in the back. I have this TB4 enclosure and a 2TB 980Pro inside of it (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BB74BQVN?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details)

When I plug it in nothing shows up. Not in Disk Manager, Explorer, nothin'.

It does get warm and there is a TB3 Device Router that will pop up in Device Manager under the USB controllers section.

So *something* is happening... it's just not seeing the drive.

Is there some other step I'm missing?

edit: Looking under USB4 Hubs and Devices in the Windows Settings, the Acasis enclosure *is* showing up as connected.

edit 2: taking to a different windows 11 machine and plugging it into a 3.1 gen 2 port worked fine. This is a WinPro machine and at home it's a WinHome machine... wonder if that makes a difference?

edit 3: Cable works fine, port works fine with a different non-TB4 enclosure (just a standard 3.1 USB C enclosure for a separate nvme I had laying around). So it's just this enclosure for whatever reason.

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Aug 7, 2023

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Klyith posted:

If you are windows-only, just use bitlocker to encrypt the drive. You need Pro to initialize bitlocker on a drive, but after that Home use bitlocker drives.

I would take the opportunity to set up some backup software, so that you can keep doing this in the future and have backups. If you get a drive from seagate or WD they come with / you can download backup software from the drive makers. (The seagate one is kinda cheezy but can get the job done, WD gives you a limited license for Acronis True Image which is good.)

If you are archiving important data to an external drive and then removing it from your main SSD, then it's not backed up. Data needs to be in two places to be backed up.

They said archive and not backup, so it could just be in the "move to slower long-term storage" sense. If that's the case, bitlocker and manual processes seem fine?

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

BonoMan posted:

I have a work laptop - HP Omen 16" (model: 16-k0xxx) with Win 11 (latest updates applied)

It has 2 TB4 ports in the back. I have this TB4 enclosure and a 2TB 980Pro inside of it (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BB74BQVN?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details)

When I plug it in nothing shows up. Not in Disk Manager, Explorer, nothin'.

It does get warm and there is a TB3 Device Router that will pop up in Device Manager under the USB controllers section.

So *something* is happening... it's just not seeing the drive.

Is there some other step I'm missing?

edit: Looking under USB4 Hubs and Devices in the Windows Settings, the Acasis enclosure *is* showing up as connected.

edit 2: taking to a different windows 11 machine and plugging it into a 3.1 gen 2 port worked fine. This is a WinPro machine and at home it's a WinHome machine... wonder if that makes a difference?

edit 3: Cable works fine, port works fine with a different non-TB4 enclosure (just a standard 3.1 USB C enclosure for a separate nvme I had laying around). So it's just this enclosure for whatever reason.

I don't think it matters, but technically speaking you have only proven that the cable works for USB, which I think has somewhat lower bandwidth requirements than TB4?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Computer viking posted:

I don't think it matters, but technically speaking you have only proven that the cable works for USB, which I think has somewhat lower bandwidth requirements than TB4?

It's the TB4 cable that came with the enclosure. Could be faulty though I guess. I have a new one coming (because the enclosure went on lighting sale for $30 less and Amazon won't price match their own poo poo) so I can check tomorrow!

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020

Arivia posted:

Macrium Reflect is now a paid program, but it will do automatic backups to an external hard disk and encrypt them for you. Doing backups to an external hard disk is a time-tested solution and is a good step in terms of data safety.

Yeah, that would be great. If I can just name certain folders and it periodically syncs those with the encrypted backup.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

NotNut posted:

Yeah, that would be great. If I can just name certain folders and it periodically syncs those with the encrypted backup.

It will do that, absolutely.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Computer viking posted:

Ok so the drive and cable DO work fine on my wife's laptop which is an HP (non-Omen) with Thunderbolt.

So it's literally just this PC. Which is weird because like... something is just preventing it from mounting the drive entirely. Not just operating at reduced speeds.

