Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean maybe I'm biased cos I've been listening to lots of late 1800's/early 1900's ghost/detective fiction but it mostly seems like it's full of poshos writing about how positively ghastly the lower orders are and how they're definitely going to steal your jewels by jove.]

It's romantic in the sense that there's usually some very elaborate scheme involved and the detectives are terribly witty and brilliant but the fundamental sense of aristo anxiety about the state of everything (especially other aristos) is the big constant.

The overhwelming impression I'm getting of the era is that it's full of rich people who apparently have absolutely no imagination at all and spend all their day at "the club" boozing and hobnobbing with other pickled old gits and this is what passes for employment among their section of society, but they're all very miserable about it for some reason. While everyone else is incredibly stressed out about everything and dying of weird diseases or having their husbands killed at sea.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Aug 10, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Turkish barbers are a bit of a hack to exploit the entrepreneur visa. Cheap to set up, you don't need any formal qualifications, and you can hire family members. Useful if you want a cheap haircut, just hope it isn't a poo poo one.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Guavanaut posted:

It's like when people romanticize the Victorian Era as when everyone was polite and then you read any literature about 'the city' from that era of mass urbanization and the more lurid stuff is all "the barber what murdered his customers and mugged them" and "the pieman that put cats in" and even the less sensationalist stuff is complaining about pimps and surly porters.

"It was never like this in the reign of Good Queen Anne!"

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Also all that stuff from the (probably fanciful) serial killer barber to the (definitely real) sawdust and bad meat in sausages boils down to the least sensational headline of "small business owner seeks to maximize profits and minimize outgoings, possibly by unethical means!" and the worst ills of prostitution and groups of angry workers were down to poverty, and social reformers eventually realized that you need some system of health inspectors, child protective services, poverty reduction, and sanitation.

Like they weren't happening because of the criminal skull shapes of the entrepreneurs or the fallen nature of unwed women, they're all facets of city life that happens to levels based on social factors. So perhaps if there are urban areas beginning to resemble Dickens again it's because austerity is a shitshow, not because of the Turk and his schemes. :aaaaa:

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
MY LACK OF KNOWLEDGE OF CURRENT EVENTS IS EXCEEDED ONLY BY MY UNQUENCHABLE THIRST FOR PISS. FUK U AMERIKKKA!!

Way too corporate. You want the khlav kalash guy

E: https://youtu.be/4NFv5IGP2uA

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

DreddyMatt posted:

Seems incredibly dangerous. Gotta remain perfectly still getting sucked while someone holds a straight razor to your throat.

I'm fairly sure that there was QTE for this exact scenario in Shenmue 2.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

The Question IRL posted:

I'm fairly sure that there was QTE for this exact scenario in Shenmue 2.

Yeah Ryo goes into the barber shop looking for sailors, then needs to demonstrate wude.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Do you like hedges?

Then tell DEFRA:https://consult.defra.gov.uk/legal-standards/consultation-on-protecting-hedgerows/

Planning permission outweighs the hedge legislation at present, and lots of important and ancient hedgerows are being destroyed. The briefing mentions farmers but really there needs to be more done to protect hedges from property developers and their 6ft tall cheap fence panels.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/mikegalsworthy/status/1689510488487481344

:allears:

Skulker
Jan 27, 2021

Duuuuuude!

keep punching joe posted:

Turkish barbers are a bit of a hack to exploit the entrepreneur visa. Cheap to set up, you don't need any formal qualifications, and you can hire family members. Useful if you want a cheap haircut, just hope it isn't a poo poo one.

Oooooh

I'd always assumed they were money laundering.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
They tightened up the requirements of savings you need for that visa type to something like 200k this year. So we have probably already passed peak Turkish barbers.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I wonder what the next entrepreneurial venture to get accused of being secret brothels/drug gangs will be.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Guavanaut posted:

I wonder what the next entrepreneurial venture to get accused of being secret brothels/drug gangs will be.

Clothes bought 50p per kilo

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

website wants money to read it (lol) so i'll just assume ben had a fundamental problem understanding the "remain" and "leave" choices on the ballot

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Remain a culturally backward country and accelerate our decline by exiting the EU [ ]
Leave this national sickness behind and embrace our future in the EU [ ]

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/theipaper/status/1689678558199783445?s=46&t=ARI_L-v32Oind1-d9B3a3Q

Apparently they got bored of waiting for the refugee prison barge to catch fire?

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

keep punching joe posted:

I work with someone who runs a signwriting business as a side hustle. Last week, he was telling me that one of his biggest customers is a guy who sets up Turkish barber shops. He'll set up a new shop, run it for a few weeks, then sell it as a going concern. Then he'll do it again, rinse and repeat. Apparently, this is the reason why their spread is so prolific.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

crispix posted:

website wants money to read it (lol) so i'll just assume ben had a fundamental problem understanding the "remain" and "leave" choices on the ballot

I can read it without logging in or paying money. I have javascript switched off for the site, so don't know if that helps.

quote:

‘I made a huge mistake’: Brexit-voting Briton can’t get visa to live in his £43,000 Italian home

A 35-year-old graphic designer from Bristol told i he wishes he could ‘turn back time and vote Remain’

ROME – A 35-year-old Briton who voted for Brexit says he made “a huge mistake” and is now paying the price after failing to obtain a long-term visa that would allow him to live in his new Italian home.

