Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I said come in! posted:

I had not realized Dark and Darker was available through its official website, but in retrospect that seems pretty obvious. At first I saw people saying that it was only available exclusively through a gaming platform called https://www.chafgames.com/

Right at release chaf was where you had a better chance of buying it - official site wouldn't populate price so wouldn't let you buy it unless you got super lucky. I bought it there but never got it added to my account so bought it from the official site once that worked and got a refund from chaf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Game is good, but I'm not. Lots of deaths.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

I said come in! posted:

I had not realized Dark and Darker was available through its official website, but in retrospect that seems pretty obvious. At first I saw people saying that it was only available exclusively through a gaming platform called https://www.chafgames.com/

It seemed that way to me too. Still not really interested in buying it directly if they wont promise a steam key eventually. Or they might just do the tarkov thing and only offer it from them from now on. I don't mind waiting either way.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Rubberbanding and stuttering is rapidly chipping away at my motivation to play, mainly because it's so drat random. One or two matches will be perfectly fine, then the next several will be totally hosed. Hopefully they have another performance patch up for the weekend or it will be a complete shitshow. Oh well, pains of EA.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Wow the gold sellers got to work fast. Curious how well Ironmace is setup to combat it. Trading wasn't difficult from what I remember, so the chances for a secondary market seem decent.

sushibandit posted:

Rubberbanding and stuttering is rapidly chipping away at my motivation to play, mainly because it's so drat random. One or two matches will be perfectly fine, then the next several will be totally hosed. Hopefully they have another performance patch up for the weekend or it will be a complete shitshow. Oh well, pains of EA.

I think it is for a lot of people, but I know they are actively trying to work on it. But so far the viewer count has been steadily slipping, so my guess is you aren't the only one affected, especially at a time like prime time (now) when the servers are likely getting slammed.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
Apparently they're walking back some of the microtransaction stuff:

https://www.pcgamer.com/in-the-face-of-player-backlash-dark-and-darker-developers-say-they-may-stop-selling-character-classes/

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Played all night with goons and had a little stuttering, nothing bad. I haven’t had any issues others have been having since release so who knows. Maybe I’m lucky. Shot my teammate in the back of the head during a fight and would do so again

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Endorph posted:

the website's sketch but they're a smaller dev team trying to manage a rollercoaster of up-and-down drama and probably got approached by a company from another country with a lot of cool sounding buzzwords. that doesnt completely absolve them of partnering with them or anything but idk why people are alleging a top down conspiracy

The 'another country' of South Korea, where Ironmace is also from. Honestly the implication is that Chaf Games was set up by Ironmace, since they're a 5 person operation that basically ONLY serves Dark and Darker and rando games that are probably either fake or not allowed to be sold by them. Like, they have a bunch of Team17 games on their store, but Team17 does not mention their games being on Chaf Games like.. at all.

IronicDongz posted:

^wasn't talking about whatever this is, I don't know why you'd go to anything but the website named after the game

this is not a game you wanna be playing at peak hours rn, the stuttering is borderline unplayable currently

Ironmace was telling people to buy it from Chaf Games, which is why people even know it exists.

No loving clue why they did this in the first place because the "No microtransaction" thing was one of the things that got people to support them.

Kchama fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Aug 10, 2023

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kchama posted:

The 'another country' of South Korea, where Ironmace is also from.
well the site claims theyre japanese so thats another layer of confusion

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Endorph posted:

well the site claims theyre japanese so thats another layer of confusion

Yeah when you brought that up while I was looking into them, it got me kind of suspicious of them to start with. I did some more poking around, and they only just launched like a month ago, and until D&D's launch day had basically no games on it. Their servers are apparently located in Japan, but they are English-serving only. Which reminds me of how Ironmace is located in South America (like Chaf Games) and only serves America/Europe.

EDIT: The EULA that you posted earlier is from LINE's EULA with Chaf Games edited in, which explains a lot. That's why there's stuff in there saying its a Japanese company, because they took the EULA from a Japanese company.

EDIT2: Chaf Games is so new they don't even have a way to get a new password if you forget yours. Your account has to be deleted and remade.

Kchama fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Aug 10, 2023

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
*turns corner*

ooough

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

IronicDongz posted:

*turns corner*

ooough

*record scratch* Yup, that's me. You're probably wondering how I got here ... Well it all started in the summer of '23...