Her computer does have the Thunderbolt Control App and mine doesn't (and no drivers or software that are remotely related are available for the Omen line of laptops)

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Aug 8, 2023

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
So here's my plan. Tell me if any parts won't work or are suboptimal:

1. Turn TPM and secure boot on, and upgrade to Windows 11
2. Encrypt my main SSD using BitLocker
3. Get a HD for archiving, encrypt it using veracrypt. Put files on here that I don't want to lose but don't access often.
4. Get a second HD, using Macrium Reflect to encrypt it, set it up to automatically backup everything from the first HD, plus specific folders on the SSD.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

NotNut posted:

So here's my plan. Tell me if any parts won't work or are suboptimal:

1. Turn TPM and secure boot on, and upgrade to Windows 11
2. Encrypt my main SSD using BitLocker
3. Get a HD for archiving, encrypt it using veracrypt. Put files on here that I don't want to lose but don't access often.
4. Get a second HD, using Macrium Reflect to encrypt it, set it up to automatically backup everything from the first HD, plus specific folders on the SSD.

I would not bother with veracrypt unless you have special or unusual needs, or are paranoid that MS has hidden backdoors in Bitlocker. (they don't.) Veracrypt is not more secure than Bitlocker in any practical way, but is harder to work with and less performant.

The default backup for a recovery key in Bitlocker is to save it to your Microsoft Account, in which case ofc it can be subpeona'd should that ever be a problem. If that would be a problem for you, don't use the MS Account option.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

If you're not at all interested in in making images of your whole OS drive to facilitate restoring the whole system to a previous state, I really, really wouldn't lock your files inside a proprietary container file like Macrium Reflect does. It serves no function. Just encrypt the backup drive the same way you do the archive drive if that's what you want. Then use a normal backup software that simply copies files.

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020

Klyith posted:

I would not bother with veracrypt unless you have special or unusual needs, or are paranoid that MS has hidden backdoors in Bitlocker. (they don't.) Veracrypt is not more secure than Bitlocker in any practical way, but is harder to work with and less performant.

The default backup for a recovery key in Bitlocker is to save it to your Microsoft Account, in which case ofc it can be subpeona'd should that ever be a problem. If that would be a problem for you, don't use the MS Account option.

I'll just use BitLocker for the archiving drive too then, thanks.

Flipperwaldt posted:

If you're not at all interested in in making images of your whole OS drive to facilitate restoring the whole system to a previous state, I really, really wouldn't lock your files inside a proprietary container file like Macrium Reflect does. It serves no function. Just encrypt the backup drive the same way you do the archive drive if that's what you want. Then use a normal backup software that simply copies files.

What would be good software for that?

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

NotNut posted:

What would be good software for that?

File History is a pretty good place to start and is built-in with Windows. I’d see if that suits your needs.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Didn’t see a google chrome thread but I just updated Chrome and now when I select text and right click to “search with google” it opens up a vertical side bar to show my search results. How do I make it open up a new tab this is so annoying.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
The OP is out of date (lol) so I'll ask - what's everyone using for playing their local music library these days? I don't, and don't want to, subscribe to Spotify or anything, I just have my music on my internal computer storage. I normally use iTunes but I realised I haven't had an iPod to sync it with in a few years, so I thought I'd see if there's anything popular other than iTunes.

The current release of Winamp isn't useable as far as I'm concerned due to its archaic UI, though I am keen to see the redesigned release when it's out. MediaMonkey made my eyes bleed with its garish interface. Windows Media Player in Windows 11 isn't bad, and MusicBee has some nice features. Really what I'd like is something that duplicates the Genius function of iTunes, though I know even Apple has deprecated that on everything they've developed for years and iTunes is just in maintenance mode now.

Barking up a dead tree?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I use foobar2000 with ColumnsUI. It's resource-light and only takes me a few minutes to set it up again from scratch if I need to.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

WattsvilleBlues posted:

The OP is out of date (lol) so I'll ask - what's everyone using for playing their local music library these days? I don't, and don't want to, subscribe to Spotify or anything, I just have my music on my internal computer storage. I normally use iTunes but I realised I haven't had an iPod to sync it with in a few years, so I thought I'd see if there's anything popular other than iTunes.