Ben, a graphic designer from Bristol whose real name i has agreed to withhold, bought a four-bedroom cottage near Lake Turano, near Rome, for €50,000 (£43,000), two years ago.

But despite spending €60,000 (£52,000) on renovations and turning half the property into a bed and breakfast, he has failed to reach the minimum annual income to get the long-term elective residency visa (ERV).

“I was so wrong, and my application was rejected. I felt like dying, all my dreams were shattered,” he told i.

“I voted for Brexit because I thought it was actually going to make it easier for me to buy a home and live in the Med, so many American friends of mine have one and they’re non-European.

“Now I wish I could turn back time and vote Remain. I made a huge mistake.”

Ben is not the first Brexit-voting Briton to be blindsided by the new rules on travel and emigration to Europe after the UK left the European Union.

Last month, Greg Walter, a retiree from Winchester, told i he felt “betrayed” after voting for Brexit and then finding himself unable to get a visa to live in his Italian home full-time.

i contacted other Britons with second homes in Italy who initially gave their consent to a story then withdrew it over fears Italian consulates may penalise them for sharing their experience with the media.

The requirement to obtain an ERV is having a “passive” annual income of €31,000 (£27,000) per person, or €38,000 (£33,000) per year for couples, from pensions, annuities or rentals.

Ben is single and not retired, but thought revenues from running a B&B would qualify as a rental. When the consulate rejected his application he was told that having a B&B is “active income”, and that he would need to rent his whole Italian property on a fixed term if he wanted this to qualify – meaning he could not live in it himself.

He plans to re-apply next year but fears a rejection from the Italian consulate in London if he talks openly about his situation.

“It’s so complicated, they never gave me any information or assistance, now I’m scared that if I openly criticise them, they’ll reject my second application as vengeance,” he said.

He has decided to keep his Italian cottage tenant-free and will soon start renting on a permanent basis a three-bedroom apartment he owns in Brighton, confident it will qualify next time as “passive income”.

Immigration lawyer Elze Obrikyte at Giambrone & Partners in Palermo, who assists British visa applicants for Italy, believes their fears are partly justified.

“It is extremely hard to get a ERV, the rate of rejection is above 50 per cent and granting it is at the discretion of the single officer who handles the application and may freely interpret the rules when it comes to income requirements, so I understand applicants’ concerns in going public,” the lawyer told i.

The Italian consulate in London, which deals with the largest chunk of visa applications in the UK, dismissed claims there could ever be “payback” when contacted by i.

In a written email, it said that any statements to journalists by visa applicants “are in no case taken into account and the activity of the office in the examination of visa applications is substantiated only and exclusively in the verification of the possession of the requirements of the current legislation by the applicants”.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Darth Walrus posted:

Apparently they got bored of waiting for the refugee prison barge to catch fire?
I was putting together a post about developing 19th century 'fear of the city' and how it's not entirely rooted in irrationalism because if I saw a giant machine that no single person could possibly understand but that can be managed and regulated, but if you do it wrong you might get epidemics or child brothels, I might say "hey, why the gently caress do we have that?"

But between the "put child migrants in the motels for sex offenders" and now this, it looks like the Home Office are playing sociopath Sim City and trying to get all that from single buildings. :stonk:

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
MY LACK OF KNOWLEDGE OF CURRENT EVENTS IS EXCEEDED ONLY BY MY UNQUENCHABLE THIRST FOR PISS. FUK U AMERIKKKA!!
Don't know what rents are like in Brighton, but that guy is aiming for over 2k/mo for a 3 bed flat. Seems a bit ambitious.
Funniest result is he gets tenants in, gets his visa rejected, and has to rent out another property for the duration of the tenancy

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Darth Walrus posted:

https://twitter.com/theipaper/status/1689678558199783445?s=46&t=ARI_L-v32Oind1-d9B3a3Q

They're planning to sell the barge to the wonky pub people when it's full.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

DreddyMatt posted:

Don't know what rents are like in Brighton, but that guy is aiming for over 2k/mo for a 3 bed flat. Seems a bit ambitious.
Funniest result is he gets tenants in, gets his visa rejected, and has to rent out another property for the duration of the tenancy

I just checked on Rightmove, and there are only a handful of 3 bed flats <£2k/mo

In other news, Sajid Javid's brother has a new job.

https://twitter.com/RobertJenrick/status/1689583499747999744

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Aug 10, 2023

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Runcible Cat posted:

"It was never like this in the reign of Good Queen Anne!"