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006

Kchama posted:

The 'another country' of South Korea, where Ironmace is also from. Honestly the implication is that Chaf Games was set up by Ironmace, since they're a 5 person operation that basically ONLY serves Dark and Darker and rando games that are probably either fake or not allowed to be sold by them. Like, they have a bunch of Team17 games on their store, but Team17 does not mention their games being on Chaf Games like.. at all.

https://pitchbook.com/profiles/company/527365-72

https://kr.linkedin.com/in/hyll

Not Iron Mace affiliated but might be friends with them

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It's good to be back.

BHB
Aug 28, 2011
bless the people letting Clerics slowly waddle over to them while spooling up all of their buffs.

You are already dead little rogue, your pokes do not hurt me any more.

BHB
Aug 28, 2011
let the cadence of my slappy feet sing you to the lobby.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

The real cleric question is - smite or judgement?

Also warlock can apparently use quarterstaffs too, which makes it a harder choice between them. I have blasted more than a few clerics trying to get in range of judgement by leading them into a hellfire that they think they can tank with a protetion for some reason.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

BHB posted:

bless the people letting Clerics slowly waddle over to them while spooling up all of their buffs.

You are already dead little rogue, your pokes do not hurt me any more.

Yeah. Therein lies the problem. When I have time to buff up and waddle into a fight I have a decent chance of winning. But cleric is slow, so all they need to do is run away and stay out of range until my buffs wear off, which isn’t hard.

The other issue is getting jumped. I mean, that’s an issue for every class and part of that is a problem of awareness, but without the chance to buff up and with the slow movement speed there isn’t much chance to survive. You have to hope they’re diving you without full health, or that you’re able to outmaneuver them because you probably can’t just trade hits.

One nice thing about Judgement is it includes a move speed debuff, which helps with the aforementioned issues. But, cast time is long, and I’ve definitely died getting smashed while I’m trying to cast it. Smite is much easier to work with in that regard.

Maybe part of my issue is that I’m pretty risk averse (don’t go into a fight with gear you aren’t willing to lose etc etc) and so most of my solo queue runs were more or less in full starter gear. That definitely ups the difficulty a little.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

Demon Of The Fall posted:

Played all night with goons and had a little stuttering, nothing bad. I haven’t had any issues others have been having since release so who knows. Maybe I’m lucky. Shot my teammate in the back of the head during a fight and would do so again

Your best headshot of the night :argh:

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Kchama posted:

Yeah when you brought that up while I was looking into them, it got me kind of suspicious of them to start with. I did some more poking around, and they only just launched like a month ago, and until D&D's launch day had basically no games on it. Their servers are apparently located in Japan, but they are English-serving only. Which reminds me of how Ironmace is located in South America (like Chaf Games) and only serves America/Europe.

EDIT: The EULA that you posted earlier is from LINE's EULA with Chaf Games edited in, which explains a lot. That's why there's stuff in there saying its a Japanese company, because they took the EULA from a Japanese company.

EDIT2: Chaf Games is so new they don't even have a way to get a new password if you forget yours. Your account has to be deleted and remade.

Is this true? Did a company defending itself in lawsuit about stealing an IP actually take a EULA from another company?

I mean, there is chance Ironmace owned it, or bought it, or something, but if it is true than the sheer audacity of it all would be mind blowing.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Still just watching streams, but rushing troll boss in goblin caves seems pretty busted. Sequisha was pulling back to back 900+ gold solo runs on a rogue

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
sitting around killing the same boss for 14 hours straight is a kind of dementia I'm glad I don't have

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

ShowTime posted:

Is this true? Did a company defending itself in lawsuit about stealing an IP actually take a EULA from another company?

I mean, there is chance Ironmace owned it, or bought it, or something, but if it is true than the sheer audacity of it all would be mind blowing.

Is EULA plagiarism even a thing? Isn’t it just a bunch of legalese and whatnot? I mean, stupid no matter what, but… idk. Regardless they probably should have just self-distributed because the optics of using some random no-name site to sell are bad and probably made more people not buy.

But at this point who cares? I can see not getting the game if you’re worried your access will get revoked due to the lawsuit or if you really want to guarantee you’ll get a steam key. Not me tho.

