Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snackula
Aug 1, 2013

hedgefund wizard
It's unfair but fun to accuse games of including crafting systems simply because the devs were afraid of someone 'owning' them on Twitter by asking why the rats carry money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Snackula posted:

It's unfair but fun to accuse games of including crafting systems simply because the devs were afraid of someone 'owning' them on Twitter by asking why the rats carry money.

have you never met a rat irl? of course they're carrying money, it's shiny and transmits heat well

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

One thing that makes crafting more enjoyable is not having strict minimum requirements for ingredients, e.g. if I have 14 lava rocks and not 15, can I please just craft a Magnanimous Magma Mace and it will be a bit less powerful?

That's one thing I liked about the cooking in BotW, how things could be cooked with literally the most basic requirement (1 unit of 1 ingredient) and it was entirely up to the player to spend more or use better quality ingredients to raise the potency & combine effects.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Snackula posted:

Exciting Mac BG3 update for no one except me: game install is actually more like 80GB, no idea why the requirements say almost double that at 150.

It being almost exactly half as big makes me wonder if it's one of those games that needs to temporarily unpack all of its files while installing and/or patching.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Snackula posted:

Exciting Mac BG3 update for no one except me: game install is actually more like 80GB, no idea why the requirements say almost double that at 150.

Mac version is still early access I believe.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Talking about crafting is making me think of monster drops, and by extension the weird kinda backasswards tedious way Trails From Zero (and probably a huge chunk of the Trails series in general) handles fishing.

So, you can fish at certain areas using bait, which you get from monsters. And only from monsters, aside from the Super Special Bait you get from reaching the next to last fisherman rank. Which is kind of tedious, because it’s not like the drop rates are super high, or that there’s enemies that only drop worms and flies and not status ailment heals. But the super duper fun part is that you get to farm items to farm fish like river crabs for bait for the bigger guys. Just let me buy the basic bait and make drops a nice little bonus to save me some money, you know, like how 75% of monster drops are cooking materials you can already buy.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Phigs posted:

(not trying to poo poo on your post here btw)

My preferred crafting system is where you break down items into currency by selling them to a vendor and then use that currency to 'craft' from a selection of items at those vendors.

This is what Etrian Odyssey does and it's pretty good, so I'm on board.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I like systems that are crafting-adjacent, like when you can turn resources into power but via a different process. For example Shadow Hearts: From the new world has character advancement systems that have things in common with crafting (in so far as you fight enemies to get resources that then get traded for Stuff) but they are more certain and unique, like the protagonist being able to take enemy photos to trade for prizes and the same guy can be photoed multiple times making it far less grindy, or you can finish an enemy with the Cat attack special to get special coins for the cat's sidequest.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Fallout 4's crafting is decent imo, since you're combing through random junk anyway and the materials make sense. You need springs, so you keep an eye out for watches. Materials are guaranteed if you find something they come from.

And if you just can't find something, head into town and buy the junk or materials directly.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Byzantine posted:

Fallout 4's crafting is decent imo, since you're combing through random junk anyway and the materials make sense. You need springs, so you keep an eye out for watches. Materials are guaranteed if you find something they come from.

And if you just can't find something, head into town and buy the junk or materials directly.

Also, a feature that a lot of people completely overlook is that you can tag missing materials and the game will flag objects that break down into those materials for you.

Edit: It helps a ton that players already naturally like to hoard poo poo in Bethesda games. The crafting system gives you something to do with all the random junk you hoover up beyond sell it for money or fill a room full of cheese wheels or w/e. Settlements, for whatever else you want to say about 'em, also provide longer term crafting goals so the system isn't instantly rendered pointless once the player is done chasing personal character growth.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 18:34 on Aug 11, 2023

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
You can also tag materials you need for a specific recipe, and it will highlight the name of any item that breaks down into that material. So you don't need to remember everything, just grab things with the icon.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Tears of the Kingdom took "crafting" in two interesting directions, since on one hand you can fuse literally any item in the game to an arrow, shield, or weapon to give it different properties. On the other, you can collect materials and attach them together to make different vehicles and other contraptions, then save these custom contraptions to an autobuild menu.

