Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
my deck fell less than a foot onto the floor and now the right joystick is half popped out and won't move - is there a trick to getting it back in or would I have to unscrew the entire thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

tinaun posted:

my deck fell less than a foot onto the floor and now the right joystick is half popped out and won't move - is there a trick to getting it back in or would I have to unscrew the entire thing?

The joystick modules are super easy to get to if you unscrew the back of it, at least. I wouldn't risk trying to force it back in to place from the front, if you break or get a weird dent in the joystick crown it'll probably act pretty weird.

Worst case if it's already hosed it's a good excuse to install the hall effect sticks for 30 bucks, I guess. The new versions come with their own joystick caps pre-soldered.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Vic posted:

Honestly I think it's because Due Sex Likes sounds salacious.

Lol, I’m pretty certain it’s pronounced Dayoos Ex because it’s Latin.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Day o' sex

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Deuce Sex

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
Do Sex

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

You don't do sex in Deus Ex sadly. JD Denton does not gently caress. Neither does Adam Jensen despite that one promo shot of him reclining with no shirt on.

The Cyberpunk protag though, I got a quest playing yesterday that literally just played a sex scene and then marked as complete.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Voodoo Cafe posted:

Wine/Proton use the notion of a 'prefix' that contains the virtual C: drive used by whatever application you're trying to run. On Linux, Steam stores these prefixes under
code:
$HOME/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/compatdata/<GAME ID>
782330 is the game ID for Doom Eternal, so the virtual C: drive is
code:
$HOME/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/compatdata/782330
So making sense of your command above:

code:
# this just finds any files/folders named 782330 within .local
find .local/ -name "782330"

# and adding -exec rm -rf {} + will find any files/folders named 782330 and then run rm -rf on them, which deletes them without asking for confirmation 
find .local/ -name "792330" -exec rm -rf {} +

Thanks! So it look like Steam installs the game in one location and the required dependencies in another location. If the dependencies are broken in some way, they will stop the game from even starting. When I ran find .local/ -name “782330” -exec rm -rf {} + it deleted those Windows components so the game had to reinstall them upon its first run.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Deck is still doing that thing where I put it to sleep but the screen stays on. It's super frustrating.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Supposed Quake II remaster coming today for quakecon.
Yamagi Quake II works just fine but I'd assume a remaster would have at least one new episode.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah I'm sure everyone in this thread has 10 ways to play Quake 2 already, I'm hoping for some new content or something to entice us to spend the $10 on it

Bethesda has done really well with the doom franchise, so I kind of trust that they wont mess this up too bad

Plesae dont mess this up bethesda

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Beastie posted:

Deck is still doing that thing where I put it to sleep but the screen stays on. It's super frustrating.

Did that persist after a full reimaging? I had a weird graphics issue with external monitors that just cascaded into weirdness until I reimaged.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

ALSO, for the 2 people interested, Overwatch 2 drops on the Steam today, I believe 4PM PST

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Yeah I'm sure everyone in this thread has 10 ways to play Quake 2 already, I'm hoping for some new content or something to entice us to spend the $10 on it
It's probably going to be an update to the existing Quake II listing on Steam so I imagine you won't have to spend anything on it.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

tuyop posted:

Did that persist after a full reimaging? I had a weird graphics issue with external monitors that just cascaded into weirdness until I reimaged.

Haven't tried that yet but It's probably going to be what I do on Sunday.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

jokes posted:

I got BG3 to work!

No issues at 40 with medium ish settings and 12 TDP. Looks pretty dang good!

what fixed it for you? I don't even have the game but maybe you'll help somebody else later.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I'm extremely stoked for any kind of Quake 2 remaster. When they updated Quake 1 I replayed the entire game again and it's still way better than most modern shooters, no nostalgia goggles or rose-tinted glasses.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Suburban Dad posted:

what fixed it for you? I don't even have the game but maybe you'll help somebody else later.

It seemed that, on first run, the PowerTools addon through decky was causing a problem. Reverting to default didn't help, but uninstalling it altogether worked.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
heard it was on sale, thinking of getting for BG3 maybe

any advice for someone who hasn't looked into them much?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

advice for what, the deck?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
yeah, should I avoid the cheaper ones

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The only difference is the storage (and also the 512 has a matte screen). BG3's like 150gb so you're not gonna install it on the 64 without a SD card.