FWIW I got it yesterday and I’m enjoying it. It’s just too bad all this distribution stuff probably had an impact on the size of the playerbase (for now). Game fun.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
It was just be very ironic and telling that a company accused of this kind of stuff did it so directly. I'll have to read it myself, but if it can be traced back to that other company and is as direct as that message made it seem, the similarity is very telling. You'd think if you were in embroiled in a lawsuit accusing you of stealing a game, you'd avoid copying anything right now. You don't exactly keep repeating that behavior, even as seemingly insignificant as it may seem. Sure, I doubt that company owns the words, but you can't deny it would look bad if it's that obvious.

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe
most legal docs are drafted from other ones. i'd never start with a blank sheet... doesn't matter if it's a purchase and sale agreement, various loan docs, entity formation, etc. usually just take the latest and greatest template / version and go from there editing and updating as needed.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

ShowTime posted:

It was just be very ironic and telling that a company accused of this kind of stuff did it so directly. I'll have to read it myself, but if it can be traced back to that other company and is as direct as that message made it seem, the similarity is very telling. You'd think if you were in embroiled in a lawsuit accusing you of stealing a game, you'd avoid copying anything right now. You don't exactly keep repeating that behavior, even as seemingly insignificant as it may seem. Sure, I doubt that company owns the words, but you can't deny it would look bad if it's that obvious.

Every document like that is copied from another one. What makes that embarrassing is it's amateurish if it made it to the end user with obsolete references from the last company it was written for still left in it.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
What you both are describing is exactly what they are claiming they didn't do with P3.

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

Lol why are people convinced the weird publisher is secretly Ironmace? Do you really think they started a shell company subscription service to illegally offer Team17 games months prior to launch (at least since June) while they are in the middle of an active legal battle? I think its just a weird lovely startup that is throwing VC money around for devs to get onboard, no need to jump to getting conspiratorial

Also: lol

Just buy from the devs direct at their own website instead, its fine, game is good and much better than it was during the playtests

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Hell yeah game loving rules

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

ShowTime posted:

I'm not saying Chaf Games is Ironmace itself as opposed to just ran by one of their buddies, but yeah, Chaf Games's EULA is word for word the same as LINE's English EULA, right down to the mentioned of being a Japanese company located in Japan.

Ruggan posted:

Is EULA plagiarism even a thing? Isn’t it just a bunch of legalese and whatnot? I mean, stupid no matter what, but… idk. Regardless they probably should have just self-distributed because the optics of using some random no-name site to sell are bad and probably made more people not buy.

But at this point who cares? I can see not getting the game if you’re worried your access will get revoked due to the lawsuit or if you really want to guarantee you’ll get a steam key. Not me tho.

FWIW I got it yesterday and I’m enjoying it. It’s just too bad all this distribution stuff probably had an impact on the size of the playerbase (for now). Game fun.

It's less that it's plagarism, and more that it's amateur hour to not be able to have a EULA written up that reflects your company and, for example, where it is located and the laws of its land. As opposed to being the EULA for a company in a completely different country.

gay devil posted:

Lol why are people convinced the weird publisher is secretly Ironmace? Do you really think they started a shell company subscription service to illegally offer Team17 games months prior to launch (at least since June) while they are in the middle of an active legal battle? I think its just a weird lovely startup that is throwing VC money around for devs to get onboard, no need to jump to getting conspiratorial

Also: lol

Just buy from the devs direct at their own website instead, its fine, game is good and much better than it was during the playtests

I think they might be related, but only because Ironmace is a pretty smalltime company without a particularly big game and is in the middle of a big legal battle where they might not being able to sell the game for much longer, and they're integrated tightly enough to where as far as I know Dark and Darker is the only game to use Chafbux.

It seems like a really weird move for an unaffiliated small company to make. Like, IM is a bigger company than Chafgames, and has their own launcher. Why do they need Chaf Games at all? Literally the only people who know Chaf Games exist does so because Ironmace told people to go to their website and use them as the Steam-like distributor. Chaf Games has nothing to offer Ironmace.

