Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Touchscreens should be banned from anything that’s not a phone or a tablet tbh, because they are always a bit wank and frustrating when they’ve just been wedged into another device.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

tuyop posted:

Sweet. What are the cleaners for and when should I use them?

I rarely used them. They didn’t seem to help that much as the game went on. For me it was just quicker to use a nozzle with less degrees. The yellow and the zero degree pulsating one can get you through everything. The game doesn’t take into account damage to what you’re washing so blast the poo poo out of everything.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I only used the cleaning fluids on levels that really sucked like the treehouse because it let you just blast a wide area quickly then focus on the leftover spots

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
In case anyone was wondering, the Quake 2 remaster works perfectly on the deck out of the box. Not surprising since Nightdive/Machine got it working at a stable 60 on Switch as well. It's got modern gamepad support, so everything just works as you'd expect with no fiddling required.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

jokes posted:

The touchscreen sorta sucks, I'd like to tinker with it somehow but I think it just sucks!

well, at least it's not just me then :v:

History Comes Inside! posted:

Touchscreens should be banned from anything that’s not a phone or a tablet tbh, because they are always a bit wank and frustrating when they’ve just been wedged into another device.

you're not wrong and i'm 100% button over touch any day of the week i just find that with ye olde crpgs where you press the mouse buttons 1000x times a minute it's actually an uncomfortable amount of strain with a controller :negative:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I made a controller layout that I think should remove the worst of the mousing around in NWN, you can find it here: steam://controllerconfig/704450/3018178189. You'll probably still have to pause a lot, NWN is just gonna be a bit awkward on Deck unless we can get an update from Beamdog that adds in the native controller support from the console ports.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Commander Keene posted:

I made a controller layout that I think should remove the worst of the mousing around in NWN, you can find it here: steam://controllerconfig/704450/3018178189. You'll probably still have to pause a lot, NWN is just gonna be a bit awkward on Deck unless we can get an update from Beamdog that adds in the native controller support from the console ports.

oh! i didn't expect anyone to just come in with a NWN layout lmao. i'll check that out later, thank you :dance: how exactly do those links work?

and yea i'm mad that they never backported the console controls since they're right there. i have the game on my switch but it runs so bad i only really bought it (on a heavy discount) to see it for myself. similar thing with BG1/2 and Icewind Dale/Planescape: Torment, have the console ports right there with controller support and just never backported it to the pc versions

e: yeah i don't understand how to use that link :negative:

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Aug 10, 2023

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Your Computer posted:

oh! i didn't expect anyone to just come in with a NWN layout lmao. i'll check that out later, thank you :dance: how exactly do those links work?

and yea i'm mad that they never backported the console controls since they're right there. i have the game on my switch but it runs so bad i only really bought it (on a heavy discount) to see it for myself. similar thing with BG1/2 and Icewind Dale/Planescape: Torment, have the console ports right there with controller support and just never backported it to the pc versions

e: yeah i don't understand how to use that link :negative:
I, uh, I'm not entirely certain how they work either. Look for "Rokanheathstone's NWN Layout" in the community layouts, I've uploaded it for others to use.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
I'm not gonna go bat for the deck touchscreen because I have no idea what's wrong and might be just dumb. It's got more latency than phones right?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Vic posted:

I'm not gonna go bat for the deck touchscreen because I have no idea what's wrong and might be just dumb. It's got more latency than phones right?

I don't want to say yes but sometimes it feels like something is going on there and it doesn't feel good at all.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The touchscreen itself is fine its just the games you want to play generally don't have touchscreen support because no one wants a Windows computer with a touchscreen, so its just emulating a mouse and that sucks, mice don't work like touchscreens its never going to feel good. Its not awful in desktop mode but you can do everything much better with the trackpads so its kinda useless overall.

IDK if Proton even handles touchscreen games, I think it might? NWN doesn't have native touch support but BG1 does apparently, kinda interested in seeing if that actually works.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Quake 2 remaster runs like a loving dream.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Vic posted:

It feels like it has the accuracy of you having giant sausage fingers and only approximates somewhere in the general vicinity of where that lands. Hitting the "play" button in various launchers (blizzard games and fallout nv) is even problematic and takes a couple tries sometimes. It's serviceable since I'm not using it as a tablet but there seems to be a lot of room for improvement.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah at first I wondered if they’d put the world’s last resistive screen on it. The accuracy seems terrible (though serviceable for gaming mode), hopefully they can improve it through software.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I'm comfortable fixing it by replacing it, my deck is a frankenstein already.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I finally sat down and got sunlight setup. :woop: I used to use gamestream through Nvidia before they broke it and could never get it to work afterwards with sunlight. I had to delete my PC in moonlight and then also turn off gamestream in geforce experience. Otherwise it kept trying to connect an "nvidia shield" to my PC and I couldn't get it to connect to sunlight. I have never seen instructions for existing users of moonlight so it was a bit clunky but not too hard to figure out in the end. Now I may try BG3 at some point...

