Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Boywhiz88 posted:

Sorry you were caught in a school zone. Maybe just don’t speed.
how dare u, don't u know it's literally impossible not to drive to the absolute maximum speed the road infrastructure allows??? drivers have zero agency once they get behind the wheel,,, :downs:

Revising street infrastructure to discourage dangerous driving is a positive goal that should be pursued, but I've seen plenty of wildly unsafe driving on extremely narrow, low-visibility roads that says no amount of infrastructure change outside taking cars off the road completely (:getin:) is going to fix the problem of aggressive and negligent driving. Structural change needs to go hand in hand with societal change to smack down sociopathic behaviour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
my college town was pretty good. I could walk to campus from my apartment, I could walk to the grocery store, the main street with a bunch of poo poo to do, and there were 2 bars that were basically just across a parking lot or a street. it was still pretty car dependent though, but the bus service was good.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Cugel the Clever posted:

how dare u, don't u know it's literally impossible not to drive to the absolute maximum speed the road infrastructure allows??? drivers have zero agency once they get behind the wheel,,, :downs:

Revising street infrastructure to discourage dangerous driving is a positive goal that should be pursued, but I've seen plenty of wildly unsafe driving on extremely narrow, low-visibility roads that says no amount of infrastructure change outside taking cars off the road completely (:getin:) is going to fix the problem of aggressive and negligent driving. Structural change needs to go hand in hand with societal change to smack down sociopathic behaviour.

I live on a one-way street with on street parking on both sides, so it can be pretty narrow in the evening or if there's something going on. the most dangerous drivers are usually people who work for like doordash or whatever. although they're incentivized to drive as fast as possible so lol

mystes
May 31, 2006

Pittsburgh has buses and its old enough that not every road is a highway and it's physically possible to walk around so unfortunately that actually probably makes it like 90th percentile for the us

maybe not that great for biking but at least nowadays you could get an ebike to handle the general hilliness

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
College towns are much better than the median for walkability. Even their stadiums have much smaller parking lots than pro teams and I strongly suspect it's because they've got a baked in audience within pissing distance

mystes
May 31, 2006

Milo and POTUS posted:

they've got a baked in audience within pissing distance
which is probably surprisingly far after all that beer

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
they've definitely got a baked and pissed audience close by

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Cugel the Clever posted:

how dare u, don't u know it's literally impossible not to drive to the absolute maximum speed the road infrastructure allows???

The hands down fastest way around here to piss people off behind the wheel is do 25mph in a 25mph zone and stop fully at all stop signs. Elicits honking, swerving, etc every time.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Milo and POTUS posted:

College towns are much better than the median for walkability. Even their stadiums have much smaller parking lots than pro teams and I strongly suspect it's because they've got a baked in audience within pissing distance

yeah I remember someone maybe here maybe somewhere else saying the reason americans get so nostalgic for college days is that it's the only time in their lives they lived somewhere walkable and all of the social benefits that come with it. and yeah.

when I was a student at KU, we had a respectable football team and since I had a student athletic pass I got tickets to all the football and half of the basketball home games (the pass was like $150, tickets to go see Mizzou @ KU this year are like $250 a piece if you're not a student lol). I have fond memories of waking up with my now fiancee on saturday morning, walking to our friend's house a half mile away, pregaming and walking a couple of blocks to the stadium, watching the game and then going to house parties the rest of the day. can't do that now. not just because I can't handle a hangover either.

going to a monday big XII homegame at allen fieldhouse was a needed reprieve from studying. hell I'd settle for being able to walk to a bar to watch a game now

spacemang_spliff has issued a correction as of 17:39 on Aug 10, 2023

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Milo and POTUS posted:

Many schools also have limited amount of land and are forced to do the math on whether it's best spent on classrooms and dorms or on free parking for game day.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

This happened recently here and a bunch of people crawled out of the woodwork to complain about how dangerous these dividers are to unsuspecting drivers

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Crashing into a stationary object and blaming the stationary object ftw

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

leftist heap posted:

This happened recently here and a bunch of people crawled out of the woodwork to complain about how dangerous these dividers are to unsuspecting drivers

Call me callous, but I don't think drivers who don't suspect stationary objects near the road should be allowed to drive.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

genericnick posted:

If those things weren't so loving expensive. Not like a car of course, but stilll.
owning a car would pay for a new e-cargo bike every 2 years lol, and that's only riding a couple hundred k a month.

sim posted:

More than you think, I imagine. People are just A) busy with their lives and don't have time/interest in politics (especially contacting their city council members) and B) unaware that things could be better or different. That's why I really think a lot of good comes from just using your bike for normal things and showing people what's possible.

