Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

poemdexter posted:

As a fellow computer toucher, I'm 100% for UPS drivers making that much money because the work they do is 1000x harder than what I do sitting at a desk bopping a keyboard all day. I'd wager that most of the tech people complaining never had a job where they literally sweat because I'm sure if they tried it even for one day, they would probably not say "I think this work should get paid less".

And if they honestly are upset about it, they should turn around and DEMAND MORE from their employers instead of doing the crab bucket thing.

you'd think whitecollars would be elated to see minimum wage increases or union wins since it should theoretically raise the water level for everyone

But yeah usually the knee-jerk response here is "how dare this less educated/common person approach my status!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Red Baron posted:

nope, you’re gonna get what you wanted

e-bikes for everyone! (and a steal at only $2000!!!)

Maybe if you stick to lead-acid, lithium is going to go through the roof once 3 ton e-sedans really catch on.

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

nomad2020 posted:

Maybe if you stick to lead-acid, lithium is going to go through the roof once 3 ton e-sedans really catch on.

Na-ion will take up the space for the "poor people's" battery needs.

And I'll wager Si based batteries will become the 'rich people's' battery. Give it a decade to be sure.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

having a diaper of a time trying to make myself care about work enough to get through my backlog today. i don't know how we're all supposed to stay sane and productive for our various overlords when the rational response to the conditions we all currently find ourselves in cannot be openly discussed without violating the terms of service. yeah cool let me just go film and edit seven more videos instead of grappling with the realities of a rapidly declining society and biosphere. let me just do some emails and maybe later i can have my head canoed by a mass shooter at the grocery store.

number! go! uuuup!!!

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

anonumos posted:

My mother got a letter in the mail offering a $500/mo defined benefit plan for her 401k. She asked me about it. I died a little inside. I can't believe this is legal.

Anyway, I'm hoping whatever she has left when she passes goes into education funds for her 5 grandchildren. We all agreed our youngest brother gets her house. Our middle brother doesn't want anything out of the estate (because he's content with what he has, the happy lad), and I don't need anything either, other than edumacating my two kids.

But how can anyone suggest signing over 100k for 500/mo? If she doesn't live 12 more years, some beancounter gets the rest. Appalling.

it's an annuity, yeah? obviously anyone soliciting her with a letter is in it to take her money, but when done properly these arrangements can be a way to essentially buy insurance against living for a really long time. so say if she were to live another 25 years she would still have that $500/month trickle of money going for her, whereas the original $100k would likely have run out ages ago

alternatively it's just a scammer trying to take her money and run, those are more common than ever these days

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

skooma512 posted:

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/08/09/panama-canal-shipping-pileup-due-to-drought-reaches-154-vessels.html

This is going to get worse before it gets better’: Panama Canal pileup due to drought reaches 154 vessels

There are 154 commercial vessels waiting to cross the Panama Canal, with an average wait time of 21 days.
Panama Canal Authority has reduced the number of ships allowed to pre-book transit through the Panamax locks, and restrictions due to ongoing drought conditions will remain in effect until August 21.
40% of all U.S. container traffic travels through the Panama Canal every year.
“This is going to get worse before it gets better,” said one marine shipping expert.

relax, I am assured that our just in time logistics backbone is strong, stable, and resilient

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

anime was right posted:

yeah, i get to work from home in an air conditioned apartment and can post during downtime. a ups driver straight up deserves more money than me

The thump of a package landing on the porch brings a tear to the WFH computer toucher's eye, for he knows that thump represents theft from the truly deserving party - him.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

drat

rest in peace, poster

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Vox Nihili posted:

relax, I am assured that our just in time logistics backbone is strong, stable, and resilient

it’s not a large reduction just from 34-36 vessels a day to 32.

The bigger thing is does look like they are having a maximum draft reduction. so all the bulk carriers at max draft are hosed. those are likely the ones without reservations too. and they’re the slowest 30-45 days around the horn.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Eric Cantonese posted:

The problem with this idea is that no one seems to grasp fully how ridiculously long baby boomers will live. Their lifespans are going to break records, but that also means more decades than usual of needing money without working. I think this supposed great inheritance is not going to happen.

everyone who can afford it is going to end up taking care of their parents at home/apartment because the alternative is nightmarish

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

SlimGoodbody posted:

having a diaper of a time trying to make myself care about work enough to get through my backlog today. i don't know how we're all supposed to stay sane and productive for our various overlords when the rational response to the conditions we all currently find ourselves in cannot be openly discussed without violating the terms of service. yeah cool let me just go film and edit seven more videos instead of grappling with the realities of a rapidly declining society and biosphere. let me just do some emails and maybe later i can have my head canoed by a mass shooter at the grocery store.

number! go! uuuup!!!

