Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

anonumos posted:

AdBlockers got worse in the 2010s. Every single one that i once trusted got Google Chromed.

AFAIK, Ublock Origin is still good, but who knows with the rumors I've heard of how Chrome will change how it deals with ads/ad-blockers, but I think Firefox will still work with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

is pepsi ok posted:

Yeah same, haven't had cable in over 5 years but I still watch the NBA and the NFL so those are the only times I watch TV commercials, and my loving god they are so bad. The worst is when you see an ad in week 1 that's kinda cute and funny, but by week 10 when you're seeing it for the 5000th time it's like hearing nails on a chalkboard.

Also re: putting an ad blocker on your router, I can't do this because I have fiber and my provider puts a hard coded certificate on their routers to encrypt/decrypt the data. So that means I have to rent the router from them instead of using my own, and of course I can't access any of the settings to install anything or even change the DNS. Putting 3rd party firmware on it would cut off my internet traffic.

You can set dns to adguard or a pihole in your clients. Or you can get a second router but this will introduce issues with double nat. If you get a real fancy one you can have it filter dhcp from your ISPs modem but otherwise act as a bridge and dhcp server.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Internet Old One posted:

You can set dns to adguard or a pihole in your clients. Or you can get a second router but this will introduce issues with double nat. If you get a real fancy one you can have it filter dhcp from your ISPs modem but otherwise act as a bridge and dhcp server.

How long until ISPs start attempting to DRM internet connections to stop this? As a bonus, you'll have no choice but to buy their marked up lovely routers too.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

ISPs don't give a gently caress about ad revenue. Follow the money.

edit: AOL might, I guess.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Modal Auxiliary posted:

It's basically a social media/data scraping app at this point. If you can find an old Spotify Lite apk kicking around you can relive the glory days of just listening to some goddamn music without draining 80% of your phone battery and giving yourself a migraine from the world's busiest visual interface (for an audio client).

Don't you like have a 5 second gif looping in the background of an album?

You actually can get all your Spotify data from them thanks to GDPR. I used the CSVs to load up a SQL database so I can throw queries at it, it's fun.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Woolie Wool posted:

How long until ISPs start attempting to DRM internet connections to stop this? As a bonus, you'll have no choice but to buy their marked up lovely routers too.

Not DRM, but:

My landlord forced all of us to allow Comcast to enter our homes and install XFinity modems. A month prior they put ads up about this exciting opportunity to have XFinity "preinstalled" in our apartments.

A personable sales guy showed up at my place and, since Comcast is a local monopoly, he already knew I was a customer. Since he had access to my account, he knew I had my own modem and router (drat right I have a pihole), and didn't give me any crap about having to switch over to their hardware.

Instead, I am responsible for storing and keeping their hardware safe. A relatively minor gripe (at least I don't have to use my electricity to run their hotspot), but they and my landlord can go to hell anyway.

That "preinstalled" modem/router that I had no choice but to house in my place would cost me an extra fifteen bucks per month to "lease," in addition to cost of Comcast's internet service.

What an opportunity.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Woolie Wool posted:

It would get pretty messy pretty fast and probably get people interested in scrutinizing their services with the sort of detail people used to dedicate to the phone system. There is an excellent chance it might backfire spectacularly.

So like probably in the next few years.

To be real though ISPs flirted with this line of thinking for a little while trying to get people to buy multiple modems instead of using routers and NAT and right now home networks and IoT is pretty big and they know theyre better off just trying to get people to rent lovely IoT devices with the added value of some guy setting them up and the ability to get tech support than doing all this craziness. Like whatever they set up would have to either allow vpn or piss off everyone who works from home and a lot of wifi routers already support vpn so those vendors would probably start making that feature real easy to set up.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Ok thread, what ad blocker should I use for Android?

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

anonumos posted:

This has been going on a while, but what's up with wikia? First off all it's the first hit of you search any niche gamer culture poo poo, like mechanics for games, game items, or literally anything if the algorithm thinks you play Minecraft. So that, but also the pages are literally 90% ads, about 6 different kinds of ads. Can't read anything until you click at least 3 times and the page jumps around like a dog chasing a squirrel and they're both on crack. You know I'm desperate to learn some nerdy poo poo if I wade through a wikia article...