Whenever I use a cargo bike for anything that's normally done by car (groceries, home improvement supplies, etc.) people are just like baffled at the existence of a cargo bike. "What is that?" "Where did you get it?" "Is it easy to use?"

We're all just fighting against a century of car propaganda so it's kind of impossible
It was like that 10 years ago for us too. People were staring as if I were riding a supersport. Every time I show up at the trail head with my MTB towed by my e-cargo people still wanna talk/ask questions.

evil_bunnY has issued a correction as of 19:00 on Aug 10, 2023

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
In 2022, the average American spent $10,728 on car ownership. That's a lot of ebikes.

Median personal income in the US in 2021 was $50,392 for men, and $36,726 for women.

It's wild that an ebike is derided as an expensive toy but nobody blinks at the idea of spending 1/5th or more of your gross income on a car.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

In 2022, the average American spent $10,728 on car ownership. That's a lot of ebikes.
LOL that's a brand new Busch & Muller Load 75, literally the most expensive cargo bike around, every year.
And 10k/year doesn't even get you like, a *nice* car.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

evil_bunnY posted:

owning a car would pay for a new e-cargo bike every 2 years lol, and that's only riding a couple hundred k a month.

It's really depressing how car ownership costs don't scale down as much as you'd think if you drive less but still need the car occasionally.

When we went from 2 cars to one car, insurance costs only dropped $10/mo. Yes, I shopped around and hustled, insurance companies charge more comparatively if you have more drivers than cars.

Even if you're only driving 3,000 miles a year, you're still on the hook for registration, potentially with the extra anti-EV or hybrid taxes a lot of states have passed, a new set of tires every 6 years because of age, fluid changes.

Looking at my family's car expenses, insurance costs are by far the biggest thing and those don't seem to scale up or down by how much you drive as much as you'd expect. We bought our cars more than 4 years ago like sane people, and I sold my Ford Fiesta during peak car bubble for $4k more than I bought it for new and Carvana will still offer what we paid for our Kia new as a trade in value, so my observation is that cars no longer depreciate, which makes car ownership cheaper.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Thought you guys might appreciate this in light of last week’s conversation about cycling safety

quote:

Portland Police Sgt. Ty Engstrom says people have become entitled on the roadways.

“All motorists, all pedestrians, all bicyclists, it seems like we’ve forgotten how to use these roadways together safely and to share them," Engstrom said.

quote:

My feeling is pedestrians need to have a role of making themselves more visible because the driver as they're driving, what they're picking up on is going to be movement or some sort of visibility, being able to identify something out there in the road," Johnson said. "And they're scanning and sometimes the wipers are going, it's raining, it's dark. Sometimes the dash lights are there so they can't see as well as a pedestrian often thinks they're being seen

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

going back to the city nerd video on the twin cities, my only issue is his comments is that he thought the perception of certain areas being unsafe for transit was overblown. That's definitely not true, and I think him being male is a part of that. There are definitely women I know here who stopped using transit after covid started, not just general safety issues, but being sexually harassed, fondled, etc. One woman told me that's why she stopped using transit when she lived in Chicago. So the car is a way to protect yourself from that.

obviously more people on transit = more safety, but more safety requires more people, so it's a catch-22

Noosphere
Aug 31, 2008

[[[error]]] Damn not found.

evil_bunnY posted:

It was like that 10 years ago for us too. People were staring as if I were riding a supersport. Every time I show up at the trail head with my MTB towed by my e-cargo people still wanna talk/ask questions.

I wanna ask questions. What's your setup ?

Got my fancy new cargo bike yesterday :toot:

It'll replace this one :

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

evil_bunnY posted:

Jumping on the "show people what's possible" bandwagon. People are always doing a double take when I fit an entire grocery cart full into 4 panniers. Hopefully a thing switched from impossible to possible in their mind and that will inform how they think about their city and how it's used.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Thought you guys might appreciate this in light of last week’s conversation about cycling safety

I once shone my flashlight at a driver who'd kept his high beams on as he rode towards me and our pup taking a walk and boy was he not happy. What're you gonna do, shine your high beams harder? Vroom vroom your little engine? Suck my dick.

evil_bunnY has issued a correction as of 20:25 on Aug 10, 2023

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

HashtagGirlboss posted:

it is true that visibility worsens if you are driving in the rain or at night but the safe ting for a driver to do in those scenarios is to slow down, but thats anathema to suggest and nobody would do it anyway

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Noosphere posted:

Can't show you now because it's setup for commuting/school right now but it's just a standard rack, and one of those panniers you can fit a front wheel into.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Weembles posted:

Many schools also have limited amount of land and are forced to do the math on whether it's best spent on classrooms and dorms or on free parking for game day.