But you can also just get the 64 and open it up to put a 1TB drive in there for less than the price of the 512.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Cheaper ones are actually recommended if you're willing to do the SSD internal swap, you can turn a 64 model into a 1tb one for less than the 512 model. If you rather not open your Deck and get down to business then just get the 512, BG3 is huge and it won't fit the 64GB on stock. The cache data is also stored on the internal drive, so even if you bought a 1tb micro SD for the 64gb model you'll be running into space issues anyways

Efb

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I'd say get the 64GB and an SD card and a screen protector.

If you're comfortable following this guide, get the 64GB and a big SSD and a screen protector.

There's no speed difference between putting games on an SD versus the internal SSD.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

jokes posted:

There's no speed difference between putting games on an SD versus the internal SSD.

This is very game dependent, Halo Master Chief Collection was unplayable until I moved it to my SSD because it couldn't load areas off the SD card fast enough so whenever I hit a checkpoint it would basically freeze for 30 seconds.

If you're comfortable cracking the thing open and replacing the SSD yourself (you can buy bigger ones from iFixit and Amazon listings have started to include "Steam Deck compatible" in them as well) get the 64gb model, if not get the 256.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Actually now that I'm thinking about it, Total War: Warhammer 3 had way worse load times on SD versus the SSD.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Bethesda has done really well with the doom franchise, so I kind of trust that they wont mess this up too bad

Plesae dont mess this up bethesda

Turns out its a NightDive Studios remaster in the vein of System Shock and the like

Also includes a new campaign by Machine Games

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_7vyBP-OPk

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Turns out its a NightDive Studios remaster in the vein of System Shock and the like

Also includes a new campaign by Machine Games

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_7vyBP-OPk

i've bought all of NightDive's remasters , i think i bought their doom and quake ports on like 3 separate consoles. love them, they always put tons of effort in. total no-brainer buying these

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

It's also a free update if you already bought Quake 2 on Steam.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

njsykora posted:

:aaa:

Well, I needed some good news today that's for sure.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Alan Smithee posted:

heard it was on sale, thinking of getting for BG3 maybe

any advice for someone who hasn't looked into them much?

BG3 runs fine and controls well, but the current FSR leaves a lot to be desired so it'll either look a bit blurry or a bit pixelated. Streaming probably fixes this (and they could update it since Larian's clearly paying attention to the Deck) but I haven't played long enough to tell you for certain.

Replacing the SSD is dead simple, and while the 64gb is actually pretty reasonable there's real reasons to replace that drive (I did it).

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Apparently since I tested it out, BG3 has been updated fixing some bugs on the Deck and it also looks like people already modded in FSR2.0 so my above comment is probably irrelevant. Larian says they're gonna officially support it soon, so that's awesome.

edit: Looked into running this mod on the Deck and it's not a great improvement. That said, this article had some tips for settings which actually do make a remarkable improvement to the game and I heavily endorse them for anyone playing BG3 on the deck.

Atoramos fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Aug 10, 2023

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Is this also the thread for power wash simulator?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I've never actually played Quake so guess I'll go and do that now

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

njsykora posted:

Oh, sick, turns out I already own it and didnt even know

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

tuyop posted:

Is this also the thread for power wash simulator?

I played it almost exclusively on my deck through Xbox cloud so I say yes.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
are there any settings for the touchscreen?

i ask because i've been wondering why NWN did not work well using the touchscreen - particularly doing stuff like selecting options in dialogue or doing inventory just doesn't work - and i think maybe it's because the steam deck doubleclicks by default when you touch the screen? i even have a stylus which i used on the switch that i figured would be perfect for this

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

jabro posted:

I played it almost exclusively on my deck through Xbox cloud so I say yes.

Sweet. What are the cleaners for and when should I use them?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Oh, sick, turns out I already own it and didnt even know

Maybe from this 2020 Bethesda giveaway, and the copy then migrated to Steam?

https://www.pcgamer.com/quake-2-is-currently-free-on-the-bethesda-launcher-quake-3-follows-next-week/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Your Computer posted:

are there any settings for the touchscreen?

i ask because i've been wondering why NWN did not work well using the touchscreen - particularly doing stuff like selecting options in dialogue or doing inventory just doesn't work - and i think maybe it's because the steam deck doubleclicks by default when you touch the screen? i even have a stylus which i used on the switch that i figured would be perfect for this

The touchscreen sorta sucks, I'd like to tinker with it somehow but I think it just sucks!