:thumbsup:

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Willa Rogers posted:

Leon claimed a while back that anyone could shield their assets by setting up a $200 trust so maybe hit him up about it. You know that you can trust what he says as being the truth.

There's more to it than that but he's kind of right. Hence get your boomer parents to an elder law or estate attorney. If they're too stubborn, stupid or greedy then you're screwed.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Bar Ran Dun posted:

it’s not a large reduction just from 34-36 vessels a day to 32.

The bigger thing is does look like they are having a maximum draft reduction. so all the bulk carriers at max draft are hosed. those are likely the ones without reservations too. and they’re the slowest 30-45 days around the horn.

that draft limit means a 40% reduction in the amount of cargo the largest ships can carry. one ship had to drop off 1,400 containers at a random port so it could squeeze through under the new standards

Apr 7, 2003

Vox Nihili posted:

that draft limit means a 40% reduction in the amount of cargo the largest ships can carry. one ship had to drop off 1,400 containers at a random port so it could squeeze through under the new standards

hell yeah, free poo poo for the lucky random port

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

No matter what you win lose ragepiss.

Paradoxish posted:

You guys aren't quoting the funniest part of the article:

This isn't a story about the "great wealth transfer." It's a story about generational delusions.

edit- the boomers are also delusional and I guarantee a large portion of the 45% who answered >$250k in that survey have basically zero idea about their own long-term costs or how they're going to ensure that any of their assets actually reach their children

More than half expect a $350k inheritance?

Christ I feel like I rolled snake eyes with my parents. They're boomers but somehow they're both penniless and I'll actually end up worse off when they're dead because I'll have to pay thousands to bury them. They have no savings, no assets, no retirement money, no life insurance. Not a drat thing.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Vox Nihili posted:

that’s (1,400 containers on the One Aquila) not a 40% reduction btw. those cans will end up on another one vessel that isn’t at max draft. The container lines will mostly be fine they’ll just load less and will roll bookings on ships. The bulk carriers are the ones that are hosed. they’ll have loaded right up to the max draft. they won’t be able to discharge to get through either.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

some rear end in a top hat probably looked at the ONE Aquila’s summer marks and compared that to the restrict canal drafts to say 40%.

that person is a dumbass.

Apr 7, 2003

Ebola Roulette posted:

More than half expect a $350k inheritance?

Christ I feel like I rolled snake eyes with my parents. They're boomers but somehow they're both penniless and I'll actually end up worse off when they're dead because I'll have to pay thousands to bury them. They have no savings, no assets, no retirement money, no life insurance. Not a drat thing.

lol same

my dad is dead and buried and I had to pay to have him cremated. my mother is penniless and lives with my brother and provides child care

There are plenty of broke-rear end boomers, it's just that the cohort that isn't broke has so much money that they far outweigh any generation before or after.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Vox Nihili posted:

it's an annuity, yeah? obviously anyone soliciting her with a letter is in it to take her money, but when done properly these arrangements can be a way to essentially buy insurance against living for a really long time. so say if she were to live another 25 years she would still have that $500/month trickle of money going for her, whereas the original $100k would likely have run out ages ago

alternatively it's just a scammer trying to take her money and run, those are more common than ever these days

Yeah an annuity. I sincerely doubt she'll live another 25 years. 15 years, maybe. But in 15 years that $500 will literally be a trickle.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

SlimGoodbody posted:

number! go! uuuup!!!
Yesterday a guy at work took me aside privately and said "I look at my life and think, what am I accomplishing? Is this who I really want to be? What impact are we having? Look at the state of the world. Is this really it? There has to be more to life than this right?"

The guy was the owner of my company.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

Yesterday a guy at work took me aside privately and said "I look at my life and think, what am I accomplishing? Is this who I really want to be? What impact are we having? Look at the state of the world. Is this really it? There has to be more to life than this right?"

ask them if they listened to gangstas paradise for the first time yesterday

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

Did you report him to Number for sowing FUD

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Bar Ran Dun posted:

some rear end in a top hat probably looked at the ONE Aquila’s summer marks and compared that to the restrict canal drafts to say 40%.

that person is a dumbass.

well the result of the draft restriction is that the very largest ships allowed have to carry X% less containers than they otherwise could, where X is somewhere in the 20%-40% range, which sounds pretty significant to me. for example, in the case of the Ever Max they had to drop off 10% of the containers on the vessel, which was already 15% under capacity. that's a lot of capacity on the largest vessels that can't be used in Panama Canal crossings now. other ships picking up the slack for those "excess" containers will further crowd the canal at a time when they are letting through fewer daily ships than ever and massively slashing the number of ships that can book crossings ahead of time

seems like more ships are ultimately going to have to go around or unload on the west coast until the drought is over

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

lol same

my dad is dead and buried and I had to pay to have him cremated. my mother is penniless and lives with my brother and provides child care

There are plenty of broke-rear end boomers, it's just that the cohort that isn't broke has so much money that they far outweigh any generation before or after.