I hope literally every bad thing in the world happens to the person who invented the "hitting the back button on your browser takes you to a 'Wait! Don't you want to read this other thing??'" No, fucko. I hit the back button because I'm done and I want to leave.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Time_pants posted:

Ads are loving everywhere. Holy poo poo. Stop trying to sell me poo poo all the time. I was researching something today for work about an old payroll system, and there were three midroll ads in a 20-frame slideshow on the payroll system developer's own website. Not even for their own software or services. Just random other poo poo. gently caress all the way off with that.

I took a flight last week and the mandatory safety video was preceded by three ads and followed by another. The video itself was sponsored by Disney and seemed to imply that bracing for a crash would be as enjoyable as riding a roller coaster at one of Disney's many fine theme parks. This was a domestic flight within Canada going nowhere near Disneyland or Disneyworld.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
i don't know poo poo about dns's and "pi hole" i just downloaded the ios brave browser and it blocks ads for me

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
i hate that wikia(fandom? what the hell is the surviving brand in the merger?) asks me if the highlighted text is something I want to search for. no i want to highlight it, thats why i highlighted it.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
Firefox for Android has plugins, so I just use ublock origin.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
wikia / fandom is basically a complete collection of all the things that make the Internet lovely.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Thesaurus posted:

Ok thread, what ad blocker should I use for Android?

You change your DNS to adguard's, install Firefox as your browser and use ublock origin on it, and sideload a 3rd party youtube app like Newpipe.

I know people like vanced but I couldn't get it to work for me. Newpipe was more straightforward.

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

wikia / fandom is basically a complete collection of all the things that make the Internet lovely.

I didn't realize they bought out something awful.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Firefox with Ublock is all you need. If you switch to desktop mode, you can even play videos in the background, something Google has been selling as a feature of YT premium or whatever it's called. No need for any additional apps.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

If you do find something actually useful on Wikia, there's a 90% chance it's copy/pasted from a different wiki not affiliated with them.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Random Stranger posted:

I didn't realize they bought out something awful.

Unironically - SA has what is probably my favorite community site design on the Internet. It's very simple - it uses space to provide functionality very well. It's snappy as hell. It wasn't built for a phone by some dumbass front end engineers who then just said, 'gently caress it' when it came to the desktop design. It gets the job done in all the right ways - I wouldn't change much.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

steinrokkan posted:

Firefox with Ublock is all you need. If you switch to desktop mode, you can even play videos in the background, something Google has been selling as a feature of YT premium or whatever it's called. No need for any additional apps.

Adguard's dns often blocks ads in apps, so that right there makes it good to use. And I find youtube's desktop site to be a pain on a mobile screen which is why I use another app. But the Firefox adblocker is good for video sites where you can't get someone to bypass their ads in apps.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
use antifandom or similar to make wikis less poo poo

there's plugins too

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

If I spent enough time on wikia I'd probably just sub to a ublock origin list targeting its annoyances or manually block them. This thread reminded me to add adguard to my phone as a DNS though, thanks thread. Ththread.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

At least Wikia is lovely enough that there is usually an alternative fan wiki which is better 99% of the time that is run by the kind of passionate people who are driven away by Wikia's lovely policies. Harder to find though, given Wikia's absurd SEO.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

skooma512 posted:

gang gang. Secure attachment so good

credburn posted:

What does this mean? This is the second time I've seen this.

This is from a few pages back, but Im like 90% sure that gang gang is a backronym for the GG emoji which, of course, us gamers knew to mean good game, but the zoomers had no idea and had to invent a meaning for.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Talorat posted:

This is from a few pages back, but Im like 90% sure that gang gang is a backronym for the GG emoji which, of course, us gamers knew to mean good game, but the zoomers had no idea and had to invent a meaning for.

Thanks for bumping I've been meaning to reply but couldn't remember which thread lol.