Gilbert and Sullivan wrote at least two songs with this line in it almost word for word.

Of course, they were satirising it and the characters saying/singing it are a sham intellectual and a blowhard overly-patriotic peer. But it must have been a genuine and common enough sentiment in the 1880s for Gilbert to write a lyric mocking it.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

OwlFancier posted:

I mean maybe I'm biased cos I've been listening to lots of late 1800's/early 1900's ghost/detective fiction but it mostly seems like it's full of poshos writing about how positively ghastly the lower orders are and how they're definitely going to steal your jewels by jove.]

It's romantic in the sense that there's usually some very elaborate scheme involved and the detectives are terribly witty and brilliant but the fundamental sense of aristo anxiety about the state of everything (especially other aristos) is the big constant.

The overhwelming impression I'm getting of the era is that it's full of rich people who apparently have absolutely no imagination at all and spend all their day at "the club" boozing and hobnobbing with other pickled old gits and this is what passes for employment among their section of society, but they're all very miserable about it for some reason. While everyone else is incredibly stressed out about everything and dying of weird diseases or having their husbands killed at sea.

People in those days liked to read about rich people in their popular fiction as a means of escapism: you may not own a country house and be a member of one of the clubs off Pall Mall, but it's still an enjoyable fantasy to read about the people who DO live like that. It's not too different today: think about the number of costume dramas about poor olden day people vs the ones about rich fucks riding around in carriages and going to balls and stuff.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
the people writing all the books I'm reading, no imagination. Probably never travelled anywhere either.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

BalloonFish posted:

Gilbert and Sullivan wrote at least two songs with this line in it almost word for word.

Of course, they were satirising it and the characters saying/singing it are a sham intellectual and a blowhard overly-patriotic peer. But it must have been a genuine and common enough sentiment in the 1880s for Gilbert to write a lyric mocking it.

I have absolutely no doubt that "things are poo poo now but they used to be much better because people knew how to behave back then" is one of the great universals of human nature, and a genuine and common sentiment in every human society ever.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Pistol_Pete posted:

People in those days liked to read about rich people in their popular fiction as a means of escapism: you may not own a country house and be a member of one of the clubs off Pall Mall, but it's still an enjoyable fantasy to read about the people who DO live like that. It's not too different today: think about the number of costume dramas about poor olden day people vs the ones about rich fucks riding around in carriages and going to balls and stuff.

This is exactly what all newspapers do now, albeit for purely marketing purposes. You show the reader a lifestyle and products a couple of notches up from where they exist on the social scale in order to make them feel inadequate enough to buy the stuff

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Guavanaut posted:

Probably because back then if you went out in public and stood outside a traditional barber's shop shouting "that's a brothel! amongst our homes!" they'd put you on thorazine Margaret.

nothing says "Turkish" like the name, uh, Aiden

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002

Runcible Cat posted:

I have absolutely no doubt that "things are poo poo now but they used to be much better because people knew how to behave back then" is one of the great universals of human nature, and a genuine and common sentiment in every human society ever.

As good a reason as any to post the wire

https://youtu.be/pQEopQNxqi4

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Julio Cruz posted:

nothing says "Turkish" like the name, uh, Aiden

He might have anglicised it. Aydin is a fairly common Turkish name

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I checked Companies House, and the owner is Turkish and has around 10 similarly named barbers listed. And fair play to him.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
You can call your barbers a Turkish barbers and not even be Turkish, cops can't do anything to stop you.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
If you say you're Turkish these days...

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

kingturnip posted:

He might have anglicised it. Aydin is a fairly common Turkish name

I mean if you're going to be a Turkish barber I don't see why you'd do that

(also you'd probably put "Turkish" somewhere on your shop, which this guy hasn't)

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
A sarcastic round of applause also for the 7 brave Yorkshire coppers it took to arrest a 16-year old young autistic woman who told her mum that one of them looked like her lesbian nan.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

A couple of months ago I had a young couple ask what the legal requirements were to set up a barbershop.
And while I didn't have the answer to hand (I ultimately sent him over to the Local Enterprise Office as they help people start businesses) my limited research indicated he would need stuff like Insurance and some sort of accreditation. Like it really didn't seem like all he needed to start a barbershop was a building and some scissors.

Who knows.
Maybe their is just a low level of requirements for entry into the industry not no requirements.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Julio Cruz posted:

I mean if you're going to be a Turkish barber I don't see why you'd do that

(also you'd probably put "Turkish" somewhere on your shop, which this guy hasn't)
He may just be a Turkish person who is a barber and wants to manage and hand off some barbershops without any ethnicity related issues of being seen as 'a Turkish barber'.

Which just makes it weirder that the people singling out his establishment are going on about "the so-called Turkish barbers are Albanian drug brothels"

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Remember the good old days when CEX was the only money laundering operation on the high street

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Think HSBC have been going a while too.