The current release of Winamp isn't useable as far as I'm concerned due to its archaic UI, though I am keen to see the redesigned release when it's out. MediaMonkey made my eyes bleed with its garish interface. Windows Media Player in Windows 11 isn't bad, and MusicBee has some nice features. Really what I'd like is something that duplicates the Genius function of iTunes, though I know even Apple has deprecated that on everything they've developed for years and iTunes is just in maintenance mode now.

Barking up a dead tree?

I had a pretty good solution going with a Plex server & Plexamp around two years ago (before I switched to Spotify lol). Maybe try that out. I was very happy with it, but decided to jump on a Spotify family plan because I was tired of janitoring the collection.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
It’s amazing how much faster WMP is compared to iTunes. I always thought the sluggishness was due to the size of my library, and it being on a hard drive, but WMP handles it without any hitching or slowdowns.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I had a pretty good solution going with a Plex server & Plexamp around two years ago (before I switched to Spotify lol). Maybe try that out. I was very happy with it, but decided to jump on a Spotify family plan because I was tired of janitoring the collection.

Yeah, Plex may not be the BEST choice but I love having one nice, pretty app to handle all my local media. It works great for music, for audiobooks I use Plex to store and organize, but the Chronicle app to play them on my phone

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
Dopamin used to be good. The Windows Native version was snappy and simple. It was my go-to baseline music player / manager. They moved it all to Electron and it is slow as poo poo now but at least it's cross platform... There is still a Windows Native version still available, but I don't think it gets updates.

Foobar2000 is kind of my current go to now. It is very 'functional first' kind of music player and I love it.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I've been using MediaMonkey for decades. I like that I can arrange by artist, then year, in one big screen. I use their Beta Android app and it's mostly alright (drat new update put a random button where I press it on accident and ruin my playlist).

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

WattsvilleBlues posted:

The OP is out of date (lol) so I'll ask - what's everyone using for playing their local music library these days?

Foobar2k is absolutely #1 on my "sad that I don't use windows anymore" software list.

#2 is autohotkey, and then there's a big loving gap where nothing else is even close.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Klyith posted:

Foobar2k is absolutely #1 on my "sad that I don't use windows anymore" software list.

People report that it works well in Wine. FYI

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
I bounced off foobar a few times over the years and sometimes use clementine or strawberry

Or plex.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
The past couple of days I've encountered something strange with Windows 10. If I leave the computer alone and let the monitor turn off, when resuming my session the entire PC slows to a crawl. Almost nothing is responsive, just right clicking on the desktop makes it load endlessly. I very slowly open task manager, and my it shows my CPU at 50% work, 99% of my 32GB of ram are being used, and my solid state drive is at 100% usage too. When I look at the active programs, to see what program is using all those resources, none of the programs displayed is actually using any of that. The biggest thing using memory is my web browser, about 250mb of it. I have to restart the computer, after that the computer runs like normal.

Does anyone know how or if I can troubleshoot this? I haven't done any hardware changes, the only thing I can think of is that I upgraded my nvidia drivers to their most recent version, and installed the latest automatic Windows 10 update. It happened after that but I don't have any idea if its related.

PC: Win10, i7-12700k, rtx 4080, 32gb ram.

edit: I looked through the event viewer, which is something I don't know much about, but I did see something suspicious that happened during or before the odd behavior. A Resource Exhaustion error, but I don't know if its the cause, or the effect.

Node fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Aug 10, 2023

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts
Foobar only really clicked for me once I realised you can literally make the UI whatever the gently caress you want it to be and it's piss easy to do, too. Then I learned about autoplaylists and now I can't live without the goddamn thing.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

armpit_enjoyer posted:

Foobar only really clicked for me once I realised you can literally make the UI whatever the gently caress you want it to be and it's piss easy to do, too. Then I learned about autoplaylists and now I can't live without the goddamn thing.