I think the term arose as like, a genericized version of stuff from rap lyrics like GUCCI GANG GUCCI GANG GUCCI GANG GUCCI GANG, and when people like something together and say stuff like "alright! pineapple gang". The reference is from livestreamers acting like NPCs

https://www.forbes.com/sites/conorm...sh=40ada2362d05

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Gang gang:inner city::yee yee:country

It's not at all new/gen z

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Lil Wayne had a lyric like "I'm gang gang I've been bout it. Ill go bin laden on anybody"

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Preoptopus posted:

Lil Wayne had a lyric like "I'm gang gang I've been bout it. Ill go bin laden on anybody"

You wouldn't think of the Taliban as a gang, but I mean they were involved in selling drugs, bin laden released a bunch of dis tracks, and they liked to start beef with others, that often lead to shootings, so I mean it does sort of follow. :shrug:

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Update and Restart & Update and Shutdown mean the same thing. What a country :psyduck:

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Black Noise posted:

Update and Restart & Update and Shutdown mean the same thing. What a country :psyduck:

What the gently caress

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
Contra to this thread, Bounty paper towels. Still great. Classic American staple. Effective perforation, unmatched absorbability, cheap at costco.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I believe they have been shrinkflated

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
just lol if you think think "shutdown" actually turns off your computer

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Head Bee Guy posted:

Contra to this thread, Bounty paper towels. Still great. Classic American staple. Effective perforation, unmatched absorbability, cheap at costco.

Posting good things in the bad things thread? That's a ban, fucko.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Biplane posted:

Posting good things in the bad things thread? That's a ban, fucko.

Posting in the "Post ITT every time you notice something got shittier for no good reason" thread because I noticed that the "Post ITT every time you notice something got shittier for no good reason" thread got shitter for no good reason

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Hammerite posted:

Posting in the "Post ITT every time you notice something got shittier for no good reason" thread because I noticed that the "Post ITT every time you notice something got shittier for no good reason" thread got shitter for no good reason

Welcome to the mod team

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Black Noise posted:

Windows 10: We insist on updates

Error 8007000E: lol no updates for you, ever.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
There was a time when you could be pretty sure any on-screen keyboard would be QWERTY, and maybe failing that, it would be alphabetical; but at least still in a grid format to easily go between the letters.

Now, too many things are a single alphanumeric row...often with NO wrap-around.

"Oh, you need a Y and then an A? Ha, have fun!"

And then you try to hold the arrow key to have it scroll the whole way back to be quicker, and one of three things will happen:
1) It doesn't work and you have to hit the arrow key once for every letter you want to go back.
2)It works, but is actually TOO fast, and blitzes past the letter you needed.
3) It works, but there's so much of an initial delay from when you first hold it down to when it finally starts moving, that you're pretty drat sure hitting the button for each letter would be faster.

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Aug 11, 2023

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
somewhat related to the letter thing.

you still have to input your country. even though you already inputed your address. my dude you have a city, state and zip. and youre still asking for country and you put it in the depths of the 'U's?

lol at 2023 and input forms are arguably more janky than the 90s.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

DrBouvenstein posted:

There was a time when you could be pretty sure any on-screen keyboard would be QWERTY, and maybe failing that, it would be alphabetical; but at least still in a grid format to easily go between the letters.

Now, too many things are a single alphanumeric row...often with NO wrap-around.

"Oh, you need a Y and then an A? Ha, have fun!"

And then you try to hold the arrow key to have it scroll the whole way back to be quicker, and one of three things will happen:
1) It doesn't work and you have to hit the arrow key once for every letter you want to go back.
2)It works, but is actually TOO fast, and blitzes past the letter you needed.
3) It works, but there's so much of an initial delay from when you first hold it down to when it finally starts moving, that you're pretty drat sure hitting the button for each letter would be faster.

Related: Every streaming and TV app interface ever.

Sure lets take 5 minute to type something out on this Ouija board UI with massive input lag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenistrator
Mar 27, 2007
Ask me about my burritos

ikanreed posted:

Maybe that will teach you a lesson about ever giving money to a tech company

I know this is a joke, but what's a good alternative? I'm thinking of doing either Sirius XM or just buying off bandcamp.

I want to avoid the gently caress outta Spotify because how little it pays independent artists.