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Just started Disco Elysium. Going to go for a sociopathic capitalist this time.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

You can just say capitalist

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

njsykora posted:

Quake 2 remaster runs like a loving dream.

hell yea. only have my swith with me this weekend but i can't wait to go back and update q2 on deck. i think i got it either for free or like 3 euro

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Doom eternal runs like an absolute dream, it's incredible. Something is hinky about the combat though. Like, the chainsaw situation is weird.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

jokes posted:

Doom eternal runs like an absolute dream, it's incredible. Something is hinky about the combat though. Like, the chainsaw situation is weird.

Try playing at at least 45 fps because the chainsaw becomes smooooooth as butter. It still blows my mind that I'm playing Doom Eternal at maximum settings on a goddam handheld.

e: and to add to everyone else, Quake 2 remastered is a ton of content; and free if you already own Quake 2. The amount of stuff packed into this release is what all remasters ought to aim for. And yes, it runs like a loving dream.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Aug 11, 2023

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Quake 2 is also extremely good with the gyro. I got tired of stick aiming after a couple levels and turned it on and holy moly is it great for this game. The out of the box steam gyro settings are really good too. All I did was invert the vertical.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Did anyone happen to have a good guide on installing mods for fallout new vegas?

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Lord Lambeth posted:

Did anyone happen to have a good guide on installing mods for fallout new vegas?

I think it's best if you finish the install on PC with a modmanager and then move the entire thing over.

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

Don't worry, like they say " It's all good! "

Wait is Quake 2 with the original music or not??

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Miguel Prado posted:

Yes. It was the first thing a friend of mine checked.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Anyone having issues with the Emuchievements plugin?

When I loaded a game, it said my token had expired and I needed to log in again.

But when I try to open the plugin settings, it just spins and never opens the settings.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Anyone use public transportation but hesitant to bring their steam deck? For some reason I am. I’ll bring my switch no problem but not my deck even though it doesn’t cost that much more. It just “feels” like a much more valuable piece of equipment.

Maybe it’s because I can’t fit it in my pocket.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

theblackw0lf posted:

Anyone use public transportation but hesitant to bring their steam deck? For some reason I am. I’ll bring my switch no problem but not my deck even though it doesn’t cost that much more. It just “feels” like a much more valuable piece of equipment.

Maybe it’s because I can’t fit it in my pocket.

It's the case. You're worried about scratching it so you're carrying it around in the case and it's awkward to get it out on public transport

pig labeled 3
Jan 3, 2007
Anyone else feel weird about whipping their deck out on public transit?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Nah I have strangers ask me about my massive deck all the time.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Miguel Prado posted:

Yes, all the Sonic Mayhem you can eat is back!

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

njsykora posted:

Nah I have strangers ask me about my massive deck all the time.

Has anyone touched your deck?

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Lord Lambeth posted:

I was at a friend's place and a friend of a friend walked in and was immediately drawn to my deck and wanted to feel it's heft in his hands.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Lord Lambeth posted:

Yeah one dude at work asked to hold my deck, he said it didn't feel as big as it looked.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Our daddy taught us not to be ashamed of our Decks, especially since they're such good size and all.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

But people on dead comedy forums keep saying my deck is too big.

They haven't even touched it.

pig labeled 3
Jan 3, 2007
Some people think it's better to take the top part of the shell off of the deck when you first get it

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

I got a spare display from a friend, so I tried setting up the deck with a dock with kb+m and... man, it really does work well as a desktop, I'm honestly blown away. I'm now spending more time playing old shooters and setting up Win95 installs on desktop mode than I am playing games on the sofa. I have wanted a linux box to nerd out on Computer Stuff for a while now and I just didn't realize that the Deck really does perform well in that role. What a great little device.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Beve Stuscemi posted:

All I did was invert the vertical.

Sacrilege