Since the physics engine is robust, you can make generic fan+wing+steering stick flying machines, or you can make a Lynel Slapper 6000 that repeatedly backhands a Lynel across the face before it can react, allowing you to hop on its back and chainstab it. You can also do stuff like fusing a mushroom to a spear, which gives it bouncy properties, so instead of stabbing an enemy you just launch them through the air and off whatever ledge you're standing on. All of this works really well together, and it makes every individual item you pick up seem worthwhile since they have their purposes outside of just cooking and armor upgrades.

In spite of all that, armor upgrades as a crafting system still suck. Some armor will upgrade with lots of common materials, which is OK. Some armors upgrade with small amounts of rare materials, which are also OK! These are usually items so incredibly common, and guaranteed to be in certain places, or unique/rare items that are guaranteed from a specific source. But some armor upgrades require a moderate amount of uncommon items, items with a % chance to drop instead of guaranteed drops/spawns. I would rather gather 100 amber or 6 dragon scales than 15 Fire Lizalfos Tails :argh:

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

bawk posted:

Tears of the Kingdom took "crafting" in two interesting directions, since on one hand you can fuse literally any item in the game to an arrow, shield, or weapon to give it different properties. On the other, you can collect materials and attach them together to make different vehicles and other contraptions, then save these custom contraptions to an autobuild menu.

Since the physics engine is robust, you can make generic fan+wing+steering stick flying machines, or you can make a Lynel Slapper 6000 that repeatedly backhands a Lynel across the face before it can react, allowing you to hop on its back and chainstab it. You can also do stuff like fusing a mushroom to a spear, which gives it bouncy properties, so instead of stabbing an enemy you just launch them through the air and off whatever ledge you're standing on. All of this works really well together, and it makes every individual item you pick up seem worthwhile since they have their purposes outside of just cooking and armor upgrades.

In spite of all that, armor upgrades as a crafting system still suck. Some armor will upgrade with lots of common materials, which is OK. Some armors upgrade with small amounts of rare materials, which are also OK! These are usually items so incredibly common, and guaranteed to be in certain places, or unique/rare items that are guaranteed from a specific source. But some armor upgrades require a moderate amount of uncommon items, items with a % chance to drop instead of guaranteed drops/spawns. I would rather gather 100 amber or 6 dragon scales than 15 Fire Lizalfos Tails :argh:

I am having trouble upgrading a certain armor set to level 2, because it requires the horns of level 2 Captain Constructs, which have almost all been replaced by higher-level ones due to story progression.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Schubalts posted:

You can also tag materials you need for a specific recipe, and it will highlight the name of any item that breaks down into that material. So you don't need to remember everything, just grab things with the icon.

That takes level 2 of the Scrapper perk, though.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Dr Christmas posted:

I am having trouble upgrading a certain armor set to level 2, because it requires the horns of level 2 Captain Constructs, which have almost all been replaced by higher-level ones due to story progression.

If I remember right the trick here is to revisit shrines because some have fixed captains instead of dynamic ones. There may be a list online someplace. Still a HUGE pain in the rear end though

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

The best crafting is Dead Rising where you duct tape two or more weapons together to make a bigger weapon

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Opopanax posted:

The best crafting is Dead Rising where you duct tape two or more weapons together to make a bigger weapon

just tape a bunch of knives to a boxing glove and go ape poo poo

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Opopanax posted:

umm you cant do that in the first game

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Dead Rising 1 is the one where your crafting consists of making walk-faster coffee, so coffee, and carrying magazines to make your chainsaw last 3,000 swings.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

I'm mostly enjoying Immortals: Fenix Rising. Two things tho:

1) The game desperately needs a lock on system, especially for flying enemies.

2) The dialogue is terrible. It's basically what everyone accused the MCU movies for doing. Just a lot of "So, THAT happened" type lines.

Can't complain too hard. I got it for $6

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

grittyreboot posted:

I'm mostly enjoying Immortals: Fenix Rising. Two things tho:

1) The game desperately needs a lock on system, especially for flying enemies.

2) The dialogue is terrible. It's basically what everyone accused the MCU movies for doing. Just a lot of "So, THAT happened" type lines.

Can't complain too hard. I got it for $6

I like the bits between Zeus and Prometheus, but I generally found the game funny so I guess I'm just the target audience for that kind of humour.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Snackula posted:

Yeah, like why the random trash mobs in Neir carry stupid poo poo like coloring books and teddy bears! :rolleyes: :smith:

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Man, Nier Replicant is a masterclass in “how to make a really bad crafting system, like just the loving worst one ever seen in an 8/10 game”. You can ignore it by just not hating yourself and stick to one weapon, but the whole deal where you get to miss out on lore is still a drag.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

BioEnchanted posted:

I like the bits between Zeus and Prometheus, but I generally found the game funny so I guess I'm just the target audience for that kind of humour.

The early joke where Zeus cuts in with "Then Fenyx died" and the credits start rolling but they're all like 'Lord of the Universe - Zeus, Father of Gods and Men - Zeus," was perfect.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Byzantine posted:

The early joke where Zeus cuts in with "Then Fenyx died" and the credits start rolling but they're all like 'Lord of the Universe - Zeus, Father of Gods and Men - Zeus," was perfect.

I also love the bit where Zeus talks about Aphrodite's birth involving the pearl falling into the ocean, and Prometheus is like "THAT'S what you were told?" and he tells him the OTHER version where it wasn't a pearl but the testicle of one of the titans, and it's completely offscreen so all you hear is Zeus going "What? No! Grandpappy... You're SICK Prometheus!"

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

In Diablo 4 you would think that the people who designed the enemies and the people who designed skills would have worked together because Necromancer skills don't always makes sense. Like when you're fighting skeletons the skills Decompose, Hemorrhage and Blood Surge all rely on your enemies having blood and flesh, which they, you know, don't have..

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

muscles like this! posted:

In Diablo 4 you would think that the people who designed the enemies and the people who designed skills would have worked together because Necromancer skills don't always makes sense. Like when you're fighting skeletons the skills Decompose, Hemorrhage and Blood Surge all rely on your enemies having blood and flesh, which they, you know, don't have..

I mean, having a class who becomes functionally useless because "we decided to have a graveyard and crypt area" would kind of suck.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Randalor posted:

I mean, having a class who becomes functionally useless because "we decided to have a graveyard and crypt area" would kind of suck.

It's a necromancer I am sure there are other skills which could be buffed against undead to compensate

Tunicate has a new favorite as of 22:45 on Aug 12, 2023

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Skeletons being immune to poison or whatever sucks poo poo in games like Diablo 4 and them not doing that is a good thing. It's good in more simulationist style games, but ARPGs are about clicking on stuff and that stuff blowing up, and the game turning that off for a large subset of enemies for certain builds is just an annoying stop having fun mechanic.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

the magic gives them blood, then violently takes it away. wizards think about this sort of stuff when designing spells

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Randalor posted:

Melee characters couldn't lifeleech against Undead enemies in D2, making life even harder for generally underpowered characters. Some had to compensate using wands with lifetap curse charges, so clunky. I'm glad those days are over!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Things I am definitely concerned about when I play a new game: Do they simulate proper crop rotation? Where is the currency in this game made and can I see the entire process from start to finish? Where do they keep all those weapons/ items/ and armor? How come the food/potions don't spoil in your inventory? How come there's no gun jamming mechanic? Why does nobody ever sneeze or get hiccups? How does rubbing your arms with a health pack refill your health bar? Why does food make you healthy as if you'd never been shot or fallen off that cliff?

A stringent pursuit for realism leads you to an 8 year estimate to figuring out how to become a Jedi. Now everyone's so spoiled and wants to use a lightsaber by minute 3 and double jump and cut droids in half.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5eXYQ-TyRE

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Blunt instruments do more damage to skeletons

That's still true, right??

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

credburn posted:

Blunt instruments do more damage to skeletons

That's still true, right??

No Diablo 4 is just Diablo 3 made slow like Diablo 2.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Tunicate posted:

It's a necromancer I am sure there are other skills which could be buffed against undead to compensate
Half your spells turning off but being able to mind control them instead would be way cooler yes.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Diablo 4 could've really used something to differentiate one combat encounter from the next. The whole game just felt like a homogenous gruel of "hold mouse button on enemies until enemies gone, move fowards". But I guess the people who are into it like that kind of thing.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Yeah that sounds like Diablo

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

D4 definitely suffers from barely any interesting set pieces.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

D4 definitely suffers from barely any interesting set pieces.

I was reasonably engaged by the story missions the first playthrough (though they were often one-note and there's a particular moment where someone is just pants-on-head stupid for no reason other than to create cheap drama) but yeah, there's nothing there that I'm interested in revisiting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I already have a game where I hold one button until all the enemies are dead and its called Gauntlet