Kchama fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Aug 11, 2023

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:

Demon Of The Fall posted:

Hell yeah game loving rules

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Ruggan posted:

Yeah. Therein lies the problem. When I have time to buff up and waddle into a fight I have a decent chance of winning. But cleric is slow, so all they need to do is run away and stay out of range until my buffs wear off, which isn’t hard.
if you save your buffs for pvp you can buff like 4-5x which is pretty long. you can jump while buffing to help maintain speed for chasing or distance

if you need to buy time again for rebuffing you can just go back to a door and close it. you don't have to throw on every buff before opening the door if they're timid and throw on the rest of the buffs when you rechase.

your only ranged snaring options are probably throwing a drum. i dont know if their aoe ranged nuke snares but i've used it to finish people off running away and the tooltip says it blinds them for 2s.

Fake Name
Mar 6, 2009

"Han Solo, ha. If I'm around, you don't need that guy."

Kchama posted:

It seems like a really weird move for an unaffiliated small company to make. Like, IM is a bigger company than Chafgames, and has their own launcher. Why do they need Chaf Games at all? Literally the only people who know Chaf Games exist does so because Ironmace told people to go to their website and use them as the Steam-like distributor. Chaf Games has nothing to offer Ironmace.

A cynical person might wonder if its a way to hide sales in case they expect to lose the lawsuit and have to pay Nexon for any sales made - if Chaffames misrepresent the amount of sales through then, or claim that they take 90% of all sales and Ironmace only get 10% then it could be an attempt to limit any payout .

The game is cool but with the main dev storing Nexon data on his own equipment, admitting to it and then deleting it with no proof that they did so causing their legal mess makes me think that they have very little in the way of business sense. If that is the case I hope they hire someone to handle the business side of things and keep the dev doing dev stuff.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Fake Name posted:

A cynical person might wonder if its a way to hide sales in case they expect to lose the lawsuit and have to pay Nexon for any sales made - if Chaffames misrepresent the amount of sales through then, or claim that they take 90% of all sales and Ironmace only get 10% then it could be an attempt to limit any payout .

The game is cool but with the main dev storing Nexon data on his own equipment, admitting to it and then deleting it with no proof that they did so causing their legal mess makes me think that they have very little in the way of business sense. If that is the case I hope they hire someone to handle the business side of things and keep the dev doing dev stuff.

I mean, the people who run the company ARE former Nexon managers, so it's not like they have a pedigree of integrity. Hell, the guy who runs Ironmace as the CEO was the dude who invented the kind of microtransactions that people think of when they want to talk about the worst excesses of microtransactions. I was glad to see that the excuse of "We're a small company, and it turns out that microtranscations make a lot of money, so just shut up and accept it" wasn't just accepted.

Kchama fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Aug 11, 2023

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
sure seems like utterly unfounded speculation until there's literally any evidence of it whatsoever

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

dark and darker, via ironmace studios...

covid makers, ukrainians tarred??? (dado)

my god... this goes all the way to the top... holy gently caress...

dark and darker... if you wrote it as dark & darker, thats 13 letters... you got there by removing 2 letters... 11... if you remove another two letters from 11, you get.. 9... oh my god... i think im gonna be sick...

these devs caused 9/11, covid, and the war in ukraine. holy gently caress

Fake Name
Mar 6, 2009

"Han Solo, ha. If I'm around, you don't need that guy."

Herstory Begins Now posted:

sure seems like utterly unfounded speculation until there's literally any evidence of it whatsoever

Yeah it's unfounded speculation, but I think a sketchy looking online store popping up with copy and pasted legal statements is fair to be treated with skepticism even if you ignore IMs legal issues.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
can't believe someone would just copy paste literal boilerplate that no one ever reads

this is the stupidest speculation seriously

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
reposting the goon discord. we had 2 groups going last night, calling all delvers! its still super early in EA so noobs are welcome to learn the ropes and most people are not even level 10 yet. this game is fun and even better with a few friends

https://discord.gg/wRNC5kfJ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Herstory Begins Now posted:

this is the stupidest speculation seriously

I mean, is it really? Nothing about this release tells me with 100% certainty that their legal battle is over and they're fully cleared to release this game without the threat of it being yanked and shut down out of nowhere. Maybe I'm an idiot but hearing the company that got their game taken down from steam for potentially stealing assets from another game has stolen the legal text preceding their game from another game is just another reason for me to be wary of buying this.