First time I tried to get a cell phone the company tried to make me pay my dead father's bill before they'd sell me one.

And my lawyer aunt had to go settle his active cases.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://twitter.com/TheWrap/status/1689622667509288960

Big Labor silencing latinx voices, smdh.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
lmao what the gently caress is blue beetle

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Vox Nihili posted:

well the result of the draft restriction is that the very largest ships allowed have to carry X% less containers than they otherwise could, where X is somewhere in the 20%-40% range, which sounds pretty significant to me. for example, in the case of the Ever Max they had to drop off 10% of the containers on the vessel, which was already 15% under capacity. that's a lot of capacity on the largest vessels that can't be used in Panama Canal crossings now. other ships picking up the slack for those "excess" containers will further crowd the canal at a time when they are letting through fewer daily ships than ever and massively slashing the number of ships that can book crossings ahead of time

seems like more ships are ultimately going to have to go around or unload on the west coast

the containership effect is going to be relatively minor. theyll discharge in balboa and likely train to the other side or visa versa . but that’s just the vessels that got surprised. The lines will just adjust load plans to not hit that draft. The containerships will all have reservations too. most containership don’t load to their marks or canal max draft restrictions. the big post panamaxes, that need the new locks aren’t most of the containerships that use the locks. they can also land bridge across Mexico and the US those are a pretty normal routing.

The bulk carriers and tankers that got surprised they’re the ones with the big problem.

October is the big month for rain down there, it’s likely going to just be august.

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

Gunshow Poophole posted:

silenced

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Gunshow Poophole posted:

I don't know but he accidentally cuts a bus in half...something we have only seen happen in every other super hero movie ever.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

Ted Kord erasure

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

quote:

This has caused concern among groups that have long advocated for authentic Latino representation in media. They fear that Latino-led movies and TV shows such as “Blue Beetle” will lose their cultural significance and be forgotten. To prevent this, 27 Latino advocacy groups issued an unprecedented joint open letter on Wednesday urging the public to #SupportLatinoCreatives at a time when they can’t promote their projects themselves.

lmao

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
lmao

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Blue Beetle is just some rear end in a top hat in Injustice you gotta fight.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Bar Ran Dun posted:

the containership effect is going to be relatively minor. theyll discharge in balboa and likely train to the other side or visa versa . but that’s just the vessels that got surprised. The lines will just adjust load plans to not hit that draft. The containerships will all have reservations too. most containership don’t load to their marks or canal max draft restrictions. the big post panamaxes, that need the new locks aren’t most of the containerships that use the locks. they can also land bridge across Mexico and the US those are a pretty normal routing.

The bulk carriers and tankers that got surprised they’re the ones with the big problem.

October is the big month for rain down there, it’s likely going to just be august.

well usually the lake levels fall from January through May and refill June through December. so the last couple months are supposed to be big months for rain, the rain just didn't come. so assuming the drought ends, yes, things will eventually return to normal. if it continues then things could get worse

the droughts have been getting more frequent over time. they also had one in 2019-2020

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

anime was right posted:

i am absolutely cutting that poo poo and getting a plex server. gently caress this lol.

about 15-20 years ago I recall learning about DRM and digital media copyright poo poo, and built a server for the media I torrented. fast forward 10 years and everything is streaming now so after a move I never plugged it back in. cut to now. over the weekend i wanted to re-watch an episode of Westworld (I know lmao) and, having had an HBO subscription, knew it would be available there.

Recently (this year?) Warner Bros consolidated their streaming platforms into a single one named "MAX", with HBO being its own section in the MAX app. anyways, westworld just isnt there – at all. it seems to know i'm looking for a western as it recommends Deadwood instead. I haven't found anything else missing yet, but yeah uh gently caress all that disappearing media and the streaming prices and all of it

lord forgive me but I bought a 20TB NAS and am going back to my old ways

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

AvesPKS posted:

Ted Kord erasure

He's dead again, sorry!

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Vox Nihili posted:

the droughts have been getting more frequent over time. they also had one in 2019-2020

it’s going to be a worse problem, I agree with that. just not knowing what the max draft canal will be is a BFD for bulk ships. that’s usually what determines their load limit.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

and they’re usually burning fuel and pumping off potable water to make it too.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Gunshow Poophole posted:

85 years ago before world war 2 some random regular dude dressed up like a weirdo and started punching people. He was followed by a series of random regular dudes that punched people. The main one for like 40 years has been Lame Batman That Can't Fight.

The movie is based on the newest Blue Beetle who is some random kid that realized the official Beetle necklace or whatever these idiots had been carrying around for almost a century was actually super advanced alien technology with amazing powers and destinies they never noticed because they were stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

:pwn: