Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

Yesterday a guy at work took me aside privately and said "I look at my life and think, what am I accomplishing? Is this who I really want to be? What impact are we having? Look at the state of the world. Is this really it? There has to be more to life than this right?"

The guy was the owner of my company.

r u michael clayton

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aug 10, 2023
when the banks do a 180 in the same day:

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Burn Zone posted:

about 15-20 years ago I recall learning about DRM and digital media copyright poo poo, and built a server for the media I torrented. fast forward 10 years and everything is streaming now so after a move I never plugged it back in. cut to now. over the weekend i wanted to re-watch an episode of Westworld (I know lmao) and, having had an HBO subscription, knew it would be available there.

Recently (this year?) Warner Bros consolidated their streaming platforms into a single one named "MAX", with HBO being its own section in the MAX app. anyways, westworld just isnt there – at all. it seems to know i'm looking for a western as it recommends Deadwood instead. I haven't found anything else missing yet, but yeah uh gently caress all that disappearing media and the streaming prices and all of it

lord forgive me but I bought a 20TB NAS and am going back to my old ways

max doesnt have WESTWORLD? lmfao jesus christ

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
theyre absolutely going to bring in "tiers" where you get access to more content that they dont want to pay royalties on i bet

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

I think they pulled raised by wolves too. Just totally nuked it

Aug 10, 2023
exclude, nuke, next

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

https://apnews.com/article/kentucky-school-bus-delays-jefferson-louisville-8a8e37aa62012c4f53d8d3ddf06dcac9

New school bus routes a ‘disaster,’ Kentucky superintendent admits. Rest of the week cancelled, last kids got home at 10 pm

quote:

The disaster came after major changes to school bus routes and school start times this year meant to alleviate a bus driver shortage, the Courier Journal reported. The district spent $199,000 to hire the AlphaRoute engineering firm to create a plan that would cut the number of bus routes and stops.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Justin Tyme posted:

I think they pulled raised by wolves too. Just totally nuked it

if you want to watch Ridley Scott jerk off he probably has an Onlyfans, everyone does now

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Lmao

quote:

Latasha Gomis told the paper last week that the bus for her two elementary school children was scheduled to pick them up at 6 a.m. for a 7:40 a.m. school start. The bus stop is almost a half-mile from their home and there are no sidewalks.

Gomis called the district’s transportation department but was told nothing could be changed, she said. Kentucky law allows bus stops for elementary students to be up to a half-mile away while middle and high school students may walk up to one mile.

Walking a mile to the bus stop at 5am. Perfectly normal country.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

Rectal Death Adept posted:

if you want to watch Ridley Scott jerk off he probably has an Onlyfans, everyone does now

goddammit, spoilers

the show got pulled when we were halfway through the first season

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

i am harry posted:

https://apnews.com/article/kentucky-school-bus-delays-jefferson-louisville-8a8e37aa62012c4f53d8d3ddf06dcac9

New school bus routes a ‘disaster,’ Kentucky superintendent admits. Rest of the week cancelled, last kids got home at 10 pm

I got a uncle who drives school buses. They make them come out for like 1-2 hour shifts.. like who the gently caress would be on call for 20 bux or whatever the gently caress.

fibblins
Dec 21, 2007

party swan
re US life expectancy, I'm too lazy to dig up the reports but I'm pretty sure while the US average life expectancy is on the decline, if you look at life expectancy by income, longevity of the wealthy is on par with other developed nations while longevity of the poor is shockingly low. Think it was something like 1 in 5 children under 5 today (a year or two ago) will not live to their 40th birthday. Abysmal poo poo.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

anime was right posted:

MARTIN: So what's going on?

DEGGANS: So this is all about cutting costs. First, a little backstory. HBO Max is owned by Warner Brothers Discovery. And you might remember that that company came together earlier this year when AT&T spun off WarnerMedia and it merged with Discovery. So this new company took on $50 billion - with a B - in debt. And they have spent much of the year cutting costs. They had layoffs at CNN. They shelved a nearly completed Batgirl movie and some other things.

MARTIN: So, OK, but how does this relate to these shows leaving HBO Max? Because, as I said, I think they already spent the money to make them, right?

DEGGANS: (Laughter) This is where it gets a little complicated because it's about these special tax breaks that these companies can take in the immediate aftermath of a merger. So the company expects to write off something up to $3.5 billion connected to content costs as a result. And part of getting that tax benefit means they have to pull some of these shows from the service, including "Westworld," "The Nevers," "The Time Traveler's Wife" and a few more.

MARTIN: So will people still be able to see these shows anywhere? Like, so, like, what if you're in the middle, you know, of a season, for example?

DEGGANS: (Laughter) Well, you better start watching faster.

(LAUGHTER)

MARTIN: OK.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

spacemang_spliff posted:

yeah and the integra was basically a 2 door civic

if i had known then what I know now I never would have gotten rid of it

worst case I'd sell it for $5000

I sold a 20 year old civic last year for $5000

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

Twerk from Home posted:

Lmao

Walking a mile to the bus stop at 5am. Perfectly normal country.

Kids should not be going to school so early jfc.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Again?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

it didn't even go to her boss lol

in either case that's hilarious

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

i am harry posted:

200k could hire many bus drivers

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

i am harry posted:

That's at least eight hours of sleep before it's time to go back to school, what's the problem

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

lol, didnt this happen at least once before

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Flavahbeast posted:

lol, didnt this happen at least once before

I thought this was a repost of that same story.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Vox Nihili posted:

DEGGANS: So this is all about cutting costs. First, a little backstory. HBO Max is owned by Warner Brothers Discovery. And you might remember that that company came together earlier this year when AT&T spun off WarnerMedia and it merged with Discovery. So this new company took on $50 billion - with a B - in debt. And they have spent much of the year cutting costs. They had layoffs at CNN. They shelved a nearly completed Batgirl movie and some other things.

MARTIN: So, OK, but how does this relate to these shows leaving HBO Max? Because, as I said, I think they already spent the money to make them, right?

DEGGANS: (Laughter) This is where it gets a little complicated because it's about these special tax breaks that these companies can take in the immediate aftermath of a merger. So the company expects to write off something up to $3.5 billion connected to content costs as a result. And part of getting that tax benefit means they have to pull some of these shows from the service, including "Westworld," "The Nevers," "The Time Traveler's Wife" and a few more.

MARTIN: So will people still be able to see these shows anywhere? Like, so, like, what if you're in the middle, you know, of a season, for example?

(LAUGHTER)

Some Italian renaissance patron commissioning a sculpture then immediately dumping it into the sea for tax purposes

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Justin Tyme posted:

Some Italian renaissance patron commissioning a sculpture then immediately dumping it into the sea for tax purposes

they use customs bonded warehouses for that now.

recently I’ve learned about customs bonded garages.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

So even better, i personally am paying them with my taxes to take movies off the platform

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Behold, capitalist innovation

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

the producers is a documentary

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
what the actual gently caress is wrong with these people?

https://twitter.com/EmpireOfSight/status/1689785261553790976?t=9-8CCge7QLuyTFjMctffUg&s=19

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

BornAPoorBlkChild posted:

what the actual gently caress is wrong with these people?
trumpt

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

anime was right posted:

If they lose Life and Times of Tim they've lost me

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Burn Zone posted:

about 15-20 years ago I recall learning about DRM and digital media copyright poo poo, and built a server for the media I torrented. fast forward 10 years and everything is streaming now so after a move I never plugged it back in. cut to now. over the weekend i wanted to re-watch an episode of Westworld (I know lmao) and, having had an HBO subscription, knew it would be available there.

Recently (this year?) Warner Bros consolidated their streaming platforms into a single one named "MAX", with HBO being its own section in the MAX app. anyways, westworld just isnt there – at all. it seems to know i'm looking for a western as it recommends Deadwood instead. I haven't found anything else missing yet, but yeah uh gently caress all that disappearing media and the streaming prices and all of it

lord forgive me but I bought a 20TB NAS and am going back to my old ways
nah, it's the right thing. i've already posted my piracy story but i went back to piracy about 3-4 years ago and it's been great. I started pirating games when the whole Launcher wars got started with Epic exclusive bullshit but epic has largely ceded so i've stopped pirating epic games and mostly just buy em still.

i need to buy a new HDD for my NAS tho, i'm about 16 TB and running out of space.

anime was right posted:

WB-Discovery is speedrunning enshittification and corporate collapse. they pulled a ton of stuff to write off as losses or w/e who knows why but they're killing their own egg-laying goose and on a rapid nosedive.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

Yesterday a guy at work took me aside privately and said "I look at my life and think, what am I accomplishing? Is this who I really want to be? What impact are we having? Look at the state of the world. Is this really it? There has to be more to life than this right?"

The guy was the owner of my company.

I talked about the ideology of 90s movies before but this is basically a very 90s thing. basically a ton of well-to-do middle class insurance adjusters or w/e having existential crises about "what is life, is this what i'm supposed to be doing?" there's so many

then the 2000s hit and everything took a poo poo with declining material conditions and now no one has time to have existential crises because they don't have money.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

everyone is definitely still having existential crises they just have no choice but to press forward

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

holefoods posted:

everyone is definitely still having existential crises they just have no choice but to press forward

well its different when it's like "ive got a big house a wife a big car, a high paying job, health insurance and a white picket fence but... i'm so unsatisified?!?!?! whats up with that!" 90s existentialism rather than "help i have no money and need to decide between this co-pay or eating dinner tonight, wish i had health insurance" type of crises

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
if it's like 19th century russian literature, you can become an alcoholic and grumble about it

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

Vox Nihili posted:

(LAUGHTER)

holy poo poo lmao

fuckin capitalism is the best system ever, not a single thing out there better than this. no sir-e I assure you that

Burn Zone has issued a correction as of 01:56 on Aug 11, 2023

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

spiritual bypass posted:

if it's like 19th century russian literature, you can become an alcoholic and grumble about it

smoke weed and post about it

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Xaris posted:

well its different when it's like "ive got a big house a wife a big car, a high paying job, health insurance and a white picket fence but... i'm so unsatisified?!?!?! whats up with that!" 90s existentialism rather than "help i have no money and need to decide between this co-pay or eating dinner tonight, wish i had health insurance" type of crises

it’s the change from a bored person asking: “who am I?”

to people actually confronting the intolerable.

netizen
Jun 25, 2023

Xaris posted:

I talked about the ideology of 90s movies before but this is basically a very 90s thing. basically a ton of well-to-do middle class insurance adjusters or w/e having existential crises about "what is life, is this what i'm supposed to be doing?" there's so many

then the 2000s hit and everything took a poo poo with declining material conditions and now no one has time to have existential crises because they don't have money.

Yep. I feel like 1999's "American Beauty" was the ultimate culmination of all that.

"I hate my life, my wife is a bitch who's obsessed with her career, and my slacker daughter doesn't talk to me. How about I quit my job, start smoking weed, and try to gently caress my daughter's best friend."

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Question for the thread: I've been having a rough time dealing with all the political messaging around the economy being unstoppable right now, due to my personal experience of being unemployed for months and having the hardest job search of my career because the market is flooded with tens of thousands of people who got very publicly laid off this year. Like, it's very obviously not true that unemployment is at its lowest value in decades, because if it was, I wouldn't be struggling to get a job with ten years of experience in my field, and being told by recruiters that it's because there are so many strong applicants in a very competitive market, and seeing nothing but similar stories from other people.

So where the gently caress is this unemployment figure coming from? What book is being cooked here? Something's fishy and I don't have enough education to define it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

loquacius posted:

So where the gently caress is this unemployment figure coming from? What book is being cooked here? Something's fishy and I don't have enough education to define it.
full-time jobs are down, part-time jobs are up