What are these autoplaylists you speak of? Strawberry and Clementine - main differences?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

WattsvilleBlues posted:

What are these autoplaylists you speak of?

Foobar autoplaylists are basically programmatic way to build a playlist from your library, and the playlist automatically updates. So it could be something simple like "genre IS rock" to have all your rock. Or it could be "genre IS rock AND year LESS 1980" to have all your classic rock.

If you use other plugins, like one that allows you to rate stuff 1-5 stars or keep track of when a track was last played, you can do poo poo like gimme all my 4 & 5 star albums that I haven't heard recently.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Strawberry and Clementine - main differences?

linux audio players, ignore

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Klyith posted:

Foobar autoplaylists are basically programmatic way to build a playlist from your library, and the playlist automatically updates. So it could be something simple like "genre IS rock" to have all your rock. Or it could be "genre IS rock AND year LESS 1980" to have all your classic rock.

If you use other plugins, like one that allows you to rate stuff 1-5 stars or keep track of when a track was last played, you can do poo poo like gimme all my 4 & 5 star albums that I haven't heard recently.

did they come up with this before or after itunes did

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Klyith posted:

linux audio players, ignore

Ah good to know. Was hoping for Genius playlists.

Clementine and Strawberry both available for Windows!

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Node posted:

edit: I looked through the event viewer, which is something I don't know much about, but I did see something suspicious that happened during or before the odd behavior. A Resource Exhaustion error, but I don't know if its the cause, or the effect.

Running out of free space on your SSD?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Foobar has album shuffle

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

doctorfrog posted:

Foobar has album shuffle

Yes. Make an auto-playlist of all music set to shuffle albums => profit.
In that mode if you add a button for play/random you can jump to next random album.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Gromit posted:

Running out of free space on your SSD?

There's a few hundred gigabytes of free space, so unfortunately don't think so.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Node posted:

You should check if Event Viewer shows more resource exhaustions, "Filter current log" for event ID 2004. If there are more that indicate Steam, a quick check is to stop Steam and see if the issue reoccurs.

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts

WattsvilleBlues posted:

What are these autoplaylists you speak of?

You already got an explanation of the general principle; in my case, I have autoplaylists for:

- Every track that's not yet a FLAC file (a good third of my collection is still MP3s and I'm moving away from that because it's not 2004 anymore)
- Every track without album art attached to it
- Every track with album art smaller than 1000x1000px
- Tracks with bad/no metadata
- Tracks with 0 plays
- Tracks added to the library within the last two weeks

These help me keep my music nice and organised and prevent me from looking like a rube when i scroll the cover flow view to an album and it's got no artwork.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

armpit_enjoyer posted:

You already got an explanation of the general principle; in my case, I have autoplaylists for:

- Every track that's not yet a FLAC file (a good third of my collection is still MP3s and I'm moving away from that because it's not 2004 anymore)
- Every track without album art attached to it
- Every track with album art smaller than 1000x1000px
- Tracks with bad/no metadata
- Tracks with 0 plays
- Tracks added to the library within the last two weeks

These help me keep my music nice and organised and prevent me from looking like a rube when i scroll the cover flow view to an album and it's got no artwork.

i have an autoplaylist for:

-calling you a nerd
-calling you a REALLY BIG nerd

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

When I had iTunes I had a massive complex of cross-referencing smart playlists leading up to a perfect mix of favorite tracks, unplayed tracks, "underloved" tracks, music not played in x days, and a bunch of other stuff.

This was mostly a coping mechanism from not having album shuffle. How in the hell is album shuffle not a part of every music player?

Now I just use Foobar 2000 with album shuffle, and a handful of handmade "music I've been liking lately" playlists. When a playlist seems to stop playing music I'm into, I start a new one.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

armpit_enjoyer posted:

Funny, my hearing is only going to get worse, so audio fidelity matters less as I age, so feed me those sweet v0 mp3s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
You almost certainly couldn't tell the difference in the first place.