It's a great illustration of how limited parking isn't the end of the world. College football hasn't ended just because everyone can't park directly outside the stadium. People find a way. There isn't enough space on campus here to accommodate every student commuting by car. A lot of them freak out initially when they aren't awarded parking, but then they just figure something out.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I saw a dude on a cargo bike on my way to work yesterday. he had a big sign hanging off his back rack that said THIS VEHICLE MAY TAKE THE LANE and it's the only time I've ever seen a giant painted sign on someone's vehicle and thought "This person is actually super smart."

Kicked Throat
Apr 12, 2005

HashtagGirlboss posted:

I'm going to start carrying a gigantic 5 tier sheer white wedding cake which sways and wobbles ever so precariously

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

lobster shirt posted:

it is true that visibility worsens if you are driving in the rain or at night but the safe ting for a driver to do in those scenarios is to slow down, but thats anathema to suggest and nobody would do it anyway

Listen, the more cars there are, the more dangerous it is. If they go as fast as possible, they will reach their destination faster and therefore there will be less cars, which will be safer.

Also with sufficient speed you won't notice that you hit someone.

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

HashtagGirlboss posted:

how the gently caress do you make yourself more visible to people who aren't even looking out their windshields

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

look bud those texts aren’t gonna send themselves

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Every time I read/hear the "pedestrians must be more visible thing" I think of the "what are you supposed to do??" call from here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5u0khFnHUg&t=30s

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Median personal income in the US in 2021 was $50,392 for men, and $36,726 for women.

It's wild that an ebike is derided as an expensive toy but nobody blinks at the idea of spending 1/5th or more of your gross income on a car.

Got curious about my household math and between payment, insurance, and gas we spend ~$500 / month on our one car. That's with no daily commute too.

So yeah, we could just be buying a brand new ebike every quarter or so for what we spend on a car.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

the jumbo pillars on every modern car put an enormous blind spot right where a pedestrian waiting to cross would be if the car is stopped at an intersection. it loving sucks!

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

HashtagGirlboss posted:

The PPB has to be the worst major-city department in the US. Christ they suck rear end.

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you

Twerk from Home posted:

It's really depressing how car ownership costs don't scale down as much as you'd think if you drive less but still need the car occasionally.

When we went from 2 cars to one car, insurance costs only dropped $10/mo. Yes, I shopped around and hustled, insurance companies charge more comparatively if you have more drivers than cars.

Even if you're only driving 3,000 miles a year, you're still on the hook for registration, potentially with the extra anti-EV or hybrid taxes a lot of states have passed, a new set of tires every 6 years because of age, fluid changes.

Looking at my family's car expenses, insurance costs are by far the biggest thing and those don't seem to scale up or down by how much you drive as much as you'd expect. We bought our cars more than 4 years ago like sane people, and I sold my Ford Fiesta during peak car bubble for $4k more than I bought it for new and Carvana will still offer what we paid for our Kia new as a trade in value, so my observation is that cars no longer depreciate, which makes car ownership cheaper.

We got really lucky and bought a new car right before the chip shortage so we got $5K off from the dealer, $4K back on our taxes for it being a plug-in hybrid. Moved to a new place where I could bike to work so we sold the new car to Carmax for $3K over the sticker price and walked away making money on the car, used some of it to buy a e-cargo bike!

HashtagGirlboss posted:

PPB is the worst and I am worried about continued support for bike infrastructure since the number of people bike commuting has been dropping since the pandemic.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Leroy Diplowski posted:

Jumping on the "show people what's possible" bandwagon. People are always doing a double take when I fit an entire grocery cart full into 4 panniers. Hopefully a thing switched from impossible to possible in their mind and that will inform how they think about their city and how it's used.
I just got a whole bunch of ikea flatpack home :)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Noosphere posted:

Got my fancy new cargo bike yesterday :toot:

It'll replace this one :

Do you like it more than the taga? I badly want to replace our Taga 2.0 because it's just so slowwww

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you
That's awesome!

A week's worth of laundry for my partner and I including sheets and towels, 14 mile round trip with all of it easy peasy.

Noosphere
Aug 31, 2008

[[[error]]] Damn not found.

evil_bunnY posted:

Can't show you now because it's setup for commuting/school right now but it's just a standard rack, and one of those panniers you can fit a front wheel into.

Cool stuff ! Thanks for the link.

trevorreznik posted:

Do you like it more than the taga? I badly want to replace our Taga 2.0 because it's just so slowwww

Agreed with the slowness of the Taga. It's a great machine, but I really dislike going father than a few km with it. Since I moved to an area with more traffic, and with the summer heat, I resolved to get an ebike. So far it's a blast ! Suprisingly tricky to ride compared to a normal bike at first, but having a motor is just so nice with a big heavy cargo bike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
cargo trailers are so underrated imo